• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the player who inspired u?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Choi and Daigo are so ****ing good at everything they touch

are the vids of choi's cvs2 performance at evo up yet?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Hugs and Inks were my biggest inspirations, then brawl came out and i was dissapointed that i could no longer look up to the person that i did so i look up to neo because hugs makes me :( sometimes

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
1)DBR. When they released the combo video (called evolution? i dont remember) w/ all their members in it, that opened up smash to me.

2)Captain Falcon mains, you know who you are.

3)The smash community lol. Best gaming community ever.

forward

Smash Champion
Good topic

I'll try and go in cronological order of the most influential, but I'll say right now that there is not one great player who I did not learn from.

DSF: Back in the day, when L canceling was hard and WDing was used sparringly, DSF helped me elevate to a faster level. I watched him land on a platform with an attack, drop through it and attack again. I'd never seen such fast consecutive attacks. I used to be in love with FD, but he changed it when he told me "platforms speed you up." A lot of people throughout the years have complemented me on my platform game, this is where the inspiration began.

RobFalco (oldschool name baby) and Caveman: Crystal City was once a major player in the development of smash metagame, and they embodied a "slow" style of play. Instead of running and jumping, attempting risky L cancels, they walked, abused high priority moves, and opted for gimps instead of 0-deaths. Although after my encounter with them at Moast3 I did not change my style of play to theirs, I took their strategies and melted them into my own. I began to mix up the pace of game, I'd go from fast laser pressure to walking, waiting, and up tilting.

Taj: I went through nearly a year, probably more, of not leaving my state. The only high level competition I had at this time was Taj. Taj is influential to me not because of his play style, which I always respected, but for the skill that he brought out in me. I lived in a city where my best competition couldn't beat my third string character.s It was easy to get cocky. However Taj was someone that I always needed to bring out all my strength against to fight. He reminded me that I was not alone at my level, and greater challenges were out there.

To be continued. . .

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Oh, if we're going to be doing it that way.

AznDanny: The first person to introduce me to competitive play (of all the games I played). Although he didn't teach me much about the competitive scene, he taught me how to get better. My first exposure and my foundation for competitive play was defined by him.

My main inspirations were (in order):

AznDanny -> Captain Jack -> Ken -> Wes (Samus) -> Isai -> Bombsoldier -> Ken (again) -> Mew2King -> PC Chris -> Mango

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
My biggest inspiration?

I'd say it has to be Krazyjones. If any of you kids ever hear of him he was the peach player that taught me alot about the character and match ups. Back in his time He was also one of the top peaches in the US, right behind Sastopher.

Then after that It's Isai. nuff said

then after him it's a tie for DAwes/Ken/Azen.

btw i'm stealing this idea for my Atlantic south room, kthanks :)

Bets

Smash Journeyman
SD King got me into Jiggs when i first started. Then it was Hai? who got me into Fox about 3 weeks later.

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and go in cronological order of the most influential, but I'll say right now that there is not one great player who I did not learn from.

DSF: Back in the day, when L canceling was hard and WDing was used sparringly, DSF helped me elevate to a faster level. I watched him land on a platform with an attack, drop through it and attack again. I'd never seen such fast consecutive attacks. I used to be in love with FD, but he changed it when he told me "platforms speed you up." A lot of people throughout the years have complemented me on my platform game, this is where the inspiration began.

RobFalco (oldschool name baby) and Caveman: Crystal City was once a major player in the development of smash metagame, and they embodied a "slow" style of play. Instead of running and jumping, attempting risky L cancels, they walked, abused high priority moves, and opted for gimps instead of 0-deaths. Although after my encounter with them at Moast3 I did not change my style of play to theirs, I took their strategies and melted them into my own. I began to mix up the pace of game, I'd go from fast laser pressure to walking, waiting, and up tilting.

Taj: I went through nearly a year, probably more, of not leaving my state. The only high level competition I had at this time was Taj. Taj is influential to me not because of his play style, which I always respected, but for the skill that he brought out in me. I lived in a city where my best competition couldn't beat my third string character.s It was easy to get cocky. However Taj was someone that I always needed to bring out all my strength against to fight. He reminded me that I was not alone at my level, and greater challenges were out there.

To be continued. . .
Hahahaha wow i've been taught all about crystal city lol it sounds like they were amazing Lol...according to caveman and other veterans at the game it was a very boring city and they would play melee all the time...they ould take 1st 2nd and 3rd at any and every tournament...and there was a guy who lived there that's name was John always made excuses no matter what and shortly after the phrase "Johns" was invented...****

shineblind was my inspiration....playing against my brother.... mango and lucky to play it competetively and made me realize how much i love this game :)

HugS™

Smash Lord
My biggest inspiration?

I'd say it has to be Krazyjones. If any of you kids ever hear of him he was the peach player that taught me alot about the character and match ups. Back in his time He was also one of the top peaches in the US, right behind Sastopher.

Then after that It's Isai. nuff said

then after him it's a tie for DAwes/Ken/Azen.

btw i'm stealing this idea for my Atlantic south room, kthanks :)
Didn't you come before Krazy Jones?

yea. Its was kind of a trip for me too Hahaha
Lol wasn't it you that asked me about that on the chatroom?

Top Bottom