• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Best Marth right now?(Mew2King excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Im not saying Nando and Strict aren't legit. I just feel that Ken would be them. Also Strict is bad vs Marth.

I do not believe Nando is as good as Isai was though.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I JV5ed Nando.

*****s fake.

He's that dude though.

For real though, they're both new to the scene and Tristate literally has like 9 spacies for every 1 sheik or marth main. Its not that surprising they're bad against them.

I think Ken might just simply be overwhelmed. If he played for a week or 2 with newer players though, I don't doubt he'd win.

Niko45

Smash Master
Nando has beaten HBK.

Stric being bad vs Marth is a bit overblown. He's beaten me and G before and had one really tight set with HBK once upon a time.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Did he really?

That... is actually a bit surprising.

And with strict I guess I can't say I know for sure, since everytime I play him I go sheik anyway.

Niko45

Smash Master
I mean he does some stuff wrong imo but he does a lot right too. Plus a crisp techy falco would just be one of the hardest things to adjust to in general I think.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I could agree with that. I think one thing Eggm told me that I really agree with is, if you don't understand how to fight falco it is the worst uphill battle you can play in the entire game.

He'll literally do things and you'll have no idea what to do about it.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
nice list, i see you included me, hate to say it but i dont share the same confidence

dark and roche, im sure they'd be glad to see they have fans, but i played them just the other day and generally gave em the run around. im sure theyre not the worst people on your list, but i point them out because you really have no idea how good they are, and i do, and yet you'd try to educate me about it. i dont know what you mean by "follow smash worldwide", but i've played probably half of those players you listed in person, could you claim anything close to that? edit: just noticed you included zeck and zant, players with nothing but a combo video and even dark says that theyre not very good but can play fast

i was exaggerating when i said 20, i'll admit that, but youre really overrating new gimmicks and tricks if you think mediocre players today would beat a top player of yesterday. ken, like hugs said, would adapt and beat people. people dont get as good as he got if the same things worked on him over and over again for a set, no matter how good it was. you cant watch an old video then say "well that wouldnt work now" because he wouldnt keep trying it after it didnt work, thats what made him and all the other top players so good

i mean just look at drephen, he still beats probably half that list when he shows up to one tournament a year without playing in between, doing the same style for years, not knowing how to cancel needles or jump cancel grabs

hugs says 75, he'd be the most educated on this matter, i would definitely estimate lower but if i believed anybody who posted in here it would be him

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
nice list, i see you included me, hate to say it but i dont share the same confidence

dark and roche, im sure they'd be glad to see they have fans, but i played them just the other day and generally gave em the run around. im sure theyre not the worst people on your list, but i point them out because you really have no idea how good they are, and i do, and yet you'd try to educate me about it. i dont know what you mean by "follow smash worldwide", but i've played probably half of those players you listed in person, could you claim anything close to that? edit: just noticed you included zeck and zant, players with nothing but a combo video and even dark says that theyre not very good but can play fast

i was exaggerating when i said 20, i'll admit that, but youre really overrating new gimmicks and tricks if you think mediocre players today would beat a top player of yesterday. ken, like hugs said, would adapt and beat people. people dont get as good as he got if the same things worked on him over and over again for a set, no matter how good it was. you cant watch an old video then say "well that wouldnt work now" because he wouldnt keep trying it after it didnt work, thats what made him and all the other top players so good

i mean just look at drephen, he still beats probably half that list when he shows up to one tournament a year without playing in between, doing the same style for years, not knowing how to cancel needles or jump cancel grabs

hugs says 75, he'd be the most educated on this matter, i would definitely estimate lower but if i believed anybody who posted in here it would be him
as I said admittedly you could argue either way. I have played less than half but more than 25% of the list so far. I did list some unprovens technically. I forgot to list alex 19 though lol. Still if you freeze 07 Ken and put him in a best of 3 set with anyone who is decent there is a good chance he'd lose. Hugs says 75 and well I think at least 75-100 are a given. Then there are just people who may/may not beat him but will have much closer sets with him then they should with a top smash player(which he was in his prime for so long). Given a few months I think he could rise to do well but so many test for him to take. Peach players for example that know how to fight Marths. Not sure. Spacies speed and pressure. People getting off with Low Tiers. I think HDL could take Ken out in pools of a big event personally. No way of ever knowing so it's not important really.

ANNNNNNYWAY

to get back on topic I am challenging everyone to rank Marth Mains on a 1-20 scale.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Im just gonna throw this out there and get yelled at by everyone.

1.(M2K)
1.TAJ
2.Ice
3.JesiahTEG
I feel like around here there is a skill gap....
4.G$?
5.TAI
6.Dart/Niko
7.Falcomist
8.I.B.
9.HBK
10.PewPewU
I know IB doesn't play that much. And I have personally never seen HBK play. So im sure im not doing him justice.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Jesiah had a really intense close set with Kage at Zenith. Kage won both matches but both matches were sooooooo close. He is really good. His dash dancing is like....from another world....It's just so different. It sucks he never gets recorded. He only has videos from like 1-3 years go =/
He also doesn't play that much I hear.

EDIT: Was trying to find a recent match of Hack playing....but...I came across THIS INSTEAD. HOOOOLY poop those textures are awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yi24o4TMZw

Beat!

Smash Master
Check out the Beast 2 videos. He's got some good sets vs leffen, Armada and Faab (he also beat Ice in Marth dittos and sent him to loser's, but unfortunately that wasn't recorded).

Strife

Banned via Warnings

1.(M2K)
1.TAJ
2.Ice
3.JesiahTEG
4.G$?
5.TAI
6.Dart/Niko
7.Falcomist
8.I.B.
9.HBK
10.PewPewU
I know IB doesn't play that much. And I have personally never seen HBK play. So im sure im not doing him justice.
Niko is probably 3rd right Ice, and PewPew is probably 4th. I can't imagine what Gmoney has ever done to convince you that he is that great of a player.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Niko beat jesiah... I think(at the very least he outplaced him in a small upstate ny tournament). Also, since when is kage a benchmark person to do well against?

Max?

Smash Champion

1.(M2K)
1.TAJ
2.Ice
3.JesiahTEG
4.G$?
5.TAI
6.Dart/Niko
7.Falcomist
8.I.B.
9.HBK
10.PewPewU
Ok, G$'s Marth is a joke, the fact that you put him above Niko and HBK is hilarious. 3 stock that ***** in tournament all day. And Jesiah is not better than NIko, as Bolt mentioned Niko beat him twice in tournament at an upstate tournament a year ago and has only gotten exponentially better in that time period. He's done more and beaten way more impressive people than

Jesiah had a really intense close set with Kage at Zenith. Kage won both matches but both matches were sooooooo close. He is really good. His dash dancing is like....from another world....It's just so different. It sucks he never gets recorded. He only has videos from like 1-3 years go =/
He also doesn't play that much I hear.

EDIT: Was trying to find a recent match of Hack playing....but...I came across THIS INSTEAD. HOOOOLY poop those textures are awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yi24o4TMZw
Niko also had a nailbiter last stock last hit MM set vs. Kage at Zenith.... so yeah idk food for thought.

I'll admit I'm biased as **** since I play with him all the time and watch him body Tristate, but I dont think any of the other Marths around right now come close to Niko's record and I think it's safe to say he's the next best Marth atm after M2k (at least in America).

Max?

Smash Champion
Taj is an outlier, he ***** at Genesis 2 and then disappeared. I'll give Taj the nod for now, but unless he keeps coming out and ******, I gotta give it to Niko. Nick is constantly playing, putting in work and travelling, and those are the things you have to do if you want to be acknowledged. One tournament cannot hold as much weight as frequent and consistent results.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
also, i know he had a cool combo video, but what has TAI really done?

i played him once, it was a really long time ago, but it didnt make me think of him as making any lists like this

REDfox1

Smash Journeyman
Niko is sex. & How is hbk 9th?

Metal reeper do I need to knock some sense into you again like the last time we played ;)

-nando

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
dart is at least comparable to niko. he beat darkatma again this last weekend.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion

1.(M2K)
1.TAJ
2.Ice
3.JesiahTEG
4.G$?
5.TAI
6.Dart/Niko
7.Falcomist
8.I.B.
9.HBK
10.PewPewU
not gonna lie this is a terrible, terrible ranking list. so yeah you get yelled at :)

like how could you possibly consider jesiah the 3rd best marth in the world? what has he ever placed at in his life? you must have some crazy *** bias, especially with the 'skill gap'

literally every single person below jesiah has proven themselves worlds better than jesiah.

then ranking someone you've never even seen play...lol.

iget the feeling you are a 'youtube smasher' and get all your basis from how many youtube videos the player has, or base alot on how well they do at one tournament. for example taj.

i played him once, it was a really long time ago, but it didnt make me think of him as making any lists like this
i consider him top 7 or so marths in the world right now, which idk is a hard basis given how few marths there are out there. But he is a reallllly good player in my opinion. I would consider him to generally make it to 3rd round pools of a national or better.

quite intuitive with marth imo!

but on the real..

1. m2k
**massive skill gap**
2. all the other marths

i'd love to hear from a professional perspective who they think the top..8 or so are. it seems incredibly hard to tell given how little we see any of these people in bracket at a national.

DJMirror

Smash Master
God this is the reason why I stop going to the Marth Board I saw someone link this on FB and I had to check it out
This is going to be based on results but whatever

1) M2K (I'm still counting him in)
2) PeePee
3) Taj
4-6) Niko/Tai/Dart (it's hard to say who's better than who because they're so good but if I were to judge by results then...Niko, Dart then Tai but we all know results are not everything)

Below here is OG doesn't play anymore or just show up to tournaments so it's hard to rank them

7-9) HBK (Retired I guess)/I.B. (I heard that he's getting his life back on track)/Falcomist (But this guy doesn't even play melee anymore)/Diakonos (Why does everyone keeps forgetting about him? I might lacking in the canada marth department so I'm sorry about it) PewPew (He's over smash)

10) Hyprid (Upcoming marth player)

Don't bother to respond because I'm not going to check this thread anytime soon

Niko45

Smash Master
but on the real..

1. m2k
**massive skill gap**
2. all the other marths
That's the real talk. I'm not too concerned with lists like this or where I rank on them I appreciate the love (especially from my ***** max, always has my back) but I'm not really focused on being better than other marth mains I'm looking at the entire field and I have a lot more to accomplish still and I'm glad that the hard work I've been putting in is starting to payoff and hopefully will continue to.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

pound 4 was 2 years ago

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That's the real talk. I'm not too concerned with lists like this or where I rank on them I appreciate the love (especially from my ***** max, always has my back) but I'm not really focused on being better than other marth mains I'm looking at the entire field and I have a lot more to accomplish still and I'm glad that the hard work I've been putting in is starting to payoff and hopefully will continue to.
You got the mentality of a champ bro.

You're rapidly improving, I'm sure you'll start noticing it a bit more in the near future.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i know tai, thats why i asked what youve done since then

ive been trying to follow results and everything and havent seen anything particularly impressive besides your sick combo video

Aber

Smash Journeyman
If only ice would come to apex.....That'd be cool. It'd answer a lot of questions.

Bing

Smash Master
hmm

1.Taj
2.Ice
3.Niko
4.Dart
5.Tai
6.PewPewU
7.I.B <--Still really legit, came to a monthly awhile ago.
8.G$
9.Diakanos
10.Bob$ <--lol

I dunno, after 7 I got kinda fuzzy. I dont really know if G$ should be up there...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
niko your marth has been quite impressive from what i've seen lately. i really hope you keep moving up, i feel like there hasn't been enough marths with enough drive/intuition for awhile, and maybe the ones that have that drive are finally moving on up & are being seen.

If only ice would come to apex.....That'd be cool. It'd answer a lot of questions.
i feel the same, he seems REALLY talented and amazing at the game, but i personally need to see him play non europeans, from what i hear the high level players in EU play eachother pretty often. maybe i've mis-understood that, but either way i wanna see him outside of his comfort zone.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I dont like to comment on ice because he hasnt played americans, but with a side note saying he is probably top 5 overall, i say my active top 4 are:

Taj
Niko
Dart
Tai

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I dont like to comment on ice because he hasnt played americans, but with a side note saying he is probably top 5 overall, i say my active top 4 are:

Taj
Niko
Dart
Tai

it's not like americans in general are a skill level higher. and if you mean our top level americans, well taj is probably the only one that's played them in real tournament and actually made them try..so i wouldn't call that fair. i know you still think he's top 5 but jus' sayin, we got americans listed who havent played the REAL americans.

personally i think it's m2k >>>> ice/taj >>> dart/niko/maybe one or two others
the others people have been listing.

i honestly could only see ice/taj competing against the top level players as of right now.

-Ice-

Smash Apprentice

Taj
Niko
Dart
Tai

yeah i admit its realy hard to make a good list including me cause i never played us pros even though im preparing for that since one and half year :p i need to play you guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom