• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Some of you guys seem to forget that not everyone who has a Wii is a gamer. Even old people play Wii now so the odds are a lot of non-gamers have Wiis and just want to play stuff like Super monkey ball or wii sports.

Most of 360's sales are from normal gamers, they will want more action and shoot 'em ups than most of Nintendo's audience.
Halo 3 will sell better in America, Smash Bros. Brawl will sell better in Japan. Case closed.
Quoted for truth. I completely forgot about the Wii not just being a 'gamer' system (I knew, just wasn't at the front of my mind at the moment).

Thunder: More or less what I was saying. ;)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It'll take at least a month for most people to get their hands on it so by January we might know.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
It'll take at least a month for most people to get their hands on it so by January we might know.
that is tru....all i kno is on Dec 3,4,or 5...Im driving to the mall where I reserved it like a cranky old lady with a hemmoroid...in other words..

*Honks Horn 45 times while going 125 mi/h* "GET THE **** OUT MY WAY @$$HOLES!!!!"

that would so be me.....:laugh::laugh:

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
^ ^ ^ I LoL'd. :laugh:

Cog made the best point; We're looking to see what will sell better overall, regardless of region. But we won't really know until after Dec. 3rd.

Though Halo 3 has a big headstart. :-\
hoorray for making ppl Laugh!! (^^)v yeah I see what u mean about the headstart...can't beleive they got Pepsi to sponor them.....maybe my dad can try to talk to the ppl at Pepsi (yes he works for Pepsi FREE SODA!!!) to go and sponor SSBB...or would that be against contract....

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
hoorray for making ppl Laugh!! (^^)v yeah I see what u mean about the headstart...can't beleive they got Pepsi to sponor them.....maybe my dad can try to talk to the ppl at Pepsi (yes he works for Pepsi FREE SODA!!!) to go and sponor SSBB...or would that be against contract....
The matter isn't in if Pepsi wants to sponsor (though I'm sure they can ask), it's if Nintendo would want to be sponsored (I think. Don't hold me to this).

I'm almost certain Microsoft asked Pepsi to make a Mountain Dew for part of their marketing. Mountain Dew <3 by video gamers, so make a Mountain Dew our fans will like.

Or something like that.

>_>

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
The matter isn't in if Pepsi wants to sponsor (though I'm sure they can ask), it's if Nintendo would want to be sponsored (I think. Don't hold me to this).

I'm almost certain Microsoft asked Pepsi to make a Mountain Dew for part of their marketing. Mountain Dew <3 by video gamers, so make a Mountain Dew our fans will like.

Or something like that.

>_>
that is tru.....I did kno that's Nintendo's decision...but yur right...I just hope they dont use Coke or something...XD (^^)v...well Mountain Dew's owned by pepsi so im sure they can make another one...if nintendo decides to use them as sponsor (^^)v

Arteen

Smash Lord
I million preorders is no small feat. I'd imagine Brawls preorders will be close to that range by the time we get to December 3rd.
I strongly doubt it. Microsoft wants everyone in America to hear about Halo 3 before the game's release. They've been advertising since last December. They even have special editions, Halo 3 Zunes and 360s, billions of cross-promotions (e.g. Halo 3Mountain Dew), and even had a public beta. Nintendo on the other hand has made very little mention of the game. They only had a 15-sec clip of the game at the last E3 and the daily updates, and the only people who would care about the updates are the hardcore fans of the previous game who will buy the game anyway.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Well, Halo 3 was the fastest preordered game...since? well, i believe at first Halo 3 will sell more.

but in the end, i have a feeling brawl will be so critically acclaimed, and eventually sell more copies than ever.

EPF, while I'm not trying to dispute your point, Halo going gold simply means it's finished and ready for mass production.

And Neokun, all the posts I've seen from you so far have been utterly jacksas like. Calling someone a moron because they say something untrue is not cool, and will serve to lose you all respect from everyone else.
Oh. Misconception on my part. But when I said everyone, I meant the Mainstream gamer.

I think what he's saying, in regards to, "And so does everyone else", is a lot of 'mainstream' gamers: A lot of North American gamers enjoy Halo. I'm not saying everyone, but I'm saying there's a lot. If I read this correctly, I think that's what he means.

My two cents on it, are that yes; Halo is extremely popular in North America, and certainly other countries for that matter (played someone from Britian the other night). Japan may not enjoy Halo, but I think (I'd like to think) that there are some fans in Japan who own a 360, looking forward to Halo. However, the biggest area of concern for Microsoft is selling their game to their 'home' market. They wanna make sure their flagship title does well in the states, as that's where they're gonna make money. In the end, I don't think Microsoft will care if Japan/other countries will be interested or not.

Halo will most likely out sell Brawl, on the basis that Halo is getting a 3 and a half(ish) month start. By the time Brawl comes out, I'd predict there will have been at least 1 mil. plus sold. Not to mention, when Brawl comes out, it's in the middle of the holiday selling season; for Nintendo's sake, I hope they make a LOT of copies for Brawl. Selling out of your product is a double-edged sword. It means your product is good, but selling out with nothing left to stock with in the holiday season is bad for business. It's the same problem Nintendo had with the Wii during the holidays (working last year as a manager at Gamestop was an effing nightmare). There was more demand then there was supply. I just hope Nintendo is prepared this time around. Judging from how Microsoft handled last years holidays, they kept 360's in stock, and kept shipping more every couple of days. The only way Nintendo will out sell Halo is if there is enough demand for the product, and if Nintendo has enough supply for the product. Microsoft will certainly have both of those bases covered.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Which will SELL better? Halo 3. Hands down. We're looking at THE most looked-forward to game in the HISTORY of video games. I'd say 95% of SmashBoards will even be getting Halo 3.

I work with video games every day so I'll simply share the numbers. My store has roughly over 200 preorders for Halo 3 compared to Brawl's 40. Now assume that by some fluke only 80% of people pick up their Halo 3 preorder the day it comes out (as it is with most games), that would leave 160 copies of Halo 3 sold on day one, not including the walk-ins looking to buy their own (assuming we had extras). Now assume that all 40 people pick up Brawl plus an extra 20 walk-ins. Still the numbers are pretty far off.

I can also tell you that my region (Ohio) is notorious for shooters (that's what sells here), so we'll cut those numbers in half. That would still leave those 60 copies of Brawl to the 80 copies of Halo 3. Halo 3 is going to sell more copies in 99% of the US. In Japan, I believe, Brawl will outsell Halo 3 just because Microsoft is all but non-existant in Japan and that's Nintendo's home-turf.

People also mention that Halo 3 has a 3.5 month headstart. I honestly believe that will have very little to do with the numbers. If these two games were to be released at the same time, their respective countries would buy out their respective game. Microsoft is to America as Nintendo is to Japan (or however you'd say that)

So my final conclusion on which game will sell more is:
Japan - Brawl
America - Halo 3

Cut me some slack as well, this may have already been posted, but I don't feel like digging through 20 pages of posts just to make sure it wasn't.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Which will SELL better? Halo 3. Hands down. We're looking at THE most looked-forward to game in the HISTORY of video games. I'd say 95% of SmashBoards will even be getting Halo 3.

I work with video games every day so I'll simply share the numbers. My store has roughly over 200 preorders for Halo 3 compared to Brawl's 40. Now assume that by some fluke only 80% of people pick up their Halo 3 preorder the day it comes out (as it is with most games), that would leave 160 copies of Halo 3 sold on day one, not including the walk-ins looking to buy their own (assuming we had extras). Now assume that all 40 people pick up Brawl plus an extra 20 walk-ins. Still the numbers are pretty far off.

I can also tell you that my region (Ohio) is notorious for shooters (that's what sells here), so we'll cut those numbers in half. That would still leave those 60 copies of Brawl to the 80 copies of Halo 3. Halo 3 is going to sell more copies in 99% of the US. In Japan, I believe, Brawl will outsell Halo 3 just because Microsoft is all but non-existant in Japan and that's Nintendo's home-turf.

People also mention that Halo 3 has a 3.5 month headstart. I honestly believe that will have very little to do with the numbers. If these two games were to be released at the same time, their respective countries would buy out their respective game. Microsoft is to America as Nintendo is to Japan (or however you'd say that)

So my final conclusion on which game will sell more is:
Japan - Brawl
America - Halo 3

Cut me some slack as well, this may have already been posted, but I don't feel like digging through 20 pages of posts just to make sure it wasn't.

Gamestop?

I also worked at gamestop (Senior Game Advisor/3rd key for you non-gamestop savvy folks). I'd say for Halo 3, your numbers are accurate regarding who won't be picking it up. But keep in mind one more thing regarding Smash;

Smash doesn't come out for another 2-3 months (closer to 2 now). Things can change as you get closer to release date. I'm sure your numbers for Halo 3 have gone up since we've gotten closer and closer to the 24/25th.

Just reread; you mentioned the time difference. I agree though, I think Halo will probably outsell Smash, but I'm not counting them out just yet.

Though thanks for the info regarding your numbers. :)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord

yeeeaaahh.....count me as the 5% who DONT Want the game......Its alright really....but it the sane thing in every halo game...go to a space colony in the shape of a ring, head shoot alieans, balh,blah blah......

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
yeeeaaahh.....count me as the 5% who DONT Want the game......Its alright really....but it the sane thing in every halo game...go to a space colony in the shape of a ring, head shoot alieans, balh,blah blah......
In Halo's defense, a lot of people get the game for the multiplayer. Halo 2 was one of the first online console shooters, and it's done a very good job of being the standard for multiplayer shooters, online and offline.

But if you don't have online, and aren't interested in the story, I can understand that.

My not quite roommate will be picking up the game, and we plan to get through co-op within the day. :lick:

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
In Halo's defense, a lot of people get the game for the multiplayer. Halo 2 was one of the first online console shooters, and it's done a very good job of being the standard for multiplayer shooters, online and offline.

But if you don't have online, and aren't interested in the story, I can understand that.

My not quite roommate will be picking up the game, and we plan to get through co-op within the day. :lick:
No I know it was that good of game really.... but it just seem so ....IDK...maybe a bit overated....yet here I am chanting about Brawl... XDDD

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
No I know it was that good of game really.... but it just seem so ....IDK...maybe a bit overated....yet here I am chanting about Brawl... XDDD
Halo is very ove , don't get me wrong. But it's a lot of fun, and one of the finest shooters out there. It however, is not the best shooter, and is often hailed as the best game ever. It certainly isn't that either.

It's still a very good game if you like that genre, and playstyle.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Halo is very ove , don't get me wrong. But it's a lot of fun, and one of the finest shooters out there. It however, is not the best shooter, and is often hailed as the best game ever. It certainly isn't that either.

It's still a very good game if you like that genre, and playstyle.
yeah thats tru ....ehh...as long as they have the needler...im fine

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Many people are mentioning how halo3 has more presales. But don't forget smash is being released 2 months after. i'm sure the presales will catch up. :) their both great games though and i plan on getting both so im happy either way.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I've taken the thought into account, but I still believe that (in my store anyway) Brawl will not receive anywhere near 200 preorders come release date.

Yes, Halo 2 was possibly the most over-hyped game of all time, but it was nowhere near a bad game. It basically did set the scales for what FPS's today have to live up to, just as Melee set the scales for what 4-player action games need to compete with.

I plan on getting both games, by the way.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lucky fellows -.-

I might not be able to get either of them but I want both of them, I believe Halo 3 will last longer and sell better than Brawl. Unless Brawl has decent online it's not going to be as long lasting, especially for people like me that have no one to play against and no tournaments to go to.

will388

Smash Cadet
omg this argument is still going?

ok..
halo will sell more than brawl in NA
brawl will sell more than halo worldwide
its a given

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
hmmm its true that halo has more presales but only because microsoft and bungie never have enough to start with. i think that brawl will outsell H3 but ti will be a close race

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
how about we wait for the next year and see ??
Universal answer. ^^

But time for my opinion.. By not thinking about it too much. I say Halo 3 will out sell Brawl, I am going to get Halo 3 and Brawl. Everyone I know is getting Halo 3, though I'm the only one that I know in real life that is going to get Brawl.

A large amount of 360 owners will buy Halo 3 since.. Halo 3 is a large reason why 360s are being bought.

While the Wii is being bought by curious or rich or young gamers they... Might not take a look at Brawl.

Right now the Wii is outselling the 360 but I am guessing a larger fraction of 360 owners will buy Halo than owners of Wiis will buy Brawl.

All in all, I think Halo 3 will out sell Brawl. But not as much as a lot of us may think.

-Onyx

SiD

Smash Master
Agreed, lots of people buy 360's because of Halo 3, and get other games later. For the Wii, majority of them buy it because it's neat, and get games later. I know I bought one on launch day, and played Wii sports more than Zelda for the first few weeks. Then I didn't get another game till the monstrosity called Sonic and the Secret Rings, and the next one I buy won't be till Brawl. Granted, I woulda bought MP3 if I had the money right now, but still. Wii is more of a novelty to majoity of people that buy it, while a higher percentage of gamers buy 360's.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
Since I didn't see this thread and I posted on the other thread I will post the same thing. I say it's a tie between the two. Halo is good because of the compelling story and Brawl is good because of the multiplayer mode which will be better with online play. I can't decide because I love both series and I intend to buy both.

SiD

Smash Master
It's easy to know who...

How many XboX 360 and Wii are out there?
'cause every single wii owner will buy Brawl, and every single XboX owner Halo.

So... do the maths.
Not only will not every 360 owner buy Halo, but especially that is not true for Brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I think Brawl will sell more world wide and Halo may win the US. Sure, there are people who will buy a 360 just for Halo. . . and there are people who will do the same with brawl.

And I think that Brawl's target is larger than that of Halo. Halo = FPS game for the "older" gamers (even if preteens play it) well Brawl = fighting game/ Party game for mostly all ages:ohwell:.
(Plus, 3rd party characters like Snake will bring in some of their fans as well. Just think about the amount of Sonic followers who are going to get brawl just to smash down with their fav character in one of the greatest 2D fighting games of it's time. The MGS fans will also come to brawl to get thier Snake fix before MGS4 comes out in 08 for the same reason. Just think about other famed 3rd parties that may be in and look at their fans devotion to them. )
(Oh, I wouldn't underextimate the "buying a Wii and brawl JUST for one character" facture when it comes to 3rd parties character's fans)

And plus, the large amount of Japanese gamers don't give 2 craps about 360 or FPS games well the Wii is kick la asz there and Brawl has world wide appeal.

I could understand thinking Halo will be selling more because Im in the US. I mean, they have the hype-metter going off the charts for that game and pimped it out with it's own "new" Mountain Dew (wth is that suppose to teast like? They never gave it a teast in the ads I'v seen. . . just "Halo 3 charged" or w/e). But really, you have to take the whole gaming world into account and not just the US because hype here=/=hype round the world.

Just a fast comment. . .

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yah, same here. Half-Life and Perfect Dark are pretty much everything I need for shooters... and if I needed to get one new shooter, I'd probably go for Bioshock, not Halo ;). But then, I am not one for Multiplayer shooters... for multis I have always preferred fighting games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yah, same here. Half-Life and Perfect Dark are pretty much everything I need for shooters... and if I needed to get one new shooter, I'd probably go for Bioshock, not Halo ;). But then, I am not one for Multiplayer shooters... for multis I have always preferred fighting games.
...I never got into the Half-Life series...Perfect Dark is ok, but no replacement for Halo

Top Bottom