• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

red stone

Smash Ace
Halo 3 cuz gaybox 360 has been out longer and halo has a huuuugelist of potential users cuz of the first person perspective. but all halo is the same aand ssbb is way more better but ya halo 3 ftl but also ftw in sales.........................if that makes any sence
people like you make the internet community look bad

SR Raptor

Smash Apprentice
I have to say Halo 3. Yea the Wii has sold more systems but no one is buying games. Period, don't call johns like some people who say there aren't good games BS, it isn't selling games...that’s it.

Halo is the most hyped up, expected game ever, bar none. The MC is pasted over drinks and chips and has a multi-billion dollar campaign going after him. He is on a system that people don’t mind sending off 3 or 4 times because it breaks down, he is on a system that I have never had a person bring back. I have had people complain about Wii’s a lot more.

I love both of these games but from what I have seen, the majority of people I play smash with and know who play Smash only play smash...they bought a Wii to use it as a glorified GC.

That first opening post is such BS that its sickening. The people who I come into contact with that play Halo play many more games and they actually care about their console.

P.S. I work at a game store so I can say with some confidence that my assumptions are correct, unless the void I live in is totally out of synch with the real world.

I want both games to succeed and they will but I have never in 2 years had someone bring back a copy of Halo because they didn't like it. I have had about 10 copies of smash brought back because after "after I play it once it sucks"

Halo will break though because it has so much more going for it, everyone knows Halo and I have trouble informing some Wii owners about exactly what Brawl and Smash is.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to buy both games plus some so I don't see why people fight over which one is better or will sell more...

People are just haters...Halo is a fun game and good at parties...same with Smash...

I get a headache playing the same game for hours.

Just buy both a 360 and Wii...I'm going to...Plus a PS3

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I think the race will be pretty tight..... takin in comparison the consoles sales...

Im very sure that both games will boost up the console saling... but.... Halo 3 have a very big chance of winning this.

Taking in consideration the console sales/smash or halo 1/2 buys.... we can say that the race is pretty tight...

but what will make the difference here if how mnay people buy more wiis or more 360s because of the games.

There we will see the true winnar.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
If you think about it... Melee has lasted as long as Halo AND Halo 2...

People will be bored of Halo eventually, especially since Halo 3 is the last installment in the series (of FPS anyway)... and there are a lot more FPSs out there...

Brawl is a pretty unique style of game and it will last quite a bit longer than Halo IMO...

edit: Interesting how my post count reaches 666 when talking about halo :p

BentoBox

Smash Master
I'm going to be the Renegade here and say Brawl. And my opinion is going to be based on the growing Wii sells.
Halo, obviously.

The Wii fails so far. Sure it sells alot, but not because Twilight and Metroid went GOTY. The audience that have helped with the Wii's sales growth aren't what are commonly depicted as hardcore gamers. The Wii isn't doing this great because of the few 1rst parties that are coming out this year (games actually aimed towards said hardcore fanbase). I wouldn't be surprised if WiiFit outsold SSBB. Am I the only one here who'll be buying a Wii once SSBB comes out? :p

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
clearly halo 3 wins

its gone gold with over 1 milli0on PRE ORDERS...its not even out yet and its a best seller

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Halo: Copy and paste everything from Halo 2, add a couple uncreative maps and weapons, spruce up the graphics, and replace Halo 2's story mode with Halo 3's.

Brawl: Improve old characters, add new ones, add new combat tactics, implement many different story modes into a collective plot, include plenty of nostalgia from previous titles with brand new elements.
Fanboy Ahoy!

Seriously? Nostalgia from previous titles and new elements? Halo 3 too. New combat tactics? Oh yes! Good story mode? Hell yeah! Improve old characters? No question.

Just LIKING smash brothers twisted your oppinion and makes you bashes others, wich is actually pretty foolish. Dont get me wrong, I'd like Brawl obove Halo 3 very likely, but it is nonesense that your dumbing the series down in a few sentances for everyone to believe. Halo 3 has the best online play of all, awesome story with great cutscenes, awesome multiplayer, brilliant characters, nice fresh new maps and ofcourse great new weapons and other elements like bubble shields and man cannons.

But hell, I cant change your oppinion because you see the game world in black and white, meaning you will choose smash above all other and bash other games just because they're...Other games.

Cheers,

2nd

Puffs

Smash Ace
Fanboy Ahoy!

Seriously? Nostalgia from previous titles and new elements? Halo 3 too. New combat tactics? Oh yes! Good story mode? Hell yeah! Improve old characters? No question.

Just LIKING smash brothers twisted your oppinion and makes you bashes others, wich is actually pretty foolish. Dont get me wrong, I'd like Brawl obove Halo 3 very likely, but it is nonesense that your dumbing the series down in a few sentances for everyone to believe. Halo 3 has the best online play of all, awesome story with great cutscenes, awesome multiplayer, brilliant characters, nice fresh new maps and ofcourse great new weapons and other elements like bubble shields and man cannons.

But hell, I cant change your oppinion because you see the game world in black and white, meaning you will choose smash above all other and bash other games just because they're...Other games.

Cheers,

2nd
Fanboy? I know a good game when I see one. And Halo is not how a goof FPS works. Metroid Prime, Goldeneye 007, and Timesplitters are examples of good FPS games. They all have fresh material with solid plot. The unique mechanics and control elements also add to the experience.

And singling out an intelligent gamer to try and start a flame war is not a decent form of entertainment.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Halo may not be an original but doesn't mean it's bad. I personally like Halo and wish were on wii. However I think there a couple key deferences between the games now that will make smash win just like how the wii won when everyone thought Ps3 would (because PS2had in the past)

komickid

Smash Apprentice
It's possible that brawl could sell more in long term but halo will probably sell faster.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I think Halo will outsell in America, but in the rest of the world, SSBB will win.

Also, Wiifitness has surpased in america more than 300 % of the initial stock in pre-orders, so wiifit will sell more than halo 3 ROFL

dk64

Smash Cadet
hmm, these r my 2 favorite game franchises ever, but ima go w/ halo cuz i heard it's already the most pre-ordered game in history, or sumthing along those lines. so i think thats a pretty good head start right there. but i'll prolly get smash way before i ever get halo, if i ever do. so i thik smash wins in japan, but halo wins everywere else. (definatly america though.)

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
hmm, these r my 2 favorite game franchises ever, but ima go w/ halo cuz i heard it's already the most pre-ordered game in history, or sumthing along those lines. so i think thats a pretty good head start right there. but i'll prolly get smash way before i ever get halo, if i ever do. so i thik smash wins in japan, but halo wins everywere else. (definatly america though.)

dont forget that Halo 3 comes out a few months earlier, so saying that it will win due to the fact that there is more pre-orders might not mean anything. I'm sure when midNovember swings around smash's numbers of sales will be just as high. I remember reading in an article that smash was on the list for top wii sales and theres still 3 months or whatever till its release. I am sure it will be a tight race in NA. I am sure they will advertise more closer to the release date. (they should make a commercial like the original smash commercial :) ). i believe though that out of the US, smash might have them beat. I read a lot about Xbox not doing as well in other countries.

will388

Smash Cadet
Fanboy Ahoy!

Cheers,

2nd
um.. like i said earlier.. halo has minor differences, which as i said.. for a pc fps, those "huge changes" that were done going from halo1 to halo2, instead of costing u 50 dollars to buy, on a game for the pc u just download the patch, FREE.. that wasnt a huge change to the game at all. i know ull say "this is a console fps not pc fps ****** lololol" my response? that wasnt the point, the point was that the changes were minor, and that supports it

halo is overrated in the sense that it has nothing that makes it SO MUCH BETTER than all these other games. some people dont even know that unreal championship is on the xbox, because all u see when u see xbox is halo, meanwhile halo stole its entire gameplay system from unreal tournament, tweaked the guns, and tweaked the vehicles.. its all the same thing, the only difference is halo is easier with slower gameplay.

accept ir or not, it being an easy game means its easy to have fun with it, so while the game overall is still a joke to me, even little kids can enjoy it, thats why halo sells the way it does.. even the story in halo isnt original, halo as a whole has stolen everything, its kinda funny

but, make no mistake.. itll probably sell more than super smash (just because its sells more, doesnt mean its a better game, take that how u want and if u want me to explain that to u then i will, because its really easy)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I hate to say but Halo will...(ugh...Now I feel so dirty)....and I despise those who say that SSB is for Kiddies.....what so Kiddy about Pikachu bouncing off the screen after having Bowser Sit on his head with his 3323 lb @$$??? absolutelty nothing....they just say it sux because we pwn there @$$es XDDDD

Blazer

Smash Ace
Funny arguement this is actually. A friend and I had this debate the other day and I won by saying that by the end of the year Wii cwas supposed to outsell 360. I didn't know it had outsold it already. I called just now to rub it in his face and he's actually trying to get a wii instead of a 360 elite. What's this mean? He'll be getting both.

Even 360 fanboys are succumbing to Wii and Brawl. Brawl will outsell I guarantee it now.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Funny arguement this is actually. A friend and I had this debate the other day and I won by saying that by the end of the year Wii cwas supposed to outsell 360. I didn't know it had outsold it already. I called just now to rub it in his face and he's actually trying to get a wii instead of a 360 elite. What's this mean? He'll be getting both.

Even 360 fanboys are succumbing to Wii and Brawl. Brawl will outsell I guarantee it now.
thats good then. (No I dont mean rubbing it in) that he's getting a wii....now he can join us.......ok WAAAAY Too creepy there...XDDD

Blazer

Smash Ace
Moreover the good thing is that it shows that even the msot hardcore fans of 360 are changing to Wii. Trust me, if yesterday you had told me he was getting a Wii my exact words would have been :"No, Wii's graphics aren't good enough for him." or "No he's getting the elite because he thinks it makes him special and popular." But if one 360 fanboy sees it, they all will eventually.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Fanboy? I know a good game when I see one. And Halo is not how a goof FPS works.
You ignore how Halo 1 and 2 were outstanding critical successes. You may not like the game, but clearly a lot of inteligent people do find the games to be outstanding. Halo 1 and 2 are both in the top 25 on GameRankings, at 9 and 22 respectively. They have their flaws like all games do, and no game will please everybody, but the games were very well-recieved critically, so there must be something genuinely good about them to warrant such high scores.

halo is gonna sell more but i wuld buy brawl first

wuldnt any1 on this site buy brawl 1st
Since Halo 3 is coming out first, I'd have to say I'm buying that first. :)

um.. like i said earlier.. halo has minor differences, which as i said.. for a pc fps, those "huge changes" that were done going from halo1 to halo2, instead of costing u 50 dollars to buy, on a game for the pc u just download the patch, FREE.. that wasnt a huge change to the game at all. i know ull say "this is a console fps not pc fps ****** lololol" my response? that wasnt the point, the point was that the changes were minor, and that supports it
Are you trying to say that the changes from Halo 1 to Halo 2 were trivial? That is complete and utter BS.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
I'm going to be the Renegade here and say Brawl. And my opinion is going to be based on the growing Wii sells. The Wii is making a killing in markets every where and ****** PS3 and Xbox360 sells. Wii buyers are going to want a deep game and the games popularity will shift them to brawl. Also Snake fanboys might be drawn to Brawl. Halo will in no doubt in my mind be bought by all Xbox 360 owners. However from what i've seen Brawl has been in more popular disscussion that even Halo fans got in the midst of. Kiddie it may have been seen as in The 64 days but that imagine was changed in melee and the darker elements in Brawl will for sho bring an older adience to a greater scale. Which ultmately is Brawl's strong point, it has a much more distributed fanbase than Halo ever will. Even If Halo 3 gets better sales at first, I have no doubt that Brawl's overall sales will crush Halo.

And lets remember the one thing that determines whether Smash is better or not,.....Online. It's why Melee lost back then and why Brawl will succeed this time around.

Don't criticize me for my viewpoint, I'm not going with the crowd on this one. someone has to stand for brawl.
i'll stand with you on that one. and personally, if it does outsell halo 3, that's going to be such a big marketing boost for nintendo, 'cause i've got friends that have never even played halo, and still they know what it is. people who have never played a video game know what it is usually, it's so popular.

will388

Smash Cadet
You ignore how Halo 1 and 2 were outstanding critical successes. You may not like the game, but clearly a lot of inteligent people do find the games to be outstanding. Halo 1 and 2 are both in the top 25 on GameRankings, at 9 and 22 respectively. They have their flaws like all games do, and no game will please everybody, but the games were very well-recieved critically, so there must be something genuinely good about them to warrant such high scores.

Since Halo 3 is coming out first, I'd have to say I'm buying that first. :)

Are you trying to say that the changes from Halo 1 to Halo 2 were trivial? That is complete and utter BS.
to put it simply? i guess so.. and lol, because ive argued this so many times ive gotten tired of the idea, so i just googled "halo 2 changes were minor" and got this

http://www.antiyawn.com/halo2.html

that supports my claim without me having to even type anything up...

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman

halo is overrated in the sense that it has nothing that makes it SO MUCH BETTER than all these other games. some people dont even know that unreal championship is on the xbox, because all u see when u see xbox is halo, meanwhile halo stole its entire gameplay system from unreal tournament, tweaked the guns, and tweaked the vehicles.. its all the same thing, the only difference is halo is easier with slower gameplay.

accept ir or not, it being an easy game means its easy to have fun with it, so while the game overall is still a joke to me, even little kids can enjoy it, thats why halo sells the way it does.. even the story in halo isnt original, halo as a whole has stolen everything, its kinda funny

but, make no mistake.. itll probably sell more than super smash (just because its sells more, doesnt mean its a better game, take that how u want and if u want me to explain that to u then i will, because its really easy)
QFT. This peson has just stated why I hate halo so much.

however, due to the mindless zombies that Microsoft seems to spawn, halo 3 will most likely outsell SSBB (at least in the initial sales). Which makes me sad cause I hate halo 3 in comparison to all the other good FPSs (both console and PC), but it's the fact.

That is, of course, until UT3 comes out...heh..heh..heh... :flame: :rocket:

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Halo 2 is just an average shooter that's overrated. I think Halo 3 will actually be a good game, but not the best game ever.

SiD

Smash Master
You act like Halo is so crappy, then explain to me why majorit of shooters since then have copied something from Halo.

Then you have UT, which first of all is horrible on consoles because it's too fast for control sticks, but second is as mindless as it comes. It has no strategy, nothing original about it's gameplay, it doesn't even compare to Halo

I have a strong feeling that most of you just hate Halo because so many people love it. You hate it not because it's bad, but because you think it's "overrated'. Is is overated? probably, but so is Smash and UT and every other good game there is. It is still a great, super fun, yet strategic and competitive game. If you truly think it's a bad game, if you truly think Halo 2 is the same as Halo 1, then your opinion is irrelevant because you're just plain wrong.

There's a difference between you not liking something, and something being bad. You may not like Halo, but it's a pretty good game on it's worst day.

will388

Smash Cadet
what stole from halo lol? what unique feature does it have to begin with that people would need to steal

unreal tournament has no strategy? u never played it on a competitive level then.. unreal tournament is completely original, like i said earlier, halo is just a knock off of unreal tournament, u need to realize that..

smash is no where near overrated because its hype is no where near what halo has, in fact super smash doesnt even have major hype to begin with(maybe brawl is starting to get hype, but smash never really had hype on that sort of level like halo or even half life 2)

btw did u read my posts above? because i touched on all that already, no i dont think halo1 and 2 are the same, they are just marginally different, no i dont think halo is a bad game, i just think its overrated and easy

and no "every good game is overrated" is not true at all(was that serious)
as i already said, theres nothing we can do about it, although halo is nothing special, its going to sell anyway thanks to the marketing it receives, lets get over it and move on

SiD

Smash Master
Okay, let me elaborate.

Halo is nothing at all a rip off of UT. It plays nothing like UT, it doesn't have any similar weapons that weren't already staples of FPS games. UT is a great PC shooter, but it plays completely differently than Halo. Get them both for Console, you'll see.

Second, your right I haven't played UT on a competitive level. But I have to assume the same to you about Halo from the things you've said. You're absolutely right, Halo is seemingly easy, it is very noob friendly. But it is just as hard to get to the top level of play as it is on other games, the differences are just less noticable.

Halo has so much strategy involved for the pro players, it's just hard to catch on to at first glance.

Also, Halo 1 and Halo 2 are as different as 90% of sequels out there, including every UT game, again it's just less noticible. It certainly isn't different in a way that would be gotten by a patch at all, much less a free one.

Halo is very unique in many subtle ways. I'll start with the most obvious one, the shield. This totally changes the way the game plays, and it really stands out because of it. Many games since then have used a similar system, including Gears of War and Call of Duty 2.

Second, Halo only allows you to carry 2 weapons at a time. Back then, most if not all shooters let you carry unlimited or a huge amount. This adds very much to the strategy of the game, always having the right weapon for the situation is a harder thing to be good at doing when you can only carry two.

Third, it is definitely the first shooter to get the speed and feel of the game right for a console. This is a huge problem with games like UT on the Xbox, because it is way to fast to not have the precision of a mouse.

Also, I know many games have had weapons, grenades, and melee. But Halo is the first to mix them so well together that they are all essential to the gameplay, a near perfect balance.

Hype has nothing to do with it being overrated or not, hype is for games yet to be released. Smash is overrated because, like every popular game, it has TONS of fanboys that think it's a gift from GOd an d the greatest thing sinced slice bread. Being overrated should not ever be held against a game, nor should people like it less with that as a reason. Still, I see it all the time that people ***** about Halo just because it's overrated. I'm not accusing you of this, just saying that it's a poor argument and I wish you'd stop using it.

So to sum it up, you don't have to like Halo. It is still a good game, it wouldn't have millions of fans and top notch reviews otherwise. It is very noob friendly, the difference between a pro and a noob is smaller than other games, but it is not easy to be that good by any means. It is more tactical and strategic for competition purposes than 90% of good shooters out there. So, is it overrated by the annoying fanboys? Hell yes. But when people say it's a great game, are they wrong? Not in the slightest.

And I just read your last line, and it's very illogical. It wouldn't sell like crazy, be the best selling game, if it wasn't special. Sure, every crappy game has it's fans, but to have this many, it has to be good. That's just common sense.

Puffs

Smash Ace
You ignore how Halo 1 and 2 were outstanding critical successes. You may not like the game, but clearly a lot of inteligent people do find the games to be outstanding. Halo 1 and 2 are both in the top 25 on GameRankings, at 9 and 22 respectively. They have their flaws like all games do, and no game will please everybody, but the games were very well-recieved critically, so there must be something genuinely good about them to warrant such high scores..
Oh, of course! Game critics are always right! Silly me.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I personally think smash is underrated because most people don't know its competitive side.

Puffs

Smash Ace
When all of them agree on a game, then yeah, they're at least close to right.
They're paid to play to the market. They all have to give it a good review if it sells well, and it sells well if they all give it a good review. Every game critic I've seen is either extremely biased or has no idea what they're talking about.

Top Bottom