• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the player who inspired u?

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
PC Chris was in the first pro match I ever saw, so for me he was my first inspiration. Drill shining blew my mind lol

sidefx

Smash Champion
everyone in dbr.

i cant really say any ic players really.. cause i dont watch ic vids. ( until just recently.. cause phil and mango told me to watch chu vids)

but basically for a while the only person i played was dan, when we were first getting into melee.. it still amazes me to this day how ****ing retardedly good he is at this game.

also, watching isai play is a great thing to witness in person

but its a good thing that ive never played a friendly with anyone in dbr.

that word doesnt exist around here.. more like seriouslies =D

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Captain Jack were my inspiration to play Smash competitively.

Mikael was my inspiration to play Peach.

LittLeLives

Smash Apprentice
Ken made me realize that I sucked at Melee.

So I wanted to get as good as him. :o

That dream has long since died after I got my 4 stocked by a ten year old.

I've actually started playing Melee again recently though.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Eggz's mario was actually my first insipiration to play this game competitively

after that it was the san pablo ppl
but i rlly wanted to learn to combo like eggz

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Ken made me realize that I sucked at Melee.

So I wanted to get as good as him. :o

That dream has long since died after I got my 4 stocked by a ten year old.

I've actually started playing Melee again recently though.
It's ok I hear Connor is pretty good at Melee, you don't have to be so hard on yourself.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Ken was either an expert at playing dumb, or he just really didn't know what he was doing.

He really didn't know why he did the things that he did, because no one was around to teach him. He would just "do" and win. People would then analyze and follow.

What I mean by that is, he was never really conventional. There was no standard for him to learn from. So his reasons for doing things weren't really learned. They were just materialized somehow.
If he ever was conventional, it was because he created the convention.

He didn't know what he was doing because it came naturally...

Natural Talent. See what I mean?

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
To come up with something out of noting huh? I wish I played with Ken. Never got a chance... :(

Shroomed

Smash Master
darn those natural talent players

there's a lot more rock lees in smash than nejis

i love my horrible naruto references

P.S. i'm a rock lee of smash

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Ken was either an expert at playing dumb, or he just really didn't know what he was doing.

He really didn't know why he did the things that he did, because no one was around to teach him. He would just "do" and win. People would then analyze and follow.

What I mean by that is, he was never really conventional. There was no standard for him to learn from. So his reasons for doing things weren't really learned. They were just materialized somehow.
If he ever was conventional, it was because he created the convention.

He didn't know what he was doing because it came naturally...

Natural Talent. See what I mean?
Yeah, ok that makes sense.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Oh ****, this thread just got hella gay. I like it.

In all seriousness. When I was a shiek man, I saw Vans play at The___Cheese's tournament, and I was like: "**** that girl has some style!" Then I stopped maining shiek. Lmao.

Of course my inspiration for Peach was Mike G. Hes on crack when he plays. Its amazing.

Then theres DoH, who is also on crack when he plays.

Then there was the first time I saw XIFs combo vid. Pretty **** good.

Im in love with all the fast Peaches. They're just fun to watch. However, my main inspiration comes from Cort. Hes so analytical, and hes like on point with everything.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
lol for some reason alan, i thought you said you like cort because he likes to point at everything.
i was like wtf pointing????

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
When I first got into Melee I didn't really feel like I knew enough about the game to look at it and analyze why someone was so good. For me at least it's hard to get inspired by just seeing success; if I can't understand the how and why of it, I don't feel like I truly appreciate it to that level. I don't really think I was good enough at the game to honestly admire the play of others until perhaps early 2006. At that time I really admired the play of these guys:

Ken & Isai - I've always loved teams more than anything else, and I learned so much about how to play teams from watching them.
HugS - I don't touch Samus at all, but his sets at MLG Orlando are still among my favorite of all time. He always seems like he's in control of the match and dictates its pace.
Basically everyone in DBR but primarily Germ and King - If anyone trained me it was these guys. DBR training is no joke, Boback's words are true.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Ken & Isai - I've always loved teams more than anything else, and I learned so much about
I agree so much with that part. Teams is so fun to watch for me. And when it comes down to it, watching Azen/Chillin and Husband/Wife was like watching an episode of gundam. Just too good.

Groom Blue just combined the two most different styles in the game, and it just looked fantastic. Then you start breaking it down, and you can really learn a lot.

But, even though they're not the best team ever, The Newlyweds taught me so much about teams. So much. The combination of them and Casey is what made me love teams so much.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I blame that all on you. I go to like every tournament.

You should team wtih someone else, and let them experience how awesome a teammate you are.

But only in friendlies.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
im actually not a fan of brandon's playstyle

no offense to brandon lol

foxroar=my favorite doc
umm none taken lol :ohwell: ....., heck i dont blame u lol

for me it was prolly bob$, king, and darkrain

bob$- because he can literally just snatch the momentum at times(to me at least), and have complete control, seeing that done with doc is amazing to me lol.

king- cause of the spacing leading to massive combos and he can literally make someone good look stupid

Darkrain-he kinda got me into smash lol, cause damm!!!!, he combos for the win like a champ and doesnt give a ****

but yea i dont think i know to much about smash lol

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
In chronological order:

The random guys in my dorm that got me to start playing smash freshman year.
The fake crew that we ended up making (<3 you WSFL).
Ken (lol) and Javier (aka relentless8989), back when I used to be a Marth main.
TSA: NJ, everyone was better than me at the time, but they were also encouraging me to play and get better.
Pakman(oncrack at the time), for playing with me constantly after the WSFL guys disbanded, and then also becoming my driver. Probably one of the biggest reasons I have always encouraged "smart" play over technical play.
KDJ and PC, after I switched to being a Fox main.

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
thomas tipman with triforce of power.

zelgadis with shined blind.

and the first competative smash video i ever saw with ken and isai, on fd.

the one where isai goes out for 2 knees and somehow gets spiked. i'm pretty sure a lot of you know which match i'm talking about. up until that point i thought i was good at smash, then i saw that video and my brain exploded.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I switched to Sheik cause of McRustyJr
and he made me try to play as gay as possible

and that one guy, can't remember his name lol
but he used to **** back in the day. an asian guy who mained falcon? and his roy was better than his marth lol and he had a Link. he was a smart player and made me feel dumb by punishing my bad habits all the time

his name was nick or something but i forgot his tag

EDIT - LOL Brian ken vs isai 4, best smash video i have ever seen

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Wes - For introducing me to competitive smash. I was a Samus main at the time and I didn't know what it was until I saw the videos. I also was inspired to learn all the little techniques off of him.

HugS - For introducing me to playing so patiently and taking control of the match.

TheCape - For his Mario, I loved watching the old stuff, and it just made me appreciate up-airs like no other.

Bone - For actually inspiring me to think and play smart. It seems like common sense but everything is so reactionary until you decide to notice and understand everything that is being done and everything that needs to be done.

Top Bottom