• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Kamidaze = Boomerang tricks have to go in. Aside from extended recovery though, which TL has with AGT bombs anyways (which down is actually totally better for recovery, it appears...), the boomerang catch won't matter until he can cling to a wall and do it.

Btw, boomerang tricks are in 1.1 too. :)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Do you have to lightly throw a bomb to be able to UpB into it after you go up with your air dodge, or are you supposed to air dodge diagonally? Or is my timing just bad and you can go up with the throw and still UpB into it and I'm missing something?

Badge

Smash Apprentice
If you don't reach the bomb either your timing on UpB is off or you don't AGT high enough, with the latter actually being more important.
The height of your AGT depends on the length of the initiating airdodge and how fast after it you throw the bomb. If you've got trouble bomb jumping you should make sure that you do maximum distance airdodges and throw the bomb on the first frame after airdodging before working on the UpB timing. (the AGT doesn't have to be perfect for bombjumping to be possible, but it must be near)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Cool, I'm always trying to improve my work on AGTs so this will definitely help in aiding that, I always thought there was something off about it. Most likely I'm UpBing too late because I always underestimate how quickly Tink recovers from tossing a bomb. I'm not too worried about the height because I've come to tell the differences in height and whether or not it's optimal.

Thanks to both of you.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yeah, I was having the same issue. Just Up+B immediately after you throw it upwards. Very little recovery after throwing the bomb so you can up+b faster than you think.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Also, on the topic of bomb jumping, I would like to bring up how significant it is that people ASDI the bomb explosion after bomb jumping. I see some complaints about TL's "poor" horizontal recovery but I really think this mechanic abolishes that entirely.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
-Well that, besides the fact you can agt up and forward continuously as long as you have sufficient altitude lmao

But yeah i always asdi the bomb to gain some distance horizontally. It's especially helpful at high %

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Could someone critique this for me: i'm cluelesslink16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXHTzDHBjYA
You tend to approach unsafely. You like to N-air or U-tilt when you're close, but that won't work at low percentages because they'll just crouch cancel it or perhaps even just shield it.

After D-throw, use U-smash unless they're at higher percent where F-smash, D-air, U-air, F-air, and Up-B would be better.

When recovering, pull a bomb first instead of jumping. Then AGT. Then jump and pull another bomb. (This is why I recommend turning tap jump off for AGT characters, because aside from Up-Smash out of shield, you shouldn't need up to jump unless you're dumb like a certain TL player) Or, save your jump until you actually need it and just keep AGT'ing close to the stage.

Don't use arrows unless you already have items out. You could be better spending your time moving back and grabbing a bomb or throwing a boomerang.

Don't throw out random F-smashes. They're not safe. Instead, throw out random F-airs but mix up if you're moving back or forward with them.

Don't ever just sit there. Keep moving so that your approach/retreat/in place all look the same.

Use more bomb approaches. Throwing a bomb forward limits their options. See what they do in that position and then you know for next time you throw a bomb.

Throwing a boomerang up is good for some characters, but Squirtle enjoys the ground and is easy to hit out of the air so you should be using smash throw forward boomerang.

If it looks like it will be an obvious edgeguard for your opponent like around 7:00, pull a bomb and bomb jump once -> grapple/Up-B.

Once again, U-smash/F-smash out of D-throw and throw boomerangs straight against Squirtle. Those are like the biggest things you could've been doing in that match.

Edgeguard with bombs/boomerang, not arrows. (Just an IMO thing. Not necessarily better.)

Don't land with B-airs when you come from way up high (8:20-ish). They aren't going to hit. Instead throw a boomerang or pull a bomb or get better stage position with wavelands or just land.

Yeah. Your other big thing is you jump after getting hit off stage when you should be pulling bombs and AGT'ing. Remember. They're not going to edgeguard you when you're in the blast zone bubbles. They'll be doing it when you're getting close to the stage. You need your jump for that (especially if you can have a jump AND a bomb).

Edit: ALSO BE A KOKUJIN AND PULL BOMBS FROM THE EDGE WITHOUT USING YOUR UP-B.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
the majority of this is great advice, and i agree completely. when i get hyped, i just throw out things to see what sticks but i should better learn my followups. Thank you again.

D

Deleted member

I just realised that I never up tilt.
Is it even important anymore? I think other things work better, such as up smash

`dazrin

Smash Champion
yeah same.

usmash 2 good.

I use utilt against spacies though sometimes (at high% where usmash will just send them too far but not far enough to kill)

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
i dont think usmash can be a complete substitute for utilt. i use multiple utilts to follow up with aerial up-b at high %. if i get 2nd hit of usmash (i kno 1st hit wont connect with 2nd), then i follow with aerial up-b or anything else to continue the combo. i think i use utilt more than usmash (probably more than anybody here...)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ok so i played GNW/Tink matchup with my friend

gonna review that **** and bring some notes later

D

Deleted member

Game and Watch is a weird character. I wouldn't play TL against him if I had another character though. Seeing as how I also play Marth... Marth just spaces toooooo gooooood.
But notes for tl would always be welcomed

D

Deleted member

I learned a few things from playing Dakpo (3rd bestZSS in brawl, plays GNW for w/e reason in P:M). He's not really a good character, but he has some stuff at his disposal.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
TL/GW I would think is definitely in Toon's favor...
He's light, he gets camped hard, and Toon can combo him.

D

Deleted member

GNW is annoying to deal with though. Bacon spam, running everywhere, up throw into anything, and he has dumb priority over everything. (Plus those random lucky numbers in the right places all the time). I'd just rather play marth and punish him hard.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I agree Marth/GW is better than TL/GW, I was just saying TL/GW is perfectly doable.

If you're gonna go by that though, 90% of Marth's MUs are better than Toons. Don't be afraid to go Toon just because he does worse (unless he gets wrecked).

In Melee I had to finally switch from Link to Marth because almost everyone goes Fox, Falco, Sheik or Marth, all MUs Link has a lot of trouble with.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
pick falcon, falcon is the best because i said so

does anyone know if i can get a name change without premium? Ive been retired of Calvo819 for almost 2 years now and want to get it changed :I

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I've played a lot of Bowser, and I'm starting to pick up TLink more. Is it possible to use TLink's up-b to quickly grab the ledge like Bowser does? Could be useful for positioning on the ledge then falling off the ledge to an upb back onto the stage for early edgeguards. I don't have my set up right now, or I'd test this myself.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
You can only if you're facing away from the ledge. If you're facing towards the ledge, you fall off in a tumble animation. The only way to do it out of a run is to Up-B and then hit away from the ledge, then hold towards the ledge. It's actually a lot more convenient and quick to just RAR to grab the ledge. If you're already close, you might as well just turn around and short hop onto the ledge or do some weird air dodge->hookshot thing.

Uncertain, but you may be able to short hop a reverse arrow to grab the ledge.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Anyone use dtilt for edgeguarding? Several days ago, I found out that you can spike enemies trying to sweetspot the ledge with electric dtilt. I'm currently investigating on what I can do if i don't get electric dtilt (dtilt -> nair, upb, etc.).

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Damn. TL's dtilt is more awesome than I thought. :awesome:

Top Bottom