• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Wait.......Sakurai has a Msn/Smashboards/Facebook/whatever the hell has an inbox for Pm account? SERIOUSLY XD? lol kidding

Anyway, opinion time!!!!! I like Mewtwo. He was an original character and i think could become better. I sucked major a*s with him, but i used him anyway (Though i like Lucario just a bit more as a playable character. In Pokemon Mewtwo > Lucario). I'm ok for Roy. Mained him for a while before moving onto Marth. He was forced to drop down to secondary.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Pretty much. Time constraints, and fan complaints... heh heh.
Hopefully next time we will all learn to shut the hell up. Myself included. If anyone DARES Sakurai and co. to hurry, they will be shown no mercy. I will NOT have something like Brawl ever happen again. Sakurai could delay the game an extra year, and I wouldn't care if that meant more characters and stages, and a polished game overall. Really. I wouldn't care in the least.
I would too.

I was patient since school was keeping me busy, but dang I would wait another year if we could have gotten Roy, Mewtwo, and even some extra characters to boot.

I like Brawl, but I'd wait another year for more extra goodies and fine tuning.

Steelia

Smash Champion
So what have you been doing all this time?
Playing Brawl,
quitting Brawl,
signing whatever petitions I can find,
and sending mass emails to Nintendo in regards to Mewtwo's cut.
Then, whenever I DO eventually log into Brawl, I either submit a custom Mewtwo-esque stage, or I submit my picture of trophy Mewtwo with the comment being "WHY?" or "Why?" for that day.

Great stuff.

woopyfrood said:
Ya, we should get the word out. If you don't want Brawl to happen again, next time don't complain about delays. You're risking your favorite newcomers from the last game.
Too true, too true.

Abyss Master

Smash Rookie
You don't know how much you appreciate anyone until they're gone.

Except for me. I never really mained or played as either of them. Marth covered Roy for me and Mewtwo was just blegh. But hey, if they keep Jigglypuff then keep everyone else too.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Except for me. I never really mained or played as either of them. Marth covered Roy for me and Mewtwo was just blegh. But hey, if they keep Jigglypuff then keep everyone else too.
Thing is, Jiggs was with the Original 12... thus practically making her immortalized in future Smash rosters. Now, I can't say that this is a guarantee, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai won't let anything happen to her as she's made it this far (same goes for Ness and the like).
So... I don't know if using the Jiggs excuse will work, given she's with from the first Smash game. Now, someone like Mr. Game & Watch, being the obscurity that he is, is probably a better choice.
"If they can keep Mr. Game & Watch, then they should keep everyone else, too."
Hmm.

< Has nothing against Mr. Game. >

IDK

Smash Lord
you know? when brawl came out i was pissed that roy was out because i mained him in melee... because i sucked. but now that i've gotten good at brawl and started playing melee again lately except being knowledgeable and actually kind of good... i don't really care too much. I mean... marth is my main in melee and second in brawl... and now that i think about it i don't even use roy and probably wouldn't if he were in brawl. on the other hand, i am always open to any character being in brawl just to give it more substance. i feel like brawl will just get boring when we run out of stuff to discover. If Roy were in the game it would be good just to give us someone else's metagame to develop... which is why i think that the reason sakurai kind of de-cloned some people helped a little. (ex: falco's reflector, laser, aerials... compared to fox's in melee vs. brawl)

Abyss Master

Smash Rookie
Thing is, Jiggs was with the Original 12... thus practically making her immortalized in future Smash rosters. Now, I can't say that this is a guarantee, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai won't let anything happen to her as she's made it this far (same goes for Ness and the like).
So... I don't know if using the Jiggs excuse will work, given she's with from the first Smash game. Now, someone like Mr. Game & Watch, being the obscurity that he is, is probably a better choice.
"If they can keep Mr. Game & Watch, then they should keep everyone else, too."
Hmm.

< Has nothing against Mr. Game. >
That may be, but I still say that if they can keep Jigglypuff, then they should be able to keep anyone.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I bet you guys will be soo happy when you pass university and get permission to work with Nintendo ^^

Denzi

Smash Master
We care 'cause r0y h4z f1re!!
and because M3w2 h4z p0w3rful gr4bz!!!

Other than that, my beliefs are similar to those of IDK.

TheBlackLink

Smash Cadet
Hmm, interesting indeed. I do find it rather funny that people choose to pick out Roy and Mewtwo now of all times. But what I really think is this, my brother mained Roy back in teh Melee dayz, and I played as the telekinetic cat every once and awhile. But do my brother or I really try to replace them with suitable brawl characters? Nah, we just play as different people.

I think most people are mad about thier exclusion now, simply because they were excluded. No matter what, peeps are gonna be upset about the characters that are left out in new installments, because most people want the roster to add characters, rather than take some away, even if they never play as said characters.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think that's about it...

The reason NON-Mewtwo/Roy/Pichu/YLink fans are pissed is because them getting cut completely throws every BRAWL newcomer into the air by next Smash.

Oh yeah, one of Steelia's ideas was that Young Link's new move set would be compromised of his masks from, you guessed it, tLoZ Majora's Mask...

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think that's about it...

The reason NON-Mewtwo/Roy/Pichu/YLink fans are pissed is because them getting cut completely throws every BRAWL newcomer into the air by next Smash.

Oh yeah, one of Steelia's ideas was that Young Link's new move set would be compromised of his masks from, you guessed it, tLoZ Majora's Mask...
We don't need Young Link, we've got Toon Link.

Steelia

Smash Champion
We don't need Young Link, we've got Toon Link.
I know that... I just thought it'd be an interesting concept to have a Link with the masks... Seeing him transform into a modernized Fierce Deity Link would be AWESOME.

TheBlackLink said:
I do find it rather funny that people choose to pick out Roy and Mewtwo now of all times. But what I really think is this, my brother mained Roy back in teh Melee dayz, and I played as the telekinetic cat every once and awhile. But do my brother or I really try to replace them with suitable brawl characters? Nah, we just play as different people.
The main reason people are complaining now is...
Actually, we've always been complaining. It's just that our ideas were thrown out as random posts ("I love the music in Brawl. Too bad [suchandsuch] won't be played with it."), rather than in collective topics for viewing (such as this one). Now with this topic in particular made, our voices are finally being collected as one... making it a bit more apparent as to just how many people have been missing these cut characters.

Plus, before, no one, NO one though that someone like Mewtwo was going to be cut. Roy, ehh, I guess people figured he'd be back or something. Doc, Pichu and Young Link weren't big surprises. But it's kind of hard to complain... when you don't know whether someone's been cut or not. People began complaining that Ness was cut from Brawl due to Lucas's appearance, but whadayaknow, he was in the whole time.

Really, now, Mewtwo... since when has Jigglypuff had priority over you?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. on the 64.
Gahhh. Can't say I didn't expect that. :p

Well, well. Interesting news (pardon for slight off-topic... it will get back ON topic shortly, you'll see why), and possibly a little hope for us all.

Something currently codenamed the "Wii HD" is apparently underway. Working on better visuals and all that good stuff, so that it can be a "true" new generation system. This may not sound interesting at first... but upon closer inspection...:

High definition visuals are assured, as is a greater emphasis on digitally distributed and backwardly compatible content, indicating that the new system will feature some form of local storage medium such as a hard drive or large flash memory solution.
You all thinking what I'm thinking? ;) (Perhaps I'm thinking a little too much...)

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
^ It's still a rumour though, even if is true its too far a date. If you're talking about downloadable contant for that like I said, too far a date and wouldn't interest in adding any content at all to smash or any of Nintendo's current games be over by then?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
New Console = New Smash Brothers

Come oooooon, Two-Thousand-And-Eleven! Save us from Brawl! Eradicate tripping!...or at least let you be able to toggle it on-and-off...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Bump of love for our five forgotten ones.

New Console = New Smash Brothers

Come oooooon, Two-Thousand-And-Eleven! Save us from Brawl! Eradicate tripping!...or at least let you be able to toggle it on-and-off...
I hear that. That would be sweet if that new Wii thing had another Smash game for it... We'll finally have graphics that will surpass that of the Wii and possibly be on par with the X360 and PS3 (I can only imagine how THAT would look like), and more than likely downloadable content. I REALLY hope there's downloadable content.

And Mewtwo.

Whenever I feel I'm losing ranting steam, I just watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2-1rccQes&feature=user ...and it all comes back to me. :)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I just remembered something interesting.

You know all those kiddies who turned on their TVs, and THE VERY FIRST Pokemon related thing they ever saw was the anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPCZz4n7Zc

Can you spot something VERY special relating that video to what I just said?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I always cared. I had a Roy sig and everything, and I was one of the most active members of the pro-Mewtwo group. Heck-I inspired people with my ideas (that I shared and borrowed from other smart people) of potential awesome upgrades for Mewtwo, as well as with my Roy completely de-cloned moveset... >_>

I think I accepted Roy wouldn't be in Brawl (or his chances were low), whilst Mewtwo I KNEW was in Brawl (I was that sure). Sadly I was but a mere delay off (ONE MORE DELAYZZZ PLZ!!!). Sadly it seemed like only casuals, Fire Emblem 6 fans (great game by the way), and Roy fans cared about Roy. Everyone else seemed to hate him with a passion for being a clone (despite loving Falco, despite being as much-if not more of a clone [although I by no means hate Falco. I'm just using him as a example >_>).

When SSB4 comes around we gotta demand those two back like it's the 80's and small biker shorts over pants is running out of style and we don't want it to die. Or we're a bunch of drunk farmers who hate taxes and suddenly get taxed. Yeah-stuff like that is the type of stuff we need to do, along with riots, mosh pits, and a whole lot of random posts about pink polar bears in Portugal.

:chuckle: :laugh: :chuckle:

Seriously-riots, mosh pits, and a lot of Johnknight1 worship. Let's go.

Edit: That rant is lame. He hated on Ness and EarthBound, which is ironic, because Pokémon is predominately based off Ness' game, EarthBound (boy goes and collects 8 stones, has a "main rival", fights monsters, gets friends, gets rivals, fights 8 "bosses", and has a final challenge with his "rival"). And Lucario hating won't get us anywhere. Now Sheik hating on the other hand will get us a lot of places. A LOT OF GOOD PLACES! Like "zOMG! b00b5 cunf1rm3d!!!" places! :laugh:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I always cared. I had a Roy sig and everything, and I was one of the most active members of the pro-Mewtwo group. Heck-I inspired people with my ideas (that I shared and borrowed from other smart people) of potential awesome upgrades for Mewtwo, as well as with my Roy completely de-cloned moveset... >_>

I think I accepted Roy wouldn't be in Brawl (or his chances were low), whilst Mewtwo I KNEW was in Brawl (I was that sure). Sadly I was but a mere delay off (ONE MORE DELAYZZZ PLZ!!!). Sadly it seemed like only casuals, Fire Emblem 6 fans (great game by the way), and Roy fans cared about Roy. Everyone else seemed to hate him with a passion for being a clone (despite loving Falco, despite being as much-if not more of a clone [although I by no means hate Falco. I'm just using him as a example >_>).

When SSB4 comes around we gotta demand those two back like it's the 80's and small biker shorts over pants is running out of style and we don't want it to die. Or we're a bunch of drunk farmers who hate taxes and suddenly get taxed. Yeah-stuff like that is the type of stuff we need to do, along with riots, mosh pits, and a whole lot of random posts about pink polar bears in Portugal.

TO INFINITY, AND BOYOND!...and then a little bit further!...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I was never a Mewtwo main, but I thought having him in was cool, just because he was a unique villian. I dont fully understand the entire "forbidden 7" thing, but once Nintendo starts "Nintendo WiFi Pay-To-Play", there's always the shot that both Mewtwo and Roy will be patched in anyway.

Steelia

Smash Champion
....Why are you supporting that rant exactly?
Yeah, I can understand it's heartfelt plea, but it IS a pretty mean rant.
It's merely a source of motivation, if anything. I love hearing how someone goes all out with how they feel... Sure, there are points I don't agree with at all (I simply adore Lucas in Brawl, for example, and I love all the characters on the roster, even Lucario)... but the guy DOES have his points.
Reality is harsh, as is this rant. I find it fitting. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPCZz4n7Zc

Can you spot something VERY special relating that video to what I just said?
Argh, ya beat me to it. >_<

So far, Mewtwo is the FIRST Pokemon you see in the opening of the FIRST season of Pokemon...
He has two specials (Mewtwo Returns and Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon)...
He has two movies (Mewtwo Strikes Back and the Origin of Mewtwo [is this a movie or a special?])...
And his second special, Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, is INCLUDED with Lucario & the Mystery of Mew movie.

Oh, the irony.

Edit: That rant is lame. He hated on Ness and EarthBound, which is ironic, because Pokémon is predominately based off Ness' game, EarthBound (boy goes and collects 8 stones, has a "main rival", fights monsters, gets friends, gets rivals, fights 8 "bosses", and has a final challenge with his "rival"). And Lucario hating won't get us anywhere. Now Sheik hating on the other hand will get us a lot of places. A LOT OF GOOD PLACES! Like "zOMG! b00b5 cunf1rm3d!!!" places! :laugh:

Nice. I shall join you in SSB4 rioting! We will hijack their ship, and toss that tea overboard for a party in Boston!
...Or something.

I was never a Mewtwo main, but I thought having him in was cool, just because he was a unique villian. I dont fully understand the entire "forbidden 7" thing, but once Nintendo starts "Nintendo WiFi Pay-To-Play", there's always the shot that both Mewtwo and Roy will be patched in anyway.
Hmm. Don't think I've ever heard of this "Wifi Pay-to-Play" campaign. Since how long has this idea sprung up? >_>

kuro06

Smash Cadet
It's merely a source of motivation, if anything. I love hearing how someone goes all out with how they feel... Sure, there are points I don't agree with at all (I simply adore Lucas in Brawl, for example, and I love all the characters on the roster, even Lucario)... but the guy DOES have his points.
Reality is harsh, as is this rant. I find it fitting. :)
..He didn't at all the rant showed that he was a typical whiny fanboy. Mewtwo is NOT more important than Pkmn trainer...he freaking represents what Pokemon is all about Mewtwo was only a sidequest and was briefly was mentioned every now and again in the games, just like the legendary birds.

I could break down his points for awhile but all seriousness he guy needs to get his head out of his *** realize that pokemon is different like it was back in the day that's the reality of it.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
..He didn't at all the rant showed that he was a typical whiny fanboy. Mewtwo is NOT more important than Pkmn trainer...he freaking represents what Pokemon is all about Mewtwo was only a sidequest and was briefly was mentioned every now and again in the games, just like the legendary birds.

I could break down his points for awhile but all seriousness he guy needs to get his head out of his *** realize that pokemon is different like it was back in the day that's the reality of it.
1. Nobody cared about the humans in the game. Ever.

2. Pokemon is the exact same **** thing, only more lame nowadays...

3. FireRed and LeafGreen.

Just pointing some things out...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nice. I shall join you in SSB4 rioting! We will hijack their ship, and toss that tea overboard for a party in Boston!
...Or something.
Only in AMERICA!!!

Hmm. Don't think I've ever heard of this "Wifi Pay-to-Play" campaign. Since how long has this idea sprung up? >_>
It's been around since Febuary of this year when Iwata first announced it. Not much has come up on it, though.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I still seen a lot of people cared about Roy and Mewtwo. My friend likes Roy over Ike I find it amusing

RoboticTuna

Smash Cadet
I mean, seriously. Very few people cared about them before Brawl was released. But once they were confirmed to not be in the game, people became butthurt about for them.

Almost no one like Roy: Fire Emblem fans, Smash Players, tier worshippers, even Sakurai himself. Not only that, people WANTED him not to be Brawl.

For Mewtwo, it's worse. He was rarely played at all. And of course, the tier worshippers didn't like him.

So yeah, I would like to know why people cried about them not being in when the odds are, they were the same people who didn't even played as them.
I cared about Mewtwo...
:(

Haha, in any case, I was angry mostly because they take THE pokemon, the star of the first movie, the coolest pokemon ever IMO, and replace him with a dog who's not even a legendary when they could have easily kept him in and updated his moveset.

I am not amused. -_-

AlexX

Smash Ace
Haha, in any case, I was angry mostly because they take THE pokemon, the star of the first movie, the coolest pokemon ever IMO, and replace him with a dog who's not even a legendary when they could have easily kept him in and updated his moveset.
Ah, but lucario is now the one the furries want a piece of, not mewtwo. And since we all know Japan has this bizarre obsession with furries, it's only natural they'd turn their focus to lucario.

2. Pokemon is the exact same **** thing, only more lame nowadays...
Says you! >:[

So far, Mewtwo is the FIRST Pokemon you see in the opening of the FIRST season of Pokemon...
We forget that Japan is all that matters? Well, at least Charizard fans were appeased...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Guys, I just thought of a sure-fire way to bring back Mewtwo:

We have to give him his own internet Meme.

AlexX

Smash Ace
The first American intro is a thousand times
better
more hilarious.
The Japanese one specifically mentions searching "under that girl's skirt" as Pikachu runs under it (hence the scream). I think that qualifies as "more hilarious".

Guys, I just thought of a sure-fire way to bring back Mewtwo:

We have to give him his own internet Meme.
He already has one. You can see it in the first reply to the SBR character discussion thread in the tactics forum.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
The Japanese one specifically mentions searching "under that girl's skirt" as Pikachu runs under it (hence the scream). I think that qualifies as "more hilarious".
That's not hilarious, that's Japanese ecchi that's been done thousands of times before...

AlexX

Smash Ace
That's not hilarious, that's Japanese ecchi that's been done thousands of times before...
It's not ecchi because it doesn't actually show anything. It does, however, show that Pikachu loves to sneak looks. QUICK! Get him away from Peach and Zelda!

Top Bottom