• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Well that's the best explanation of what I've been trying to say ever. GG.

The weird thing about Halo 1 is that the weapons were overpowerd, but they all were, so it was a wierd kind of balance. They did mess this up in Halo 2 a bit, and the random grenade/melee deaths are annoying as well. This is why I have high hopes for Halo 3, because they should have ha enough experience to do it near perfect this time around.
Ya know... those two comments sums it up far better than anything else I've read. In slightly different words...

The Halo series is to FPSs like Tales of Symphonia is to RPGs - not much is new, but it's all implemented very well (which is why I called it -ultimate generic fps- earlier; notice I at least said ultimate :p). The second bit of enlightenment is that Halo 2 suffers from "the middle game out of a trilogy is always the worst one" syndrome, just like practically every other video game series out there. No wonder I've had a bad taste from playing it in recent years - my friends just play Halo 2 nowadays. I didn't exactly love the first Halo, but it didn't seem as bad as it does now. Should've put it together, as far as it being the middle game and all.

The weapon selection has still been annoying, but from what I read in the actual Halo 3 topic in the Light House before smashboards crashed the other day, it looks like they're putting a couple of interesting weapons/items into Halo 3 (mancannon and the gravity thing are the two I can remember - the force shield bubble and spiky grenade I've already seen in Resistance). Guess I'll actually bother picking up a controller at a friend's house after they buy it. Give the series another shot.

Doubt I'll buy it, as I already tried to buy a 360 right after the price drop and I had four defective bundles (2 systems, 2 controllers) in 1 week, which is why I own a PS3.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Good lord, again? I've given up trying to figure out what will outsell the other. Halo 3 and SSBB are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES with two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FANBASES.

Yes, there is overlap and there are plenty of people who play both Smash and Halo, but I'm guessing that a majority of people buying these games will buy one or the other.

If you just HAVE to have a guess, then I'll go with a popular opinion. Halo will win in the US, Smash will win worldwide.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
Halo is just another online FPS, yawn.... SSBB on the other hand!!! (i should'nt have to explain this!)

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
If Sonic appears in Brawl and online is completely confirmed then Brawl will probably outsell Halo.

...But Halo will still do a lot better in North America

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Like the title says, which do you think will sell better.

But here's the twist:

Which do you think will be sold to more real gamers and not just the Halo fanboys who don't play any other videogame than Halo?
Tough call. Since Halo comes out 12 days from now, Halo for a while. Brawl will have a lot of catching up to do when it hits it's December release.

You can't classify a "real gamer". A "real gamer" plays all sorts of games. He doesn't limit himself to just one.

Myself? I play Halo, and kick *** at smash bros. Which will I like more?

I dunno. Halo 3 is in 12 days. Brawl is in December. We'll have to see.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
But what if..... ...... ..... Master Chief made it into Brawl?! Lol. *shot*

I'm kidding, that would never happen. I think that Halo3 will sell more when it is released, however, Brawl will most likely sell more over time.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Halo will win America but even if Brawl did win noone would respect it cause as long as you can play as a puff ball with a red ribbom in his/her/its hair instead of a gun wielding mega cyborg, it'll be a "kid game"
No offense to Jiggy lovers but man it doesnt make Smash look good.
Actually, it does. The exact second Smash sheds its "soft" look and tries to go for more realistic fighting, is the moment I drop the franchise. It's a big part of its charm

Anyway, as to the question... I think it will actually be pretty close. Halo has a lot of hype, and will stert like a boom, but Brawl is going to have steady sells for all of the Wii's lifetime. In the end, I think Brawl will be brutally beat at first, and later surpass Halo 3. In this, the genres play to Brawl's advantage: Halo is another shooter, and a new Gears of War might very well dethrone it if correctly done, but Smash Bros is a genre upon itself and therefore has really no competition.

volbound1700

Smash Master
If Nintendo does well enough with third-party like adding Sonic and Megaman they will pull in new fans and could challenge Halo...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Dude, first off, don't you think some people ONLY play smash? Good, good, now with that out of the way, Halo wins.

Nintendo is too ******** to get an audience that wants to play REAL games. Cooking mama? Wdf.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I say Smash, because Halo sells like **** in Japan while smash sells amazing everywhere. Also, the Wii is so rediculously popular now that Smash will probably sell ten times what it did on Gamecube.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
SSBB will sell better because it has a much larger fanbase. Kids, adults, smashers, casual gamers, and everyone who bought a Wii will probably invest in Brawl. Halo 3 will be bought by closet*** fanboys naturally, but I think Wii Owners/Smashers outweigh them. Halo 3 will also be bought by a lot of X360 owners but I do believe the Wii has outsold the X360 already...

Final verdict: SSBB wins.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Also, you can play as a gun wielding cyborg in Smash. You can also play as a covert ops agent, a plumber, an electric rat, a swordsman, a wizard, a futuristic speed racer, a pink ball that can consume anything, an angel, a space pilot, a giant gorilla, a spike-shelled turtle, etc...Need I go on?

O WAIT A MINUTE HALO HAS GRENADES ANNNDD SPARTAN LAZERZ LOL fail.

Alot of Fanboy bias in here.

Seriously, to even think that Brawl will outsell Halo is stupidity in itself. The game is oging to be released an a couple of weeks. And it has also gone Gold before the games release. As for SSBB, which you can still reserve at a local Gamestop. Sure, the Japanese audience isn't going to take interest into Halo, but the american audience alone will outsell both America and Japan.

I don't own a 360, And I love Nintendo more than any company (Not a complete fanboy though), but I know for a fact that Halo will outsell Brawl without a doubt. And personally, I like Halo, and so does everyone else.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice

Seriously, to even think that Brawl will outsell Halo is stupidity in itself. The game is oging to be released an a couple of weeks. And it has also gone Gold before the games release. As for SSBB, which you can still reserve at a local Gamestop. Sure, the Japanese audience isn't going to take interest into Halo, but the american audience alone will outsell both America and Japan.

I don't own a 360, And I love Nintendo more than any company (Not a complete fanboy though), but I know for a fact that Halo will outsell Brawl without a doubt. And personally, I like Halo, and so does everyone else.
You are an idiot. Just because you like Halo means that everyone does? ****ing moron. I dont like Halo.

Lets type that how you typed that.

Personally, I dont like Halo, and neither does anyone else.

SiD

Smash Master
EPF, while I'm not trying to dispute your point, Halo going gold simply means it's finished and ready for mass production.

And Neokun, all the posts I've seen from you so far have been utterly jacksas like. Calling someone a moron because they say something untrue is not cool, and will serve to lose you all respect from everyone else.

The Insane Link

Smash Rookie
Probably Halo, but I think it's going to be closer than a lot of people here seem to think. You have to consider that when considering how much a game will sell, you have to consider how much it will sell WORLDWIDE. For example, it just so happens that first person shooters are very unpopular in Japan.

Plus, one must consider the increasing popularity of the Wii as a system. In fact Brawl could quite possibly outsell Halo 3 considering this factor. Super Smash Bros. Melee sold approximately 6 million copies and Halo 2 sold approximately 8 million copies. Halo 3 pretty much shares the same amount of hype as Halo 2 did, but I think there is more hype for Brawl than there was for Melee. So, this factor could quite possibly push Brawl over Halo.
I concur.
For instance, how many 360's are running around in Japan?
That's right. While halo 3 might boost the 360's sales, the wii will get what most people who haven't gotten it are waiting for: A good game that isn't zelda (Not entirely my opinion, and I do have a wii). That is, if people can find a wii or copy of SSBB.
I believe brawl could outsell halo 3 for those reasons.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
I'd say let's compare sales figures, but I can't even find the numbers for Smash...

...while Halo 2 sold about 10 million copies...considering the GCN install base is about 21 million, we can assume not everyone bought Melee and that it was probably half of Halo 2 sales.

Wii currently has 10 million units sold. 360 has about 8.5. Considering the majority of Wii owners probably won't buy Smash unless Nintendo tries to actually advertise it to them, and that most 360 owners will buy Halo- the case is actually up in arms. Wii might have more units sold, but depending on Nintendo's advertising strategy with Brawl and the casual market they potentially COULD sell more but as it looks now Halo will probably sell more units.

Considering the lengths Microsoft is going to push this game to everyone, and the fact Nintendo rarely advertises its games very well that aren't meant for a casual audience and you'll know what I mean. If Nintendo does what Microsoft did for Halo though- makes a drink specifically for it, in November has everyone taking preorders on the game, and pays Gamestop to put up boxarts and posters everywhere in their stores...maybe, just maybe, they could sell more.

I will say this though: Nintendo will make more money with Brawl sales than MS will with Halo 3 sales. Why? Halo 3's marketing has to be costing them a fortune.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I will say this though: Nintendo will make more money with Brawl sales than MS will with Halo 3 sales. Why? Halo 3's marketing has to be costing them a fortune.
Indeed, Microsoft is going all-out with the marketing, to an unprecedented level. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 3 pre-order sales alone covered the cost of all the marketing. :chuckle:

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

I think what he's saying, in regards to, "And so does everyone else", is a lot of 'mainstream' gamers: A lot of North American gamers enjoy Halo. I'm not saying everyone, but I'm saying there's a lot. If I read this correctly, I think that's what he means.

My two cents on it, are that yes; Halo is extremely popular in North America, and certainly other countries for that matter (played someone from Britian the other night). Japan may not enjoy Halo, but I think (I'd like to think) that there are some fans in Japan who own a 360, looking forward to Halo. However, the biggest area of concern for Microsoft is selling their game to their 'home' market. They wanna make sure their flagship title does well in the states, as that's where they're gonna make money. In the end, I don't think Microsoft will care if Japan/other countries will be interested or not.

Halo will most likely out sell Brawl, on the basis that Halo is getting a 3 and a half(ish) month start. By the time Brawl comes out, I'd predict there will have been at least 1 mil. plus sold. Not to mention, when Brawl comes out, it's in the middle of the holiday selling season; for Nintendo's sake, I hope they make a LOT of copies for Brawl. Selling out of your product is a double-edged sword. It means your product is good, but selling out with nothing left to stock with in the holiday season is bad for business. It's the same problem Nintendo had with the Wii during the holidays (working last year as a manager at Gamestop was an effing nightmare). There was more demand then there was supply. I just hope Nintendo is prepared this time around. Judging from how Microsoft handled last years holidays, they kept 360's in stock, and kept shipping more every couple of days. The only way Nintendo will out sell Halo is if there is enough demand for the product, and if Nintendo has enough supply for the product. Microsoft will certainly have both of those bases covered.

Withouthatred

Smash Cadet
Brawl, halo 2 didn't outsell melee by that large of a percentage, and that was with m$ having a larger bas of buyers, this time Nintendo is going to have a much larger base buying this game.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Brawl, halo 2 didn't outsell melee by that large of a percentage, and that was with m$ having a larger bas of buyers, this time Nintendo is going to have a much larger base buying this game.
That's true; but keep in mind, Halo 2 came out AFTER Melee. Melee had already been around for at least 2-3 years; In fact, Melee came out a little after the launch of the Cube and X-box, with Halo leading the pack for the X-box. I don't know the exact numbers for how many units sold between Melee and Halo (1). But Halo 2 compared to Melee isn't a fair judgement.

burrito

Smash Lord
That's true; but keep in mind, Halo 2 came out AFTER Melee. Melee had already been around for at least 2-3 years; In fact, Melee came out a little after the launch of the Cube and X-box, with Halo leading the pack for the X-box. I don't know the exact numbers for how many units sold between Melee and Halo (1). But Halo 2 compared to Melee isn't a fair judgement.
The original Halo sold approximately 5 million copies, while Melee sold approximately 6 million.

Shine-Fu

Smash Cadet
for future reference:

'GONE GOLD' MEANS SENT TO PRODUCTION

it has NOTHING to do with game sales. Halo went gold, that means it was sent from bungie to those fine folks who produce the game disks themselves.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Well, that makes two now. ;)

I'm gonna see if there's any information regarding how many copies of Brawl have been pre-ordered.
well if it helps I kno one that has been preordered from one of my freinds on narutofan.com...not saying who it is nor am i advertising the site..... oh pl don't let me be in truble......:laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Some of you guys seem to forget that not everyone who has a Wii is a gamer. Even old people play Wii now so the odds are a lot of non-gamers have Wiis and just want to play stuff like Super monkey ball or wii sports.

Most of 360's sales are from normal gamers, they will want more action and shoot 'em ups than most of Nintendo's audience.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 will sell better in America, Smash Bros. Brawl will sell better in Japan. Case closed.

Top Bottom