• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your playing commandments?

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll start. I just want to see what diversity in strategy we have here cause I'm curious if i'm the only one with this kind of play style and what others are around.

Darkmega's Brawl commandments:
1. Thou shall not spam projectiles or moves which others do! Fight your opponent head on and show your skill, or die trying. Do not be cowardly and hide behind a barrage of arrows and tricks. Run out to meet your opponent.

2. Thou shall not ledge Hog! If someone needs it, give it to them, the ledges are for everyone to use. Simply wait for them with you weapon ready before smashing them back off again.

3. Thou shall try to be epic! Combo true, and spike them down to the depths for opposing you, or smite them with your ever increasing skill.

4. Thou shall be courteous unless you opponent says other wise! Taunt with a "here I come" style taunt to say you're coming, and join in on taunt barrages when invited!

5. There shall be no mercy for computer players! Destroy all computer players especially those of your most hated characters! But do so with honor and up hold the other commandments.

6. You will apply the downsmash liberally with characters which will allow it! Don't allow them to escape you.

7. Capture and punish all opposition, but keep no prisoners.

8. You will fight with spirit and finish your opponent dynamically! Vocalise your triumphs, congratulate good opponents, and laugh at spammers. Taunt before a game set to finish the match.

9. You will have fun and try not be be generic! Mix and match your attack patterns and try not to be learnt! and if you do, give them more learning with a new approach.

10. You will return fire with karma! If you opponent spams, figure out something which negates which they spam, and spam it to them, so they know they cannot win with it alone.

11. You will become wise with more than a handful of characters! Don't focus you skill on one. focus it on more!

12. If you lose, and the opponent is real and did not adhere to these rules, challenge them to do the same and see the results of honorable game play. Else fight the player again until you win, and therefore continue to do so to prove your worth.

13. Finally, you shall not chicken out. If you're losing, fight with more strength and focus and give them hell before you die.

...savvy? ...yes I know I went all god like. but that's sorta what these are like to me. Rules of engagement in my gaming style.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This list is stupid and is only accurate for those who don't want to win.

archesjames

Smash Rookie
This commandments r good to follow.but my views r little bit different from others.
1.Start early go slow,
2. play safe,
3. Time my opponent out even if it's not necessary.
4. Take yr own time to win or accomplished the Challenge.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
1. Thou shalt play to win.
2. Thou shall not john.
3. Thou shallten learn from ye ol' experiences.

And OP's #1 and #10 contradict each other, unless I'm reading wrong.

Jun.

Smash Lord
its threads like this that ruin the legitimacy of the Brawl boards. Does nothing to improve or progress the metagame but instead hinders it through over repeated topics and excuses.

edit: Oh yeah I forgot that there are casual brawl players on these boards.... carry on

Beefster

Smash Rookie
Scrub... No johns.

You have obviously not played as or against an Olimar. The only thing that sort of applies to Oli is DSmash- but it's a "get away" type move.

My Commandments:
Thou shalt not use Meta Knight
Thou shalt play to win
Thou shalt teabag instead of taunting
Thou shalt use DI
Thou shalt not john

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Heh, mine! I dunno, I feel like joining in...

1) Thou shalt give your opponent all you've got, even if they have just started playing. Holding back is dishonorable!
2) Thou shalt not taunt nor 'celebrate' by spamming attacks when you successfully KO your opponent. Instead, thou shalt find a good position in which to get ready for your opponent when they return.
3) Thou shalt not use MK if you feel like you'll never win. Practice makes perfect, and a good character will lead you places!
4) Thou shalt john only if the john is true... If you're mashing a button the wrong way and pinch a nerve (and suffer the stabbing pain), then it is a good time to let them know you're in pain, and not after you lose a match.
5) Thou shalt loop to the #1 commandment and read all 5 again.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
This is an interesting topic to see how others treat what I believe is the most honorable of contests: a decisive duel.

Thou shalt not sandbag.
Thou shalt not defy the standard ruleset.
Thou shalt not fight dishonorably.
Thou shalt not disrespect thy opponent.
Thou shalt not taunt excessively.
Thou shalt not john.
Thou shalt not rely on Meta Knight to win a difficult match.
Thou shalt not mention tiers.
Thou shalt use ATs.
Thou shalt place winning above all else, so long as thy follow this writ.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
1. Thou shall Falcon Pawnch :metaknight: after booting up the game.
Probably the best advice I've heard.

Well on topic:
1. Thou shalt not ragequit. Play it out to the end; you never know what will happen.
2. ALWAYS taunt after a flashy kill, unless you have a move you could charge up.
3. Thou shalt pursue their opponent offstage to try to GIMPIFY

:088:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
1) Thou shall have fun.
2) Thou shall win by any means feasible.
3) If 1 is Broken, 2 shall become meaningless.
4) Thou shall make those with honor systems ragequit.

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
I don't need anyone who says win just to win. those are competitive ******* ideas. If you take your games seriously, fight properly instead of just working your cheapness.

and I have no need for a competitive setting because there is no such thing around here. My only thoughts with fighting games is to win fair and square without the need of overusing such meaningless attacks.

A variety of attack and winning to me is a lot more satisfying that spamming one move over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over then finishing with a different one then repeating.

If you cannot win without spamming, you will never be a friend to me, and should probably just flame me one more time before leaving this thread in peace. the only time it's good to spam is when the other spams and you have a move which negates what they spam. And I don't rage quit. I rage win, or die trying. and then challenge you to play like me and see the difference.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I don't need anyone who says win just to win. those are competitive ******* ideas. If you take your games seriously, fight properly instead of just working your cheapness.

and I have no need for a competitive setting because there is no such thing around here. My only thoughts with fighting games is to win fair and square without the need of overusing such meaningless attacks.

A variety of attack and winning to me is a lot more satisfying that spamming one move over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over then finishing with a different one then repeating.

If you cannot win without spamming, you will never be a friend to me, and should probably just flame me one more time before leaving this thread in peace. the only time it's good to spam is when the other spams and you have a move which negates what they spam. And I don't rage quit. I rage win, or die trying. and then challenge you to play like me and see the difference.

You do realise where you are, right?

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll start. I just want to see what diversity in strategy we have here cause I'm curious if i'm the only one with this kind of play style and what others are around.

Darkmega's Brawl commandments:
1. Thou shall not spam projectiles or moves which others do! Fight your opponent head on and show your skill, or die trying. Do not be cowardly and hide behind a barrage of arrows and tricks. Run out to meet your opponent.
It takes skill to effectively camp a good player BTW, if you can outcamp someone with no skill, chances are you're on Wifi or are playing an idiot or something like that. Also, there is no "proper" way to fight.

Jun.

Smash Lord
if you don't like getting camped

you are playing the wrong game.

Even the top players in the world camp the metagame...

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Well, too bad. The competitive scene exists and M2K makin dat moneyy.

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
well, all my friends I play against don't camp projectiles even if they've mained someone who is full of them. the most thing they'd spam is something you need to get in their face with like pika's down B or perfectly placed skull bashes and down smashes. that's fine, cause that's my type of "camping", projectiles are just lame.
cause even a friend who has mained link and all his projectile like tricks hardly uses them and he fights me head on like I do and he wins every now and then, even if he doesn't even have brawl of his own.
I tend to lose against computers who don't spam also and I don't care cause they faced me properly, but the ones that do feel my wrath one way or another once I get around them. Some balance it out too, like the starfox characters they spam at a range a little then once you're preocupied dodging and getting around they catch you off with normal attacks, which is just about how I'd use projectiles also.
My charge shots with certain characters are also not wasted caused they're used to the teeth as "present shots" I've come to call them.

@kaffei: well it doesn't exist here except for casual tournies me and my friends may hold with ourselves and others. They're mainly just free games anyways or just casual "who's the best atm" times... mind you it tends to always be me winning, but else were I'm not even the top 1000th, but here atleast I know locally until proven otherwise I'm #1 mostly, but there is often an arguement with my main friend we're equal skill usually.
@junki: and no junki, I'm not playing the wrong game. I don't give a care about top players either, cause there's none down here that I know of and probably never will be. I don't find many smash players here except the minor few who get randomly addicted to smash during our smash64 time a few years ago which was what got most of me and my friends going.

@Phir: proper is merely a point of view. there's hundreds of proper playing styles but obviously none will appeal to you except the one you've chosen to take. so all your competive or serious players who I will mostly never fight in the game, do as you wish with your style and I won't try and stop you. this is merely my play style.

@Mecakoto: Unless you mean smash boards with all you guys, no, I don't. tell me...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
There's absolutely nothing wrong about stating your opinions, but what Mecakoto is getting at is that this is the hub for competitive Smash. Meaning, most people will label you as a scrub when you express your opinions.

What you said in response to Phir was actually really the right thing though, play the game however the hell you want. Just don't expect hugs from people that don't agree with you.

Wow, I sound mad in that post. I'm not, and it's too late I'm too lazy to try to rephrase it. Carry on.

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
There's absolutely nothing wrong about stating your opinions, but what Mecakoto is getting at is that this is the hub for competitive Smash. Meaning, most people will label you as a scrub when you express your opinions.

What you said in response to Phir was actually really the right thing though, play the game however the hell you want. Just don't expect hugs from people that don't agree with you.

Wow, I sound mad in that post. I'm not, and it's too late I'm too lazy to try to rephrase it. Carry on.
Meh, which is why I'm on the verge of asking if they can make a section for casual players who don't care about competitive play either because they can't or it's not in their gaming styles or whatever.

and yeah, that's what I'm getting at, this is opinion and nothing else... Agree if you shall (though I doubt it), disagree like most of you are, argue your points, but time marches on, right on time... (why did I just semi quote Aeon from castlevania judgement?)

supermarioluvr13

Smash Rookie
Thou shalt not be snake and stand off away from everyone sending guided missiles.
Thou shalt not derate a character just because you lose with them once.
Thou shalt not determine which character to play by tier lists or other people's suggestions, but by who you are strongest with.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1.Thou shalt kick ***
2. If thou not kick ***, thou shalt pick Meat Nite
3. If thou still loses, shout into thoust opponent's hearingal lobe when thoust about to lose stock.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
wow lotta scrubs...

1. Thou shalt be as cheap as possible
2. Thou shalt exploit all knowledge you have and your opponent doesn't
3. Thou shalt do whatever it takes to win
4. Thou shalt not give up regardless of the odds

Vex514

Smash Cadet
I really like this threads idea, and I thought I was weird.

1. Do not taunt unless playing Ike, and then only the side taunt as you are letting your opponent know that they should "Prepare" themselves.
-1.5. Exception to rule 1. If opponent is an absolute jerk, taunt him as much as possible even if it costs you stocks.

2. No johns
-1.5. Exception to rule 1. Unless you have a friend named John, he is allowed to play.

3. Never take it easy on someone. If your taking it easy on someone, your practically insulting their ability to play. Take every match seriously if your playing your serious characters.

4. Don't play cheap unless it is mandatory. Just because you can spam doesn't mean you should. If you need to spam however, the by all means spam but only when necessary.

That's pretty much it Brawl wise. Just be a respectable player is all :D

theunabletable

Smash Lord
This thread is funny.

In friendlies... have fun try and learn and generally try your hardest (although, I mean, no one wants to wait for 8 minute matches in friendlies... I mean time people out if you must, but if you're timing people out in friendlies... you're just wasting time lol).

In tourneyplay? Do whatever is within your power within the game to win.

camden

Smash Apprentice
1. Thou shalt be revived thrice upon death.
2. Thou shalt not cast unnatural stones and swords.
3. Thou shalt praise Fox and accept him as thy Saviour.
4. Thou shalt only wage war on Final Destination.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
1. Win. It means you are improving.
2. Lose. It means you can still improve.
3. Punish. You will predict better.
4. Get punished. You will be less predictable.
5. Play you're hardest. Automatically nullifies any internal johns.
6. Play for fun. It is a game, after all. Sometimes.
7. Play in tourneys. They add community and are the best way to show them your moves.
8. Play in friendlies. They are laid back and are the best way to gain match-up experience.
9. Browse Smashboards. Because the entire internet is discovering AT's, just for you!
10. Post on Smashboards. Because the entire internet can hear you're two cents!

Tourney honor code: If its not banned, it's perfectly reasonable. If it should be banned but isn't, its still perfectly reasonable.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
well, all my friends I play against don't camp projectiles even if they've mained someone who is full of them. the most thing they'd spam is something you need to get in their face with like pika's down B or perfectly placed skull bashes and down smashes. that's fine, cause that's my type of "camping", projectiles are just lame.
cause even a friend who has mained link and all his projectile like tricks hardly uses them and he fights me head on like I do and he wins every now and then, even if he doesn't even have brawl of his own.
I tend to lose against computers who don't spam also and I don't care cause they faced me properly, but the ones that do feel my wrath one way or another once I get around them. Some balance it out too, like the starfox characters they spam at a range a little then once you're preocupied dodging and getting around they catch you off with normal attacks, which is just about how I'd use projectiles also.
My charge shots with certain characters are also not wasted caused they're used to the teeth as "present shots" I've come to call them.

@kaffei: well it doesn't exist here except for casual tournies me and my friends may hold with ourselves and others. They're mainly just free games anyways or just casual "who's the best atm" times... mind you it tends to always be me winning, but else were I'm not even the top 1000th, but here atleast I know locally until proven otherwise I'm #1 mostly, but there is often an arguement with my main friend we're equal skill usually.
@junki: and no junki, I'm not playing the wrong game. I don't give a care about top players either, cause there's none down here that I know of and probably never will be. I don't find many smash players here except the minor few who get randomly addicted to smash during our smash64 time a few years ago which was what got most of me and my friends going.

@Phir: proper is merely a point of view. there's hundreds of proper playing styles but obviously none will appeal to you except the one you've chosen to take. so all your competive or serious players who I will mostly never fight in the game, do as you wish with your style and I won't try and stop you. this is merely my play style.

@Mecakoto: Unless you mean smash boards with all you guys, no, I don't. tell me...
A lot of us here don't care about your local tournies. SWF has people who go to real, big, competitive tournaments. A Link without projectiles is like a soldier without his gun. Brawl is a really campy game. It's not like Melee where you can combo your balls off.

"I'm going to limit my skills because I think it's cheap and cowardly". That is a scrub's way of thinking.

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
1. Win. It means you are improving.
2. Lose. It means you can still improve.
3. Punish. You will predict better.
4. Get punished. You will be less predictable.
5. Play you're hardest. Automatically nullifies any internal johns.
6. Play for fun. It is a game, after all. Sometimes.
7. Play in tourneys. They add community and are the best way to show them your moves.
8. Play in friendlies. They are laid back and are the best way to gain match-up experience.
9. Browse Smashboards. Because the entire internet is discovering AT's, just for you!
10. Post on Smashboards. Because the entire internet can hear you're two cents!

Tourney honor code: If its not banned, it's perfectly reasonable. If it should be banned but isn't, its still perfectly reasonable.
As far as most of them go, sure that's good. Tourneys IF you do them, I suppose it's fine to do whatever, but cause I don't do competitions cause like mentioned numbers of times, it's not. unless of course it's a spam match in which case those are exceptions. Cause i do have a couple of spam you *** off matches just for "fun".

1. Thou shalt be revived thrice upon death.
2. Thou shalt not cast unnatural stones and swords.
3. Thou shalt praise Fox and accept him as thy Saviour.
4. Thou shalt only wage war on Final Destination.
Yup, sounds right. Fox, hmmm, if I could use him, perhaps I would, final dest in a given. any other stages are mainly just for fun, but where you're practicing and doing ****, FS is the best.

This thread is funny.

In friendlies... have fun try and learn and generally try your hardest (although, I mean, no one wants to wait for 8 minute matches in friendlies... I mean time people out if you must, but if you're timing people out in friendlies... you're just wasting time lol).

In tourneyplay? Do whatever is within your power within the game to win.
very well. tourney gaming commandments obviously change. but yes, just fight because you're fighting etc in friendlies/practices/fun matches.

1. thou shall have fun
2. thou shall do thy best
3. if thou doesn't 1 then thou won't 2
lol?

I really like this threads idea, and I thought I was weird.

1. Do not taunt unless playing Ike, and then only the side taunt as you are letting your opponent know that they should "Prepare" themselves.
-1.5. Exception to rule 1. If opponent is an absolute jerk, taunt him as much as possible even if it costs you stocks.

2. No johns
-1.5. Exception to rule 1. Unless you have a friend named John, he is allowed to play.

3. Never take it easy on someone. If your taking it easy on someone, your practically insulting their ability to play. Take every match seriously if your playing your serious characters.

4. Don't play cheap unless it is mandatory. Just because you can spam doesn't mean you should. If you need to spam however, the by all means spam but only when necessary.

That's pretty much it Brawl wise. Just be a respectable player is all :D
yeah, thats it for me too. 4 is like my 10. only spam if you need to spam, in which case it's to return karma to the person who is spamming the revert back when they've learn if they do learn.

someones gotta teach me what a john is if that's any specific type of player...

I never do take it easy when i play my mains. My mains are honorable players which deserve to keep their honor by winning if i use them. Meaning it's all out when i use one of them. (yes I do many mains. sue me. :p cause most of them are lower teir, other than dedede and MK)

Thou shalt not be snake and stand off away from everyone sending guided missiles.
Thou shalt not derate a character just because you lose with them once.
Thou shalt not determine which character to play by tier lists or other people's suggestions, but by who you are strongest with.
well said mah boi....darn youtube poop quotes. -.- but with snake it's mainly just laying down endless barrages of traps and explosive projectiles and mines of all sorts. -.- and I never derate a character, I only derate them if I lose to them :p

1.Thou shalt kick ***
2. If thou not kick ***, thou shalt pick Meat Nite
3. If thou still loses, shout into thoust opponent's hearingal lobe when thoust about to lose stock.
FAIL! but that's somewhat epic. it's the way you kick the *** though.

note I ignored the flaming competitors with their scrub rants. But yes the falcon punch metaknight upon start-up was a classic. XD

Top Bottom