• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I love comboing TL's bair, I think it's very appropriate for low % combos on a lot of characters, and its pretty save when spaced on shields and opponents on platforms.

Both bairs are amazing, though, I'd be okay with either....but I like that TL's is different to further differentiate him from Link.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Tell me if I have these MU ratios correct:

TL/Falco: 70:30 Falco​
TL/Fox: 70:30 Fox
TL/Sheik: 60:40 Sheik
TL/Jiggs: 65:35 or 60:40 TL
TL/Peach: 60:40 TL

Link/Falco: 60:40 or 55:45 Falco
Link/Fox: 60:40 Fox
Link/Sheik: Even
Link/Jiggs: Even
Link/Peach: 60:40 Peach or Even

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I definitely think TL does better vs Fox and Falco than Link does...
Idk, I think Link has an easier time keeping Falco out than TL does.
He's slower, but he has so much more range (aside from TL's fsmash).
Link's ftilt is almost like a Marth fsmash you don't have to tip.

I haven't had a chance to fight a good Fox yet in PM, so I can't be certain on that.
From the looks of things Link does MUCH better against Fox than he did in Melee.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
My experience vs Fox/Falco in PM has been pretty limited but I don't think it's as bad as 7:3, the match-ups feel perfectly manageable imo.

Wolf on the other hand I have a lot of experience playing against with TL and he feels a lot harder to deal with than Fox and Falco do. His lasers clashing wth bombs is problematic and his laser speed in conjunction with his cc game is difficult to get around.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The hardest thing about spacies is actually getting in on them, especially Falco.
TL's moveset is very oriented to comboing floaties. He can't uthrow chaingrab, and their falling speed means he can't effectively combo them until they're around 70 or 80% (his new usmash does help a little). You have the play the match-up VERY smart, and you can't afford to make any mistakes. When you have a spacie in a combo or off-stage, you MUST capitalize, since you don't know when its gonna next happen. In that aspect its very similar to Melee.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Any problems TL has getting in on spaces are amplified for Link. He just can't get close enough on his own terms because he is so slow, and he gets punished so hard. The fact that TL is faster than Link means he can get away and space them easier as well, and go in on his own terms, not to mention TL's superior dash dance to Link because of Link's awful dash speed.

TL can actually combo spacies pretty well, you just have to be really original at <70% with things like uthrow>grounded upb, or upthrow> tech chase. You can also space them with projectiles and run away until you get the opening you are looking for with projectiles, dd, and b-reverses.

I play with Hylian all the time, and he thinks spacies are hard for Link for these reasons and other. He also plays a solid Fox, so I have a bit of experience with that match-up as well.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I play with Hylian all the time, and he thinks spacies are hard for Link for these reasons and other. He also plays a solid Fox, so I have a bit of experience with that match-up as well.
I haven't fought a good Fox or Wolf yet, but for me personally, I find Falco easier with Link.
Maybe I will find Fox easier with TL, idk. At least he doesn't have Falco's lasers.

In any case, I do have a pocket Ike. Everyone knows Marth so I try to avoid playing him.

D

Deleted member

You throw out arrows and grab more than you should. You also full hop alot of your aerials and then don't L cancel. Try to run away and throw more bombs and boomerangs if you get the lead. Your entire wall of projectiles was also in place, so I'd suggest to try and run away from your opponent. Like Wavelanding alot of platforms, and short hopping the opposite way you're facing and throwing your projectile. (Also the format was 16:9, so are you playing on an hd tv? If so, try to get a crt)

Also, I see you are about 3 hours from me. I can't go out that far, but I bet wifi wouldn't be bad.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Where's all the discussions? Seriously this place is as dead as Link was that one time he forgot to catch a fairy in his bottle.

B.W.

Smash Champion
He's definitely one of the less popular characters, yeah.

He's so awesome though. Bombs are too fun, and I get great joy out of infuriating my opponents by running around and blowing them up all day.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Yeah, discussion has not been had of late. I do think it's better than it is in quite a few other subsections, though. >.>

I have some thoughts I want to post later, I've also recorded a few sets which I wish to upload soon.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'll have to polish my Tink back to stuff, I think what it is, honestly, is that the game is still early on and Tink isn't exactly a popular character.
For the most part I think people just don't like his recovery.
You have to learn to AGT, and a lot of people don't want to take the time to perfect it.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I AM curious about which moves lead up to grab well enough because a lot of Tink's moves get mad CC'd at lower percents and a good opening combo/string is important for setting the tone of a match.

I love his options out of his grab, but I tend to get grab happy trying to land one.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Maybe?

I dunno though AGT is really easy to do, honestly.
It's not really easy for everyone.
It took me hours in the lab before I was finally able to do it well enough for it to be useful in a real match.
I tried teaching it to one of my friends that only had a Melee background, he didn't get it at all.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Toon Link just gets overpowered by rushdown characters easily. That's my take on it at least. If I can go to the tourney after NorCal Regionals, then I'll have some footage. If not...well shoot.

B.W.

Smash Champion
That really seems to be my only issue with him so far. If a character can get in on him and stay in he can have some trouble.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Toon Link just gets overpowered by rushdown characters easily. That's my take on it at least. If I can go to the tourney after NorCal Regionals, then I'll have some footage. If not...well shoot.
I can definitely agree with that, its a large part of why he does so poorly against spacies.
I also fear how my Toon is gonna handle Marths if I can't establish my spacing, he'll get gobbled up by fairs.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Or start tilt Down-B'ing. :p

Tbh, I can't tilt down. I haven't practiced it. I use the same method as said above.

Though, I can tilt up pretty easily as it's necessary for Young Link's extended recovery in Melee.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Lol! I totally agree. :)
It's kinda like...we just know what the other person is thinking. We're also kind of like the same person, haha.

Basically the story goes...
Fall of 2009, I asked in the Arizona thread "Who plays smash?" etc. and was invited to a very small smashfest by Piman34 with Piman, Axe, one of Piman's dormmates, and myself. I didn't know Axe was good or anything, and frankly, I was not good enough to realize how much he was sandbagging at the time (though he did do a 6-stock comeback on us, lol). Needless to say, I got his cell phone number and invited him to a "welcome to college" party near my dorm about a week later. I thought he was this cool frat-like guy who was just gonna brush me off, but he went and we hung out a bit.

Then we decided to start smashing more often and it got to the point where we'd pretty much hang out every single day. Most of the time, we didn't even play serious Melee. We'd do Homerun Contest stuff and do all sorts of glitches (and discover some of our own) and play Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Whenever we'd play doubles, we tended to team together because I wasn't very good, so no one really questioned it (like they would now if we were to team in friendlies all the time). At the end of the semester, he couldn't go to University of Arizona anymore and had to move back to Phoenix. :(

But by then, the damage was done! We were already super good friends and knew each other's habits super well in-game.

I hosted my first tournament in January of 2010 and started my long string of hosting. We teamed at the first one and took first easily, though there wasn't really anyone too hard to beat there. We found we teamed super well and decided to give it a shot at another one with Forward and Tai teaming. I'm not sure if we won or lost, but I know it was close regardless. I pretty much would ask him if he was free to team from that point on, and actually, quite often, he wasn't because he'd promise other people that he'd team with them, like Tag$, Tai, V3ctorman, etc. Actually...the last time we teamed at a local, we only got 2nd to Taj and Wobbles. So dang on us. :(

But anyways...when Kings of Cali was announced, I asked Jeff pretty quick if he had promised anyone to team yet. He...uh...kind of did, but sort of blew him off, lol. We teamed and got 5th. This time around, we got 4th. So...hopefully...next time we team, we break that pattern and just go straight for 1st. :)

If he's got other people he promises to team with or has to team with or just straight up wants to team with...that's fine with me. He often does better without me. But I can't do as well without him. He carries me hard. I'm just the white mage. He's the one who Air Render's everyone to death. I just cast Protect and Shell and QuickReboot him if his hardware fails off edge. :p

But yeah. Jeff's my kokujin, and he's the best teammate anyone could ever have. <3

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Lol! I totally agree. :)
It's kinda like...we just know what the other person is thinking. We're also kind of like the same person, haha.

Basically the story goes...
Fall of 2009, I asked in the Arizona thread "Who plays smash?" etc. and was invited to a very small smashfest by Piman34 with Piman, Axe, one of Piman's dormmates, and myself. I didn't know Axe was good or anything, and frankly, I was not good enough to realize how much he was sandbagging at the time (though he did do a 6-stock comeback on us, lol). Needless to say, I got his cell phone number and invited him to a "welcome to college" party near my dorm about a week later. I thought he was this cool frat-like guy who was just gonna brush me off, but he went and we hung out a bit.

Then we decided to start smashing more often and it got to the point where we'd pretty much hang out every single day. Most of the time, we didn't even play serious Melee. We'd do Homerun Contest stuff and do all sorts of glitches (and discover some of our own) and play Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Whenever we'd play doubles, we tended to team together because I wasn't very good, so no one really questioned it (like they would now if we were to team in friendlies all the time). At the end of the semester, he couldn't go to University of Arizona anymore and had to move back to Phoenix. :(

But by then, the damage was done! We were already super good friends and knew each other's habits super well in-game.

I hosted my first tournament in January of 2010 and started my long string of hosting. We teamed at the first one and took first easily, though there wasn't really anyone too hard to beat there. We found we teamed super well and decided to give it a shot at another one with Forward and Tai teaming. I'm not sure if we won or lost, but I know it was close regardless. I pretty much would ask him if he was free to team from that point on, and actually, quite often, he wasn't because he'd promise other people that he'd team with them, like Tag$, Tai, V3ctorman, etc. Actually...the last time we teamed at a local, we only got 2nd to Taj and Wobbles. So dang on us. :(

But anyways...when Kings of Cali was announced, I asked Jeff pretty quick if he had promised anyone to team yet. He...uh...kind of did, but sort of blew him off, lol. We teamed and got 5th. This time around, we got 4th. So...hopefully...next time we team, we break that pattern and just go straight for 1st. :)

If he's got other people he promises to team with or has to team with or just straight up wants to team with...that's fine with me. He often does better without me. But I can't do as well without him. He carries me hard. I'm just the white mage. He's the one who Air Render's everyone to death. I just cast Protect and Shell and QuickReboot him if his hardware fails off edge. :p

But yeah. Jeff's my kokujin, and he's the best teammate anyone could ever have. <3
I picked that out when scrolling by.

YOU PLAY SA2B <3

It and Sadx are amoung the best games ever! You have gained my favor.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I love speedrunning too, (more so in SA1) but recently, I got back into chao raising again.

I'm currently working on three shiny two-tone chao that I'm gonna make swim/swim types of each alignment.

D

Deleted member

Official toonlink thread
talking about SAB2 (even though its a really good game)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Lets talk about possible modifications that could be made to Toon so he can compete better with the early perceived "top tiers".

Top Bottom