• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Matter of taste, I guess, since I'm the excat opposite: I tried Halo for a bit, and soon I was back at PD :laugh:.
Halo seems like they put a lot more thought in the story and lore...and that's what matters to me...of course gameplay is important...

interfear1

Smash Cadet
I will let you know when both game come out, but I think both will probably have the same results.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
PD was good for it's time but now I can't even look at the game. PDZ was a let down, I heard.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
I say brawl
most people are getting halo 3 to Finish the fight. And us Smash fans are here for the whole game

me and my friend had a beef about this i said the only thing different about halo 3 is different single player.
then he says nope new maps guns and vehicles(we dont care much asbout graphics)
I said its still the same.

then he said whats so great about smash bros. I said New characters, attacks, stages and Online(hopefully) is what we know right now.

then we stalped talking about it for some apparent reason.

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
I'm going with Brawl. Does anyone else realize what an obscene amount of moths melee was on the the highest selling charts? I'm sure brawl will even outsell (over time) melee exponentially.

I'm all for brawl.

Lith17

Smash Rookie
No doubt the better game is ssbb, but Halo is mainstream big.

Melee's biggest drawback wasn't gameplay at all, it was connecting to other players. Hopefully with new developments in its introduced wireless gameplay, that will no longer be its drawback.

I mean, the reason why Halo was so big was because you had a choice (if you had the money at least) to either play by yourself or go online. Most people who played melee were only introduced to the game by friends who played melee. Now, it's a whole new ball park if wireless can be achieved.

Also, you have to think about the installed base. The 8.9 million xbox sold will probably generate about half or more of that number. But, you have the wii with 9.0+ the people holding out till brawl arrives. You're avid gamer most likely has the wii already and they've been waiting for a Super Grade-A like brawl.

All I'm saying is, look out Halo, Mario and the gang are no push overs.

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
I work at a GameStop, and knowing what I know through that, Halo 3 will win in saleshands down.

But, you'd have to be blind with devotion to guess differently.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Halo 3 will win because it will have a extremely better online system that doesnt require you to search the internet for stupid number codes to put in in order to play against someone and be able to select settings you want.

Oh, and it has voice chat.

SiD

Smash Master
Halo 3 will win because it will have a extremely better online system that doesnt require you to search the internet for stupid number codes to put in in order to play against someone and be able to select settings you want.

Oh, and it has voice chat.
Yeah. What the **** was Nintendo thinking? But it's better than nothing. *looks at gamecube*

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Better than nothing is something we should stop thinking and start saying something more along the lines of "Wisen up or we're out." =| Nintendo has great games, but when it comes to true online multiplayer they fail with a huge, and I mean HUGE epic fail.

SiD

Smash Master
They really do, but it's too late for the Wii. We can protest it be better for they're next system, but for now, we are forced to settle.

that is tru....all i kno is on Dec 3,4,or 5...Im driving to the mall where I reserved it like a cranky old lady with a hemmoroid...in other words..

*Honks Horn 45 times while going 125 mi/h* "GET THE **** OUT MY WAY @$$HOLES!!!!"

that would so be me.....:laugh::laugh:

Hah, i'm gonna cut in line and run through people for the hell of it when Brawl is released.

I might even fight a ***** or two.

:p

Then, after my uneccesarily bloody trip, I get some cotton balls, and play Brawl while my sprang wrist is chilled in ice.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I'll take the word of everyone here for it. I mean, here in Spain you dont really hear much about it except a few "Halo 3 is going to be awesome"'s. No, the X360 really isn't a bestseller around here, how did you guess? :laugh:. But everyone in the forums talks so much about Halo I have to think it is a really big game on that side of the pond.

Anyway, my point is, yeah, for most of this board, being North American, Halo seems to have a brutal advantage, but from other points in the globe things look much more equaled, and even slightly favorable to Brawl. We'll not even talk Asia, because that's gonna be a massacre, but Europe is not really that much hyped for Halo. It will sell a lot, of course, being a good game and all, but there will not be thousands upon thousands of preorders and people camping on the door (which, now that I remember, there were for the Wii - I had to search for a whole month in the shops in three whole cities to get the **** thing). Though I'll admit Euros aren't that much hyped for Brawl either, but that might be because we don't even got a date yet *grumblegrumble*.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Ahh, that's the big question!

I've been hoping for online play, so that Smash Bros. can fully complete with Halo. Now that it does, I'm going to say SSBB will kick Halo 3's @$$!

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
I think they will sell out the same but, when it comes to world wide brawl is your winner.

Alias

Smash Apprentice
wifi discussion shoul have been saved for the week Halo is released

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 will outsell, not only in numerical copies, but also financially. The options to buy the Reg, Special Edition and Legendary edition will significantly boost profits.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
halo 3=more sales US
SSBB=more sales Worldwide.

The Xbox 360 is only really popular in the US, but is sold Worldwide. Halo3 has little to no hype in Japan. Brain Age 2 gets more hype in japan. As far as US sales, idk. what were the sales for halo, halo 2 and super smash bros melee? lets look.

reference: wikipedia.org

halo 2: 9.2 million in sales
halo: 5 million in sales
SSBM: 6 million in sales

based on records. Halo 3 will sell better.

I am switzerland on the games. One is not better than the other. They are different.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Same here pwn. But the biggest difference now is that Nintendo is less hardcore. They could have scared off a good percentage of their old hardcore gamers when they chose motion sensing. Wii isn't big here at all, as a matter of fact, people will probably laugh at your Wii as if it were an Atari 2600.

On a separate note, it kinda annoys me when people say "All halo has is new guns and new vehicles". I can easily say 'Brawl is the same as melee, only difference is new characters, new stages, new moves and new items".

Why people like to swim in so much ignorance is beyond me.

will388

Smash Cadet
do people not read or what? friend codes are strictly for ur friends list.. u can play online without putting in a single code ever

and again, halo is guaranteed to sell more in NA but brawl will sell more worldwide

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
Um since I doubt we'll see sodas and Nascar racers with SSBB face on it Im gonna have to say halo.... Microsoft just put WAY too much money into the advertisement to not get a payoff

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
Halo 3 will sell more at first but people that don't have a 360 and like Halo might not get it because or the red ring or death.
price=ssbb 120 $ is a rip-off
plot=WE alredy know Mster chief will save earth, we dont know what's coming in ssbb SSBB
multiplayer=tie
weapons=halo 3
popularity=tie
Winner=SSBB

SiD

Smash Master
lol your logic seems faulty Snake King.

Halo 3 isn't 120 dollars, that only the legendary edition. And Halo is more popular than Smash bros, that is a fact.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Halo 3 will sell more at first but people that don't have a 360 and like Halo might not get it because or the red ring or death.
price=ssbb 120 $ is a rip-off
plot=WE alredy know Mster chief will save earth, we dont know what's coming in ssbb
multiplayer=tie
weapons=halo 3
popularity=tie
Winner=SSBB
RROD? The 360 has a 3 year warranty, so it's not something to worry about.

Price? The regular edition is $60 like nearly all 360 and PS3 games. Besides, Halo 3 comes with special editions, which SSBB doesn't have, so shouldn't the point go to Halo 3? :p

Plot? Oh does he? And if he does, how does he do it? (I know the Halo 3 ending has been leaked, so please no one answer this. :( ) Any story is more than just its ending; the progression to that ending is vital too. Besides, can you really compare the story of SSBB to Halo 3? We don't really know anything about Brawl's (and it probably doesn't have much depth), but Halo has two games already and a series of novels leading to the epic conclusion; Bungie has already shown that they can tell a deep story. Besides, is the focus of SSB really on the story? I hardly think it matters what the story for Brawl is.

Multiplayer? Comes down to taste.

Weapons? I don't know how this is a valid point of argument since the gameplay in both games is drastically different.

Popularity? I'd say Halo 3 wins out easily. Nintendo is hardly promoting SSBB.

Winner? Can't we let them both win? Both will surely be great.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur

Melee's biggest drawback wasn't gameplay at all, it was connecting to other players. Hopefully with new developments in its introduced wireless gameplay, that will no longer be its drawback.

I mean, the reason why Halo was so big was because you had a choice (if you had the money at least) to either play by yourself or go online. Most people who played melee were only introduced to the game by friends who played melee. Now, it's a whole new ball park if wireless can be achieved.

Also, you have to think about the installed base. The 8.9 million xbox sold will probably generate about half or more of that number. But, you have the wii with 9.0+ the people holding out till brawl arrives. You're avid gamer most likely has the wii already and they've been waiting for a Super Grade-A like brawl.

All I'm saying is, look out Halo, Mario and the gang are no push overs.

Im one of those form the group that is and only waiting for brawll to come out to buy a WII with everything that is needed to play. Im very sure that a lot of people is doing that, but we also have to admit that the same can be applied for Halo.

The logic here says that Halo 3 will outsell Brawll, but we need also to take in consideration that consumers are not stupid. IMO games like Halo turns repetitive after a while,,,and the ones who reallly enjoy those games are the hardcore FPS gamers and fan from the series.

Smash can have a larger base taking in consideration that is much easier to play (not advanced of course) and a lot of people can have fun together in no time.

I think that in the end, both games will sell an obsenely good quantity of copies..and definitely both will be MAJOR sucesses from each company.

SiD

Smash Master
Well judging by the large amount of 13 year olds playing Halo 2 on Live, I think you're in the minority that think Halo turns repetitive.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Obviously, America will obviously be sold out to Halo 3, even though, from what I've heard, has lost some of it's fanbase thanks to little kids who play online - with Brawl down the road of no mics, We we only get the text spammers- which die quickly when they taunt. Plus I heard some Halo fans were plenty dis-satisfied with Halo 2, but I can't say they wont return for Halo 3.

But Overall, Brawl is popular, and will probably beat Halo 3 in the World-wide battle.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting how one has to weigh these two games against each other. The FACT IS: Halo 3 will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl at least for the first few months. The real race is when it comes down to the end. I mean, the Wii is outselling the 360 at an enormously increasing pace. Low price, intuitive game play, or whatever you want to use for reasons. It's really the matter if people will spend less money. The 360... is just too expensive for a lot of people. Though, from what I've gathered, Brawl will outsell Halo 3 in a lot of countries outside of the United States. If this is the case, it boils down to just how big that difference is.

I have a 360. Yes, I am getting Halo 3: the $70 edition because I feel like I should. No reason why I should turn up 1080 Progressive when I have the corresponding television in fifty inches. Yes, Xbox Live does kick serious ***. It just does.

However, after graphics and gameplay considered...I choose SSBM over Halo 2 any day. With friends anyway. My point is, there is a strong fanbase for Halo and for the Super Smash Bros. series. Halo has more fans. But do they all have 360's? [No they don't.] Only time will tell us if people choose wisely... [Not a biased opinion at all! ;) ]

Wi-fi was the turning point for me. As long as it doesn't suck locally, I'm cool with SSBB all the way. 8D

volbound1700

Smash Master
What this thread is underestimating about Wii is the other great games coming out...

Sonic and Mario at the Olympics
Super Mario Galaxy
and Metroid Prime 3
are all 3 going to draw new customers to get wiis.... then Smash Bros come.

I actually think Super Mario Galaxy has a great chance to sell out both Halo and SSBB if they can get to Super Mario 64 popularity (too bad Nintendo sucks at advertising... back in day they were good).

Top Bottom