• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Now we know that stage is confirmed for sure^^ since some were speculating earlier that it might just have been a demo map, as some like that were shown in trailers for Melee but never appeared in the game.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Everything here is true, but items would have to spawn in the same places, possibly a pattern. Otherwise it will be "he just got lucky that a fan appeared next to him, I lost because of that." There's virtually no luck on SSBM tourney rules and we have to make sure it stays like that. But it oculd work. Only a few items on very low though.
The randomness of the items is akin to the "randomness" of (legal) stages such as Pokémon Stadium and Dream Land 64 (sorta). Remember, item tourneys wouldn't be the norm; they'd be like low-tier tournaments.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Everything here is true, but items would have to spawn in the same places, possibly a pattern. Otherwise it will be "he just got lucky that a fan appeared next to him, I lost because of that." There's virtually no luck on SSBM tourney rules and we have to make sure it stays like that. But it oculd work. Only a few items on very low though.
Sounds like an excuse to me honestly. This is why I think there's an advantage of being skilled WITH and without items. So you know how to handle them when items are thrown into the equation. With the exception of some things that really just need to plain be off from the get go (Starmen, healing items, cloaking device), nothing is as deadly as you think it is (save for a random explosion, which I hope is gone from Brawl).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Not really, people just don't like to play by something totally situational, it removes the need for a certain degree of skill.

It's like one minute this guy is getting owned, then a capsule lands on the other guy and kills him, wasting his hard work. I remember my friend lost a tournament because a crate rolled down and hit him while he was taunting. Now his opponent was practically dead, she was in the middle of a star KO but the barrel KO'd him horizontally, which is faster, and basically give the win to the girl.

Now when stuff like that happens to me it just pisses me off, that and when the camera zooms out just to show you that capsule. So when I want a serious match, items are off. When I'm screwing around, item X on, very high, with character X who I don't even play. It's fun either way but only fair one way.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
As long as the crates stop exploding so much, they could reasonably work in tournament play. Especially notable is the ability to stand on top of boxes now, which would cut down on certain stages being better with certain characters, which is nothing but annoying to me. They're like little destrucible platforms with items inside.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
When crates are sent rolling, since you can stand on them, does that mean you would be able to land on a crate in mid-air somehow for a safer/better recovery? I know it isn't confirmed but good speculation.

burrito

Smash Lord
SAMUS AND ZAMUS ARE SEPERATE CHARACTERS!

*ahem* Anyways, I wonder if those are the only alternate appearances that the crates and barrels will take on. Maybe if there are more retro NES levels like Mushroom Kingdom 1 & 2 from melee, the boxes and barrels will take on a pixelated appearance when playing them. If the Game & Watch level is brought back maybe they will take on the appearance of being on an LCD display. That would be neat.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
"The crates and boxes will change with each stage"

What a completely pointless update, such a waste of time. They should be improving the game mechanics, not this dumb item things...

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how many times people will have to say this, but they are the same character, Samus transforms into Zero Suit Samus 'under certain conditions'. It was stated on the site pre-update, and all we can do is leave it at that. It also shows her transform in the trailer. What is the point of them showing it, and stating it, if it's never going to happen??

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
What a completely pointless update, such a waste of time. They should be improving the game mechanics, not this dumb item things...
Seeing as how the crates now move, I'd call that a new game mechanic. Besides, I don't really care much for them to tinker around with what is already great game-play.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
I don't know how many times people will have to say this, but they are the same character, Samus transforms into Zero Suit Samus 'under certain conditions'. It was stated on the site pre-update, and all we can do is leave it at that.
There are two ways to interpret everything Sakurai has said about Samus/Zamus; it's as if he never really wanted us to know how it was gonna work. For instance...
  • "...under special conditions" -- Does he mean in Smash or in other Metroid games?
  • "...not a pure character addition" -- Does he mean a Zelda/Shiek thing or that it's just Samus in a skin-tight suit?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The comment is very vague, and as Doggalina points out, could be interpreted either way. And the trailer was simply a flashy way of introducing ZS Samus, just as Meta Knight jumping off the halberd, Wario riding in on a motorcycle and Snake coming out of a cardboard box were. I don't think it's how Samus is going to transform (not to mention all the negatives of ZS Samus being limited to Samus' super attack there are).

That's one of the reasons I'd like to see a ZS Samus update, to actually shed some light on how ZS Samus has been incorporated into the game.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
I don't understand why everybody thinks that there's gonna be a Zamus update tomorrow. Sure she was in the most recent screenshots, but Wario and Metaknight were in the first update that had screens, and they haven't gotten profiles yet.

I want a Zamus update, too, but I doubt it would happen before Wario and Metaknight.

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
"The crates and boxes will change with each stage"

Sakurai: Okay everyone, let's get to work on those crates and barrels!

Team Member: All of us? Shouldn't some of us be working on other things?

Sakurai: NO! I want the WHOLE TEAM working on the crates and barrels! All of you!

Team Member: That seems kind of inefficient. Wouldn't it be better for some of us to work on making the items while other are working on characters, stages and such?

Sakurai: This is MY GAME and we'll make it how I want! Now let's get started.

Yes, I'm sure they're wasting so much valuable time making crates and barrels. :p Personally, I rather liked today's update. I thought how the crates and barrels change depending on the theme of the stage is neat. And I didn't even notice Zamus and the castle stage appearing for the first time on the website until I visited the forum. XD

burrito

Smash Lord
Also, if you remember the Samus profile where Sakurai said the "under certain conditions" statement, he also said after that something along the lines of "don't worry, you will still be able to play as Samus". This line makes no sense under the context that he had just revealed that Samus and Zamus were the same character. If they were the same character, then why would he be telling us that we'll still be able to play as Samus?

It makes zero logical sense to me for Samus and Zamus to be the same character.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
"...under special conditions" -- Does he mean in Smash or in other Metroid games?
Well I assumed in Smash, since it was on a Smash site, for a Smash character, for a Smash game.

"...not a pure character addition" -- Does he mean a Zelda/Shiek thing or that it's just Samus in a skin-tight suit?
'Pure' meaning "not mixed". Since it IS NOT a 'pure' character addition, it means its part of another character (not pure).

I understand what you're saying though. But to me it's fairly obvious how this is going to work. I don't understand why people continually insist that their "overly-delved into" information is viable.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Also, if you remember the Samus profile where Sakurai said the "under certain conditions" statement, he also said after that something along the lines of "don't worry, you will still be able to play as Samus". This line makes no sense under the context that he had just revealed that Samus and Zamus were the same character. If they were the same character, then why would he be telling us that we'll still be able to play as Samus?

You win, sir. I completely forgot about that.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
There will definetly not be a ZS samus, or any MAJOR update for atleast a few more weeks IMO (maybe one or two big updates at most, but i doubt it). They keep feeding us just little bits of information, so that we will come discuss it on here, and just to keep us all on the edge of our seats, waiting for the game to come out. The updates that everyone wants to see (Zamus, snake, new characters etc.) will be released closer to ssbb's release. But I know that this is not going to stop the pointless debating on here about it, so...continue arguing.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Irrelivant argument. You can still play as Samus, just choose not to transform into Zamus.

Okay...

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
It will come off when she uses her smah finale-thats what happened in the tralier people
Really? So Sakurai confirmed that part of the trailer depicts Smaus's Final Smash? Wow, what a find! So how about a link to this confirmation? I certainly don't remember Sakurai ever saying it was her Final Smash, but with how sure you seem you must have found it, right? :D

EDIT: Lovely, I start off page 240 with blatant sarcasm.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
It will come off when she uses her smah finale-thats what happened in the tralier people
Maybe, but then it would piss me off because I'd have to sacrifice my Samus character just to do a big smash. Not fair.

Also, Samus did not have the firey glow that the other characters had when releasing their super smash, although Wario didn't either...

burrito

Smash Lord
Well I assumed in Smash, since it was on a Smash site, for a Smash character, for a Smash game.
Zamus comes from the Metroid games, though, if you did not realize that. Sakurai is simply explaining her origin as a character.

'Pure' meaning "not mixed". Since it IS NOT a 'pure' character addition, it means its part of another character (not pure).
Zamus is not a "pure" character addition just as Dr.Mario wasn't a pure character addition. Mario was already in melee, hence not a "pure" additon.

Doggalina said:
You win, sir. I completely forgot about that.
Yeah, I find it funny that people always reference the "under certain conditions" part of the profile, but completely forget about this other line.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think a great update would be:

NUMBER OF CHARACTERS: 40 (or some other number)

Straight to the point and mind blowing

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Zamus comes from the Metroid games, though, if you did not realize that. Sakurai is simply explaining her origin as a character.
Ah, but you see, we already KNOW this. That's what the METROID sites are for.

Zamus is not a "pure" character addition just as Dr.Mario wasn't a pure character addition. Mario was already in melee, hence not a "pure" additon.
I hoped I wouldn't have to explain this, but...

If Zamus was 'PURE' (NOT mixed with the SAME character), she would have her OWN character slot. Mario was already there yes, but he wasn't mixed with anyone else. He was his OWN character. A PURE character.

Please do no take the trailer literally, that's like asuming wario will ride a bike because he did it on the trailer.
While wise, I still wonder why they would 'show' it, AND 'tell' it.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yah you can only asume that Zamus will form by Final smash. Right now, it is the only proof we have and it isn't hardcore for that matter. We will have to wait and see. My guess, next week.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Yah you can only asume that Zamus will form by Final smash.
No, no, NO. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

"Oh look I have my super smash.... but I don't want to be Zamus cause shes lighter and Samus is better suited for this match".

But Link, Mario, Kirby, and every other char are allowed to use it with no consequence.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I think riding around on the definition of purity puts a little too much strain on what is merely a translation from Japanese to English by a different person.

chAvo

Smash Cadet
While wise, I still wonder why they would 'show' it, AND 'tell' it.
Right....but you can't say that just because zamus appeared after the big blast that those are the certain conditions Sakurai talked about. (that's what i was referring to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom