• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
When it had vastly superior graphics and more characters a variety of stages and tons of replay value. Then it sucked.
Yeah I can totally see Brawl being replayed for another eight years seeing as how its metagame is so shallow... not to mention a large majority of the cast is incapable of being played in tournament and it has as many, if not less tournament worthy stages that Melee does.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well.

For a long time, I was part of the Pro-Brawl crowd.

I loved the stages in the game, and I loved most of the characters.

I dont think it sucks, (probably because it has Diddy Kong in it, and for me, anything with Diddy Kong in it can't be terrible. (Although the game needed K. Rool... and we got Clone Link. (I like him, I wish he wasn't a clone though)

However, after spending hours and hours playing Melee with a friend when I lacked Brawl, I came to realize how much better Melee was for hardcore gamers, and how much more fun in general the speed made the game. And when Captain Falcon was a beast...

Now I'm wishing they had made Melee 2.0, but just amped up the graphics, added about 20 stages, and added about 20 characters, (with reduced hitstun on Meta Knight, and range on Snake's tilts.)

But of course, kept in all of the techs that made Melee Melee. And somehow added Banjo & Kazooie :(:(:(:( (And of course, a stage with this music : http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/bt64_ggm_ssbm.mid ( <3 glitter gulch mine music)

Oh, and K. Rool, the only REAL pirate ship stage (Gangplank Galleon, duh, and THIS (Anyone who hasn't heard this yet, be prepared to be taken to a world of purely epic...musix...

:http://kic.herograw.org/mp3/Kong in...hrash the Plank (Gang-Plank Galleon Pt 2).mp3

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
Yeah I can totally see Brawl being replayed for another eight years seeing as how its metagame is so shallow... not to mention a large majority of the cast is incapable of being played in tournament and it has as many, if not less tournament worthy stages that Melee does.
yes I can see it being played for another eight years too. Well until smash 4 comes out.

It never did. Lol
My friend doesn't own a wii either.

Oh wait lol, move along people, nothing to see here.
I thought all sites wanted new members. I didn't know this was a melee only site.

We're supposed to be talking about Brawl
My friend is blind aswell he can't tell graphical differance in games either.

Alright I'm gone >_>

Sorry in advance though I always liked Melee. Just the elitism in this topic is blinding.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
loool How are we spoiled, if you mean spoiled by we played a good game and then dont want to go to a SHIT game, then yeah we are spoiled.
Professor, can I use this quote in my sig for a while? lol

{im serious}

yes I can see it being played for another eight years too. Well until smash 4 comes out.

I thought all sites wanted new members. I didn't know this was a melee only site.

Alright I'm gone >_>

Sorry in advance though I always liked Melee. Just the elitism in this topic is blinding.
People usually don't play the "age" or "join date" card until someone deserves it.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
"BETTUR GRAFX!!" does not make a better, or for this fact, more replayable game.
but if that's the way you think, then you need to get out of the Melee boards and go back to playing Brawl FFA's, all items on high, with the two friends you have.
You mindless Troll.

Shroomed

Smash Master

Alright I'm gone >_>

Brawl replayable? LOL

On the very off chance I'm playing brawl, I'm hella bored after prolly my first life of the first match. Brawl is only fun when you play on Spear Pillar, nowhere else

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
don't worry guys, everyone will soon realize they hate brawl when there's a championship match of a national tournament, both ppl are above 150% and one guy trips into a fsmash......brawl fails so so so hard
heck, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet...

BEES

Smash Lord
I was optimistic. I'm still optimistic, but at the moment I prefer Melee's gameplay. For me it was Marth's infinite chaingrab on Ness and Lucas that did it. Two characters that would've been very competitive, gone just like that.

Then Pikachu's 80% chaingrab on Fox. Fox was looking pretty good until then. That hard counter will forever prevent him from being competitive. Then DDD's infinite chaingrab on Mario, Luigi, Bowser, DK... four characters. Four god**** characters cannot fight one of the most popular competitive characters.

With Captain Falcon and Ganondorf being worthless, that brings us up to what... 7 useless characters? Probably more, as there are a couple other hard counters as well. Enough to cancel out the number of new characters in the game...

And it's not like Melee where there were clear character advantages, but everyone had at least SOMETHING they could abuse to try to make up for it.

It's not a bad game. There is a sort of balancing dynamic between the top tiers, kinda like the four best characters in melee. Snake and Metaknight are overplayed, but there are several characters that can go toe to toe with them, and with a bit of exploring we'll see the appearance of these level out. It is nice that everyone has more unique attacks. In melee everyone sort of had the same 3-4 kicks over and over. There are very subtle physics glitches that could pave the way for a massive reshaping of the metagame. So I'm hopeful. I'll keep looking.

But for the time being Melee is more fun, less frustrating. Definitely.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
You really don't have a clue about brawl either then. Don't get me wrong, I really hate brawl, but calling Luigi and DK useless in brawl?!? Lol, that's like saying "Shiek for low tier" in melee. Besides, you don't need to pitch to the melee boards why brawl sucks anymore, we all know.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
"BETTUR GRAFX!!" does not make a better, or for this fact, more replayable game.
but if that's the way you think, then you need to get out of the Melee boards and go back to playing Brawl FFA's, all items on high, with the two friends you have.
You mindless Troll.
Thats kinda harsh no need to get upset. I'm sorry I have a differant opinion than you. I don't play with items actually and most of my friends don't play brawl.. too busy working and drinking enjoying life. Actually I barely get to play brawl because of it. work 45 hours a week and I have a baby on the way.

But thanks you all, I see now how one minded this part of the forums are. Don't think I'll be back here. Ironic how you think I'm a troll though. Don't hate appreciate.. lol brawl that is.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Thats kinda harsh no need to get upset. I'm sorry I have a differant opinion than you. I don't play with items actually and most of my friends don't play brawl.. too busy working and drinking enjoying life. Actually I barely get to play brawl because of it. work 45 hours a week and I have a baby on the way.

But thanks you all, I see now how one minded this part of the forums are. Don't think I'll be back here. Ironic how you think I'm a troll though. Don't hate appreciate.. lol brawl that is.
This is the MELEE boards.
You came to an ANTI-BRAWL thread.
You POSTED in said thread with INTENTION of of bringing your PRO-BRAWL views into it.
The only reason you would do that is for the REACTION.
You CAME BACK after you said you were "leaving" to see the reactions you made.
You RESPOND and try to make us seem like the bad guys.

This defines a troll.
Nothing ironic about it.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
For me it was the abolition of wavedashing and the nerfing of Falcon. The perfect Brawl in my eyes would have had all the Melee stages, all the Melee techs, no 75m or NPC, MKWii-quality online, use of custom stages online, voice chat online, Melee's speed, and Brawl's character roster.

rhan

Smash Hero
Ryazan said:
For me it was the abolition of wavedashing and the nerfing of Falcon. The perfect Brawl in my eyes would have had all the Melee stages, all the Melee techs, no 75m or NPC, MKWii-quality online, use of custom stages online, voice chat online, Melee's speed, and Brawl's character roster.
Custom stages fail instantly. Most stages are ********. Like your waiting on the match to start and once it does you find out your playing on a giant ***** or boobs. -.-

Voice chat online would be SO annoying. OMG I can hear complaining over the internetz and in my own home now? AWESOME! Typical Brawl VC conversation: P1: Stop spamming! P2: Stop camping! P1: UP YOURS NOOB! Also what about if there was 4 people? All the voices would get crossed and wouldn't even sound like talking. More like a bunch of static. And the language that would come through. Most people who play Brawl are mostly kids. How would the parents feel if they heard prophanity comming out of thier TV? Bad for business.

I haven't play MKWii at all so I can't comment on this.

Smash Master
I hated brawl after I realized I hadn't gotten any better after playing for a week. In Melee, there are always techniques to improve on. I still can't drillshine, for example. With brawl, all that changed from the time I bought the game is I learned how to infinite with DDD and IC's

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
NJ sometimes has 4 neutral stages.

And I think I heard from my friend that you are allowed to ban one.

So its possible to play a tournament match with two neutral stages.

Yay...?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

We dont want people round here who some up forums from one person comment.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
This is the MELEE boards.
You came to an ANTI-BRAWL thread.
You POSTED in said thread with INTENTION of of bringing your PRO-BRAWL views into it.
The only reason you would do that is for the REACTION.
You CAME BACK after you said you were "leaving" to see the reactions you made.
You RESPOND and try to make us seem like the bad guys.

This defines a troll.
Nothing ironic about it.
Please refer to the key word noted below. There may be a connection. lol

I don't play with items actually and most of my friends don't play brawl.. too busy working and drinking enjoying life..

otg

Smash Master
NJ sometimes has 4 neutral stages.

And I think I heard from my friend that you are allowed to ban one.

So its possible to play a tournament match with two neutral stages.

Yay...?
Yay but look at how many counterpicks are available. More than half of the stages can be used in counterpicking, and I have a hard time believing two of the neutral stages were removed from NJ tournaments. Which ones? FD and FoD or something? Wtf is the logic in removing two of the neutral stages from anything besides team matches (in that case I understand).

Comparatively, Brawl has the same amount of tournament levels by percentage available. I would say there are even less Neutral levels however (IMO, FD isn't legit, and Pokemon stadium as well).

Shroomed

Smash Master
i want to go to a brawl tournament simply to see how these brawl noobs will act face to face. i just noticed, the only game i've ever played nearly as much as melee was world of warcraft, and i quit that cuz it was too time consuming lol

Almo

Smash Ace
i probably realized it after about a month of playing and TYRING to enjoy the game, online was the only time i played consistently with people, and online sucks so bad. melee is so much better.

daisey

Smash Apprentice
i want to go to a brawl tournament simply to see how these brawl noobs will act face to face.
LQ, id like to hear about it. I think their too cocky face to face, even when their getting owned from someone that dosent play the game as much as they do.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yay but look at how many counterpicks are available. More than half of the stages can be used in counterpicking, and I have a hard time believing two of the neutral stages were removed from NJ tournaments. Which ones? FD and FoD or something? Wtf is the logic in removing two of the neutral stages from anything besides team matches (in that case I understand).

Comparatively, Brawl has the same amount of tournament levels by percentage available. I would say there are even less Neutral levels however (IMO, FD isn't legit, and Pokemon stadium as well).
FoD??

I'm pretty sure FoD wasn't in brawl. Unless I missed something.

In any case although originally I had no real point I guess you can say the level of playing gay increases for brawl.

Less neutral stages so your forced to learn how to play on the counterpicks especially since some neutrals are gay (FD is the new battlefield :().

When some counterpicks like delfino plaza creates walls so you know your going to camp until it goes away.

Pictochat makes a wall of boxes and stuff.

Yea... tournament Brawl games have far more throwing things at you and less fighting T_T.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea.

Maybe it was when I realized Brawl Jigglypuff sucks.
Or maybe when I realized Brawl Captain Falcon sucks.
Or maybe when I realized Brawl Ganondorf sucks.
Or maybe when I realized Brawl Mario sucks and so I really had no replacement for Dr. Mario. That makes four of my five Melee mains they killed off. :( (One or two, okay, but four? Seriously? At least I wasn't also a Samus or Link player, seeing what was done to them.)

Maybe it was when I noticed that there's scarcely ever a chance to edgeguard non-tether opponents since most strong moves in this game hit characters with such vertical knockback.

Maybe it was when I three-stocked someone with Toon Link in a three-stock match by doing nothing but running away and spamming bombs, with an occasional up smash or back air thrown in, because I didn't yet know how to use him "legitimately."

Maybe it was when I tried to play Toon Link "legitimately"--or Pit, or Falco, or R.O.B., or anybody else with one or two decent projectiles--and found out that, frankly, camping works.

Maybe it was when I figured out Snake's hitboxes.
Or maybe when I figured out Snake's knockback.

Maybe it was when I decided to screw around and spam nothing but Meta Knight's tornado and down smash for an entire match (having never read anything about the tornado before then), only to find that I did almost as well as when I played normally.

Maybe it was when I stopped feeling like my skill was improving within less than three months of play.

Maybe it was when I realized that, despite all of the above things, I have trouble going back to Melee because of the smaller roster, and because of the infinitely less impressive music and, most importantly, because nobody else I know will play it with me. They can't readjust back to the old Melee timing, and so instead of having two Smash Bros. games that I really stand behind, I'm left with none. :/

I do like Brawl. I just don't like like it, so to speak. If you want to search my post history, I'm pretty sure I said somewhere that it was a 10/10 game to me, but that was when it felt fresh and new, and I renounce that opinion. Right now my gameplay style hasn't changed a bit in two months and Brawl feels like the stalest thing around. :( I want to be continually improving.

(And I'm not even a competitive Melee player, by the way, nor was I ever. I never figured out how to successfully implement wavedashing into the context of a serious match and I never really wanted to. I relatively suck at combos, and my mindgames aren't much better. I've avoided mentioning Melee (except to say that nobody will play it with me anymore) because it's not about comparisons to me. As a standalone game, I believe Brawl tapers off too quickly and doesn't leave enough room for players to grow.)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Maybe it was when I realized that, despite all of the above things, I have trouble going back to Melee because of the smaller roster, and because of the infinitely less impressive music and, most importantly, because nobody else I know will play it with me. They can't readjust back to the old Melee timing, and so instead of having two Smash Bros. games that I really stand behind, I'm left with none. :/
Thats what brawl does to the community.
In my area few of the top people have decided to come back to melee which is great but ALOTTTTT of people have just left because of what it was like when it first came out and how everyone went to brawl sooo it destroyed our community but it is slowly rebuilding.

Cinder

Smash Master
It's good to see the Melee community regaining its numbers ^_^

But yeah, it took me a little while (until the end of May) to realize that Brawl wasn't for me...I never got that "HOLY **** DID I JUST DO THAT?!" feeling I got when I play Melee...and now, I'm all Melee...nothing can convince me to go back to Brawl...

kingdom-triforce

Smash Journeyman
Truthfully, the minute I saw the first trailer.

I noticed there was a little lag between the attacks and that Link's down A didn't seem as powerful as melee's version.

Added with the final smashes, it just didn't work out very well...

Nonetheless, I had to try it and my guess was correct: melee is better.

rhan

Smash Hero
Professor Pro said:
Why is there a section for brawl tactics when this game is soooo low depth that there is none?
Brawl has tactics. Spam and Camp. And if those fail....go Metaknight or Snake. Then continue to Spam and Camp. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom