• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who does MK have trouble with?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
As a character, MK has no significant disadvantage against any one character in my opinion. Characters that can match him or go pretty even with him include:

Snake, Lucario, Yoshi and G&W.

Characters that don't get ***** by him as hard as some others: DK bros, Marth, D3, Falco, Wario, and ROB. I believe they can compete with MK but are at a disadvantage.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think a lot of people in this thread aren't giving G&W enough credit.

I fully believe the G&W thread when it says 50/50. G&W can outrange MK in some instances, they trade priorities, and powerful smashes on a light character means a very early death for MK. An uncharged usmash will kill MK at about 70%. MK can't escape a dthrow-dsmash combo even with DI. MK has a little bit more trouble edgeguarding G&W than other characters because of the up-b and it's invincibility frames. The tornado works, but G&W often can get out of it early via up-b. G&W also has a few moves that clink with it, a dair right in the middle seems to knock MK out of it, and a well timed sweetspotted dsmash will not only knock MK out of the tornado, but will kill at around 80%.

G&W may even have a very slight advantage, but I'm not convinced about that yet. It's tough for both players. I just don't buy the 60/40 for MK that the MK matchup thread has.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there have been posts on this same topic before, but what character does MK have trouble against? "Snake" is not a valid answer as well. :)
Character wise MK is weak against strong moves that send him upwards.
(Ex: Snake Utilt, Lucas Usmash, Link Dair)

Unfortunately, I think you and many other people who are looking for his counter are having problems with skilled MK players who are difficult to defeat despite knowing their character's weakness.

Having a character who has attributes that work against MK's weakness does not guarantee automatic defeat. You will always have to be more skillful than your opponent to win.

(Ex: M2K Rapefest, Azen Spacing of DOOM, Deva flying Dairs)

Try stages that work against his weakness as well (Low ceilings ala Norfair) and try to remember that at higher levels of play you are no longer Brawling MK but the player.

Good Luck.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Snake, Metakhight, DK, Yoshi and Sonic.
Sonic?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good joke man, oh wait, you were serious?

MK hard-counters sonic.

Yoshi and MK (obviously) are even. Snake and DK are 60/40 with MK's advantage. There are a few evens and some characters that just don't get killed as hard, but MK doesn't have any real disadvantages, except possibly Diddy. And that's cause diddy is weird.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sonic?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good joke man, oh wait, you were serious?

MK hard-counters sonic.

Yoshi and MK (obviously) are even. Snake and DK are 60/40 with MK's advantage. There are a few evens and some characters that just don't get killed as hard, but MK doesn't have any real disadvantages, except possibly Diddy. And that's cause diddy is weird.
I was being serious. I only posted Sonic as no one would believe me. I'll keep does reasons to myself, I wouldn't want to give any thing away would I?

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I just love it that my so-called bottom tier main has an even matchup with MK. Don't forget a 0% fair spike on Falco, and completely ****** Wario.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
"Falcon Punch vs. Roundhouse Kick
Who would win?
Not the Earth."

lol amazing sig.

what do you guys think of IC's vs MK? I use them to counter pick MK, but Mk still has a major advantage. it's just... the grab deaths help, hehe, and they are easy to time against him

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I was being serious. I only posted Sonic as no one would believe me. I'll keep does reasons to myself, I wouldn't want to give any thing away would I?
MK ***** Sonic.

That is all.

Why do threads like this exist when Metaknight has trouble with like..no one?
He has trouble with some characters (DK and Snake), he just doesn't have any truly disadvantageous match-ups.

Troublesome =/= Disadvantageous

Dojo

Smash Champion
There's not a significantly hard matchup at all in my opinion... MK can overcome every single character in this game.

The key is being a better player. Simple as that...

CO18

Smash Hero
Seibrik and I are in the same state.

I still beat 95% of mks i play simply because im better than them.
But theres 1 flippin dude in fl that is like a nado expert and its the only nado spam I cant deal with lol.

In general from what i know i do better vs mk than seibrik, he might do better vs afro's mk though but I do better vs Master Raven who i win like 50-60% against when we play and every1 thinks hes the best mk in the state.

And Raven is like 2312301313X better than the mk I cant beat too it's ridiculous.

pridy

:]
mk has no bad matchups

besides captain falcon mk stands no chance on him lLOL

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
I say MK has no disadvantage

Well i guess there is lucario.

For me im not a good MK but the only trouble i got is Diddy and his bananas

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Please keep telling yourself that and take it to tournaments. I'm sure the MKs there will appreciate you using sonic against them.

Seriously, because my brother is a sonic main (and a good one at that) and I'm an MK secondary, I know the attributes involved very well. Sonic has too many abusable weaknesses in this match-up.

But I'll keep them to myself for now, I'll demonstrate them first hand though, if I encounter you at a tournament.

Not on my Sonic. But what ever...
Because you're A LOT better then the MKs you're playing.

Smash Master
You can't beat Metaknight unless you are also Metaknight.

Get practicing.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hmm the only character that has a truly neutral matchup with MK is... MK

The other can be argued to a degree I guess.
I think the fact that he has none is totally false. He has at least four match ups at 4:6 with Donkey Kong, Snake, Falco and G&W. On top of that, he has even match ups with Lucario, Diddy and King Dedede. That is how I see it. Anyone arguing otherwise gives Meta Knight too much credit and really doesn't think clearly.

Despite the fact that the rest of the cast has a disadvantage, there are other characters that still do well. Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers... there is likely more than that.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the fact that he has none is totally false. He has at least four match ups at 4:6 with Donkey Kong, Snake, Falco and G&W. On top of that, he has even match ups with Lucario, Diddy and King Dedede. That is how I see it. Anyone arguing otherwise gives Meta Knight too much credit and really doesn't think clearly.

Despite the fact that the rest of the cast has a disadvantage, there are other characters that still do well. Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers... there is likely more than that.
lol no

Neither of these 4 have an adv over MK.
Diddy has a disadv vs him 40:60

Ulevo

Smash Master
lol no

Neither of these 4 have an adv over MK.
Diddy has a disadv vs him 40:60
And you'd like to claim this how?

Falco's lasers surpass Meta Knight in priority on everything, including the Tornado, and forces Meta Knight approach, putting Falco at the advantage in both circumstances. His Reflector also out ranges and out prioritizes all of Meta Knights moves If he needs to retreat, he has short hop Phantasm to do so and it is very effective at resetting spacing. His Nair goes through the Glide Attack meaning he is always safe from an approaching Meta Knight through the Glide. He has a Chain Grab that leads him to a guaranteed 60%, and Meta Knight dies early enough as it is. Falco also has a decent melee set of moves that are sufficient enough to compete at close combat.

G&W turtle out ranges all of Meta Knights moves excluding maybe the third FTilt strike, and it even goes through the Glide Attack. All of G&W's attacks have huge disjointed hitboxes that are capable of beating out most of Meta Knights moves. Even the Mach Tornado loses to a plethora of attacks that in most cases will endanger Meta Knight rather than actually help him. Uair and Up B are both capable of popping Meta Knight into the air where he is helpless and susceptible to a free smash of the users choice. Uair will also relieve decay on G&W's attacks very easily with the extended hitbox length. G&W's invincibility and huge hit box on his Up B ensures that Meta Knight will rarely ever gimp G&W; an advantage Meta Knight usually has on most characters. DThrow to Jab or DSmash are only avoidable via tech (which can then be tech chased to a smash), and DSmash kills at low percent. And lets not forget that G&W hits significantly hard than Meta Knight, and will mean he will die much earlier in this match.

Donkey Kong out ranges, out powers, out weighs, and out lasts Meta Knight in almost every way. Despite all those characteristics, he's fast as well. FTilt and DTilt out ranges practically everything Meta Knight has, if not everything. UTilt also ensures Meta Knight can't camp with Dair, and Uair threatens to kill Meta Knight if he camps too high. Bair extends farther than all of Meta Knights aerials and is has almost no lag attached. Donkey Punch, FSmash and DSmash all go through the Tornado and kill Meta Knight at very stupid percents. Most people claim Meta Knight has the advantage due to the Tornado, which is hard to see when you consider that DK can go through it with a variety of moves. Let's no forget that if Meta Knight is grabbed at 50% near the edge, he dies.

Snake has no reason to even approach Meta Knight. With three moves, he has the advantage until Meta Knight closes the distance: Grenade, FTilt, UTilt. Grenades along with C4 and Mines ensure Meta Knight cannot keep his distance or approach carelessly without taking high percents of damage. Grenade Stripping ensures Meta Knight also can't pick up the Grenades and throw them back, forcing him to approach. FTilt will out range almost anything Meta Knight tries from there, and if he uses Tornado (and gets past any Grenades that were thrown at him before using it), UTilt will go right through it. UTilt also ensures he doesn't Dair camp, and kills Meta Knight very early. Mortar Slide grants Snake mobility that he otherwise would not have in this match up, and can act as tool to reset spacing to repeat the Grenade Camping or to set up for an edge guard. USmash and Nikita ensure that Meta Knight cannot safely return, and he is in danger of meeting with Snakes attacks once he lands on stage. DThrow sets up for free Dash Attacks or FTilts, which is an awesome kill set up. Dair and Nair will also kill very well, and Dair will eat a Meta Knights shield if he chooses to try and block. Despite Snakes Cypher being easy to abuse, if the Snake player uses proper DI, it will allow Snake to use the Cypher high up meaning that there is little Meta Knight can do. From there, he is forced to work around Grenades, falling C4 and the timing of Snakes air dodges in order to take the advantage. Because of this, Meta Knight has to attempt to actually knock Snake into a blastzone, which is very difficult to do because of how absurdly heavy Snake happens to be.

"lol no" isn't a smart argument.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Falco's lasers surpass Meta Knight in priority on everything, including the Tornado, and forces Meta Knight approach, putting Falco at the advantage in both circumstances. His Reflector also out ranges and out prioritizes all of Meta Knights moves If he needs to retreat, he has short hop Phantasm to do so and it is very effective at resetting spacing. His Nair goes through the Glide Attack meaning he is always safe from an approaching Meta Knight through the Glide. He has a Chain Grab that leads him to a guaranteed 60%, and Meta Knight dies early enough as it is. Falco also has a decent melee set of moves that are sufficient enough to compete at close combat.
Bad argument is bad.
SHL laser and reflector far from stop MK from approaching.
You think it stops Marth from approaching DFalco? Hardly.
Big deal he is forced to approach, hwoever the number of options that MK has in approaching are safe and do not make it overly hard to approach Falco.
He also outdoes Falco close up and definitely dominates him aerially.
Falco is very easily edgeguarded as well.

Fearing the CG? Space with your tilts and make use of your multijumps to remain in the air, thats what kirby does and it works quite well for him.
At best its a neutral matchup not a 6:4 matchup.

G&W turtle out ranges all of Meta Knights moves excluding maybe the third FTilt strike, and it even goes through the Glide Attack.
Alot of mvoes go throught he glide attack, it has rather poor priority.
All of G&W's attacks have huge disjointed hitboxes that are capable of beating out most of Meta Knights moves. Even the Mach Tornado loses to a plethora of attacks that in most cases will endanger Meta Knight rather than actually help him. Uair and Up B are both capable of popping Meta Knight into the air where he is helpless and susceptible to a free smash of the users choice. Uair will also relieve decay on G&W's attacks very easily with the extended hitbox length. G&W's invincibility and huge hit box on his Up B ensures that Meta Knight will rarely ever gimp G&W; an advantage Meta Knight usually has on most characters. DThrow to Jab or DSmash are only avoidable via tech (which can then be tech chased to a smash), and DSmash kills at low percent. And lets not forget that G&W hits significantly hard than Meta Knight, and will mean he will die much earlier in this match.
This is the only one I can really agree with but there are a few things.
G&W is much lighter than MK and so G&W's killing power is lessened.
While G&W cannot be gimped easily MK is capable of land camping him.
G&W's turtle is very good but he is committed to its usage when he pulls it out so if you are playing safely (as you should do anyway) the turtle is not as large a threat.
Uair is a good move for G&W but just because he can remove the decay on his moves with it doesn't mean he is guaranteed to kill you. Other than his grab to Dthrow he cannot link into his kill moves very easily and all of MK's kill moves outspeed those of G&W.

Teching the D throw isn't too difficult and I am quite sure you have enough time to shield any of his smashes afterwards.

MK has a easier time getting his KO'es and considering you should be using your tornado sparingly and not using it as the only means of approach (act like Marth for a bit) you aren't going to have a major issue either.
Donkey Kong out ranges, out powers, out weighs, and out lasts Meta Knight in almost every way.
The range isn't a major issue because he also extends his hitbox at the same time.
Despite all those characteristics, he's fast as well. FTilt and DTilt out ranges practically everything Meta Knight has, if not everything. UTilt also ensures Meta Knight can't camp with Dair, and Uair threatens to kill Meta Knight if he camps too high. Bair extends farther than all of Meta Knights aerials and is has almost no lag attached. Donkey Punch, FSmash and DSmash all go through the Tornado and kill Meta Knight at very stupid percents. Most people claim Meta Knight has the advantage due to the Tornado, which is hard to see when you consider that DK can go through it with a variety of moves. Let's no forget that if Meta Knight is grabbed at 50% near the edge, he dies.
Here is an idea DON'T DEPEND ON THE TORNADO.
Alot of arguments base themselves on what go through the tornado and what do not. Big deal he has moves that go through your tornado use other moves then.
MK has many other methods for approaching Dk and attacking other tah his tornado so such arguments are not major factors.

If Dk has his back to you then obviously he is going to bust out a Bair at which point you can react accordingly
DK is heavy so comboing him is very easy.
Gimping him isn't too difficult either because his ^B is vulnerable from the top and bottom so a Dair can hit him out of it.

Play like Marth, use your Fairs, tilts to poke at Dk and attack him safely and keep yourself in a position where you can avoid his attacks safely which is not very difficult.
Don't jump into the ****, play safely and you'll find that DK won't have large oppurtunities to land an early kill and will take more damage than he'll deliver to you. So it equalizes.

Uair should not harass you at all. He's below you and goes for a Uair I believe you can Dair him out of it or you can just predict it (which won't be hard due to the lack of range) and avoid it.

USmash and Nikita ensure that Meta Knight cannot safely return, and he is in danger of meeting with Snakes attacks once he lands on stage.
not really.
MK is not limited at all.
Usmash and Nikita don't do much if you are DIing properly and use your jumps properly along with air dodging.
MK and ROb and Sonic are one of those characters that Snake is better off not wasting hs time trying to edgeguard.
Dair and Nair will also kill very well, and Dair will eat a Meta Knights shield if he chooses to try and block.
Why oh why did you even bring this up?
Snake jumps you **** him.
If Snake uses any aerial he is committed to that aerial much like Fox is committed to his aerials.

If Snake tries to nair or Dair you dodge and **** him for being stupid. No Snake is going into the air because in such a position MK WILL **** him.
In fact its one of his weaknesses which is whyt hey stay onthe ground. There is a topic about it in the snake forums.
Despite Snakes Cypher being easy to abuse, if the Snake player uses proper DI, it will allow Snake to use the Cypher high up meaning that there is little Meta Knight can do.

Do a Sonic, jump, jumps a few more times and atack.
Snake in the air is a snake that is dead.

From there, he is forced to work around Grenades, falling C4 and the timing of Snakes air dodges in order to take the advantage. Because of this, Meta Knight has to attempt to actually knock Snake into a blastzone, which is very difficult to do because of how absurdly heavy Snake happens to be.

"lol no" isn't a smart argument.
Snake does not have the time nor speed to drop 2 grenades then C4.
Let alone that in such a position dropping the grenades and C4 below him is really all he can do. In such a position MK can get at Snake.

Wait for him to fall a bit more then act accordingly.
Nair, Fair, Bair are quick enough that you can follow up with another after he airdodges and can capitalize.

Snake is very very vulnerable in the air and in such a position MK should not ahve much difficulty getting to him even if he drops grenades and C4.
Simply because Mk can maneuver himself in the air into a position where he can capitalzie on Snake.

Again act like a Marth and play things very safely. yes Snake has very intimidating tilts but he has glaring weaknesses in that you can punish him after you shield his tilts (you should know the range) and his recovery is very vulnerable. It has slow acceleration going up so it should not be hard for MK to follow him.

Each of those character MK can get around by playing safely and not trying to jump in with an offensive game. He has to be passive aggressive similar to how a Marth would play. Take advantage of your range and priority and air maneuverability.

Big deal MK cannot use his tornado much against those characters, he has enough to him that he can attack them safely without placing himself in an overly compromising position.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Bad argument is bad.
SHL laser and reflector far from stop MK from approaching.
You think it stops Marth from approaching DFalco? Hardly.
Big deal he is forced to approach, hwoever the number of options that MK has in approaching are safe and do not make it overly hard to approach Falco.
He also outdoes Falco close up and definitely dominates him aerially.
Falco is very easily edgeguarded as well.
The point that I was trying to make was that because Meta Knight is forced to approach, it puts Falco at the advantage. I wasn't necessarily arguing Meta Knight can't approach, or that he has a major problem doing so. Falco can also reset the spacing to force Meta Knight to approach again via short hop Phantasm. Also, due to the speed of Phantasm, Falco isn't easy to edgeguard. He is easier than some characters, but it isn't a simple task.

Fearing the CG? Space with your tilts and make use of your multijumps to remain in the air, thats what kirby does and it works quite well for him.
At best its a neutral matchup not a 6:4 matchup.
If Meta Knight trys to space with Tilts, he'll eat a Reflector to the face. If Meta Knight goes in the air, Falco will just drop back and SHDL or Nair, depending on his positioning.

Alot of mvoes go throught he glide attack, it has rather poor priority.
Considering that priority actually means Speed + Power + Hitbox Size, I'd say it's priority is pretty **** amazing. The only thing it is average on is Power, and that is what allows the first hit of the Falcos Nair or G&W's Bair to clank with it, and have the other hits pass through him. If they were not multihit attacks, it simply wouldn't work.

This is the only one I can really agree with but there are a few things.
G&W is much lighter than MK and so G&W's killing power is lessened.
While G&W cannot be gimped easily MK is capable of land camping him.
G&W's turtle is very good but he is committed to its usage when he pulls it out so if you are playing safely (as you should do anyway) the turtle is not as large a threat.
Uair is a good move for G&W but just because he can remove the decay on his moves with it doesn't mean he is guaranteed to kill you. Other than his grab to Dthrow he cannot link into his kill moves very easily and all of MK's kill moves outspeed those of G&W.
I don't understand how G&W being lighter "lessens" his killing power. It doesn't. It just means G&W will die early as well. But considering the power of his attacks, Meta Knight will die first most of the time.

The point of the Turtle is a powerful spacing tool. It doesn't need to be a threat. It keeps G&W safe, and overrides everything but the Tornado if Meta Knight decides to come in close.

I also never said relieving decay with Uair ensured a kill on Meta Knight. It's an advantage G&W has. I was listing it.

It doesn't matter if his kill moves can or can't link into one another. DThrow to DSmash is usually good enough, because if the kill doesn't go off, a tech chase is viable. Most characters don't even have that. Meta Knight has that with his DThrow, except it is much easier to avoid and doesn't require a tech. The only reason Meta Knight has an easier time with his kill moves is because they're faster, but that doesn't mean skilled G&W players won't be hitting you with Smashes, Fairs or Dairs. The fact is they will, and when G&W goes shot for shot vs Meta Knight, G&W wins.[/quote]

Teching the D throw isn't too difficult and I am quite sure you have enough time to shield any of his smashes afterwards.

MK has a easier time getting his KO'es and considering you should be using your tornado sparingly and not using it as the only means of approach (act like Marth for a bit) you aren't going to have a major issue either.
G&W can also tech chase and regrab Meta Knight, starting the whole process over again. Also, because of the range of the Turtle, Meta Knight is often forced to use the Tornado in order to approach. Using it sparingly works in a lot of cases, but it is more useful in this circumstance, thus will be used more.[/quote]

The range isn't a major issue because he also extends his hitbox at the same time.

Here is an idea DON'T DEPEND ON THE TORNADO.
Alot of arguments base themselves on what go through the tornado and what do not. Big deal he has moves that go through your tornado use other moves then.
MK has many other methods for approaching Dk and attacking other tah his tornado so such arguments are not major factors.
I don't depend on the Tornado. The fact is, most people argue that Donkey Kong has a disadvantage in this match up partially due to the Mach Tornado. I am pointing out that this is false. I am not assuming the Tornado will be spammed, or that it should be.

Also, such arguments are major factors. The Tornado goes through a lot of attacks, such as DK's Tilts, that Meta Knight normally cannot out range. Having attacks that pass through them is a valuable asset. I don't care if you agree or not, it's the truth. I'm not arguing that since he does have those moves, he wins the match up. I'm stating that they aid him a lot.

If Dk has his back to you then obviously he is going to bust out a Bair at which point you can react accordingly
You've never heard of RARing have you?

DK is heavy so comboing him is very easy.
Gimping him isn't too difficult either because his ^B is vulnerable from the top and bottom so a Dair can hit him out of it.
Whether or not a character is heavy is irrelevant. It's the rate at which they fall and they're size. In either case, Air Dodging eliminates combos in most scenarios along with proper DI, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

Anyway, if DK is down low, he's in a lot of trouble. With proper DI though, most attacks in Brawl should send you upwards. In which case, DK will have an easier time recovering. Meta Knight definitely has an easier time gimping DK, but it isn't as prominent as you are claiming.[/quote]

Play like Marth, use your Fairs, tilts to poke at Dk and attack him safely and keep yourself in a position where you can avoid his attacks safely which is not very difficult.
Don't jump into the ****, play safely and you'll find that DK won't have large oppurtunities to land an early kill and will take more damage than he'll deliver to you. So it equalizes.
Do you even know how Marth beats a DK? He doesn't "play like Marth" and space himself from a distance. He'll get killed, and Marth has overall better range than Meta Knight. He gets inside DK's massive range with superior speed and goes from there. What gives you the idea that you can play safe from DK better than DK is beyond me, but suit yourself. You'll get outrange, and eventually smacked off screen.

"Don't jump into the ****" isn't a valuable asset in a match up discussion. It's advice that any player with any character can follow. You can't assume that if you don't get hit, you'll be fine. You will get hit. The fact is DK has the advantage. Just because you don't jump into the **** doesn't change that fact.

To put it into better perspective for you, Marths worst match up is Meta Knight. Marth can win, and does much better, when he plays safe the way you described a Meta Knight should against a DK. "Play like Marth". That doesn't mean Marth has the advantage, which is what this topic is about. Marth still loses at 4:6.

Uair should not harass you at all. He's below you and goes for a Uair I believe you can Dair him out of it or you can just predict it (which won't be hard due to the lack of range) and avoid it.
The Uairs lack of range is offset by it's speed. Also, its hitbox is bigger than it appears, which other the other hand Meta Knights Dair is deceptively smaller in hitbox size than it actually is. And please don't say "you can just predict it". If you want to use that argument, I'll just start assuming the opponent in question is perfect and then Meta Knight always loses.

not really.
MK is not limited at all.
Usmash and Nikita don't do much if you are DIing properly and use your jumps properly along with air dodging.
MK and ROb and Sonic are one of those characters that Snake is better off not wasting hs time trying to edgeguard.
Um... What? You're kidding right?

Meta Knight either has to jump over the USmash or Air Dodge through it. And keep in mind Snake can keep multiple going at a time. If he jumps over it, Snake is waiting on the other side of the projectile. If he Air Dodges through, it's even worse. Snake can also use Grenades, C4 and Mines to help guard the edge for when he makes it through, and then guard even further back if he gets past all those hazards. Nikita is more so to use as an offstage tactic when Meta Knight is just recovering from the Blastzone area. It in most cases won't hit Meta Knight, but it forces him to react accordingly to what the player plans to do next. It's more of an aid and (dare I say it?) mind game.

Why oh why did you even bring this up?
Snake jumps you **** him.
If Snake uses any aerial he is committed to that aerial much like Fox is committed to his aerials.

If Snake tries to nair or Dair you dodge and **** him for being stupid. No Snake is going into the air because in such a position MK WILL **** him.
In fact its one of his weaknesses which is whyt hey stay onthe ground. There is a topic about it in the snake forums.
I wasn't implying Snake should go aerial consistently. He shouldn't. But as an edge guard or in certain circumstances, Nair is useful and kills very well. That is what I was trying to point out, and it is in fact true.

Dair on the other hand should be used from a short hop to punish shields or spot dodges when Meta Knight and Snake are in close quarters.

Any Snake planning to go aerial when the circumstance doesn't call for it is going to be slaughtered, which was not a point I was trying to make.

Do a Sonic, jump, jumps a few more times and atack.
Snake in the air is a snake that is dead.
No. Meta Knight is forced to use his multiple jumps which will not always reach Snake. If he tries this when Snake is coming down and attacks Snake, he's going to not only hit Snake, but the Grenade he's holding. That could kill Meta Knight at higher percents. Not to mention Snake can drop a C4 and blow it up before Meta Knight reaches him. He also has Air Dodges to throw into the mix.

Snake doesn't compete well in the air, but Meta Knight is by no means able to safely go after him from when he's high up. Snake doesn't like the situation, but Meta Knight will die or take more damage that Snake will if Meta Knight isn't very careful.

Snake does not have the time nor speed to drop 2 grenades then C4.
Let alone that in such a position dropping the grenades and C4 below him is really all he can do. In such a position MK can get at Snake.

Wait for him to fall a bit more then act accordingly.
Nair, Fair, Bair are quick enough that you can follow up with another after he airdodges and can capitalize.
I never once stated Snake can drop 2 Grenades and a C4. You're just exaggerating my statements. I pointed out Snakes options in the air when he is falling, because in order for Meta Knight to capitalize on Snake, he has to predict which options will be used otherwise he could potentially die from a Grenade or C4, or at the very least he won't punish Snake.

Snake is very very vulnerable in the air and in such a position MK should not ahve much difficulty getting to him even if he drops grenades and C4.
Simply because Mk can maneuver himself in the air into a position where he can capitalzie on Snake.
Snake doesn't have to blow up the C4 mind you. He can drop it and simply wait for the attack to come and Air Dodge through.

Again act like a Marth and play things very safely. yes Snake has very intimidating tilts but he has glaring weaknesses in that you can punish him after you shield his tilts (you should know the range) and his recovery is very vulnerable. It has slow acceleration going up so it should not be hard for MK to follow him.
Playing safe against Snake is much easier to do since his Tilts do not outrange yours by a large amount. You still need to remember that Snake still has mines and C4, and can use them with his positioning and tilts to control the match. That is half of what makes Snake so dangerous. If he lacked those assets, he'd be just another Ike. Those are weaknesses Snake has, but in the end they aren't large enough to warrant Meta Knight having the advantage overall.

Each of those character MK can get around by playing safely and not trying to jump in with an offensive game. He has to be passive aggressive similar to how a Marth would play. Take advantage of your range and priority and air maneuverability.

Big deal MK cannot use his tornado much against those characters, he has enough to him that he can attack them safely without placing himself in an overly compromising position.
Again, just because Meta Knight can get around those character by playing safe doesn't mean he has the advantage, which is the topic at hand. Look at Marth vs Meta Knight. It's the same **** thing.

And the points made on the Tornado, once again, were to emphasize how it isn't as big of an advantage as people claim. I wasn't implying that because it can be beaten, the character will win. It's just another advantage that was worth posting.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
If Meta Knight trys to space with Tilts, he'll eat a Reflector to the face. If Meta Knight goes in the air, Falco will just drop back and SHDL or Nair, depending on his positioning.
Not really.
Mk is very good at zoning so he can't SDL safely without risking a hit.
he can do it but MK's range and speed is enough to prevent Falco from pulling an SDl.

Considering that priority actually means Speed + Power + Hitbox Size, I'd say it's priority is pretty **** amazing. The only thing it is average on is Power, and that is what allows the first hit of the Falcos Nair or G&W's Bair to clank with it, and have the other hits pass through him. If they were not multihit attacks, it simply wouldn't work.
Speed is unimportant to priority.
Power is groundwise.
hitbox/hurtbox ratio is what you mean for the last and thats most important aerially.
Aerials do not clank.
They either break or continue due to the hitbox/hurtbox behavior.

The priority is not amazing.
Sonic's spindash can clank the stupid thing.

I don't understand how G&W being lighter "lessens" his killing power. It doesn't. It just means G&W will die early as well. But considering the power of his attacks, Meta Knight will die first most of the time.
What i mean is that it doesn't bring out his killing power as much.
If two light characters face off yeah G&W has greater power but he is lighter so he can't really put it to as much effect.
The point of the Turtle is a powerful spacing tool. It doesn't need to be a threat. It keeps G&W safe, and overrides everything but the Tornado if Meta Knight decides to come in close.
hmm okay agreed.
I also never said relieving decay with Uair ensured a kill on Meta Knight. It's an advantage G&W has. I was listing it.
Okay.
It doesn't matter if his kill moves can or can't link into one another. DThrow to DSmash is usually good enough, because if the kill doesn't go off, a tech chase is viable. Most characters don't even have that. Meta Knight has that with his DThrow, except it is much easier to avoid and doesn't require a tech. The only reason Meta Knight has an easier time with his kill moves is because they're faster, but that doesn't mean skilled G&W players won't be hitting you with Smashes, Fairs or Dairs. The fact is they will, and when G&W goes shot for shot vs Meta Knight, G&W wins.
Dthrow to Dsmash is not good enough.
Sonic has his spincharge to Bair but that isn't enough.
MK has a much easier time linking into his kill moves which is much more important.

Otherwise the opponent is at 150% and you're struggling to kill them off.
Mk doesn't have this issue.
G&W can also tech chase and regrab Meta Knight, starting the whole process over again. Also, because of the range of the Turtle, Meta Knight is often forced to use the Tornado in order to approach. Using it sparingly works in a lot of cases, but it is more useful in this circumstance, thus will be used more.
I disagree, I am sure that mk can abuse his Fair and several other aerials. The only thing that really outranges and outprioritizes MK's aerials is the turtle.

I don't depend on the Tornado. The fact is, most people argue that Donkey Kong has a disadvantage in this match up partially due to the Mach Tornado. I am pointing out that this is false. I am not assuming the Tornado will be spammed, or that it should be.
Never said you were I am saying the mentioning of the mach tornado being broken is not a major factor because of MK's other moves.
Also, such arguments are major factors. The Tornado goes through a lot of attacks, such as DK's Tilts, that Meta Knight normally cannot out range. Having attacks that pass through them is a valuable asset. I don't care if you agree or not, it's the truth. I'm not arguing that since he does have those moves, he wins the match up. I'm stating that they aid him a lot.
yes it is important but it is not a major one. The reason for this is because while Mk does lose it he has alot of other moves to fall back upon.
if it were that the tornado was one of his few methods of approaching an opponent it would become major. MK has shown however, that he has more to make up for the loss of the tornado.

For example its like his killing moves. Yeah he ahs few killing moves but is it a major issue?
no because they are very reliable kill moves.
You've never heard of RARing have you?
You make silly assumptions.
I am a Sonic main of course I RAR.
However there is enough time to react. I've done it regularly and im not the sharpest tool.

Whether or not a character is heavy is irrelevant. It's the rate at which they fall and they're size. In either case, Air Dodging eliminates combos in most scenarios along with proper DI, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.
Weight is important to horiziontal kills.
The air combos I argue about are strings. Even if you dodge them MK still has an opportunity to follow up.
Anyway, if DK is down low, he's in a lot of trouble. With proper DI though, most attacks in Brawl should send you upwards. In which case, DK will have an easier time recovering. Meta Knight definitely has an easier time gimping DK, but it isn't as prominent as you are claiming.
By no means am Is aying it will happen, I am saying he has ane asier time gimping DK than most others.

Do you even know how Marth beats a DK? He doesn't "play like Marth" and space himself from a distance. He'll get killed, and Marth has overall better range than Meta Knight. He gets inside DK's massive range with superior speed and goes from there. What gives you the idea that you can play safe from DK better than DK is beyond me, but suit yourself. You'll get outrange, and eventually smacked off screen.

"Don't jump into the ****" isn't a valuable asset in a match up discussion. It's advice that any player with any character can follow. You can't assume that if you don't get hit, you'll be fine. You will get hit. The fact is DK has the advantage. Just because you don't jump into the **** doesn't change that fact.

To put it into better perspective for you, Marths worst match up is Meta Knight. Marth can win, and does much better, when he plays safe the way you described a Meta Knight should against a DK. "Play like Marth". That doesn't mean Marth has the advantage, which is what this topic is about. Marth still loses at 4:6.

The Uairs lack of range is offset by it's speed. Also, its hitbox is bigger than it appears, which other the other hand Meta Knights Dair is deceptively smaller in hitbox size than it actually is. And please don't say "you can just predict it". If you want to use that argument, I'll just start assuming the opponent in question is perfect and then Meta Knight always loses.

Um... What? You're kidding right?

Meta Knight either has to jump over the USmash or Air Dodge through it. And keep in mind Snake can keep multiple going at a time. If he jumps over it, Snake is waiting on the other side of the projectile. If he Air Dodges through, it's even worse. Snake can also use Grenades, C4 and Mines to help guard the edge for when he makes it through, and then guard even further back if he gets past all those hazards. Nikita is more so to use as an offstage tactic when Meta Knight is just recovering from the Blastzone area. It in most cases won't hit Meta Knight, but it forces him to react accordingly to what the player plans to do next. It's more of an aid and (dare I say it?) mind game.

I wasn't implying Snake should go aerial consistently. He shouldn't. But as an edge guard or in certain circumstances, Nair is useful and kills very well. That is what I was trying to point out, and it is in fact true.

Dair on the other hand should be used from a short hop to punish shields or spot dodges when Meta Knight and Snake are in close quarters.

Any Snake planning to go aerial when the circumstance doesn't call for it is going to be slaughtered, which was not a point I was trying to make.

No. Meta Knight is forced to use his multiple jumps which will not always reach Snake. If he tries this when Snake is coming down and attacks Snake, he's going to not only hit Snake, but the Grenade he's holding. That could kill Meta Knight at higher percents. Not to mention Snake can drop a C4 and blow it up before Meta Knight reaches him. He also has Air Dodges to throw into the mix.

Snake doesn't compete well in the air, but Meta Knight is by no means able to safely go after him from when he's high up. Snake doesn't like the situation, but Meta Knight will die or take more damage that Snake will if Meta Knight isn't very careful.

I never once stated Snake can drop 2 Grenades and a C4. You're just exaggerating my statements. I pointed out Snakes options in the air when he is falling, because in order for Meta Knight to capitalize on Snake, he has to predict which options will be used otherwise he could potentially die from a Grenade or C4, or at the very least he won't punish Snake.

Snake doesn't have to blow up the C4 mind you. He can drop it and simply wait for the attack to come and Air Dodge through.

Playing safe against Snake is much easier to do since his Tilts do not outrange yours by a large amount. You still need to remember that Snake still has mines and C4, and can use them with his positioning and tilts to control the match. That is half of what makes Snake so dangerous. If he lacked those assets, he'd be just another Ike. Those are weaknesses Snake has, but in the end they aren't large enough to warrant Meta Knight having the advantage overall.

Again, just because Meta Knight can get around those character by playing safe doesn't mean he has the advantage, which is the topic at hand. Look at Marth vs Meta Knight. It's the same **** thing.

And the points made on the Tornado, once again, were to emphasize how it isn't as big of an advantage as people claim. I wasn't implying that because it can be beaten, the character will win. It's just another advantage that was worth posting.[/QUOTE]

I'll get to the rest once I get out of class

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
G&W turtle out ranges all of Meta Knights moves excluding maybe the third FTilt strike, and it even goes through the Glide Attack. All of G&W's attacks have huge disjointed hitboxes that are capable of beating out most of Meta Knights moves. Even the Mach Tornado loses to a plethora of attacks that in most cases will endanger Meta Knight rather than actually help him. Uair and Up B are both capable of popping Meta Knight into the air where he is helpless and susceptible to a free smash of the users choice. Uair will also relieve decay on G&W's attacks very easily with the extended hitbox length. G&W's invincibility and huge hit box on his Up B ensures that Meta Knight will rarely ever gimp G&W; an advantage Meta Knight usually has on most characters. DThrow to Jab or DSmash are only avoidable via tech (which can then be tech chased to a smash), and DSmash kills at low percent. And lets not forget that G&W hits significantly hard than Meta Knight, and will mean he will die much earlier in this match.
You guys win the long posts of the year award, congrats.

Anyways, I made many of these exact arguments a few pages ago on here. However, are you convinced this gives G&W an advantage? I'd say at least equal, but I'm not sure about an advantage.
G&W > MK... seriously.
can we get some numbers in here? i'm saying for now imo thats its a 5/5 matchup, but i'd wanna lean towards the gw advantage if i had to pick one, especially all the new up air/up b things we're finding out.

Gw has more range and power than mk for sure. MK has a good bit more speed imo on the ground, but that seems to be easily canceled by the dtilt. Bair ***** quite a bit of things, and now that tornado spamming isn't really an option for them (up b trick), they can't resort to anything to win.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Metaknight can still outspace GaW the whole match if Metaknight is patient and plays defensively. GaW has NO options against a defensive metaknight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXnlXN3ydNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKtPChOJeM&feature=related

Ulevo

Smash Master
Metaknight can still outspace GaW the whole match if Metaknight is patient and plays defensively. GaW has NO options against a defensive metaknight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXnlXN3ydNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKtPChOJeM&feature=related
Please explain to me then how Meta Knights Fair, FTilt and DTilt outrange G&W Turtle? Meta Knight's advantage is lagless attacks and superior speed, not spacing ability. Sure, a Meta Knight can win if he spaces and plays defensively, but you can say that for almost any character in brawl. If both of these characters follow the same pattern, G&W wins.

Top Bottom