• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

Cinder

Smash Master
Compstomping in Melee is more fun than playing Brawl with friends.
XD
Dude...getting your teeth drilled without any form of sedation while getting punched in the nuts repeatedly while acid slowly drips onto your forehead is more fun than playing Brawl with friends...

And one of my other favorite things about Melee is that I can actually play it without...y'know...falling asleep...*cough*

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Dude...getting your teeth drilled without any form of sedation while getting punched in the nuts repeatedly while acid slowly drips onto your forehead is more fun than playing Brawl with friends...

And one of my other favorite things about Melee is that I can actually play it without...y'know...falling asleep...*cough*
Hahahahaha so true.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
My favorite thing is that the people who play Melee aren't on a high horse about how "you just don't understand how deep and compelling Brawl really is. All you care about is winning. Brawl is better for the fun!"
That's all fine and dandy, but a competition isn't judged by who's having the most fun.

N64

Smash Champion
My favorite thing about melee is that it just keeps getting better. The more I play, the better I get, the more awesome the game is.

Stratford

Smash Champion
I like it because there's no end in sight to how much better I can get. Also what Marth says in his taunt and victory screen quotations.

noodles

Smash Champion
until you reach a point where theres not much to improve on(besides tech skill) it just becomes rock paper scissors but with like three hands as opposed to one hand in brawl. though that point is reached faster in brawl due to the overall lack of options in the game, one hand, is that an accurate analogy? thats the way i see it anyway >.>

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
My favorite thing is that the people who play Melee aren't on a high horse about how "you just don't understand how deep and compelling Brawl really is. All you care about is winning. Brawl is better for the fun!"
That's all fine and dandy, but a competition isn't judged by who's having the most fun.
If I had more fun playing Brawl, I would be playing Brawl.

Thankfully I have more fun playing Melee.

My favorite thing about melee is that it just keeps getting better. The more I play, the better I get, the more awesome the game is.
YES!!

In melee, skill level is directly proportional to amount of fun had. In Brawl, it is inversely proportional. At least for me.

until you reach a point where theres not much to improve on(besides tech skill) it just becomes rock paper scissors but with like three hands as opposed to one hand in brawl. though that point is reached faster in brawl due to the overall lack of options in the game, one hand, is that an accurate analogy? thats the way i see it anyway >.>
Melee and brawl both have rock-paper-scissors like gameplay (shield beats attack, Attack beats grab, grab beats shield, except in brawl you can beat a grab with shield by spot-dodging, which makes shielding the best option and is one of my main problems with the game.) In melee, you can beat scissors with paper sometimes. Just because you attack someone's shield doesn't mean you will get shieldgrabbed. And there's edgeguarding, which doesn't follow too much of a RPS format.

Anyway, there's TONS more to improve on after you've mastered tech skill. So much analysis and tactics it boggles my mind. To me, mastering the techs was just the beginning... Brawl's where I felt like I had nothing more to master. Run up > shield > grab > chaingrab... Oh look, I just placed in the top half of multiple brawl tournaments! What now?

noodles

Smash Champion
If I had more fun playing Brawl, I would be playing Brawl.

Thankfully I have more fun playing Melee.

YES!!

In melee, skill level is directly proportional to amount of fun had. In Brawl, it is inversely proportional. At least for me.

Melee and brawl both have rock-paper-scissors like gameplay (shield beats attack, Attack beats grab, grab beats shield, except in brawl you can beat a grab with shield by spot-dodging, which makes shielding the best option and is one of my main problems with the game.) In melee, you can beat scissors with paper sometimes. Just because you attack someone's shield doesn't mean you will get shieldgrabbed. And there's edgeguarding, which doesn't follow too much of a RPS format.

Anyway, there's TONS more to improve on after you've mastered tech skill. So much analysis and tactics it boggles my mind. To me, mastering the techs was just the beginning... Brawl's where I felt like I had nothing more to master. Run up > shield > grab > chaingrab... Oh look, I just placed in the top half of multiple brawl tournaments! What now?
its like, impossible to master tech skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeaC7M3oo

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
its like, impossible to master tech skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeaC7M3oo
I know that tech skill can always be improved, and I've seen all those videos before. By mastering I meant being able to perform shffling/wavedashing/combos/etc quickly and consistently enough that you're opponent won't have a significant advantage over you through tech skill alone. You're missing the point because you're just nitpicking at insignificant details.

But you seem like you know what you're talking about, so I guess I can't really say anything more that you won't already know.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Melee is so much fun.

I mean, I only played Brawl for a month, and I got kinda bored of it.

I've been playing Melee since 2001, and I'm still going strong~

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
the fact that even if you know all the at's and stuff, you still wouldn't be the best.

also known as MINDGAMES AND PREDICTION

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
the fact that even if you know all the at's and stuff, you still wouldn't be the best.

also known as MINDGAMES AND PREDICTION
This is true.

I also feel like once you become competitive and learn all those things and master them, there's a great sense of accomplishment as you dominate everyone else.

'Fro

Smash Lord
What I love is that every time you play is an adventure. There are so many ways to go about playing Melee that can all work when correctly applied. Also, the Melee community is simply one of the greatest video gaming communities ever.

Top Bottom