• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats with the camping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
overswarm are you high? you camped in melee like hell and sucked in it. now you have brawl where all offensive abilities yield little to no reward and defense and camping are the way to play. you have the game YOU wanted. the game you tried to make melee, when it clearly wasn't. now most everyone that was good at melee sees brawl for what it is and they don't like it.

I don't play brawl because it's campier than melee throughout the entire match. It's so slow and dumb downed I just find it boring.
I came into Melee late and did better than most. Kel, Sliq, and I all came in late and we all progressed pretty far. I beat more than my fair share of strong opponents and wasn't an easy victory for anyone save for the best of the best, such as M2K. I won a few tournamnets, placed highly in others, but mostly played Melee in preperation for Brawl.

I never placed below top 32 at any tournament and consistently rose in placing throughout my tournament career.

Now Brawl is out, and I have devoted serious time and thought to it.

To anyone that thinks camping is the winning strategy, I offer you a $20 money match. The only thing is, YOU have to camp. Non-stop. None of that approaching stuff. If you're so confident that camping is the best strategy, prove it. This will be in person at a tournament, and good luck.

Most everyone that was good at Melee is pissed because they aren't good at a new game. I've learned more about Brawl than most of the melee pros probably ever will; they'll all quit before they learn what I already have. I feel like most of the melee pros must have felt when noobs posted "Marth is broken against Falco because he can chain grab Falco".

There's a whole slew of noobs in this thread that were good in a totally different game and expect their knowledge from the previous game to carry over. Problem is, they haven't figured out what does carry over and what doesn't. Evolve. Get better.

and Brightside, do you play 3S? Because I do. I'm a little rusty at it since I haven't picked it up, but I'll lug my 360 to a tournament for a MM against you in it if you want ;)

Finch

Smash Lord
You say that melee supporters are ignorant, and that our cries of "brawl is gay because you have to camp to win" are wrong. You claim to have a much higher understanding of the game, yet all you do is camp. What do you know better than us? If camping isn't really the best strategy, why is it your strategy? I just don't understand your logic, and I'm sure we would all love a reason to like Brawl. No one wants to get left behind, but we don't want to move on to something worse.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Brawl is more strategic than Melee. Believe it.
I don't think you can say that, as

1) I doubt you played the older game competitively, and
2) Brawl just came out.

That is, you can say it all you want, doesn't make it true just yet.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You say that melee supporters are ignorant, and that our cries of "brawl is gay because you have to camp to win" are wrong. You claim to have a much higher understanding of the game, yet all you do is camp. What do you know better than us? If camping isn't really the best strategy, why is it your strategy? I just don't understand your logic, and I'm sure we would all love a reason to like Brawl. No one wants to get left behind, but we don't want to move on to something worse.
Camping is my strategy against people that don't know how to do anything about it.

It's the same reason my strategy in Melee against noobs was to just gimp them over and over again. It's safer and more effective than actually trying to play, and if they DO finally figure it out they have a whole new ball game to worry about.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
is it me or has everyone's "Brawl" and "Melee" swapped places

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
This definitely has to be an April Fool's joke.

"I came into Brawl late and did better than most. Kel, Sliq, and I all came in late and we all progressed pretty far. I beat more than my fare share of strong opponents and wasn't an easy victory for anyone save for the best of the best, such as M2K. I won a few tournamnets, placed highly in others, but mostly played Brawl in preperation for Melee.

I never placed below top 32 at any tournament and consistently rose in placing throughout my tournament career.

Now Melee is out, and I have devoted serious Stock and thought to it." - Overswarm

"don't think you can say that, as

1) I doubt you played the older game competitively, and
2) Melee just came out." - Kirbstir

"You say that Brawl supporters are ignorant, and that our cries of "Melee is gay because you have to camp to win" are wrong." - Finch

EDIT: Yeah, see when I posted, everyone was back in the right place. I'm editing now and things are switched. It has to be an April Fool's joke. Test it out by typing Brawl in a sentence, and then posting, and then watching it turn into Melee.

Maybe it is just me, but everyone's "Melee" and "Brawl" has been interchanged.

Big_R

Smash Champion
No one says camping the ENTIRE time is the best strat. But brawl is camp for the majority of the game and trying to fake people into a miss and capitalize with your own attack. the only problem is you have to work so hard to do that and you only get a hit or two if you're lucky. This is boring to me.

also rofl at comparing you or kel to sliq. Sliq was clearly much better than both of you.

It's like you're arguing that camping isn't how brawl is played, when you can't even back that up. "Uhhh, yeah I camp cuz ppl can't beat it". Duh, cuz that's how this game is played and how it will probably be played forever. You can get caught up on terminology and argue for camping or you can accept what we say because you know it's true. Whatever you want to call ssbb's style of play the bottom line is that it's boring to people and they find ssbm a more fun and competitive game.

If this doesn't switch back tomorrow then I'm sure everyone knows to switch out melee and brawl wherever you see camping pretty much. lol

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Camping is my strategy against people that don't know how to do anything about it.

It's the same reason my strategy in Melee against noobs was to just gimp them over and over again. It's safer and more effective than actually trying to play, and if they DO finally figure it out they have a whole new ball game to worry about.
I don't have a problem playing against overswarm at all, camping isn't broken in Brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't have a problem playing against overswarm at all, camping isn't broken in Brawl.
Nor does Joel or anyone else that is halfway decent.

I destroyed BigR repeatedly in tournament and friendly matches by camping in Melee (the 2nd smash game) and would do the same in Brawl (the 3rd smash game). The reason is not that I was using or am using a "broken strategy". BigR wasn't good enough to get around the strategies I used. Others were. Deal with it, learn, adapt, move on.

I camp a lot. I do it because I enjoy it, and because it is incredibly effective against those that don't know anything about actually playing strategically. Why expend a ton of effort throwing out combos and reading your opponent when you can destroy them by pressing "b" from the other side of the stage? I'll take the safest route, thank you.

Playing online, yeah, it might very well be the best strategy; it was hard for even Azen to get past my ledge camping because there was such a small window of time due to lag.

But in person?

There are two reasons camping can occur.

1. The matchup calls for it.

ROB vs. Snake does this. They can't really approach each other physically or they'll get destroyed by the slightest mistake, so they just projectile spam and try to force the other to approach.

2. The opponent is a noob

I couldn't camp against Iggy. I couldn't camp against Joel.

Iggy has not been tearing up the Brawl tournament scene like Joel has. Why can I still not camp against Iggy?

Iggy knows how to camp! He knows what beats it! He knows when to approach!

Pay attention to that. Watch games of "notorious campers" such as myself and ask yourself if it is really THAT unbeatable. It isn't. It takes maybe 5 brain cells to realize no one can camp on the ledge in this game because you can just hug the edge yourself the moment they jump off.

This entire thread is just a compendium of bad Brawl players complaining because they don't know how to play their new game.

Oh, and Big R? My record against Sliq in tournament is 1-0, my favor. We beat each other repeatedly in friendlies. I'd say he was better than me, but not by so large a margin as you seem to imply. We were all good, and we're going to be better in Brawl. That's the entire reason Kel and I even played Melee; we wanted a good starting point for Brawl.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I really only play Pit competitively... However camping should be situational. I don't really know if I'm a campy Pit but I know it's a part of my strategy which is to keep my opponent completely off balance. Characters like Pit can attack continuously by running in, Powershielding into one of his many attacks. Rack up the damage against your opponent and either smash them away or retreat momentarily and spam arrows for a few seconds only to repeat the process.

However I have seen Pits only look for opportunities to escape their opponents so they can spam safely. I'll be honest I have resorted to spammy Pit during some tough matches against Marth. Though even then I doubt it was as bad as what I've seen on YouTube and the such.

Oh and one more thing. I dare ANYONE to play as Pit on Green Hill Zone and not succumb to the temptation to spam arrows. The checkpoints are just too irresistible.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
The camping gets boring as hell. **** near falling asleep from boredom in the middle of tourney match is funny and sad at the same time.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
does overswarm have friends?
I can't think of anyone in the Midwest that doesn't like Overswarm.

The camping gets boring as hell. **** near falling asleep from boredom in the middle of tourney match is funny and sad at the same time.
This is the reason why people don't like camping, they think it makes the game boring and slow, so most people(who don't know how to deal with it) run into exactly what the camper wants time after time.

Besides, the definition of camping is broad anyway, a lot of people would say a Marth sitting under a platform on battlefield is just positioning himself well, but I'd say he's camping. You can also camp near the edges on a lot of stages, or on ledges but that doesn't really work. My favorite is playing some people on my wii friend list that have anti-camping comments, and they themselves are some of the campiest players I've seen.

All it takes to overcome camping is for you to think about what they're doing, and how you can exploit what they're doing. Once you do that, you can stop their camp. The only real exceptions to this is a faster character running away from you constantly on a circular path stage. Not really anything you can do to that, other than pray they trip a lot more than you I suppose.

BIG C

Smash Master
Thank you Iggy I was going to post something along the lines of that earlier it was like 5 paragraphs though and then I hit back on my mouse and it was like PWNED!

Brawl isn't about camping as much as "Air Control" like jigglypuff in melee. Potentially making most competitive matches incredibly boring like jigglypuff dittos were in melee. There really is never a reason to advance unless you are playing as like MetaKnight, Marth, Game n' Watch, and Wario. Oh and Kirby until you get your opponents powers. As far of the rest of the characters it is wading in and out waiting for an attack some people don't view this as camping but I do just like Dash Dance camping in melee which I happened to do.

My main concern in Brawl is the jiggly effect in most matches the real reason the chars that most view as the top of the tier list is because they are the ones that can close in and attack or go through most characters projectiles or moves with their moves. If the characters can't do that and are at the top it's because they camp and space quite well. To me the new physics and whatnot completely ruined the game's excitement and spark for singles I still quite enjoy the teams part of the game just because it doesn't result in two people just trying to attack and missing to get hit.

Also I'm not that bad at Brawl but I'm not that good either this is not why I dislike the competitive game because quite frankly I was above average in Melee but I never got to be like good good but I still enjoy that game in all aspects to this day. It's just that Brawl literally feels like Jigglypuff dittos almost every game which is terrible IMO. The lack of hitstun ruins the combo game sure you can argue you get combos in Brawl, but in all honesty they aren't combos I have gotten combos but I know it's because my opponent messed up more than me actually being good. Having to chase your opponent across the stage to get a hit isn't really a combo if you want proof of this watch any combo video where someone does it in melee they get dogged on for it.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i played overswarm at the top of MW tourney and simply played patiently and attacked at the right times and retreated at the right times. I won 3-1. i think camping is beatable in brawl, you just have to look at the match differently instead of going nonstop aggression.

i've been doing incredibly well in the MW and my thoughts on brawl change daily. some days I think wow this game is bad and boring and i dont want to play it and some days i feel that it's totally my kind of game and that it has some serious depth that people are overlooking if they try some alternative playstyles (not camping but popping in for hits then retreating, and smart use of waiting)

i don't know yet. we'll see. hopefully there's an FC this year and we can see what the top of the nation strats are.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Thank you Iggy I was going to post something similar post deleted
Yeah, same thing happened to me too, I really should just start typing my posts in notepad, then pasting them.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Nor does Joel or anyone else that is halfway decent.

I destroyed BigR repeatedly in tournament and friendly matches by camping in Melee (the 2nd smash game) and would do the same in Brawl (the 3rd smash game). The reason is not that I was using or am using a "broken strategy". BigR wasn't good enough to get around the strategies I used. Others were. Deal with it, learn, adapt, move on.

I camp a lot. I do it because I enjoy it, and because it is incredibly effective against those that don't know anything about actually playing strategically. Why expend a ton of effort throwing out combos and reading your opponent when you can destroy them by pressing "b" from the other side of the stage? I'll take the safest route, thank you.

Playing online, yeah, it might very well be the best strategy; it was hard for even Azen to get past my ledge camping because there was such a small window of time due to lag.

But in person?

There are two reasons camping can occur.

1. The matchup calls for it.

ROB vs. Snake does this. They can't really approach each other physically or they'll get destroyed by the slightest mistake, so they just projectile spam and try to force the other to approach.

2. The opponent is a noob

I couldn't camp against Iggy. I couldn't camp against Joel.

Iggy has not been tearing up the Brawl tournament scene like Joel has. Why can I still not camp against Iggy?

Iggy knows how to camp! He knows what beats it! He knows when to approach!

Pay attention to that. Watch games of "notorious campers" such as myself and ask yourself if it is really THAT unbeatable. It isn't. It takes maybe 5 brain cells to realize no one can camp on the ledge in this game because you can just hug the edge yourself the moment they jump off.

This entire thread is just a compendium of bad Brawl players complaining because they don't know how to play their new game.

Oh, and Big R? My record against Sliq in tournament is 1-0, my favor. We beat each other repeatedly in friendlies. I'd say he was better than me, but not by so large a margin as you seem to imply. We were all good, and we're going to be better in Brawl. That's the entire reason Kel and I even played Melee; we wanted a good starting point for Brawl.
Well to this I would say play me in melee now because I will mm whenever. We haven't [;ayed in so long so get that **** outta here. You beat me in like, my first and maybe 4th tournaments. more later gotta go

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well to this I would say play me in melee now because I will mm whenever. We haven't [;ayed in so long so get that **** outta here. You beat me in like, my first and maybe 4th tournaments. more later gotta go
That's like someone challenging a guy in Smash 64 and hoping to prove something. Melee is dead, sir.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Melee will never die.

Clinging onto life is not the same as living.

Least offensive picture I can show that emphasizes that theme. That cow is sick and dying. Melee is sick and dying. It's lifeblood is gone, and as time goes on those that still cling to it will stop playing it. A decade later, Melee will be nothing more than a slight memory. It has happened a dozen times before and will happen a dozen times again. I've already gone through it more than once

-_-;;

Maybe in the midwest. East Coast is still running melee tournaments...just less frequently
Good to hear the East Coast will suck this time around ;)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol SF2 not alive?

yea right... thats why they're making a HD version of the game
SFII is about as alive as Mario one. All of SRK have large events that host multiple games, each game holding about as much as a local smash event. SFII, the original especially, is long dead and gone.

But if you notice closely, I was refering to the animated move so it is a moot point ;)

Also, I agree with Brookman.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
SFII is about as alive as Mario one. All of SRK have large events that host multiple games, each game holding about as much as a local smash event. SFII, the original especially, is long dead and gone.
uh, LOL?

anyways good Job winning Overswarm. That Rob looks tough to fight. :psycho:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Uhhh...SF is very alive.

I mean doesn't Japan have televised tournies for ST?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
SFII is very popular for its fast paced matches and how basic everything is (and the best players still consistently win.)

Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger! Tiger!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Uhhh...SF is very alive.

I mean doesn't Japan have televised tournies for ST?
We are in America, and the largest Street Fighter events pale in comparison to other competitive games.

Hell, MLG just picks up a random game like RV6 or GoW and it eclipses the entire SF community.

SF has a very dedicated following, but a very small following. People are leaving that group, not joining.

SF 4 will more than likely change that (hopefully), but as of right now, yes, it is a dying community.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you cant put all the SF players in a single community

usually ST players dont really like 3S and vice versa

kinda what we see with Melee and Brawl today
I could combine all the SF community and their numbers would still be pretty small.

And we don't really see that with Melee / Brawl right now; I doubt Melee will stick around like the SF series has, but if it does we won't see how it will stick around for at least a year.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
LMAO@EC will suck overswarm. We were the best in Melee because we are very close knit and can travel and play each other often, helping us improve greatly. This hasn't changed, and MW is still huge as **** and will still suck because of this.

But dude, who the **** is going to announce the first national brawl tournament? its gotta be this summer...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
LMAO@EC will suck overswarm. We were the best in Melee because we are very close knit and can travel and play each other often, helping us improve greatly. This hasn't changed, and MW is still huge as **** and will still suck because of this.

But dude, who the **** is going to announce the first national brawl tournament? its gotta be this summer...
EC sucking was a joke, plank.

You've got Azen, how could you suck? =P

D20

Smash Lord
Don't forget KDJ. Who does the Midwest have? Camper Bob?

On second thought... you guys might **** at Brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Don't forget KDJ. Who does the Midwest have? Camper Bob?

On second thought... you guys might **** at Brawl.
From what I can see, each coast has about 4 people that have shown themselves to be "real good". Unfortuantely, this is the case when I split the entire East coast into "northeast" and "southeast", so the EC is looking pretty sharp. :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
well because I'm not an idiot I haven't really been judging other regions yet since the game just came out, but i can guarantee you in large tournaments in the future if we do regional crews EC will beat everyones ***** again, *****es.

^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom