• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who in NC still cares about Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
sounds like a typical noob in any game. basically, people cop to of melee because they think it'll be too much work. well, if you don't want to put in the work, don't expect the results. so play brawl. it's okay that it's not as competitive but as long as you have fun, w/e
I've put forth plenty of work in Melee. I'm trying to put forth the same amount of work into Brawl. I don't like Melee anymore because, honestly, Melee players are WAY TOO ****ING SERIOUS ABOUT IT. It's a ****ing game. I mean, sure, money's on the line, but it's not a Super Bowl, it's not the World Series of Poker. It's a tournament for maybe a couple of hundred bucks. And once Brawl came out, and the Melee players refused to believe that the sequel of a FIGHTING GAME SERIES was "competitive" enough, they turned their serious hatred onto Brawl and its players. I think Dark Hart's already proven that in this thread.

BTW, if NC turns into some kind of "Melee-Only" state, you can count me out. I got sick of that **** the first time around, I'll just try to go pro in JoJo's or some silly **** like DJ Hero.

nick, that's awesome....i wish more people were motivated like you. that sucks you lost your local crew.
I was stoked that I'd get to be in the tourney scene at the start. Hell, I even had a global scale goal (which got crushed to hell at Sept billfest when Mekos ***** nearly everyone). As for the crew, I dunno. =/

DJRome

Smash Hero
i don't see how taking a game seriously is bad. it's not as if we don't have fun. we don't bash people for being bad. we help each other. i expect the same for most competitive communities.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Taking a game seriously isn't bad. Taking it TOO seriously, so much so that it destroys friendships, causes mad drama, and creates rifts between people in the community IS bad. And honestly, the only time I've seen that since Brawl came out was whether MK should've been banned at billfest.

BTW, Bill, you still have my green DS?

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Well there are a LOT of people in this community that do bash Brawl. I don't bash it, I just would rather play Melee or B+... the game is still ridonk fun.

Kudos, Nick. Hope you can make it for our biweekly series next semester, you're mad chill.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Ledger! =D Yeah, I hate the bashing, but if enough people stop playing, I really WILL be the best Lucas player in the world. XD

And don't get me wrong, Rome, I got no hate or beef with you. I just remember my days with Melee being far worse than my days with Brawl. I have this feeling if the Roytards decide to pick up Smash again, they'd all pick up Melee. RTF likes it more, and Tone's been playing it from what I hear, too.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh, why not? Brawl bashing isn't tolerated by Stongers, so I might as well stop Melee bashing.

I have literally NO IDEA what you're talking about Nick. The Melee scene is definitely chill(admittedly, the Brawl scene in NC is also very chill....kudos to you guys). There haven't been major disputes within the Melee scene here since Brawl has come out(before then though....). Like.....are you even basing it off of anything recent? The new scene is literally the opposite of the old scene. In this regard, the Melee scene is also less-driven to improve imo, but we are by no means ultra-competitive.

Now then, we go to the site, show up for tournaments, and give up our time and money to play this game. We should definitely TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. No one has lost friends over this wtf, but we all know that trying your hardest to beat your opponent and challenging them is how the natural order of competition should be. How else would we play competitive fighting games otherwise? No one would go to anything if they didn't care. The competitive drive encourages people to go out and compete for whatever reason they want: be it money or pride or recognition.

If you see all Melee players as elitists, then you go ahead and enjoy that vision. I'll assure you that it's a wrong one though.

Melee vs Brawl is a preference-based argument. Melee players view Brawl as less competitive or not as fun, and Brawl players don't like the tech skill requirement in Melee and find the game fun to them in their own way.

Before you get into hyper-competition though, you should really look at skilled melee and brawl states outside of NC. Then maybe your view on this issues would change.

DUB

Smash Lord
If I play anything it is gonna be Brawl. Stingers I don't know why you would quit when you are emerging as the face of NC Brawl. I'm taking Brawl a lot more seriously now.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Melee players view Brawl as less competitive or not as fun, and Brawl players don't like the tech skill requirement in Melee and find the game fun to them in their own way.
Stop assuming things pp

Dub I've been waiting forever for you to take brawl seriously. If you're being serious (:)) then I'm really glad.

DUB

Smash Lord
Stop assuming things pp

Dub I've been waiting forever for you to take brawl seriously. If you're being serious (:)) then I'm really glad.
I've started to do pretty **** good in the locals. When I go to Wilmington, I'm taking what I know and helping build a Brawl powerhouse out there.

I still have every interest in playing Melee, but I can compete on a much higher level in Brawl so I'm going to stick with it. Oh and it's....fun? Thats one reason I play it.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
My main experiences with my examples of Melee behavior was before you started showing up to the scene, PP, and maybe a little shortly after. I know of at least one incident you know of that was drama filled. ;D Who can forget the great "Choke Cord Incident of '07"? I don't think there's been a big issue with any of the three games since Brawl came out, so the specific incidents I'm referring to are from a while back.

You're very right, though - the scene is MUCH more chill than it used to be. At the same time, though, I've moved on to Brawl, and put Melee in the back of my mind. It's just my preference. Do I hate on Melee and its players? No, because in doing so I'd be hating on at LEAST half of the crew. In fact, I need to talk to Snapp about details, but when we start bringing the tourney scene to the Charlotte/Cabarrus area, I'll make sure it's not Brawl only, and we'll have some Melee, too.

As for the "haters" I referred to, that wasn't really anyone in particular. I mean, I'm referring to the guys that found out L-cancelling and wavedashing were taken out of Brawl during the October 2007 public demo of the game, and starting talking **** back then. People that refuse to play it because it's not technical enough, or would rather jump in a dumpster full of dirty needles than put Brawl in their Wii. By no means do I believe that ALL people that prefer Melee are elitists - it's just the elitists themselves that really rile me up. =/

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Yep, still got it.
FANTASTIC. I either need to find some time to head up there and get it, or send ya some money when I get some to have it shipped back here.

If anything, I'll just grab it at the next tourney we can both make it to.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i think brawl people may have a problem with melee folk not playing brawl friendlies when brawl people will play melee friendlies. but nick, why would you put melee in the back? i'm just wondering why you think melee isn't worth it anymore?

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Probably because Melee is a vindictive temptress that needs constant loving and attention otherwise she'll cheat on you and leave you for a better player? :D

That made no sense. Probably because Melee takes constant practice to remain decent. You start to suck really fast if you quit for any significant period of time. Brawl is lawl. It's all thinking. You don't forget how to think, you don't forget how to Brawl.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
It sounds to me that a few players here prefer Brawl over Melee because they feel that Melee takes too much effort. You people do realize that the best things in life come with hard work? :)

And please don't take this as bashing Brawl.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
It sounds to me that a few players here prefer Brawl over Melee because they feel that Melee takes too much effort. You people do realize that the best things in life come with hard work? :)

And please don't take this as bashing Brawl.
This is true, and for the people who have a passion for melee, this must be great.

My personal relationship with the two smash games goes like this:

Melee- I think it's only decent and it requires a lot of effort to be competitive in.

Brawl- I think it's plain good and it requires little effort (at least for me) to be competitive in (I literally never practiced in-between the last 2 or 3 tournies)

I think it's easy to see why I chose to only play Brawl.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
as much as you want it to not seem like bashing, it'll still come off as bashing. stongers, your assumption that the brawl scene is dying is ill-founded. brawl still has a strong scene. part of the reason that it seems like melee is domiinating nc is the fact that kevin is getting so much attention because of his melee accomplishments. let the hype of kevin die down and you'll see that people still play the game.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
let's hope the kevin hype doesn't die down...until he's #1 at least :chuckle:

but you might be right...i still don't know why people are quitting brawl so much though. it's just like nobody cares anymore really. maybe if we had a superstar brawl player like we have for melee people would care more again.

PLUR that might be awhile :p come to my tourney in febuary...its far away, get work off D:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm being hyped? YAY

On a serious note, lots of people play Brawl still. Just wait until next Billfest or whatever and you'll see a good turnout as well as improvement on the whole.

Also, thanks for hyping me in Melee, bros(even though this is totally the wrong thread for it lol). =p

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
i may be in golsboro that weekend. or with my girlfriend. february is a terrible month because the 6th is close to my anniversary and the next weekend is valentines/my birthday/MAYBE a belated anniversary celebration. .

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is true, and for the people who have a passion for melee, this must be great.

My personal relationship with the two smash games goes like this:

Melee- I think it's decent and it requires a lot of effort to be competitive in.

Brawl- I think it's just plain good and it requires little effort (at least for me) to be competitive in (I literally never practiced in-between the last 2 or 3 tournies)

I think it's easy to see why I chose to only play Brawl.
lol, Shady droppin' some honesty on this thread.

Just think if this kid actually practiced.

SK919

Deal with it
I've started to do pretty **** good in the locals. When I go to Wilmington, I'm taking what I know and helping build a Brawl powerhouse out there.

I still have every interest in playing Melee, but I can compete on a much higher level in Brawl so I'm going to stick with it. Oh and it's....fun? Thats one reason I play it.
good luck with building a brawl power house here. we all hate brawl.

There are casual scrubs that play but they suck.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hey people that don't take the game seriously aren't good at it, that's a nice observation

creating interest = cultivating talent

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
the whole crew decided to stop playing in favor of Tekken 6, BlazBlue, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, DDR, and pretty much any other game that's not Smash.

I have this feeling if the Roytards decide to pick up Smash again, they'd all pick up Melee. RTF likes it more, and Tone's been playing it from what I hear, too.
Yes i love Tekken 6. I dont really care for any of those other games...EXCEPT FOR THAT ***** IN JOJO'S THAT GOT THAT ****IN BIG BOOT AS HIS SPECIAL THAT ***** NASTY!!!!!!! LOL

But seriously, I never quit playin smash. I just wanna improve my tekken game. i still play brawl. And like you said, i was just playing last week at UNCC still beasting with Kirby. I just need to enter more tourneys and see what im workin with. I enjoyed being at HERB 2 that day we were there and i can't wait for HERB 3.

But i wanna improve in melee also so i can be decent enough to enter. But Zo won't even hook up melee at his house unless we get another tv like i said a few weeks ago.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
what did he mean by it?

"good luck building a brawl power house here."
-it will be difficult to find interest from brawl players at wilmington

"we all hate brawl."
-people that I hang out with at Wilmington hate Brawl

"There are casual scrubs that play"
-there are people who don't take the game seriously at Wilmington that play Brawl (wait...)

"but they suck."
-but they're not good at it.

right?

i mean honestly...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hahahahahahahahaha you have gotten so sensitive.

I almost regret quitting Brawl but it wouldn't be any fun to trash talk you and then lose.

YES, there are people there who play casually. It sounds to me like they don't want to be more competitive though.

YES, of the competitive players there, none of them like Brawl.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
"It sounds to me like they don't want to be more competitive though."

That's just an assumption.

And yes, I'm assuming they just haven't been exposed to the competitive smash scene. And there's no way to prove who's right, well, unless Slasher feels like saying something.

SK919

Deal with it
yo man I was just letting the kid know there's no brawl scene here. I don't know what your freaking out about.

If he wants to build a power house he's gonna have to brainwash people. I've run a gaming club here for 2.5 years and I can tell you that no one really cares.

Just a bunch of frat boys playing wii yo

theAPExp

Smash Ace
this thread isn't very entertaining
it's melee guys trash talkin brawl
brawl guys validating why they like brawl
and other people saying stuff about how they plan to do something in the future

: /

BEHR

Smash Hero
I like Brawl ill enter it just because its in the community...I just dont have people to play it in Gboro with if I wnated to practice brawl.

All Gboro is Melee.

For Me its like.

Melee is at the top its fun and more competive then Brawl IMO.

Brawl is like my second favorite its fun ill aply it and ill enter tournaments cause its Brawl and fun.

Brawl+......Just no.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
slasher all dub was saying is he wanted to get the "casual scrubs that suck" into competitive brawl. if it turns out theres no interest then theres no interest.

ape thats how all these threads turn out lol.

behr I've seen you play some brawl which is cool...lol herb1

BEHR

Smash Hero
LOL HERB 1

DUDE Stingers lets play Brawl..My Squirtle against whoever you want. 8D

WIFI when I get my Wii back from Vilt,or at the next tourney.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
creating interest = cultivating talent

THIS TIMES MILLIONS!!! This equation is how we got Tone and YKB3 in the Roytards. I remember YKB3 tried out for a local Concord group, when he was just starting out, that rejected him out right - they beat him and wouldn't give him a chance to play with them. We let him and Tone in the 'Tards, and within months they were destroying the team that said they weren't good enough to join them. Even now, it's rare I can beat Tone.

...Tone, you have no idea how hard it was to admit that.

And I forgot you've been playing Brawl lately at UNCC.

i think brawl people may have a problem with melee folk not playing brawl friendlies when brawl people will play melee friendlies. but nick, why would you put melee in the back? i'm just wondering why you think melee isn't worth it anymore?
It's not fun. I simply do not find any enjoyment in playing Melee anymore. It's my preference. I don't want to put effort into something I don't enjoy - that's called a "job," or perhaps a "chore." =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom