• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who in NC still cares about Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

null55

Smash Master
this is a serious question to Brawlers: why do you prefer this game? i'm honestly interested. i'm not trying to start anything, i just want an straight answer.

i mean melee is just... ridiculous. it's serious ****ing business rolled up into a ball of intense close-mouthedness and dipped into a spicy you've-never-laughed-so-hard-in-your-life sauce.

i do love Brawl. just like i love 64. but as a competitive game... i really just don't see the appeal. or i do, but not while Melee is in existence.

and this is another honest question to you Stingers, would you like Melee more if you were way better at it?

theAPExp

Smash Ace
hey
i tried
kinda
i can't help it my mk is only good versus other mk's

edit: i play both
i like melee more
but brawl is still somewhat new with all the stuff i'm still learning
so it's interesting

stingers

Smash Obsessed
cj, anyone would like anything more if they were good at it. just like you'd like brawl more if you were the best in the state. mew2king made a post saying his 2nd favorite game was brawl...the first should be obvious.

"ape why do you play this game"
"i dont know...its fun...i guess"
":urg:"

Jon?

Smash Champion
Brawl is all about out thinking your opponent. That's why I like it at least.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Since I live basically in NC, I guess I can post my opinion on NC things now. Well, I DO prefer Brawl. I'll tell you why: combos. Not what you are thinking either. Large combos bore me, incredibly. Its exciting at first, but eventually, you just know what is going to happen in a given situation, even with DI, I still prefer a comboless system, or at least one that barely favors combos. Guilty Gear is the only exception because of its intense depth and A.B.A. <3 This is also why I do not like Tekken (where combos are super boring with their juggling), Tats vs Cap, among others, and why I have really grown to like SF and Brawl over other fighters. It simply feels more exciting.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Brawl is all about out thinking your opponent. That's why I like it at least.
This is mentality I never understood. Melee is also about out-thinking one's opponent, but it requires faster decisions because of the tech skill requirement and the overall speed of the game.

Edit: crashic what do you mean you live in NC?

null55

Smash Master
cj, anyone would like anything more if they were good at it. just like you'd like brawl more if you were the best in the state. mew2king made a post saying his 2nd favorite game was brawl...the first should be obvious.

"ape why do you play this game"
"i dont know...its fun...i guess"
":urg:"
lol and M2K is better at Brawl.

you're wrong about me though. not that this is evidence of why you're wrong, but it sort of kind of is, i originally was trying to learn Brawl competitively before i got into Melee, but I quit cause i just realized Melee was far more oriented to my interests: fast-paced funness.

LOL @ Mike pulling a Fox News.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
"Ask yourself a serious question: which is more interesting, satisfying, and difficult, landing a string of attacks where the opponent has no opportunity to respond or landing a string of attacks where the opponent was responding every step of the way?"
-AlphaZealot

Jon?

Smash Champion
oh boy
a ddd
Oh boy
a ddd!

@PeePee: Melee is a combo oriented game. In certain situations, you follow up a move with another attack knowing it will hit if your opponent DIs in a certain direction. In Brawl, the most you'll get out of a combo is no more than 2 or 3 hits. It's basically hit your opponent once and guess what he'll do next given the many options and reduced hit stun.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You're bitter now, Stongers.

@Jon: going into what Stongers said, so I guess I'll exit the discussion now. Also, I'm getting a call.

Edit: ...............

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And yes, I read your post. All I can say is, well, you're odd.
Wombo combo is nothing more than a bunch of grab releases and the only interesting thing in the entire video is the commentators. I find nothing special, entertaining, or skilful about that video EXCEPT for the teamwork to take out the teamate before the opponent could steal a stock from his teammate. That took teamwork.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Bitter about what? You're going into really base trolling pp, you should do something more intelligent

stingers

Smash Obsessed
our charizard ditto

hmm

i remember learning his tail was more powerful then the rest of his body in his aerial attacks

surely this will help me in my upcoming matches with bill and ragnar0k

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
NC brawlers, I'll tell you what I can do. If I can get SOME kind of big name in a tournament here in Petersburg, I may be able to offer tournaments that bring all of SoVa, MD/VA, and NC together for a big Melee/Brawl tournament. BUT, I need the commitment to hype it up. There is a tech lounge here, and they don't get a lot of business, so me hosting this will be a saving grace for them. That would give you guys some reason to look forward to Brawl.

If I do it, I'll announce it post Pound.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
rohan and i just played melee for a couple of hours...

he is getting better...

his marth is legit, but i need more spacie practice

we cf dittoed for a couple of matches...

then i went marth against his falcon...

then he went marth against my fox/samus/lots of peach...

then he quit before i got to play shiek :(

<3 melee

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Wombo combo is nothing more than a bunch of grab releases and the only interesting thing in the entire video is the commentators. I find nothing special, entertaining, or skilful about that video EXCEPT for the teamwork to take out the teamate before the opponent could steal a stock from his teammate. That took teamwork.
Okay...?

I was lol'ing at how you used COMBOES as your reasoning as to why you like Brawl. Did I say anything about what I think of it?...

theAPExp

Smash Ace
our charizard ditto
hmm
i remember learning his tail was more powerful then the rest of his body in his aerial attacks
surely this will help me in my upcoming matches with bill and ragnar0k
yeah i think it will
i read that lil info somewhere
not even sure if it's true
but i'm surprised i 2 stocked you
guess i'm better at charizard dittos than i thought

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
no more big melee/brawl tournaments
too many of them planned

augh
Do they have MD/VA and SoVa coming out? (I live literally half way in between SoVa, MD/VA, and the middle of NC) I think in general it would be a pretty kick *** thing. I mean, if all went well, ChuDat would be there.

I was lol'ing at how you used COMBOES as your reasoning as to why you like Brawl. Did I say anything about what I think of it?...
As in my opinion on combos is why I prefer Brawl. The amount of combos in Melee is just too much for me.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
remember when you beat me in that rob ditto
and when you 2 stocked me in that mk ditto, with 9% no less

and I'm supposed to be good?

null55

Smash Master
"Ask yourself a serious question: which is more interesting, satisfying, and difficult, landing a string of attacks where the opponent has no opportunity to respond or landing a string of attacks where the opponent was responding every step of the way?"
-AlphaZealot
is he talking about Melee vs. Brawl, or gangbangs vs. opening a bank account?

because if he's talking about the former then he is extremely ignorant, or this post is complete propaganda.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i better be worried about potential counterpicks
good thing I picked up Pit, he will fare me well

cj i'm sure you're another one of the people who thinks that DI is responding
to which I say: lol

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I see so much whine in this thread? When did this happen, I thought it was fairly established early on that Stingers' assertion was more or less not correct and it's just a "phase" that a certain number of players are switching over the Melee.

@Dull's comment: Maybe it's just me, but because we host a MK legal tourney every two weeks and almost EVERYONE plays MK, I never really lack of MK practice. Or practice in general.

this is a serious question to Brawlers: why do you prefer this game? i'm honestly interested. i'm not trying to start anything, i just want an straight answer.

i mean melee is just... ridiculous. it's serious ****ing business rolled up into a ball of intense close-mouthedness and dipped into a spicy you've-never-laughed-so-hard-in-your-life sauce.

i do love Brawl. just like i love 64. but as a competitive game... i really just don't see the appeal. or i do, but not while Melee is in existence.

and this is another honest question to you Stingers, would you like Melee more if you were way better at it?
We've seriously answered this question maybe about every page on this thread... but I digress, it's an often asked question. Er... I guess I shouldn't be the one answering it, since I do not prefer Brawl, and rather accept that it's it's a pretty gay game, but it's a fun gay game.

Brawl requires no actual investment to play. You don't REALLY forget how to play, even after a month, play a few friendlies and you should be close to where you were, mostly because Brawl has a lot of actual data collection that's necessary to progress (omg so many matchups).

That being said, even when you do play every day, the game requires a different style of thought than Melee, because it's dumb to say that one game requires somehow more thinking. Unless you're playing IC's or like, a chaingrabby character, there IS no combo thought, and instead, all of the thought is just for landing a hit, and traps are that much harder because it's so much freaking harder to hit someone.

Oh wait, I don't actually believe this game is good, since characters LIKE Pikachu, Falco, and DDD exist who have 2 button input "combos" that last anywhere from 30 to 100 to an infinite percent. Characters like MK exist that can literally reduce a character's options to zero to an extent that NO one else in the game can, and Snake who can deal a lethal percent of damage while just camping you.

*Shrugs*, it's a fun pasttime while waiting for someone to switch the game to something that I can actually practice and not feel like I'm losing my mind. I play MK now so at least I can't be gay'd, and people know the matchup and there are enough 45:55's that he really isn't nearly as broken as he used to be.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
or this post is complete propaganda.
az was talking about why melee people bash brawl
that was a line in his lil essay thing (aib blog i think???)
and yes
that line is used over and over by brawl players as a form of "propaganda" to validate their opinions with that of a respected player

@stingers
did pit fare you well?
you played him early on
but all i remember
is that you beat my pikachu

null55

Smash Master
cj i'm sure you're another one of the people who thinks that DI is responding
to which I say: lol
of course it is... i wanna know why it's not.

there's few situations in Melee where the opponent can't do anything to escape being comboed. DI is a part of what makes Melee so beautiful. and amazing defense against amazing offense is ****ing art in this game.

i guess the question is: do you want a game where momentum matters more, or one where you both are virtually constantly in neutral positions.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
because if he's talking about the former then he is extremely ignorant, or this post is complete propaganda.
well, there are SOME issues that can be DEBATED about that post, but the main thing is that you are looking at the wrong kind of skill. There is the personal skill which can be defined as execution of techniques and combos. This is harder when combos are present, of course, however the player versus player skill, the depth, yomi, apptirtion, etc. this is what he was referring to. Now, from here it breaks into a theory debate, but that's rather complicated and I think only a select few on this board could really accurately argue one way or the other, veterns like GAPeach, Xif, Doggy, and people who have put some time to study design like p00t and (at times) Laijin, and it would just turn into a big hate fest, which is not what we would want, and would just get this thread locked.

But simply put, what he said is actually very debatable, though in that one instant that he is describing, there you will find more depth and yomi, but outside of that, that's where the debate can begin, in how it effects the overall match, but all of that will simply come down to theory.

i guess the question is: do you want a game where momentum matters more, or one where you both are virtually constantly in neutral positions.
That's not true and I'd explain but I'm tired as ****.
And as far as I'm concerned, if you can DI out, ITS NOT A COMBO. If a DIable combo with 100 percent chance of escape is a combo, then Brawl Kirby has **** loads of combos.

EDIT- well, a breif description before I move to the bed to vomit in there. Basically, Melee has a larger slipperly slope than Brawl, and that's not a good thing.

null55

Smash Master
That's not true and I'd explain but I'm tired as ****.
And as far as I'm concerned, if you can DI out, ITS NOT A COMBO. If a DIable combo with 100 percent chance of escape is a combo, then Brawl Kirby has **** loads of combos.
nah yo. not just to not be comboed, but i'm talking especially about DIing to force your opponent to guess.

maybe that's what it comes down to, assuming that quote is really why you prefer this game Stingers... and if so, then yeah, that's cool i guess. i have a much different perspective on what's satisfying, obviously.

and WOWWWW @ you're view on the Wombo Combo Crashic. i really don't know what to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom