• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucario's jab should go a little bit above middle. It can be jab canceled into a tilt, a grab, or a force palm (side-b), but what makes it better is the aura. The aura hit boxes have laser properties and the body hitboxes will still clank if an opponents move outranges the aura.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Falco's jab should be right under Pits
I agree, I like Falcos, they are basically the same, but I THINK (not 100% positive) that Pit's has better range cus it's disjointed.

I think ZSS has a pretty good jab.
Its a good setup. =]
Most of the cast can avoid the last hit, so idk how high ZSS would be, it comes out in frame 1 though so not too low

Falco has a good jab, I'd say Jigglypuff has the worst...or..maybe...I unno.
I agree I hate Jiggs jab, I think its the worst in the game

Not by far. Like there's this massive gap inbetween Zelda and Pikachu the worst two jabs.

Also, nice avatar.
Pika's can trip, still very low on the list but at least it does something
Zelda's is actually very underrated. It has massive range for a jab, good priority, and very little cooldown to counter its big startup lag. It is actually very important in some matchups, like Marth, where its one of the only options that can outrange certain moves that would otherwise put Zelda at a bigger disadvantage already. I see it in around D tier.

Just my 2 cents here.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I thought Pits was faster if you get the repeating jab and has the reverse knockback. Pit has 2 jabs so idk which one he's going by

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The repeating jab. I'm pretty sure Falco reaches the Third repeating part faster than Pit does. I'm not saying it's better, just pointing it out.

Nestec

Smash Ace
... Does the topic creator really intend on making an actual tier list for somethin like this?

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I have to honestly say that Link is in S tier, maybe not at the top of S tier but absolootely in S tier.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just because it's Falcon's most important (?) move doesn't mean it's the best move. Regardless, I do think it's definitely one of the best.

I'd say Kirby has a pretty good jab; though, that's probably just because I'm a vet with him, and I know most of the times it'll work out...

It's average priority, fast, and, if used correctly, can screw up an enemy's combo...

...And set you up for a Final Cutter.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Samus' jab is worst, Captain Falcon's jab is 2nd best underneath Ike, and Snake's isn't even that great considering it only works like 50% of the time you want to use it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
and Snake's isn't even that great considering it only works like 50% of the time you want to use it.
...what? If it only works 50% of the time that you use it, then you aren't reading the opponent correctly, and they're simply punishing the move. Maybe I'm not understanding, but why do you say that it only works half the time? I was under the impression that the jab was pretty darn good in terms of knockback and damage, plus if you use it RIGHT, it shouldn't fail half the time. But then again, it's hard to tell what your idea of the move succeeding is, so whatever.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Snake's jab is no where near Ikes' lol

And Ike's jab should be put on its own under 'Ike tier'

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If Mario's Dtilt is used right, it will still fail.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
No, it will succeed...in hitting the opponent.
-___-
You misunderstood.

When hitting the opponent with Mario's Dtilt, IF BY SOME MIRACLE YOU DO, you will be hit back. They won this battle, even though you both get hit.

Nestec

Smash Ace
I was assuming that the goal of the user was to hit the opponent with it. Though it's a stretch, one can still declare that it was successful. ...um, yeah.
x__x

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Okay Your All Dumb... Ganondorf Deffinately Has The Best Jab
I Mean Whats Not To Love? Short, Sweet, And Powerful.
And Who Doesn't Like A Thunder Punch?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was assuming that the goal of the user was to hit the opponent with it. Though it's a stretch, one can still declare that it was successful. ...um, yeah.
x__x
People try to hit with Dtilt? If you used it, it was by accident. Using that move to begin was failure as a Mario player.

If it was any other move, that's understandable.

This is the worst move in the game, the only move that punishes you for hitting with it.

Also, lol @ Anthony's super-nerd rage in caps that didn't work.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Amazing range
Great speed for its range.
It may not kill with its final hit but you can very easily jab cancel into a move that does.
Last part is irrelavant because follow-ups don't matter.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Last part is irrelavant because follow-ups don't matter.
Follows-ups do matter. They matter a fair bit actually in deciding which jab is better.

Jab A's full combo starts on frame 3 and does 9% damage, but can't cancel into anything due to lack of hitstun.

Jab B's full combo starts on frame 3, does 8% damage, but had mad hitstun on the first hit and can combo into several damaging moves that do more then the full jab combo, and one solid killing move.

Jab B is obviously better. Hitstun is part of a jab, and what you can do with that hit stun is also important.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Follows-ups do matter. They matter a fair bit actually in deciding which jab is better.

Jab A's full combo starts on frame 3 and does 9% damage, but can't cancel into anything due to lack of hitstun.

Jab B's full combo starts on frame 3, does 8% damage, but had mad hitstun on the first hit and can combo into several damaging moves that do more then the full jab combo, and one solid killing move.

Jab B is obviously better. Hitstun is part of a jab, and what you can do with that hit stun is also important.
No, Straked is right. On a jab tier list, your looking only at the jab, not at follow ups cus those involve other moves.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Haven't read the whole thread, but I have seen Olimar's come up as worst a few times.
Guys, it does 15%. It has a huge (behind him, too) disjointed hitbox. Jab locks on walls from behind. An extra, enormous hitbox with transcendent priority.
And just CRAZY priority. Seriously.

It's not GREAT, but it's probably better than Meta's.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Haven't read the whole thread, but I have seen Olimar's come up as worst a few times.
Guys, it does 15%. It has a huge (behind him, too) disjointed hitbox. Jab locks on walls from behind. An extra, enormous hitbox with transcendent priority.
And just CRAZY priority. Seriously.

It's not GREAT, but it's probably better than Meta's.
Wow 15 damage I didnt know that. And a lot of Jabs are better than Meta's....

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
No, Straked is right. On a jab tier list, your looking only at the jab, not at follow ups cus those involve other moves.
Pretty much this.

When trying to find out the best jab, we're just going by the properties that make it good. Sure, jab cancelling followups are cute and all, but we're just pressing 'A' here. The jab by itself.

Top Bottom