• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

kuro06

Smash Cadet
I think my logic here is that if he could merit an appearance in Melee, he should return to Brawl. Screw GameFreak's opinion. Character's shouldn't be cut.
*Shrug* Characters being removed from fighting games happen all the time. If a character really isn't popular or the designer isn't interested in that character he/she is going to get cut..that simple. GameFreak own the rights for Mewtwo since they make the pokemon company so their opinion on which pokemon goes in the next game is mainly up to Gamefreak to decide.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Ah, but you see, Super Smash Bros. is different. It only has one game per console, and, mind you, other fighting games make the roster NUMBER look rather wimpy. Super Smash Bros. needs all the characters it can get.

Also, Mewtwo has the most coding and files in the game out of the "Forbidden Seven", so it goes to show SOMEONE liked him and wanted him in Brawl. That someone was probably Sakurai.

kuro06

Smash Cadet
Ah, but you see, Super Smash Bros. is different. It only has one game per console, and, mind you, other fighting games make the roster NUMBER look rather wimpy. Super Smash Bros. needs all the characters it can get.

Also, Mewtwo has the most coding and files in the game out of the "Forbidden Seven", so it goes to show SOMEONE liked him and wanted him in Brawl. That someone was probably Sakurai.
That's my point..it doesn't matter Sakurai wanted him or not if Gamefreak doesn't want mewtwo in, then Mewtwo won't be in since Mewtwo is part of Gamefreak's property. If you really want to Mewtwo talk to Gamefreak not Nintendo.

Most Fighting games have roughly 18-40+ characters. Brawl has 35 characters or so..which is good amount but for most fans it isnt enough. Smash has most of the characters from the Nintendo world as it is..not that many Iconic characters you can really pull out since majority left are minor unimportant characters, and I don't think Sakurai wants to add too many 3rd party characters .

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hmm... Technically, wouldn't they have the rights to Mewtwo still? Could be wrong, but w/e... <_<

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
compared to Mewtwo, Lucario FTW. He's Chuck Norris

Don't really care about Roy, but it would nice if he's back on a sequel being voiced by Shia LeBeouf.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
compared to Mewtwo, Lucario FTW. He's Chuck Norris

Don't really care about Roy, but it would nice if he's back on a sequel being voiced by Shia LeBeouf.
But if Lucario is Chuck, then Mewtwo is Bruce Lee.

Okay, we need a better analogy.

HERE IT IS:

Mewtwo is Captain Kirk, and Lucario is Captain Picard.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Picard is awesome. While not as awesome as Kirk for obvious reasons, Picard along with the rest of Next Generations, where actually awesome and good the the Star Trek series. I don't care what anybody else says.

But, I have other forums to talk about Star Trek >_>

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What woopyfrood and kuro06 speak of.
Oh, apparently Sakurai has stated that The Pokemon Company/(Game Freak?) is very involved in the representation of Pokemon in Smash. What this has to do with the Mewtwo issue is currently unknown, but there's speculation that they pushed Lucario over Mewtwo.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
wasn't the reason mewtwo was so low tier because he couldn't wave dash. I dont know if that is true or not, but i cant wave dash with him for some reason.
Actually, I hear he has a very good wavedash...or was it moonwalk?...

Anyway, the reason he was so low tier was because His stats were bad and his side-B was near useless.

...We wanted him to improve in Brawl...

•Col•

Smash Champion
It's Because the new brawl physics would make Roy and Mewtwo amazing.
Sadly... I think this is true.... xD

They weren't that good in Melee because they weren't very good with combos.... Thing is, almost nobody else in Brawl has any either... xP

I wanted Mewtwo to exist alongside Lucario and replace Jiggs or something >_>

And I semi-mained Roy in Melee, so I was kinda sad when they put in Marth, but not Roy. It's "Marth and Roy", not "Marth: The Series". I like Ike, though.

Steelia

Smash Champion
And I semi-mained Roy in Melee, so I was kinda sad when they put in Marth, but not Roy. It's "Marth and Roy", not "Marth: The Series". I like Ike, though.
Seriously. Those two became like twins when they were introduced together. You rarely saw artworks of Marth without Roy, and Roy without Marth, if ever. They were an inseparable duo, the blue-haired pretty boy and the fire-using redhead.

A-HA!
I just remembered something earlier in the day in regards to Mewtwo... They say Mewtwo hasn't been as popular these days, after the 3rd Generation was introduced, yes?
Can you explain...
The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon?
Not only is it recent (rather recent, anyway)... it also features Mewtwo as the main bad Pokemon! Score! (All right, so it's a mirage of him, but still. If the bad guy in the special noted it was creating the "most powerful Mirage Pokemon ever," and it was Mewtwo he modeled it after... I think that's pretty significant. ;) )

Thus, that makes it one movie Mewtwo has starred in, and TWO specials.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
wasn't the reason mewtwo was so low tier because he couldn't wave dash. I dont know if that is true or not, but i cant wave dash with him for some reason.
Tell that too Taj, lol. I'm sure he'll be interested to know that he was wavedashing all this time and mewtwo cannot wavedash.

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
Roy shouldn't be in Brawl, but mewtwo should. He represents the pokemon game series well because he was the most powerful pokemon in the original games. He represents it better than Pikachu and Jiggly Puff do. The only reason those two made it in the first game is because of their popularity in the anime not the game. The only true representatives of the Pokemon gaming series are Mewtwo and especially Pokemon Trainer.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me I missed something good...
You missed me flaming the **** out of you, thats what you missed.

I mean, mewtwo is the best legendary pokemon(alongside Darkrai), but...Actaully, I think I like Lucario and Mewtwo the same.

I'm still pissed he's not in brawl though...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo not being in Brawl is a disturbance in the force...The kind of disturbance you get whenever a band does a bad cover of Pink Floyd...

•Col•

Smash Champion
I hate it when someone comes in here and says "Roy/Mewtwo should be in the next game, but Mewtwo/Roy shouldn't." -_-

Seriously, there is a better chance that both of them to get in the next game if everyone who supports one character, also supports the other... >_>

tl;dr
(lazy ._.)
Roy fans should get Mewtwo fans' backs, and Mewtwo fans should cover Roy fans' backs.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm still pissed he's not in brawl though...
I hear that. It's because of his absense that I've just about lost all interest in Brawl, let alone have any hope for any future Smash Bros. titles. If they don't feature a LEGENDARY Pokemon (my favorite Pokemon group), count me out.

Colaya said:
Roy fans should get Mewtwo fans' backs, and Mewtwo fans should cover Roy fans' backs.
I hear that one, too. Though I'm not specifically rooting as much for Roy... I still believe he should be brought back, for the sake of the fandom he has acquired. Mewtwo and Roy are close to equal in my book... Just that I rant about Mewtwo more often.
A LOT more often.
...Roy should also return, just for being a redhead. Because we don't want to clog the Fire Emblem slots with too many blue-haired reps, now, do we? ;P

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I hear that. It's because of his absense that I've just about lost all interest in Brawl, let alone have any hope for any future Smash Bros. titles. If they don't feature a LEGENDARY Pokemon (my favorite Pokemon group), count me out.
*snicker* It's taken you this long?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was surprised when they weren't in Brawl.

It wouldn't have been had with Roy, just pulling a Falco(changing his moveset, but keeping some similarities with his B's and some other moves) would have worked.

Mewtwo could have been a differently played Lucario. Heck even comparing them now they aren't anymore clones than Ike and Marth are.

I guess time constraints just cut back on them being put into the game.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I was surprised when they weren't in Brawl.

It wouldn't have been had with Roy, just pulling a Falco(changing his moveset, but keeping some similarities with his B's and some other moves) would have worked.

Mewtwo could have been a differently played Lucario. Heck even comparing them now they aren't anymore clones than Ike and Marth are.

I guess time constraints just cut back on them being put into the game.
Pretty much. Time constraints, and fan complaints... heh heh.
Hopefully next time we will all learn to shut the hell up. Myself included. If anyone DARES Sakurai and co. to hurry, they will be shown no mercy. I will NOT have something like Brawl ever happen again. Sakurai could delay the game an extra year, and I wouldn't care if that meant more characters and stages, and a polished game overall. Really. I wouldn't care in the least.

flyinfilipino said:
*snicker* It's taken you this long?
Sadly, yes. (I've always been a slow one. :p ) I should've backed away from this game when I had the chance. Mewtwo was my #1 hopeful VETERAN rep, and he was cut out... then there was Deoxys , who was my #1 hopeful NEW rep, and seeing him slapped away with the label, "Now, this is a popular one" will forever be etched into my memory banks. Curse you and your subliminal messages, Sakurai. :mad:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Pretty much. Time constraints, and fan complaints... heh heh.
Hopefully next time we will all learn to shut the hell up. Myself included. If anyone DARES Sakurai and co. to hurry, they will be shown no mercy. I will NOT have something like Brawl ever happen again. Sakurai could delay the game an extra year, and I wouldn't care if that meant more characters and stages, and a polished game overall. Really. I wouldn't care in the least.

Sadly, yes. (I've always been a slow one. :p ) I should've backed away from this game when I had the chance. Mewtwo was my #1 hopeful VETERAN rep, and he was cut out... then there was Deoxys , who was my #1 hopeful NEW rep, and seeing him slapped away with the label, "Now, this is a popular one" will forever be etched into my memory banks. Curse you and your subliminal messages, Sakurai. :mad:
So what have you been doing all this time?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Ya, we should get the word out. If you don't want Brawl to happen again, next time don't complain about delays. You're risking your favorite newcomers from the last game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I hate it when someone comes in here and says "Roy/Mewtwo should be in the next game, but Mewtwo/Roy shouldn't." -_-

Seriously, there is a better chance that both of them to get in the next game if everyone who supports one character, also supports the other... >_>

tl;dr
(lazy ._.)
Listen to this man. He speaks the truth.

Just spam Sakurai's inbox come the next game. I'm sure a lot of fans miss these characters and want them back, and Sakurai will listen.

Top Bottom