• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L__

Smash Master
Who cares what it was made to be. Melee is what it is, and Brawl is what it is. Some people say that since SSBB was made to not be competitive, that means that none should be. In that case, does that mean SCIII was made to suck, and therefore that`s how the other ones were supposed to be, too? <_<
Although SSBB wasn't meant to be competitive, neither was Melee, or 64. In 64 we discovered Z-canceling which increased the speed of the flow of game play. Short hopping was also discovered to increase game play speed. (If this was wrong notify me immediately with Citations.) In Melee, we rediscovered "Z-canceling" which was later renamed L-canceling; the L standing for lag. Later Wavedashing was discovered and had its uses found out; spacing, mindgames, ledgehogs, comboing, etc. There are several others that had its important effects on the gameplay of several smashers out there and it's only a matter of time before we find things out in Brawl that will make it slowly more competitive in its own sense. You guys, we have to remember that a game is a game and each successor will have its differences in gameplay. To be honest; you guys should give Brawl more time to develop and have the game to draw out further. To me it's just a new game with a different play style. (that at times I abhor.) Who knows? If the Melee community can withhold the test of time while the Brawl community does not then the majority will go back to a technical game. (And I won't be alone supporting the fast paced-ness of Melee!)

Just thought I'd add my two cents on how nothing really "sucks" more than another but rather a matter of personal opinion.

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
Ok, just one thing to say: Neither Melee nor SSB 64 were made to be competitive, however nothing was put in them to stop them from being competitive, they were simply made without competitiveness in mind. Brawl however was made specifically NOT to be competitive, i.e, Sakurai really did try and stop people like us from making it into something like Melee. Thats how Brawl was made, Sakurai himself has admitted it. So to say Melee and Brawl were made on equal terms would be wrong. Dogysamich is right, we should have all caught this earlier, all the signs were there.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Who cares what it was made to be. Melee is what it is, and Brawl is what it is. Some people say that since SSBB was made to not be competitive, that means that none should be. In that case, does that mean SCIII was made to suck, and therefore that`s how the other ones were supposed to be, too? <_<
oh. You mean how they saw the demand for an arcade version, even though arcades were on the decline, so they released an arcade version and removed variable cancelling?

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Do you know where some of these quotes are about Brawl intentionally nerfed for competitiveness? I`d like to read them...

And I agree to what you said. Whether SSB64 and Melee were made to be competitive or not, at least the option was there. It`s like the difference between diving into an ocean and a puddle. In the first, you can stay happily on the surface or you can go as deep as your capacity will allow you. But in the second you`ll hit your head really hard if you try going beyond the surface. And so it is with Brawl.

N355

Smash Apprentice
Ahem, Ganondorf.

Anyway I can't decide, Melee and Brawl are really close, but no one will play Melee anymore...
I was getting frustrated because of all the people I know who moved on to brawl saying why do you play melee yadda yadda yadda without looking at it from my perspective. A friend of mine just had an all nighter video game party and we ended up playing some melee later on. One kid said melee is more fun and he likes the physics better but he likes the characters of brawl better. Also, when I was playing with another kid he was saying how fun it was to play melee again and that he was going to play both. More and more people are starting to remember how great melee is. Just ask you friends to play melee with you for an hour or so. Just say hey how about we play an hour of brawl then an hour of melee?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Do you know where some of these quotes are about Brawl intentionally nerfed for competitiveness? I`d like to read them...

And I agree to what you said. Whether SSB64 and Melee were made to be competitive or not, at least the option was there. It`s like the difference between diving into an ocean and a puddle. In the first, you can stay happily on the surface or you can go as deep as your capacity will allow you. But in the second you`ll hit your head really hard if you try going beyond the surface. And so it is with Brawl.

Ask gimpyfish, apparently he made a big deal about it when he got sick of brawl.

Or it might be floating around in the brawl forums. :/

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
It took me about a week of playing. I realized that I hadn't found any combos yet after playing for so long. Then I looked online and the best people were Chaingrabbing with DeDeDe. I tried it, and did it succesfully on my first try. I was like "WTF? What were they thinking, making something like DeDeDe's chaingrab, something so extremely broken and easy to perform?" Then I realized that the developers had obviously made brawl sucky for competitive play on purpose.
I feel exactly the same way. I wonder if the developers purposely made it so easy...

The only complaints that tick me off so far is that people think Brawl sucks because their favorite character was nerfed.

By their brilliant logic, Melee should suck as well because certain characters were nerf from their N64 version
It's not that people think it sucks because their favorite character was nerfed, but more because almost every character was nerfed and unable to produce mad combos like in melee (wooo hooo we have DDD's chaingrab... =/ ). Look at some melee videos, and then compare them to brawl. Melee vids are much more fast paced, and combo-oriented, so it's very reasonable to see why competetive players are not very excited about brawl's no-combo-system. Brawl tends to attract more less-competetive players who love the prettier graphics and cool looking characters.

Funny thing, just a few weeks ago my little sister commented that she likes melee more because it actually takes skill, and edgeguarding (or being edgeguarded) is more exciting and challenging. Coming from my LITTLE sister, that must mean something.

L__

Smash Master
I realized I didn't like Brawl the first day I bought it. So basically I picked it up and sat down right?

First thing that I realized. Hey this game looks nice; wow it took fox like 5 seconds to come down from a double jump... >__>

Second thing. Hmm...his reflector looks nice...where's the jump canceling?

Third thing. Wow how short does this blaster go..?

Fourth thing. My friend picked up Pika and chain grabbed me from 13-80% and then Usmashed.

Serious bull am I right?

Fifth thing. I missed the combos dearly. Thunder's combo, waveshining, and Shine to bair etc.

...super pro combo on larger characters: drill to utilt. OMG PRONESS!

This guy at my school whom I used to brag about ****** everyone with fox since I was like 3rd best at my school right? well since fox is complete **** in brawl and has a couple flashy techniques; he picked him up because it's brawl. god, the sad thing is since everything is so "evened" out, he thinks he's better than me although i continue to **** him.

N355

Smash Apprentice
I feel exactly the same way. I wonder if the developers purposely made it so easy...

It's not that people think it sucks because their favorite character was nerfed, but more because almost every character was nerfed and unable to produce mad combos like in melee (wooo hooo we have DDD's chaingrab... =/ ). Look at some melee videos, and then compare them to brawl. Melee vids are much more fast paced, and combo-oriented, so it's very reasonable to see why competetive players are not very excited about brawl's no-combo-system. Brawl tends to attract more less-competetive players who love the prettier graphics and cool looking characters.

Funny thing, just a few weeks ago my little sister commented that she likes melee more because it actually takes skill, and edgeguarding (or being edgeguarded) is more exciting and challenging. Coming from my LITTLE sister, that must mean something.
Your little sister has wisdom beyond her years

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
I was getting frustrated because of all the people I know who moved on to brawl saying why do you play melee yadda yadda yadda without looking at it from my perspective. A friend of mine just had an all nighter video game party and we ended up playing some melee later on. One kid said melee is more fun and he likes the physics better but he likes the characters of brawl better. Also, when I was playing with another kid he was saying how fun it was to play melee again and that he was going to play both. More and more people are starting to remember how great melee is. Just ask you friends to play melee with you for an hour or so. Just say hey how about we play an hour of brawl then an hour of melee?
Might work, actually. Thanks! :chuckle:

An hour of both..

Oh and I know one of my friends said he was rather disappointed in Brawl and says Melee was much better. I didn't believe him at first but later on I realized..

~rh

Smash Lord
I think you should invite your little sister to register on SmashBoards. :) She'll be welcomed with open arms.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I first knew that things were going downhill when sakurai said that he was going to moderate the speed because people had complained to him about how fast melee was. and then when I first saw a vid of it I could barely hold the vomit down watching bowser or ganon try to drag themselves off the ground after an aerial.

otg

Smash Master
The first character I used was Mario, and I thought it was fantastic that he chould SHdouble Aerials... but so can a majority of the cast.. plus you can just air dodge out of any combos because there is no hit stun... **** that.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I saw the trailer and I knew itd suck. Then I made my thread saying like a year in advance that brawl would suck and almost everyone said omg ur wrong dylan ur stupid elitist

but I was right. ftw

Krooton

Smash Cadet
Brawl is awesome, its much more balanced then Melee. I like how everyone doesn't play the same 4 character. (Fox, Falco, Shiek, and Marth). Theres more variety.

Grunt

Smash Master
Instead, everyone plays snake or metaknight
QFETAW

Krooton said:
Brawl is awesome, its much more balanced then Melee. I like how everyone doesn't play the same 4 character. (Fox, Falco, Shiek, and Marth). Theres more variety.
You have obviously never been to a melee tourney, or have even been involved in the competetive melee scene.

otg

Smash Master
Look at some of the last big Melee tournament results. There are lots of mid/low tiers that placed high and did very well in tournies (Jiggz, ganon, samus, Dk, Icies). Although the Brawl metagame is still fresh, MK and Snake already claimed their god tier status. Let's see where Brawl's diversity pans out from there.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Melee excelled in gameplay. Sure Brawl, may be better in other aspects, but it left the most important one behind...

Smash Journeyman
When I played against my friends in Brawl, all they did was camp with Wolf, Pit, and Falco. Brawl has the gayest playstyles I've ever seen in a game.

DarkFalconZ

Smash Cadet
when i first got brawl i thought it was so much better but i say 1 month after it was out i slowly began to realie how much the game sucked, the game is too slow, some characters are to over powered, some to underppowered, the random tripping; its just not a good game, or at least not as good as melee

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I first realized Brawl was a bad competitive game when I played it at home the day it came out >_> But for a while I sort of thought it would at least be a good game to play with my friends as a sort of screw around game. The problem with that was that the day we decided to pop in Melee and do the exact same thing we had MORE fun playing melee(with all items on, random characters, random stages) than we did with Brawl. So I sort of stopped having a reason to play Brawl and I realized that Brawl was just an inferior version of Melee.
This. Exactly this.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I played SSE and was like "Amazing" then I got back home and tried to play it competitively and was like...oh hell

Laijin

Smash Hero
I realized brawl sucked after random people started winning tournies. Literally, people who have never been to a melee tournament in their life picked up brawl and started winning tournaments everywhere. The ones who always win every melee tournament were not even close to placing.
Of course its two different games. But brawl is too easy to play competively.
-I literally learned 5 different characters and became good with them in about an hour of playing.
-Its not balanced.
-You should'nt be able to get someone who has never played smash bros in their life, let them play brawl for a week, then go to a tournament and almost win(I've seen it happen). wtf.

Jimmyray

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry Melee fans, but I get bored of Melee very easily, Brawl however killed about 8 hours of my day when I played it (I live in England). I guess the SSE Co-op, the final smashes, the better graphics, the increase of characters and the online does it for me. Not that Melee isn't a great game, but to swap to Melee from playing a brand new updated game is like going back in time to me, and bores the poop outta me. Brawl has more to offer in my book, but don't get angry, it's just opinion, and quite frankly I think I have a right to it.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry Melee fans, but I get bored of Melee very easily, Brawl however killed about 8 hours of my day when I played it (I live in England). I guess the SSE Co-op, the final smashes, the better graphics, the increase of characters and the online does it for me. Not that Melee isn't a great game, but to swap to Melee from playing a brand new updated game is like going back in time to me, and bores the poop outta me. Brawl has more to offer in my book, but don't get angry, it's just opinion, and quite frankly I think I have a right to it.
You have a flaws in your personality. Everyone that prefers Brawl over Melee has.

You have a right to voice your opinion. But we also have the right to coment on your opinions. Opinions reflect the way you think and your personality. There both flawed if you like Brawl more than Melee.

Sorry, but it's true.

otg

Smash Master
Ok, reread what the Melee people are posting here. All the things you listed (single player, final smashes, 'better' graphics, increased characters, and the ****ty online) are all fine and good. In fact yes they are what makes Brawl good.

However, you left out the most important one, and it's where Brawl fails: Gameplay. The multiplayer, the only part that actually matters in that game, sucks competitively. And that is what this site is about, Competitive smash. All of your reasons are aesthetic, the only appeal to people on the outside.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, just get out of the Melee boards and go back to NooB land. Last thing also: new does NOT mean better.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Ok, reread what the Melee people are posting here. All the things you listed (single player, final smashes, 'better' graphics, increased characters, and the ****ty online) are all fine and good. In fact yes they are what makes Brawl good.

However, you left out the most important one, and it's where Brawl fails: Gameplay. The multiplayer, the only part that actually matters in that game, sucks competitively. And that is what this site is about, Competitive smash. All of your reasons are aesthetic, the only appeal to people on the outside.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, just get out of the Melee boards and go back to NooB land. Last thing also: new does NOT mean better.
Well said.

Opinions can be stupid sometimes.

Wrath`

Smash Master
You have a flaws in your personality. Everyone that prefers Brawl over Melee has.

You have a right to voice your opinion. But we also have the right to coment on your opinions. Opinions reflect the way you think and your personality. There both flawed if you like Brawl more than Melee.

Sorry, but it's true.
the fact that you think a video game can point out personality flaws, shows your personality flaws, wow melle player are trying everthing to downsize brawl. wowz, if brawl is less competitive, why are there more tournies?

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Because people are trying to beat an already dead horse instead of sticking with the live one. <_<

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
the fact that you think a video game can point out personality flaws, shows your personality flaws, wow melle player are trying everthing to downsize brawl. wowz, if brawl is less competitive, why are there more tournies?
Everything you do can tell me a little about yourself. Doesn't matter if it's a video game or not.

Me is a guru.

More people play Brawl. That's why there's more tournies for it. Not because it's more competative. Some people have **** as brains.

I don't know where peoples standards went. Time changes everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom