• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
That's actually a very good point. It seems as though they are paying a lot of attention to detail in order to make this game look as nice as possible. The return of character intros would definitely be a welcome addition.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hmm, good point. If they pay attention to that sort of detail, our beloved intros should see a return. I found the current intros and the simple select picture to be very boring and lifeless. Changing crates and barrels go exactly against that.

Also, it occurred to me... you attack the rolling crates to make them roll. So maybe there'll at least be the *option* to turn off exploding containers. Because, really, nobody dares attacking something that could suddenly explode in their face.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm actually quite vicious when it comes to crates. That said if I'm playing with crates I'm not really playing seriously enough to care:p

Though being able to turn off explosive containers would be a good idea.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I said that because the exploding containers were the main reason items were banned. Without exploding containers, item tournaments would be more possible. It wouldn't replace the current way of competing, but it could be a separate thing. (Prepares to be flamed)

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I said that because the exploding containers were the main reason items were banned. Without exploding containers, item tournaments would be more possible. It wouldn't replace the current way of competing, but it could be a separate thing. (Prepares to be flamed)
FLAME ON!
No seriously, item tournaments are just.... bad. Winning a battle with items just sucks. One takes a hammer and owns you. One takes a baseball bat and owns you etc.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Too bad that that is true. Whatever they do to make items more awesome, the randomness would still mess up things.
I actually once, on GameFAQs, saw a text about how to use Pokemon. Not Pokeballs, Pokemon. Like, "use Lugia in the middle of the screen".
Newsflash, Einstein: Pokemon are RANDOM!!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
lol, i guess they really liked that part in the melee 'special movie' where a barrel is chasing mario down that hill...

and i have to say i like the different looking crates for different levels. i wonder why they didnt show capsules though? maybe they'll get rid of those?

oh, and i smell a ZSS update next...

Pip

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'd really like to see item tournaments. Not having items affects how some characters play a lot more than others. I would hope that with explosive containers turned off, the too powerful items (starman, hammer, healing items, etc.) turned off, and the too random in their effect items (pokeballs) turned off, the dramatic random effects of items would be mitigated enough to even out pretty consistently over the course of a best 2 out of 3 series of matches. Having an assortment of crap lying here and there would add another level of skill (yes, I honestly believe there can be a lot of skill involved in how one uses items) to the competitive scene that currently only exists in casual play.

*braces himself*

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wel lcant say im thrilled with the update, since we got yoshis island stage, fox AND ridleys theme all in one week, still gotta give a big hand to sakurai, the boxes and barrels switching lookin stages? GENIUS!!

lol at the sliding boxes, and FINALLY zamus is in a screenshot, im sure with that we'll get samus and zamus all in one update, showing how they transform and all :p

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, item tournaments...Not sure about this one. I do like the different style crates/barrells, and being able to make them not explode would be very nice for casual play, but item tournaments? It would be interesting, and I would love to see what leet players could do with a beam sword or fan in hand, but I don't think it will catch on. I think that items would require another tier set as well, because characters like shiek, fox, and samus have nice swings, and nice dash attacks with a weapon...Oh yeah, and IC's, 2 weapons, sick. I dont know, I could be wrong (probably am), but I think that item tournaments could possibly become something like low tier tournaments (only with specific items on however, no hammers, bats, stars, healing, etc.)

I

i8waffles612

I like the update .

looks like you can finally stand on top of the boxes

Pip

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, item tournaments...Not sure about this one. I do like the different style crates/barrells, and being able to make them not explode would be very nice for casual play, but item tournaments? It would be interesting, and I would love to see what leet players could do with a beam sword or fan in hand, but I don't think it will catch on. I think that items would require another tier set as well, because characters like shiek, fox, and samus have nice swings, and nice dash attacks with a weapon...Oh yeah, and IC's, 2 weapons, sick. I dont know, I could be wrong (probably am), but I think that item tournaments could possibly become something like low tier tournaments (only with specific items on however, no hammers, bats, stars, healing, etc.)
Precisely! I wasn't suggesting that they supplant standard, non-item tournaments. Rather I was hoping that a niche for them would develop, just as you suggested. Of course, it's all based on wild speculation anyway, but here's hoping they'll include an explosive containers switch in this one!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
She wasn't just in one shot, she was in 2 shots!=D

With the Metroid music and ZS Samus' appearance today, I hope that means we get a ZS Samus update soon, hopefully revealing how she is related to Samus (if she is indeed a transformation, the site was pretty vague about it).

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I wonder if for certain levels they will change them even more like in a Mario level make them ? Blocks and a roley Mario thing (Anyone got a suggestion for roley Mario thing?)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
She wasn't just in one shot, she was in 2 shots!=D

With the Metroid music and ZS Samus' appearance today, I hope that means we get a ZS Samus update soon, hopefully revealing how she is related to Samus (if she is indeed a transformation, the site was pretty vague about it).
I really hope the same but what I want to expect from this is htat sakurai will mention that samus is her own character apart from Zero-suit because IMO that would really suck if one of Samus's moves were to be replaced by a stupid transformation move

Stryks

Smash Hero
I doubt samus will transform into zamus by pressing a button like shiek, sakurai said under special conditions they will transform, I dount that condition is "If u tilt down and press b u'll transform!!"

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Very true, but many suggestions of how the transformation will work just don't seem like good ideas. The final smash one is far too situational, and if final smashes ended up being banned then ZS Samus becomes unplayable in tournaments. The suit breaking off is also situational, and means you can only play as ZS Samus at high %, and she doesn't look like she'll be very durable. Ideally, you should be able to change whenever you want, but that means taking away from one of Samus' moves, and none of which should be replaced, unless they allocate the transformation to a previously unused button.

So I agree that the best situation would be to just have ZS Samus have her own slot, which is why I hope that the comment on the old site was just a vague translation.

Still, all will be revealed with the ZS Samus update.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
i think zamus can absolutly not be a transformation. think about it thats like letting some one pick fox and falco as a character! the only reason zelda and shiek had it cuz zelda sux! (not all zelda players suck just in general) unless samus is to shiek as zamus is to zelda. does anyone agree?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
FLAME ON!
No seriously, item tournaments are just.... bad. Winning a battle with items just sucks. One takes a hammer and owns you. One takes a baseball bat and owns you etc.
You do know that those items are turned off, right? Same wit bob-ombs, healing items, and so on.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well luke even though thats the best idea, seeing how he said samus will transfrom under yadayadayada I doubt she'll [zamus] have her own slot, so we just gotta wait and c what happens...

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Futuristic Crates!?

LUKE SKYWALKER CONFIRMED
DARTH VADER CONFIRMED
CPT. SEAN LUC PICARD CONFIRMED
BENDER CONFIRMED
DR. TYRELL CONFIRMED
SOILENT GREEN CONFIRMED

Stryks

Smash Hero
Already told u, its the space craft u fight in were fox was revealed, its a star fox stage, ur on top a ship which u at 1st are in space, then the ship goes to the planet, watch the 2nd trailer...

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd really like to see item tournaments. Not having items affects how some characters play a lot more than others. I would hope that with explosive containers turned off, the too powerful items (starman, hammer, healing items, etc.) turned off, and the too random in their effect items (pokeballs) turned off, the dramatic random effects of items would be mitigated enough to even out pretty consistently over the course of a best 2 out of 3 series of matches. Having an assortment of crap lying here and there would add another level of skill (yes, I honestly believe there can be a lot of skill involved in how one uses items) to the competitive scene that currently only exists in casual play.

*braces himself*

Everything here is true, but items would have to spawn in the same places, possibly a pattern. Otherwise it will be "he just got lucky that a fan appeared next to him, I lost because of that." There's virtually no luck on SSBM tourney rules and we have to make sure it stays like that. But it oculd work. Only a few items on very low though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom