• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you like smash64 over melee and brawl?

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
okay so i should get brawl again and play a metaknight so i know i can have a unfair advantage on winning? That's not fun to me.
You are acting :metaknight: has at least 6:4 advantage on everyone in the game. Guess what, he doesn't.

How is it unfair to fight MK? Just be a better player. I know a lil' about you from YT and I have yet to see you rank in off/online tournies, or even footage of you playing Brawl in general.

Yoshiking

Smash Apprentice
You are acting :metaknight: has at least 6:4 advantage on everyone in the game. Guess what, he doesn't.

How is it unfair to fight MK? Just be a better player. I know a lil' about you from YT and I have yet to see you rank in off/online tournies, or even footage of you playing Brawl in general.
I don't have smash brawl anymore. waste of 50 bucks

AXE 09

Smash Master
You are acting :metaknight: has at least 6:4 advantage on everyone in the game. Guess what, you're absolutely right
Fixed

In my eyes:

Melee > 64 > Brawl > Brawl +

I can honestly say that I love watching 64 as much as Melee. The combos are AMAZING, which is probably why I enjoy it so much. I honestly don't play 64 much at all, but I think that if i started getting into it competitively, I might like it almost as much as Melee. Just watching it makes me jump out of my seat lol. I've honestly always wanted to start playing 64 just to do these amazing combos, but I just haven't had the time to.

Although I think the combos in 64 are the best, I like the overall speed in Melee better. The amount of techskill involved, the speed at which you have to use your fingers, and the incredible mindgames make this game more enjoyable to me.

I played brawl competitively for about 3 or 4 months, and... I just didn't like it. I was so sick of camping, and Brawl had nothing to offer over Melee. I also hated how unbalanced it was. In order to beat a Metaknight player, you have to be like 20x better than them just because the character is that broken. The worst feeling ever is when you KNOW that you're better than someone, but then they pick MK and win.

Brawl + is more balanced than Brawl and they added the ability to combo, but... for some reason I don't even like it as much as regular Brawl. Yes, I have played Brawl + (if any of you know The Cape, he helped create Brawl + and I used to play with him from time to time). Idk why but I just didn't like Brawl + as much, maybe because it (as someone stated earlier) it just lacked the powerful feeling whenever you hit someone. Again... this is just my opinion, so please don't yell at me lol.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I basically feel the same way Axe does. I can pick up S64 and thoroughly enjoy it, even if I'm bad. Melee is the same. The combo creativity in both is what inspires me to play them (although I don't play S64 much if ever) both. Brawl and Brawl + are bleh but I still play with friends who don't want to play Melee (or enjoy B over M). It's not as fun for me and I could never see myself playing it competitively but when playing with friends, I'm fine. Brawl + was bleh for me. I played it, enjoyed it but it got boring just as fast as VBrawl did. The difference between VBrawl and Brawl + to me is that Brawl is played by a lot more people I know so I'd much rather play a boring game that my friends play than a boring game that no one plays. [that and the feeling in B+ doesn't flow nearly as well)

Haven't tried Balanced Brawl so can't say.

Axe is my hero.

tl;dr Smash 64 is legit because of combos and stuff. Equal on my fun level with Melee but isn't nearly in-depth enough for me to get into it competitively.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
SSB 64 and Melee > Brawl.

Smash 64 and melee are both very fun to play competitvely. I am primarily a 64 player mostly, but I do have fun playing melee sometimes even though I'm no good at it to competitively, because it's so much different than 64. They're both fun games to play just for fun and competitively, even though they're very different.

The only way brawl is fun to me is playing it just for fun with friends who aren't good at the game either and we're just hanging out.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Yeah I kind of feel this way too if Melee ever gets playable online.
I used to think like this, until I realized that the ******ry in melee sometimes proportionally larger levels than 64 ever could, such as defensive play by falco/peach/puff/etc. Sure kirby utilts are irritating, but you know that once you touch kirby he's gonna take damage.

Peek ~

Smash Cadet
i'm not gonna lie, I like smash 64's gameplay better than Melee. I like melee a lot but I do think smash 64 is better in terms of gameplay

dch111

Smash Journeyman
also the sounds are meatier. melee sounds like one big pillow fight. with a few razorblades.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
One thing I don't get about graphics in both 64 and melee is that the Yoshi graphics are terrible (64, he's playdoh. Melee, he's a barbie doll or something similar). What does nintendo have against Yoshi? :p

smakis

Smash Ace
melee > ssb64, I love ssb64 and play it almost every day, but I would pick melee over ssb64 anyday.

D

Deleted member

melee > ssb 64 > brawl- > brawl > brawl+

the core gameplay of ssb64 is good but the stages kinda suck. The game is fairly tiny even if combos are crazy.

the fairest stage, hyrule, is fair because every character gets infinite combos in the pit

dreamland, the 2nd "fairest" stage is too freakin small and gives a huge advantage to 1/3 of the cast

a big + and - is that the majority of players still suck. Most players can still jump in and have fun because they get some success beating noobs. Unfortunately good players are rare and even rarer are good players that don't play abusively. Smash 64 is all about getting that opening hit to get that big combo but the majority of good players will camp forever to get it instead of pressuring the enemy aggressively

being good in 64 is like being good at a crappy academic school. Everyone sucking is why you are good

the community is way too little, the server that everyone goes to is in the east coast because Near, a west coaster, decided it would be a good idea if he had a server in the far east

melee is faster, more technical, and has a better community

smash 64 though is still a great game and very fun when u just mess around with ur buddies but once people take it competitively its quite slow, boring, gay

--

brawl and the wii console suck and i'm proud to have not wasted money on that horrid console

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
You realize that the very foundation of anyone's success in 64 is mostly technical skill to pull off combos? Technical also can be read as "more options". Melee has a ****load more options that allow for complex, technical play (which is conducive to prediction and mindgame play). This is always a good thing.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. It makes the game more competitive - creates a more noticeable gap between the beginners and the seasoned pros. That's something that appeals to me.
Sure. But it's not an interesting skill gap if the only difference is technical skill. Who cares if I can beat my friend that can't z cancel? It just shows that I can press a button with slightly better timing. I play the game because I like the strategy involved in playing against another person.

For example, would ssb64 be better if z cancels had only a 2 frame window? This would make the game require a lot more tech skill, and very few people would be able to z cancel successfully. The people that could z cancel would obviously be way better than those that couldn't, creating a big skill gap. But this isn't a good thing. The skill gap should be based on strategy, reads, mindgames etc, not technical skill.

You realize that the very foundation of anyone's success in 64 is mostly technical skill to pull off combos? Technical also can be read as "more options". Melee has a ****load more options that allow for complex, technical play (which is conducive to prediction and mindgame play). This is always a good thing.
Technical skill isn't always equivalent to more options. The fact that you have to z cancel at all takes way more technical skill than automatic z canceling, but it doesn't lead to any more options. More tech skill can lead to more options and strategy as you said, but it's a trade off between that and making the game accessible to beginners. Obviously the game wouldn't be as deep without tilt moves, which require some tech skill to do. Another example is sports. The fact that it takes tech skill to make a shot in basketball generates a lot of strategy since so much of defense is trying to force your opponent to take a shot that is more technically difficult.

But there is a point of ridiculousness. If it takes an insane amount of tech skill just to be able to really play the game and execute the strategies, then the game probably isn't worth playing. Even if the tech skill leads to depth, to most beginners it's not worth the time investment to learn all the tech skill.

Ideally, a game would be strategically deep without requiring any difficult, uninteresting technical skill, and that's why I support removing unnecessary tech skill from games (like z cancels).

For ssb64 in particular, I don't think that combos are the be all end all of the game. Getting the first hit is much more important at a high level, especially since many of the combos usually do not require that much technical skill so most good players can do them.

Also part of the reason I like ssb64 is that the combos are not purely technical skill like in some other games. Besides the obvious example of DI, tech chasing, and making reads, you still have to adjust your combos for things like walls and platforms, which makes it so there aren't set combos in the way that there are in traditional fighting games where you're always on a flat stage. The gameplay mechanic of trying to knock your opponent off the stage provides combo variety as well, and the fact that the characters are all different weights. It often takes a lot of knowledge of the game and creativity to combo in ssb64, as opposed to just memorizing set combos.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would consider l-cancelling an unneeded technical hindrance. But there are some tactics that revolve around the l-cancelling system. Example: Light shielding with Nana and regular shielding with Popo makes it hard for people to l-cancel when they hit your shields. This is a new level of depth to thought and "options" that wouldn't have been possible if those technical elements didn't exist.

Wavedashing and fastfalling are beautiful examples of things that require tech skill, yet being able to do them does not automatically make you good. Example: My little brother is 11. He can wavedash on command. However, he does not know how to apply it, and therefore has no uses for it. The fact that wavedashing existed opens up more options. But being able to wavedash does not necessarily make you better.

Case in point: if a game is more technical, it means there are more options. The technical aspect isn't unnecessary because it adds a new level of depth.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
That's the tradeoff I'm talking about. Is L cancelling worth it because of a few edge cases where it adds some small amount of depth, which is really just a timing exercise? Not really in my opinion. It makes it way harder to get new people to play the game.

Wavedashing and fast falling are fine, because they're not too hard to do at all (fast falling really couldn't be easier actually). Wavedashing is harder, and maybe it would be nice if the timing window was a bit bigger, but it's not terrible.

Also I completely disproved this statement already "if a game is more technical, it means there are more options." I mean, take melee but make wavedashing have a smaller timing window and boom your game is more technical with no extra options.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I dont like it as much as melee, definitely like it more than brawl, but I think the number one thing that draws me in is that its a whole new way to use link, and plus the game is just generally awesome.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Guys I have to share this with fellow 64 enthusiasts,

first of all I only use R in 64 most of the time, I play CFAL and his grab is awesome (R), his aerials are so baller (R), and you can cancel them with (R) as well.

I of course use b and a occasionally but mostly just R. I found a virgin 64 controller with autofire and I put R on autofire, it makes my aerials come out as quick as possible when I hold it down in the air, and I just hold it down till i hit the floor and it automatically R cancels for me. When I keep holding it on the ground I do the best move (grab).

There is nothing more liberating than playing this game with this controller and autofire, I feel so powerful fast and unique!

DMoogle

A$
Guys I have to share this with fellow 64 enthusiasts,

first of all I only use R in 64 most of the time, I play CFAL and his grab is awesome (R), his aerials are so baller (R), and you can cancel them with (R) as well.

I of course use b and a occasionally but mostly just R. I found a virgin 64 controller with autofire and I put R on autofire, it makes my aerials come out as quick as possible when I hold it down in the air, and I just hold it down till i hit the floor and it automatically R cancels for me. When I keep holding it on the ground I do the best move (grab).

There is nothing more liberating than playing this game with this controller and autofire, I feel so powerful fast and unique!
I, for one, am happy you shared this.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Wavedashing is SO much harder than L-canceling.
Disagree but even if this is the case wavedashing actually adds something to the game, it's another option, l cancelling doesn't add much because you should always l cancel. It's just an extra timing exercise.

Wavedashing does start to get a little on the ridiculous side with wavelanding, which takes a lot more practice IMO.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I see NOTHING wrong with having to have technical ability. EVERY other competitive fighting game takes a certain amount of techskill. I will agree, L canceling was a bad idea (even tho I love it) but techskill IS NOT a bad thing. techskill is half, mindgames is the other to make a whole. I would much rather have the challenge of concuring two things than one. It would suck if techskill wasn't there to balance out the two. If someone naturally has good mindgames they're automatically going to be good because there's no techskill (barwl).

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Mindgames are actually interesting though, tech skill is just boring practice. Any fighting game is going to require plenty of tech skill, since you have to time your moves, space, etc. It's just stupid to make the inputs to do techniques any harder than they need to be.

That's one of the reasons smash is cool is that at a basic level it is really simple to explain how to do all the moves. You don't have to do any quarter circles or zig zags with the joystick to do moves. That helps beginners get into the game. But then the problem is you **** them with your crazy advanced techniques like waveshines and other **** that they can't do at all and would have to practice for weeks or months to learn.

Playing against another person and the mindgames and strategy involved are what makes the game fun for me. If I wanted to just practice tech skill I would take up juggling or something :laugh:

Yeepride987

Smash Rookie
I prefer SSB64 over the rest of the smash games because of 3 things: longer stun frames, stages, and shield breaker combos. When you have these options, it makes the games simple yet extremely costly if you mess up against someone whose decent. The game itself is effective and proves that all moves can be used for something useful no matter how stale. However, jigglypuff's Sing is complete ****

dandan

Smash Lord
I prefer SSB64 over the rest of the smash games because of 3 things: longer stun frames, stages, and shield breaker combos. When you have these options, it makes the games simple yet extremely costly if you mess up against someone whose decent. The game itself is effective and proves that all moves can be used for something useful no matter how stale. However, jigglypuff's Sing is complete ****
tele sing ***** :laugh:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Nostalgic factor for me mostly, it's just so much fun.

Was crazy about it as a kid and still am.

Top Bottom