• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who in NC still cares about Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
I also agree with david. Especially since we have the same name. ; )
Zomg bro, come to NC so we can Roy ditto all day.

Also, also! Nick, our crew is in a weird place. It is at the mercy of ONE of us whose house we play at. If he doesn't want to play a game, we don't play it. Apparently Melee is some gay ****, and we're never playing it again. how do you think that makes me and Tone feel? we both still want to get better at Melee, and we don't really have the means to travel and have jobs that are tough to get weekends off for. I play Melee by myself, and that doesn't help ANYONE. you know what I've learned playing by myself? How to consistently shffl uairs with Roy. Hooray. :/

I like Brawl. I was strictly Melee for the first year Brawl was out. I don't enjoy that it doesn't have need for MAD TEK SKILLZ like its predecessor, and it was weird and floaty and I couldn't find a character that I liked. Now that I have two characters that I really like, and there's been some time for "AT"s to emerge, it's more fun for me. I can see myself improving in Brawl, and I think that playing Brawl has made me a better Melee player because now I'm thinking about what I do in Melee instead of being all "LOL LOOK AT MY WAVEDASHIN HURR DURR".

That said, my preference is for Melee, but there's no Concord scene. There's a Charlotte scene (sort of...), but how the hell am I supposed to get there with no car?

We play against the same four people- the other four players in the Roytards- and we're stuck. Not going anywhere.

Uh, wow. I need a car. I'd be in Greensboro like every two days lol

._. Um, anyway, the Melee scene used to be a little shaky for me, and even now, I see it sometimes. It's rarely, but sometimes we aren't as chill as a community, at least how far we've come the past three years. Melee players antagonize Brawl players for being "noobs" and "sucking at NEEDED techniques", and Brawl players antagonize Melee players for "living in the past" and "playing an old game" and being "too serious".

We are all NC kids, cool bros, and a wonderful community that I couldn't ask any more of. We are family. Sometimes families fight, but at the end of the day, can't we just get together and play a series we love?

Bro love, NC. I <3 all you guys.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
RTF bring the Roytards to Gboro and come play melee.
Would if I could. I would LOVE to. I have no car, Nick's car is ****ty, Zo HATES Melee and he's "never playing it again" from what I heard, Tone and I need to get a weekend off of work together (not to mention his car isn't stellar), and YKB3 would have to take leave.

It's just a lot of **** that prevents us from it most of the time. You guys wait til I get a car (and learn how to drive it >_>). I will LIVE in Greensboro.

go to hickory tomorrow
and play both
^ That rant above. ^ :/

vZakat

Half Genie
RTF, I know your pains of having no one to smash with and I feel very similar to you with the whole brawl vs melee situation. I actually stop coming around SWF a little while after brawl came out. It was just a bad atmosphere that I didn't like at all.

And I've been in NC since may. Mindgames, son. lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You don't have to tell me. he's amazing. But not all of us can be PP, haha! Plus playing alone is boooooring. My crew doesn't play Melee anymore (except me and TONE, but we never get to play, our work schedules coincide). :p
Despite me feeling terrible right now, I'm going to try to be uplifting here.

My circumstances weren't great. I had an 11-year-old brother to play with for hours at a time and no one within an hour radius of me(charlotte and Hickory were at least an hour and 10 minutes). Most tournaments, if not all, were 3.5 hours away.

Do you know why I got better? It wasn't because I have an exceptionally skilled brother(though I give him props for learning so young) or that I myself am a smash genius(I'm NOT). It's because I wanted to be good strongly. Strongly isn't a good enough word so find whatever words you can think of to describe how much I wanted to be good at Melee.

I would think about the game a lot. I would watch good players and situations they were forced into. I would think to myself "so if Fox is up-B'ing HERE, then I can do....." and such. I would then test my theories on Twitch(he played most of the top tiers so this was good). Tournaments(the few I went to before Brawl came out) were good ways of testing my theories on opponents who didn't see my strategy every day. They also showed me new ways to do things(sometimes accidentally). Then I would go back to Twitch after the tournament and we would continue to evolve our game.

Thinking by yourself, playing with at least one other person regularly, and playing in tournaments about once every month and a half. That's all it takes. I understand that you don't have a car or that your friend is weird about Melee, RTF. I get that.

I get that.

Just know that it is entirely possible to "be pp" and do well once resources are a little more available.

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
Despite me feeling terrible right now, I'm going to try to be uplifting here.

My circumstances weren't great. I had an 11-year-old brother to play with for hours at a time and no one within an hour radius of me(charlotte and Hickory were at least an hour and 10 minutes). Most tournaments, if not all, were 3.5 hours away.

Do you know why I got better? It wasn't because I have an exceptionally skilled brother(though I give him props for learning so young) or that I myself am a smash genius(I'm NOT). It's because I wanted to be good strongly. Strongly isn't a good enough word so find whatever words you can think of to describe how much I wanted to be good at Melee.

I would think about the game a lot. I would watch good players and situations they were forced into. I would think to myself "so if Fox is up-B'ing HERE, then I can do....." and such. I would then test my theories on Twitch(he played most of the top tiers so this was good). Tournaments(the few I went to before Brawl came out) were good ways of testing my theories on opponents who didn't see my strategy every day. They also showed me new ways to do things(sometimes accidentally). Then I would go back to Twitch after the tournament and we would continue to evolve our game.

Thinking by yourself, playing with at least one other person regularly, and playing in tournaments about once every month and a half. That's all it takes. I understand that you don't have a car or that your friend is weird about Melee, RTF. I get that.

I get that.

Just know that it is entirely possible to "be pp" and do well once resources are a little more available.
*stands and applauds*

BTW: watching melee vids is all i've been watching on youtube for the past week. Mainly ROM 2 and TO5 vids. Im watching Armada vs M2K RIGHT now(from Genesis).

dr.neo

Smash Champion
Ok so I just gotta say I love brawl. Its got the hype, it takes the skill, and by golly I'm dang good at it. Just ask PP or Behr or anyone who was at Behr's first tournament. I was trying to sell my brawl game for like 100 dollars because I love the game so much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That has nothing to do with this topic. Everyone has been feeling bad lately so I guess I'm just joining in.

Also, needs more Brawl talk.

Edit: haha Dr neo. What a beast.

@ Tone: That's a great set.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
Ah, PP. You always know the right things to say! I used to watch videos religiously, and now I don't have a computer to use so often. Mine doesn't do that fancy internet thing, haha. But seriously, you're right. I guess I'm just making excuses. I'll continue to play alone and see where that gets me until I can play against someone else. Can't hurt, right? C:

Also, I hope you don't have "the RTF" again. :/ Feel better, bro.

BEHR

Smash Hero
OH MY GOD.

NEO - "LOOK HOW BORING THIS GAME IS." Tloz was sleeping that was te funniest **** ive ever heard.

RTF- It will be awesome if you lived here.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP we gotta talk. *angry face* (but the kind of angry face that shows love despite the fact that person wants to fight the other person)
Lol wtf? XD Sounds good.

@ RTF: Yeah you can do it! No worries.
Also, I'm not sick. Well, I don't think so anyways.

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
Ah, PP. You always know the right things to say! I used to watch videos religiously, and now I don't have a computer to use so often. Mine doesn't do that fancy internet thing, haha. But seriously, you're right. I guess I'm just making excuses. I'll continue to play alone and see where that gets me until I can play against someone else. Can't hurt, right? C:

Also, I hope you don't have "the RTF" again. :/ Feel better, bro.
""The RTF"" LOL

Katie, we're taking melee to zo's house when he gets back in town next week. You still have your copy right? i can't find mines.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
are you charlotte guys goin the the sc tourney next weekend?

and ricky loves brawl too much (if there is such a thing)
me and him teamed for some epic brawl glory (if there is such a thing)
and beat some noobs (mainly SENGIN and COOL) in boone this last weekend

kyros

Smash Rookie
are you charlotte guys goin the the sc tourney next weekend?

and ricky loves brawl too much (if there is such a thing)
me and him teamed for some epic brawl glory (if there is such a thing)
and beat some noobs (mainly SENGIN and COOL) in boone this last weekend
I bet thats b/c SENGIN needs to L2ButtHearts harder with his peach.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
""The RTF"" LOL

Katie, we're taking melee to zo's house when he gets back in town next week. You still have your copy right? i can't find mines.
Hell yeah, I do! I've been switching off nights- one night for Melee, one night for JoJo's.

Don't forget, "The RTF" is also a computer/facebook virus. I do work, son.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
So ask yourself, what do I want? To beat Shady? **** that, you need to beat way better people than that, Shady is just a stepping stone on your way to the top (Heh, shady).
Yeah, screw Shady.

@Jon: State is still my top choice. I already applied there and a few other places a while ago.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Best way to beat Shady: be more like Jon and Karn.

@Shady: Good shiz, we're all trying to get a dorm suite with all smash players in the larger dorm. You want in? You'll get a nice dorm since we'll be Juniors and everyroom will have a Wii and TV. You'll have the best practice against: MK (Foxy/Flamy) , Snake (Jon) , Wario (Ledgr), Falco (Jon), Diddy(Fritz), DDD (Paii), and Olimar (SOS). What more could you ask for?!?!?

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
so stingerz, all-in-all NC still cares about brawl, just a few select good brawlers are leaning towards melee more as of right now. once the pp leaving hype goes away, they will inch back closer.

edit: wait, i said the last sentence in a previous post, so nvm that

Jon?

Smash Champion
@Ledgr: I put myself in as Falco and Snake, cuz I'm the only one among us that play Falco or Snake. I was talking to Paii about it and he told me you guys wanted to get a room at Bragaw.

@Stigners: hurry up, already

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
Best way to beat Shady: be more like Jon and Karn.

@Shady: Good shiz, we're all trying to get a dorm suite with all smash players in the larger dorm. You want in? You'll get a nice dorm since we'll be Juniors and everyroom will have a Wii and TV. You'll have the best practice against: MK (Foxy/Flamy) , Snake (Jon) , Wario (Ledgr), Falco (Jon), Diddy(Fritz), DDD (Paii), and Olimar (SOS). What more could you ask for?!?!?
I'll probably want in on that dorm, but I'm ignoring that comment about your Snake (get at me).

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
An interesting thread, and good points brought up.

IMO:

Yeah, the state as a general is kind of killing it. I had the conversation with some people I am going to Pound4 with, that its impossible to get prepared for it while living in NC- for several reasons:

1) MK is banned at Billfests. Don't get me wrong, I hate MK, and am pro-ban... but not on a "pick and choose level". If the Back Room says he isn't banned, then don't ban him... you do nothing but hinder your state/regions players who DO want to travel, who DO want to get better. Nothing at ALL against Bill personally, (so please don't twist it that way). I don't see the tourneys as "legit", in the sense that I will really improve by going to them due to this fact. As stingers said, that sort of contributes to the lethargy, at least *for me*. Like Stingers said earlier, this isn't necc the thread for that- but speaking personally, its a reason that my interest has plummeted- not for Brawl, but for the NC Brawl scene.

2) Its impossible to get a good amount of highish level players together in one tournament, which speaks to the whole "improvement" thing. Facing one or two tough opponents in bracket is all well and good for improvement, but you forego the ability to get friendlies out the ARSE with people better than you. Again, making it hard to improve.

3) The above leads to people sort of saying: "Well, if the people who are really good don't come, why should I? Yeah, the placings are up for grabs, but its empty. It doesn't mean anything." I'd rather lose first round to a legit player, win a few rounds in loser's, and lose to another legit player and get a very pedestrian placement than essentially 'cruise' to a good placing.

4) I've no idea how the panel decides PRs, and I really want to kind of... stay clear of that for the most part as it isn't my forte... but *IF* (if, meaning I don't know and so therefore I don't mean this in any negative way) its just decided purely by people getting together and talking then that's "eh". A rational, well explained point system needs to be in place with personal "votes" or whatever still having an impact, but to a lesser degree. I mention this NOT as an insult or complaint, but merely as a "hey, look at it from another angle". It gives people a concrete idea as to what they need to do, where they need to place, etc etc as to get ranked as opposed to "I hope someone notices that I've been beating a few of these good guys on more than one occasion"- which in turn may incite some people to come out more, to want to improve more, etc. Again, if that's the way its handled currently... then totally disregard this. :)

There are a few other things, but they are insignificant by themselves and are only worth mentioning when you "add them all up", and so in the interest of brevity I'll abstain from doing so.

I've gone through my "waxing and waning" with brawl in general, but I attribute that to personal growth as a player. Now, the "waxing and waning" with the "state's scene" is totally independent of that, and is a sign that something should be done (if you transpose that to a larger, "if more people feel this way" type of deal.).

I've met some cool kids from NC, that I genuinely like. Which, is a good thing... it means that (for me) I won't NOT go to tourneys because "people are a**hats, which some scenes may have a problem with. I think the "base interest" is there, it just needs to be "nurtured" for lack of a better term.

Again, just my 5cents (as this was a little longer than 2 cents)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
that was a good read dull. I can give you all the MK practice you could ever want lol, just give me a call.

I'm pretty sure thats how the prs are done (the latter way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom