• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I almost ALWAYS throw forward when recovering horizontally with AGT because:
C) Why wouldn't you? Throwing up in the air doesn't do anything for you unless you intend to bombjump into it. If anything, you'd want to be throwing downwards because it drops the bomb into the blastzone and out of existence, which allows you to pull out more bombs for recovery usage since that said strat mitigates the 3bomb limit.

Also, use cstick to throw your bombs. It's just better in every way.
I thought throwing down while momentum'ing up gave more distance than side throws? Are all the throw directions all the same number of frames as well?

I also don't know if AGT'ing a banana when you have one helps Diddy recover: since the momentum is so little, you might sometimes be better off hoping you can Z-drop it if someone hits you or something while getting back/landing so you can go for side-b to up-b as soon as possible without wasting time for an AGT which would probably stall your momentum at best.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
The direction in which you throw doesnt matter when it comes to the distance you gain, Mad. It is the direction and the timing in which you input the airdodge that counts when it comes to that. I honestly never considered the amount of frames it takes to throw, so that could be something worth looking into, but for the purposes of recovering well and covering your opponents edgeguarding attempts, throwing towards the stage is by far the best option.

Also brownlink, the arguement that "its too hard so it isn't a good technique" really doesn't hold water for me at all. You need to practice, and thats just part of it- tough, I know, but it's all to improve your play! :)

If certain techniques were too hard to be used in play, fox and falco would have never stayed at the top of the melee tierlist over the course of 12 years ;P

Also laijin still needs to explore TLs new options lol. He was trying to play Melee YL which doesn't work at all if you don't know how to recover with TL

D

Deleted member

I played in some P:M wifi tournament.
Won round 1, lost round 2, won losers round 2, and then the losers round 3 was so dumb. My opponent lied about multiple things and kept choosing the wrong stages, but when I called him out, they told me that they're moving him up because I care too much about the ruleset.
**** people and their logic lmao. They're just afraid of the :toonlink:

D

Deleted member

It was on some random twitch stream. The players name was "hope4life" or something.

D

Deleted member

I know.
Okay, lets let the player who was stalling and not following the ruleset continue, but the person annoyed by this can kiss their *** goodbye.

D

Deleted member

It's a wifi tourney, so I just wanted to try out something.
By the way, AGTs are worthless on wifi. Just play some really jank character, like Zelda or Mario.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yeah it's already stupid that we can take a game so seriously for ego's sake, it only gets worse when you include ghetto acting basement dwellers and Wifi to the equation. That said though, I did have fun when I had a day off to enter one of those under my twitch name and win it: I got lucky and only had to play a lot of the nicer players though.http://challonge.com/PMWifiWeekly6

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I see frame data for Link in PM but not for T.Link...
Someone should make a thread on his movesets and frame data.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
It's hard to say. Sheik and TL are probably both my mains depending on match-up. I prefer Sheik against some characters, while TL is amazing against others (*cough cough*Puff). Is there something I can discuss regarding TL General Discussion or the video? :)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Did you find out if YL's throws have different frame lengths?
Yes.

Throwing a bomb downwards (in the air, obviously) is the fastest at 24 frames, only two frames faster than throwing forward (which is the best option from a gameplay standpoint) and throwing up is by far the worst and slowest option for AGTing.

BombthrowUp: 33frames
BombthrowBack: 26frames
BombthrowForward: 26frames
BombthrowDown: 24frames

Yep. There ya go.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Interesting stuff, Daze, I may have to start using the downward toss more often.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
f*ck... throwing up is by far the easiest way to AGT, you troll devs...
I practiced throwing forward a bunch, I still zair or do nothing 60% of the time.
Maybe I'll get better when I actually have opponents. On a side note, I tend to not have issues AGT throwing down, but its situational when recovering.

It's hard to say. Sheik and TL are probably both my mains depending on match-up. I prefer Sheik against some characters, while TL is amazing against others (*cough cough*Puff). Is there something I can discuss regarding TL General Discussion or the video? :)
I see. Not knocking ur TL, its very good, but I feel like there were times you were rather inconsistent.
You'd be doing great and then flub something rather fundamental, and wonder if it could be from having two mains.
I myself find that my Link and Marth suffer when I play a lot of TL, and vice versa.
That's just my 2 cents.

D

Deleted member

If you're really having it be 60% of the time you're not getting the AGT correct, you need to work your **** out. Press them at the same time if you need to, I bet you're doing the C stick really late.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If you're really having it be 60% of the time you're not getting the AGT correct, you need to work your **** out. Press them at the same time if you need to, I bet you're doing the C stick really late.
lol, I do *try* to press them at the same time, I just lack coordination.
But as I said, it would help a ton if I had people to play against, you're lucky you live close to Dallas. I half hope I may get a job there so I can join the PM community. Quantify "really late" btw, it usually only feels like about .25-.5 seconds when I attempt to c-right and get a zair instead of AGT.

Do you use the C-stick to AGT?
Yes. It's simply harder to time up-control right c-stick compared to up-control up c-stick.
I never miss AGT when I throw the bomb up (or down).

Jolteon

I use the C-stick and I find all directions require the same difficulty, I dunno what advice to give really. <_<

Practicing it vs humans is very helpful though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
My brain is basically wired that "control stick up, c stick up" easy.
"control stick up, c stick left (right)" wait wut...

Well, OK, its not actually like that. Basically I want to throw the bomb left or right but my fingers don't react in time.
But its a moot point, practice is the only thing that fixes it.
Albeit, I've been practicing JC grabs for years and still can't get it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
This is one of those instances where you need to take a powerful magnet and rub it on your brain and see if that helps, or play a musical instrument.

Jolteon

Mental blocks suck. When I first started to play TL I had this big mental block where I would always fail my AGT when I was off-stage but I always got it right when I did it on stage. I managed to overcome it by acknowledging it and actively working to change the way I think about AGTing when off-stage, but mental blocks are a more personal thing, so I wish you the best of luck in dealing with it.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Mental blocks suck. When I first started to play TL I had this big mental block where I would always fail my AGT when I was off-stage but I always got it right when I did it on stage. I managed to overcome it by acknowledging it and actively working to change the way I think about AGTing when off-stage, but mental blocks are a more personal thing, so I wish you the best of luck in dealing with it.
I suppose so.
I got AGT down pact by simply practicing in training mode and against CPUs. Getting it work in any direction with consistency though may require some extra hardcore practice, preferably with other people. I really wish one of you lived in my area, would be great to have another TL to play with.

D

Deleted member

If we were a few hours closer I'd show you some Toon stuffs.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Hopefully I can make it to a Bowser's Revenge at some point, or maybe you could come when we have a tourney in Austin.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Haha I play drums, so I'm a pretty coordinated person able to do multiple different things as long as it has some kind of rhyme and reason.. or in this case, rhythm and reason :p So AGTing in multiple directions and inputting two different directions on the control stick and cstick at the same time was pretty natural for me, but I could see how someone could struggle with that.

Anyways, just keep at it and you'll get it eventually!!

(BTW, when you AGT forwards, always put your control stick diagonally up as well as forward. Inputting it straight forwards won't grant you nearly as much distance/ momentum.)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
(BTW, when you AGT forwards, always put your control stick diagonally up as well as forward. Inputting it straight forwards won't grant you nearly as much distance/ momentum.)
Wait... wut?
I thought when you AGT the control stick always points straight up?

I do play the piano and cello btw, but I feel like it requires a different sort of hand-eye coordination (and I've played them both for years).

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
yo daz, gg's at gc :3c

its a shame we didnt get to money match tho, lets do GNW vs Tink next time ;3

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I guess this should be stressed: Timing is Everything!
I play the Ocarina (been doing it for 5 years). I can play OoT to the beat of SSBB Zelda medley (and thats not all the songs i kno), so i am very coordinated in my actions. Most things that require timing are easy for me. You just gotta "go with the flow." :cool:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Wait... wut?
I thought when you AGT the control stick always points straight up?

I do play the piano and cello btw, but I feel like it requires a different sort of hand-eye coordination (and I've played them both for years).
No. I suppose this is why you're having trouble. The control stick determines where you will be shifting your momentum. If you want to AGT and move forwards, you'll have to input the controlstick to go diagonally up and towards the stage. If you just input the control stick to go straight up, your momentum will only go upwards. I explain this in my "How to AGT" video.

yo daz, gg's at gc :3c

its a shame we didnt get to money match tho, lets do GNW vs Tink next time ;3
Next time put this kind of thing in the social thread xD
But yeah dude, GGs yo :p I know I'm johning but I didn't play even close to as well as I usually do in our matches :< Next time hopefully I won't need to sacrifice all my playtime with setting up streams xD

You're pretty good though yo. Next time, lets play a lot-- I've never played against a good GnW so it's really interesting to learn the MU :p

D

Deleted member

I played brawl and melee for about 3 years ish. My hands just adapted to moving everywhere, so they also naturally go at about 100 wpm.
Practice, Practice, Practice. It's not hard. Oh and if you're in tournament, MM, or w/e, take really calm breaths when you are about to agt into your bomb jump. I know I perform better when I relax myself.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
No. I suppose this is why you're having trouble. The control stick determines where you will be shifting your momentum. If you want to AGT and move forwards, you'll have to input the controlstick to go diagonally up and towards the stage. If you just input the control stick to go straight up, your momentum will only go upwards. I explain this in my "How to AGT" video.
Yes, that would explain a lot.
I'll take the fault here, I only watched your "how to bomb jump" video and assumed that's the only way to AGT.
At the same time, I'm surprised no one mentioned you can AGT FORWARD when I kept whining about how hard it is to synchronize up control stick right c-stick.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
We assumed you knew. I've explained it countless times in the pm social thread, the TL smashmods thread, in here, and in my video tutorial. Don't blame us for your ignorance! :p

Anyways, you know the drill now. All ya gotta do is practice :p

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
We assumed you knew. I've explained it countless times in the pm social thread, the TL smashmods thread, in here, and in my video tutorial. Don't blame us for your ignorance! :p

Anyways, you know the drill now. All ya gotta do is practice :p
meh, three out of those four locations I never visit.
All the same, thnx for the input.

Top Bottom