• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmm. Wikipedia says that Halo 2 and Melee both sold 7 million copies worldwide. I would've thought that Halo 2 sold better.

Keep in mind that those who follow Halo closely often have their own independent money source as the average age of players is no doubt higher than those of Smash Bros. Therefore, they are more likely to buy their game than Smash Bros. players will, at least in the beginning.

I think Halo 3 will outsell Brawl. How much hype have you seen around for Halo, and how much for Brawl? This is, of course, not including websites like Smash Boards.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion, Halo 3 will destroy Brawl inside worldwide sales. But it doesn't really matter since they're both gonna be awesome games!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I tried to get all the way through this topic. But the amount of responses saying that Halo will sell more because Nintendo has a "kiddie image" just annoyed me far to much.

Look at the times, this isn't N64 days, or GC days, this is Wii days, and you're all complete idiots. These are the days where EVERYONE plays Wii. And it's not kiddie. It's just for EVERYONE.

Also, Smash 64 didn't sell as well, not because it was seen as "kiddie" but because it was released very late in the 64's life span, unlike Melee and Brawl.

Most of you posting here are just annoyingly stupid.

Also, the ridiculous bitterness towards the Halo franchise is making most of you look pathetic. In the end, who cares what sells more? And what do you care who buys Halo? Is it a personal insult to you if a frat boy plays Halo? Or a 12 year old? They're playing the game cause they like it. If that hurts you deep in your pathetic, nerd-tastic heart then you need to rethink your life.

Halo 3 and Brawl are both going to sell a lot. Who really cares which one sells more? Or which one the "real gamers" will buy?

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Looking at history:
The original XBox sold 24 million Units worldwide, as of 10 May 2006.
Halo 2 had sold 8.27 Million Units
Using these statistics, the Halo 2 attach rate for XBox was 34.4583%.

The Gamecube sold 21.63 million Units as of June 2007.
Super Smash Bros Melee sold 6.58 million.
Using these statistics, the Super Smash Bros Melee attach rate for Gamecube was 30.4207%.

Now, relating these to the current generation:, According to Video Game Chartz
XBox360 has so far sold 10.82 million, which projects from the previous attach rate to 3.728 million Halo 3 sales.
Wii has sold 11.3 million, which projects from the previous attach rate to 3.438 million SSBB sales.

Obviously loads of variables to consider, e.g. future consoles bought purely for Halo 3/Brawl, time for rates to establish, Halo 2 that was played on 360/Melee that was played on Wii, etc. This was just to put things into context.

It's going to be a close one :p

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
There's a lot of hype for Halo 3. I believe it's even more than the hype for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Then again, you also have to consider that the Wii is a very popular gaming console worldwide and has been selling a lot lately. They're becoming rare to see these days for me. From the looks of it, it's going to be a tight race.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Leobenmc and I basically established that it will be a close race, yet people continue to claim Halo 3 will win without question. WTF?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I think people are missing the real discussion of this thread.

It's not about which will sell more, it's about which will sell more if you deduct the fanboys from it, only leaving in the real gamers, gamers who really care about gameplay, about the game.
Next, pink.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I think people are missing the real discussion of this thread.

It's not about which will sell more, it's about which will sell more if you deduct the fanboys from it, only leaving in the real gamers, gamers who really care about gameplay, about the game.
Next, pink.

Again.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Gary, if it's not about which will sell more, than this entire topic is a lot more pathetic. Because deducting the "fanboys" just makes the entire discussion (and thus yourself for endorsing it) pathetic and overly bitter towards the Halo franchise.

Conclusion: Shut up.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
I've read almost every single post on this forum (I know, pretty sad) and I have to say that this topic has an obvious answer, and that answer is that Halo 3 will destroy Brawl in sales. Halo 2 was the #1 selling game on the xbox and SSBM was the best seller on the gamecube. The thing is that Halo 2 far outsold SSBM. Halo 2 has more sales because it's the only thing that gave the xbox any real existance in the gaming community. The gamecube however had many great games that had great sales (Mario sunshine, Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, Resident evil 4 and many other games), Super smash just happen to BARELY come out on top.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Those numbers are completely fabricated based on a timer in conjunction with the current rate of sales. If you check a real news source, you'll see that Wii has clearly surpassed the XBox 360 in sales. The argument that Halo 2 destroyed Melee is a faulty one. There were nearly twice as many XBoxes out as there were Gamecubes (back in the day, there were approximately 900,000 XBoxes versus 400,000 Gamecubes). Now, the Wii has surpassed the 360 in sales (in about half of the 360's current lifespan). That obviously says something about potential Brawl sales.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I've read almost every single post on this forum (I know, pretty sad) and I have to say that this topic has an obvious answer, and that answer is that Halo 3 will destroy Brawl in sales. Halo 2 was the #1 selling game on the xbox and SSBM was the best seller on the gamecube. The thing is that Halo 2 far outsold SSBM. Halo 2 has more sales because it's the only thing that gave the xbox any real existance in the gaming community. The gamecube however had many great games that had great sales (Mario sunshine, Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, Resident evil 4 and many other games), Super smash just happen to BARELY come out on top.
What about KOTOR, Morrowind, and various other great XBox games that came out and are beloved by many? (Morrowind and KOTOR I prefer over anything that came out on the Gamecube, even Smash)

And saying something like "Well those games are on PC too" is irrelevant because Halo was also on PC.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Those numbers are completely fabricated based on a timer in conjunction with the current rate of sales. If you check a real news source, you'll see that Wii has clearly surpassed the XBox 360 in sales. The argument that Halo 2 destroyed Melee is a faulty one. There were nearly twice as many XBoxes out as there were Gamecubes (back in the day, there were approximately 900,000 XBoxes versus 400,000 Gamecubes). Now, the Wii has surpassed the 360 in sales (in about half of the 360's current lifespan). That obviously says something about potential Brawl sales.

Ah, ok. I didn't know how they got their numbers. Thanks for clearing that up.

And yeah, I was about to say the same thing about the Melee-vs-Halo argument. That has no bearing on this question if you don't account for the numbers of systems sold.

burrito

Smash Lord
I've read almost every single post on this forum (I know, pretty sad) and I have to say that this topic has an obvious answer, and that answer is that Halo 3 will destroy Brawl in sales. Halo 2 was the #1 selling game on the xbox and SSBM was the best seller on the gamecube. The thing is that Halo 2 far outsold SSBM.
Halo 2 didn't far outsell Melee. If you've read the thread, you should know that Halo 2 sold about 8 million copies and Melee sold about 6 million copies. I wouldn't consider that far outselling it. You can't say that Halo 3 will destroy Brawl in sales, it will at least be close. I though this has been established, already.

Caael

Smash Lord
I'm not sure.

The Halo fans will buy Halo, because...it's Halo, and the Smash fans will buy Smash, because it's Smash. But smash is more accessible to the general public, when Halo isnt. But some Halo fans will probably buy 2-3 copies, so it kinda evens out.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I posted this in a previous thread, but it's relevant here:
Halo's actually a pretty fun game. I like it (Halo 1 at least) as much as Melee. I can understand why some people could play Halo and not understand why people think it's so much fun. But I can also understand why people could see SSB as a silly game that can't be taken seriously. People on these boards know about all the nuances and details that enrich the gameplay make it so fun. The reason I like Halo and see it as more than just another FPS is that I know and understand the nuances and details of gameplay, and those make the gameplay deep and enjoyable.
There are, in fact, many "real" gamers who enjoy Halo, even among this thread. Not all Halo fans want the game just because Microsoft says they should. For every vile-mouthed Halo fanboy there is a SSB fanboy who can't understand that people have different tastes in games or a casual Wii gamer who is going to get Brawl only because they recognize that Mario guy on the cover. And both Halo games received outstanding critical reviews, so there has to be something to them that warrants their popularity.

Not everyone perceives a game the same way. Take Melee for example. Of course many here know about all the advanced moves and deep gameplay that the game has, but I'm certain that most people who have played the game think about it as just as a fun, silly fighting game. Does it really matter if they take the game seriously or not? If they don't think the game is all that great because it doesn't seem to have any depth or they don't care for it, does that really matter?

Halo (1 at least) has an imperfect, but still very good balance between the various weapons and vehicles in gameplay, a wonderful triple-balance between weapons, grenades, and melee attacks, and it has nice gameplay elements such as the health/shield system, intelligent AI, myriad approaches to combat, and a seamless integration of vehicles into gameplay. I think the game is wonderful and amazingly replayable. It doesn't bother me that many people can play the game and find it unremarkable. There's certainly strong reasoning for that opinion. But it does bother me when people who find it unremarkable or who never really played it can't accept that others may legitimately find the game more interesting than they do and then proceed to call people who do like the game mindless fanboys who only like the game because Microsoft is telling them it's the next big thing.

BUnit

Smash Apprentice
No one, since once you remove the fanboys, its going to be 0 vs 0.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The problem is, a big part of Halo gamers who are in fact real gamers were disappointed by Halo 2. Of course, they hope that Halo 3 would make it all up, so at least 75% of them is going to buy Halo 3.

The rest consists of doubters and people who were too disappointed and take more pleasure in Gears of War. Seriously, there are better 360 titles out there RIGHT NOW. The Wii does NOT have better Wii titles at the moment, and if there are, there would be too few.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, looking at my post I'll admit that it was a little over the top. I'll say that I'm more anti-Halo (and yes, I have played it, lol) than fanboy, though. I'll give Halo credit for three or four things I can think of off the top of my head, though if you wanna continue (this vein of) the discussion, link to some other topic that'd be more appropriate. Anywho, it gave melee and grenades their own button, was the first game I can easily think of to make use of a regening health bar (cool for single player as it expands design options, but I have issues with it in multiplayer), and was prolly the one that made vehicles a lot more common, though certainly not the first to use them.

Aside from the Needler and, to an extent, the plasma pistol (and the Brute Shot in Halo 2, I think it was called), I haven't seen a ton of creativity in the weapons. I could probably load up Perfect Dark (64) and do a Random Five and get more creativity. To me, the weapon variety is very important as otherwise it's just gonna be the same game that I've played before (especially with the market oversaturated with fps games these days) with your standard pistol, semi-auto, full-auto, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, and one or two other random ones.

In either case, we all know both series will sell millions upon millions. Halo definately does have the advantage in NA, but with the way things are looking it's not impossible for Brawl to sell more. Don't see what difference it'll make, though. Wii is kinda cementing itself as first, 360 has pretty much taken second, and the PS3 is all but resigned to third place unless it pulls off some major moves. So the amount that the individual games sell won't impact the system's positioning in the long run.

True, it doesn't have a huge variety of weapons. But that is truly one of it's strong points. Because you can only hold two at a time, it makes it a very tactical and strategic game, unlike others where you just run around and fire with the best weapon you have.

As for sales, you're right. And like I've said before, if Brawl does have online, it'll most likely sell more worldwide. I just don't think anything can outsell Halo 3 in NA, but it is possible.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Halo wins North America short-term. But by the end of the Wii's run, Brawl will have trounced Halo. Since Halo isn't very popular in Europe or Japan, Brawl will beat it in those places. Whether or not Brawl wins is up in the air, but my gut feeling is that its accessibility to non-gamers, families, and little kids combined with the meteoric Rise of the Wii are very persuasive.
I won't say I'm not biased; I'd like to see Brawl crush Halo in a glorious victory for awesomeness and actual fun gameplay. See, I played the original Halo once. I really didn't enjoy it. Whatever. I'm just annoyed people underrate the Impending Greatest Game of 2007. :(

BUnit

Smash Apprentice
True, it doesn't have a huge variety of weapons. But that is truly one of
As for sales, you're right. And like I've said before, if Brawl does have online, it'll most likely sell more worldwide. I just don't think anything can outsell Halo 3 in NA, but it is possible.
We'll see, but I bet Starcraft 2 will beat Halo 3 in NA though (even after excluding all the koreans).

GaryCXJk said:
The Wii does NOT have better Wii titles at the moment, and if there are, there would be too few.
There are a couple already out; both Metroid Prime: Corruption and Twilight Princess are really good games, and Super Mario Galaxy will be out by the time Brawl comes out.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Missed the "too few" part, haven't you?

And face it. Everybody has finished Twilight Princess or at least touched Twilight Princess ages ago. Metroi Prime 3: Corruption can only entertain us for so long, and Super Mario Galaxy has the same lifespan.

Microsoft's XBox360 has, as far as I heard, more top games at once. Halo 3 can easily be oversnowed by gamers who already have certain other types of games. At least the type of gamers who don't simply go for the sequel because they liked the previous games.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I really think comparing a game on two platforms (one being the computer) against a game on one console is fair. maybe this thread should be about SSBB against Halo on Xbox. I still think SSBB will win though.

smashmv

Smash Apprentice
this is a stupid question obviously halo they fricken televising the release

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
You can't buy a video game without having its console...therefore, Halo 3 will be destroyed by Brawl.

Let's face it, you're not gonna buy a 360 just for Halo and its online gameplay. That'd be too expensive for an FPS shooter. I mean, people WILL do that, but those will be the people with $$$$ flying out their bungholes.

Wii owners will rejoice at the sight of Brawl's release, simply because EVERYONE has played a Nintendo game at least once, and they'd like to see their favorite character in a unique fighting game.

...And the Wii is cheap as ****. People will be able to go out and buy the system + Brawl. I bought my Nintendo Wii, with my own money, and I'm 16. That's a testament to Nintendo's pricing.

So in conclusion, if Brawl + Wii is cheaper than 360 + Halo, then SSBB wins.

That isn't counting the people that already own the systems. In that respect, Brawl still wins. You know why? More Wiis have sold than 360's. Ding ding ding ding.

Seriously, how CAN Halo 3 win the war?

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, how CAN Halo 3 win the war?
Seriously, when was war declared?

We're talking about a PC and XBox First Person Shooter that is possibly the number one representation of American gaming right now. And a Wii fighting game that mainly serves as one huge reference to the history of the biggest video game company in the world?

When was there ever any competition or "war" between the two? When was there ever a need for Smash to challenge Halo? or for Halo to challenge Smash?

The answer: none. There is no consequence. There is no "war" and the analysis of the "war" only serves to spawn more idiotic fanboys.

Unless you're all business majors or marketing professionals in disguise, please stop trying to analyze this. Because to the general gaming public, this is an insignificant question.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
The Wii has sold almost as many copies as the 360 and PS3 combined...

Most (if not all lol) 360 owners will buy Halo 3...
And most Wii owners will buy Brawl...

Brawl will most definitely outsell Halo... but Halo will beat Brawl in rep from game magazines etc...

Halo will most likely win game of the year, as Brawl sulks in a dark corner...

Even if Brawl turns out to be the most amazing game of all time... it will still be overshadowed by the sheer popularity of Halo...

The Bino

Smash Lord
Halo this and Halo that, let me tell you something

Halo has nothing on Unreal Tournament III that's coming out, and its going to destroy Halo plain and simple.... this is also going to push more sales on PS3's as well

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Halo this and Halo that, let me tell you something

Halo has nothing on Unreal Tournament III that's coming out, and its going to destroy Halo plain and simple.... this is also going to push more sales on PS3's as well
Halo has 10x better storyline and I like the art design a lot better (Than Unreal series mind you all)

Top Bottom