• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdizzal

Smash Apprentice
**** sakurai, pulling out new techniques left and right! i think this jumpstooling thing is a pretty interesting tech. im pretty sure the timing for everyones is different and have different priority so it will be balanced.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
@Dragonboy2k4: Hey,...."buddy". I'm educated about somethings, but still...

Also, I sent you a PM. It's about my "faking"

lol-I thought dewdizzal's sig said "DrewPizza", lol

Del Money

Smash Champion
alright fellas i gotta peace out. i dont even know if ill be able to see the updates for thursday and or friday since ive got wedding duties and such (plus the only internet ill be using is...dial up). anyways my guesses are item tonight (AT included) and FS or special moves tomorrow or the other way around. guess ill find out how right/wrong i am by sunday at the latest.

@RDK hold down the fort (n00b alert in the Sonic thread)

aight peace...

Smooth Crimi--haha jk

A-Laon

Smash Master
Maybe that little diagram on the "how-to" update for using Smash attacks is somewhat of an indicator. Y'know, there's a Wiimote, a CC, a GC, and Nunchuks to consider. Gasp. What a startling epiphany!

And that life-changing logic was brought to you in part by SIMPLE DEDUCTION. Because the schema is going to change, certain modifications to the core gameplay have got to be made. Rapid attacks performed by holding down a bloody button seem sensible; I wanna see somebody rapidly attack while flinging the nunchuk/Wii-mote combo around with the same, imperceptible ease as somebody that has a more handheld controller. The learning curve for those people is going to be steep, assuming that people even wanna go down that route.

Oh, yes. Yoshi's double-jump "invincibility" does give him a whole slew of options to get past edgeguards---assuming, of course, that the player in question has enough time to get it off. Ever play Sheik? Yeah. A couple of needles from he/she/it potato at the right moment and Yoshi drops like a rock before he even gets the second jump off. Same with just about any other projectile user versus Yoshi. That's one of the many reasons why he's so bloody gimped, aside from his inability to do anything out of his shield.

Yes. And I said in my previous post that I wanted to give all of the characters in the game something like what you had mentioned Gee, I thought it said something along the lines of:

Learn to read, Laon. How does that translate into "OMG, I wanna dumb down every single god**** character in the game and reduce them to 'toons that are capable only of one or two unique actions?" No. I just thought that it was a unique addition. To me, it brings a semblance of balance to the game and adds on to whatever repertoire that Sakurai and Company are building up for the cast. It just gives a player more options to employ when intercepting or whatever. I'm sure that, for your sake (and everyone else's, believe it or not. Including mine!), all the characters are still going to be as different as night and day.

Plus, Fawriel brought up a good point. Do you honestly think that this is going to be a mechanic that sees predominant usage? Hardly. It's probably going to be situational to the point of uselessness when it comes to high-level play.

So freakin' relax.

Smooth Criminal

Edit: BigRick illustrated another good point.
"I'm going easier on the button pressing this time around. Feel free to mash a bit and ease yourself into it." Again, once he mentions anything about simplifying control schemes for the sake of cross-controller compatibility (something that could be handled better by just giving slightly adjusted schemes to the new controllers, by the way) then maybe your assumption will have some grounds.

Yoshi's recovery: Again, many, many characters get gayed far harder... but more importantly, get over it. By saying that Yoshi's recovery is poor and demanding that it's fixed is simply proving my point that idiots are going to whine about anything detrimental to their chance of winning, and Nintendo is going to be equally idiotic and work to please them.

You related giving everybody a meteor to balancing the game. That implies that you feel that a character being deprived of an advantage that another character may have (in this case, a meteor smash) is a violation of game balance and should be equalized. That, my friend, is lethargic whining.

By the way, if you're going to support the inclusion of today's update and debate how it proves Nintendo's desire to balance the game, it's better to not label it "useless" in an argument.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Footstool Jumping seems like a nice, flavorful technique that adds to the wacky nature of Smash. In all honesty it is probably not that useful. When you jump off the character, when he or she is on the ground, you are moving away from combo potential. And jumping on the character's head in midair is probably harder to do then just a plain out attack.

Yes, now everyone gets a meteor smash. Is that leveling the playing field or taking away each character's unique playstyle? I would say no to both.

Maybe some characters won't have it. Maybe light characters do not go as high and do not stun other characters as much. Maybe some characters lke Bowser can not be hopped off of, with all his spikes. And then there will be some characters who might have an awesome footstool hop. So no this is not leveling the playing field. Every character has a smash, but some smashes are rarely used beause of their ineffectness while others are spammed.

But seeing Captain Falcon dash across the screen, walljump, and then leap off someone's head into a falcon punch would be priceless.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
at any rate, it does serve as another equalizing element to smash. sakurai is stacking this game with more and more elements. i think this is going to be the best thing for the game in the end,

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
An added feature can still dilute the game. Giving everybody an equal ability, in this case the potential for meteor smashing (without an attack, nonetheless) is a step towards removing diversity between characters. Why would this even be necessary? Do you ever hear huge debates break out within the competitive community regarding how unfair spike / meteor distribution is? Of course not. An update like this just pleases the petty whiners who aren't open-minded (and likewise probably not skilled) enough to get over a disadvantage of their character / playstyle and hence need to complain about aspects of the game as their scapegoat for not being developed metagamers.
Meh, I don't see this as destroying the diversity between characters. Every character has a dodge, a grab, a shield, etc. (and even those manage to be different among the different characters), so every character having this jump/meteor smash is just one more common element.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I guess I should clarify that I'm not upset with the technique, nor am I labeling it some game-breaking equalizer between characters, because I'm certainly not. As people have said, it probably won't be all-around that useful.

What concerns me is that the feature's only true purpose is to appease narrow-minded players who choose to whine about their character's lack of meteor or spiking ability rather than to get over it or play somebody who does. Although menial in itself, this is just another small addition to Nintendo's "casualization" of Brawl, catering to lesser players who want everything made easier and more accessible, rather than to those who want to work to improve and be rewarded for their efforts.

zerosin

Smash Apprentice
it seems, though, that in a competitive nature, this move will require a lot of setup. The execution sounds simple, but to do it in battle may be a completely different thing. And it's just another optional technique. If meteor cancels still exist, players would use this technique sparingly.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Footstool Jumping seems like a nice, flavorful technique that adds to the wacky nature of Smash. In all honesty it is probably not that useful. When you jump off the character, when he or she is on the ground, you are moving away from combo potential. And jumping on the character's head in midair is probably harder to do then just a plain out attack.

Yes, now everyone gets a meteor smash. Is that leveling the playing field or taking away each character's unique playstyle? I would say no to both.

Maybe some characters won't have it. Maybe light characters do not go as high and do not stun other characters as much. Maybe some characters lke Bowser can not be hopped off of, with all his spikes. And then there will be some characters who might have an awesome footstool hop. So no this is not leveling the playing field. Every character has a smash, but some smashes are rarely used beause of their ineffectness while others are spammed.

But seeing Captain Falcon dash across the screen, walljumping, and then leaping off someone's head into a falcon burn would be priceless.
Meh, I don't see this as destroying the diversity between characters. Every character has a dodge, a grab, a shield, etc. (and even those manage to be different among the different characters), so every character having this jump/meteor smash is just one more common element.
Need I say more?

I wasn't "demanding" anything to be changed, nor was I decrying the outright advantages that some characters have over others (both traits are intrinsic to fighting games). Don't crop me in with your "lethargic whiners." Believe it or not, it is okay for me to comment about how gimped Yoshi's recovery is. Will I complain if I lose with Yoshi because of that fact? Hell no, because it's part of his character. But if they improve on Yoshi's recovery in the sequel, will I ***** and moan and wish that he reverted back to his original form of recovery in Melee? No. I'll consider it a good thing and move on with my life.

As for the "meteor smash" thing. Yes, it brings a sense of "balance" to the game as per my quoting of Elana's post. It's just one more common element that everybody has now. Some 'stools might be better than others. And maybe---just maybe---that there will be more effective meteor smashes than footstooling. Wow.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with a response, considering that you're probably gonna brush me off as some kind of scrub.

Smooth Criminal

Edit: I just read your most recent post. *throws up a "time-out" sign.* I take back the bit about relaxation.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
"I'm going easier on the button pressing this time around. Feel free to mash a bit and ease yourself into it." Again, once he mentions anything about simplifying control schemes for the sake of cross-controller compatibility (something that could be handled better by just giving slightly adjusted schemes to the new controllers, by the way) then maybe your assumption will have some grounds.

Yoshi's recovery: Again, many, many characters get gayed far harder... but more importantly, get over it. By saying that Yoshi's recovery is poor and demanding that it's fixed is simply proving my point that idiots are going to whine about anything detrimental to their chance of winning, and Nintendo is going to be equally idiotic and work to please them.

You related giving everybody a meteor to balancing the game. That implies that you feel that a character being deprived of an advantage that another character may have (in this case, a meteor smash) is a violation of game balance and should be equalized. That, my friend, is lethargic whining.

By the way, if you're going to support the inclusion of today's update and debate how it proves Nintendo's desire to balance the game, it's better to not label it "useless" in an argument.
Isnt this enough proof on where Nintendo intends to take games for here on out? http://wii.nintendo.com/iwataasks.jsp

In any case,its no surprize to see Nintendo gearing things for the mainstream audienuce.Simplexity is the reason why the sales charts are booming with the Wii,as the same with the DS.In other short words,dont you think they wanna incorperate things as such in a game that was a former best seller?You can bet your a$$ off they do.

Will High-Level players find use of the technique?And how this will effect them? Well,thats what Dec 3 is for.Thats also kinda the reason why they dont wanna show the hardcore tid bits like WDing existance and such despite what we say.Cuz the only mother fuking way were gonna find out for our sake is to slap that $50.00(plus tax) on the store regestier.Someone out there has to buy it to find out right? We cant all (including those who only have Gamepro for there info due to a lack of PC) sit back on that date and wait cuz thats virtually impossible to do.Just like the 250,000+ people that bought that horrid game Superman 64 and thought it was the ****.:laugh:

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Wow... this sure is making the game a bit more "wacky" than I have a flavor for... but nonetheless, it seems like a nice addition to skill. Brings back memories of Kirby Super Star!

RDK

Smash Hero
What concerns me is that the feature's only true purpose is to appease narrow-minded players who choose to whine about their character's lack of meteor or spiking ability rather than to get over it or play somebody who does. Although menial in itself, this is just another small addition to Nintendo's "casualization" of Brawl, catering to lesser players who want everything made easier and more accessible, rather than to those who want to work to improve and be rewarded for their efforts.
QFT. It saddens me to see Sakurai so ready to overhaul the game to appease the casual crowd than stick with what made Smash so great in the first place.

It's only natural for good players to find more ways to increase the game's playability (advanced techs, metagame strategy, mindgames, spacing, etc.), and it seems all that might be destroyed.

I really hope I'm wrong about Sakurai in this case, and I hope this is the first and the last of these attempts.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
it seems, though, that in a competitive nature, this move will require a lot of setup. The execution sounds simple, but to do it in battle may be a completely different thing. And it's just another optional technique. If meteor cancels still exist, players would use this technique sparingly.
Now you got my brain ticking,lol.Sorry for the double post peeps.You know,since meteors are still part of the game due to early screenshots,I wounder if there is a 2nd degree of meteors you cannot cancel?! Cuz see,what Iam thinking is,since its plain and clear that going for an ordinary meteor would still be hard,but not as hard as taking a huge risk by not attacking at all...OMG That would seal the deal in the risk/reward factor handsdown.Cuz come to think of it,tonardo drill kicks(Mario's D Air) might allow you to combo into a jumpstool.My theory might be wrong but ****,nothing wrong with that.I also would think this tech might take away a 2nd jump if you land the son of a btych.

Sakurai knows how to get people anty doesnt he? :laugh:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
QFT. It saddens me to see Sakurai so ready to overhaul the game to appease the casual crowd than stick with what made Smash so great in the first place.

It's only natural for good players to find more ways to increase the game's playability (advanced techs, metagame strategy, mindgames, spacing, etc.), and it seems all that might be destroyed.

I really hope I'm wrong about Sakurai in this case, and I hope this is the first and the last of these attempts.
It seems that with footstooling, crawling, and the faster dodges, Brawl is not decreasing its strategy, advanced techs, mindgames, metagames, spacing, ect., but simply changing them.

Just like the transition from 64 to Melee. Both play extremely different. The pacing, combo potential, throws, ect. both vary. It is hard to transition from one to the next.

I think people are just worried that they will have to adapt to a new way of playing. But come the fourth game people will be saying, "They better not touch crawl dashing and footstool cancels because then I won't buy the game."

RDK

Smash Hero
It seems that with footstooling, crawling, and the faster dodges in Brawl is not decreasing its strategy, advanced techs, mindgames, metagames, spacing, ect., but simply changing them.

Just like the transition from 64 to Melee. Both play extremely different. The pacing, combo potential, throws, ect. both vary. It is hard to transition from one to the next.

I think people are just worried that they will have to adapt to a new way of playing. But come the fourth game people will be saying, "They better not touch crawl dashing and footstool cancels because then I won't buy the game."
Lol, you have me there Bowserlick. That's a very good point; I can't argue with that.

I see what you're saying about "not decreasing the strategy, but changing it". I just hope that they will do it with the same care that they used in in the 64-Melee transition.

I don't have a problem with having to adapt to a new way of playing. I just hope Sakurai doesn't block out all ways of creating a metagame for Brawl. I hope he doens't dumb it down enough that it's like a minigame in one of the 27 Mairo Parties.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Fun thing I found on Wikipedia:

"Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL Laboratory, Inc. on August 5, 2003; Leading many to believe that the Kirby and, especially, the Super Smash Bros. series would cease to continue. Reasons for his departure are said to be because he was seeking more freedom and was not happy with the structure that was present at HAL Laboratory. Most of all, however, Sakurai grew tired of the sequelization of the industry and at HAL.[1][2]

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

His resignation came just days after an interview where he openly criticized Nintendo for circumstances surrounding the development of the GameCube racer Kirby Air Ride."

I think Sakurai doesn't like the idea of just making a new version of a game. We can expect this one to be pretty different from the way Melee plays. And that probably won't be a bad thing, because he's still the good old Sakurai who made the previous two games, except with more experience and budget this time.

Many of us are complaining about changes because we compare them to the way Melee is. But if you think about it, that just doesn't work because everything will be slightly different, and you can't say that one change will have a certain effect, because all those many different factors you take into account will be tweaked back and forth to create a completely new game.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Lol, you have me there Bowserlick. That's a very good point; I can't argue with that.

I see what you're saying about "not decreasing the strategy, but changing it". I just hope that they will do it with the same care that they used in in the 64-Melee transition.

I don't have a problem with having to adapt to a new way of playing. I just hope Sakurai doesn't block out all ways of creating a metagame for Brawl. I hope he doens't dumb it down enough that it's like a minigame in one of the 27 Mairo Parties.
i wholeheartedly agree. i think the problem is so many people are looking for Super Smash Brothers Melee 2, and not Super Smash brothers Brawl. I feel the same way as u do on that he doesnt block all paths to a metagame for brawl and while on the surface it appears as a simpleton's game for the whole family to enjoy, on the inside it is an intricate game with many secrets. (no homo) this should open up a whole new world to competitive play.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Isnt this enough proof on where Nintendo intends to take games for here on out? http://wii.nintendo.com/iwataasks.jsp

In any case,its no surprize to see Nintendo gearing things for the mainstream audienuce.Simplexity is the reason why the sales charts are booming with the Wii,as the same with the DS.In other short words,dont you think they wanna incorperate things as such in a game that was a former best seller?You can bet your a$$ off they do.

Will High-Level players find use of the technique?And how this will effect them? Well,thats what Dec 3 is for.Thats also kinda the reason why they dont wanna show the hardcore tid bits like WDing existance and such despite what we say.Cuz the only mother fuking way were gonna find out for our sake is to slap that $50.00(plus tax) on the store regestier.Someone out there has to buy it to find out right? We cant all (including those who only have Gamepro for there info due to a lack of PC) sit back on that date and wait cuz thats virtually impossible to do.Just like the 250,000+ people that bought that horrid game Superman 64 and thought it was the ****.:laugh:
Now you got my brain ticking,lol.Sorry for the double post peeps.You know,since meteors are still part of the game due to early screenshots,I wounder if there is a 2nd degree of meteors you cannot cancel?! Cuz see,what Iam thinking is,since its plain and clear that going for an ordinary meteor would still be hard,but not as hard as taking a huge risk by not attacking at all...OMG That would seal the deal in the risk/reward factor handsdown.Cuz come to think of it,tonardo drill kicks(Mario's D Air) might allow you to combo into a jumpstool.My theory might be wrong but ****,nothing wrong with that.I also would think this tech might take away a 2nd jump if you land the son of a btych.

Sakurai knows how to get people anty doesnt he? :laugh:
HameHame Ha bytches. Stop it Kirby and Laon,we both know what Nintendo doing guys.And if anything,I look as it as a "interest ticket"of new players coming into the fray thinking they got game,only to be put to shame by the vets.Mario Kart DS was simple but that still didnt stop me from kicking peoples ball$ on that game.If your skills are that good,change will have little to no effect on you.You guys are worrying too much and should be posting ideas on how this **** could be incorperated in this game.If techs appeals to be that much easier,that doesnt change that fact on knowing "When" to use them.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai doesn't like the idea of just making a new version of a game. We can expect this one to be pretty different from the way Melee plays. And that probably won't be a bad thing, because he's still the good old Sakurai who made the previous two games, except with more experience and budget this time.

Many of us are complaining about changes because we compare them to the way Melee is. But if you think about it, that just doesn't work because everything will be slightly different, and you can't say that one change will have a certain effect, because all those many different factors you take into account will be tweaked back and forth to create a completely new game.
Skeet skeet Fawriel,thats what I like to see. :laugh:

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about everyone else, but in my opinion, the "Footstool Jump" addition is abosultely horrible.

I hope it'll be possible to turn it off, because I just don't like the idea of it. Cheap meteors in the air, a bunch of lag frames on the ground. I really don't like it at all.

Sure it'll add another dimension to Smash Bros, but in my opinion, it's a terrible implementation,

Here's hoping you can turn it off in the options menu.
Its pretty obvious you wont be able tp turn it off, this is not an item for crying out loud.

Anyway, i do like it, and i dont think itll be cheap, first of all, sakurai talks about good timing, we dont know how many frames that implies, but im hoping it is a small window as to... you know, not let every noob n their mom pull it off whenever.

Second, i dont think the spike will be that easy to pull off, being that ur feet will need to be EXACTLY on the head of ur opponent to spike them, in Melee, it is not that hard to spike with say Falco for example, because u dont have to position ur feet perfectly, if u spike them with your "torso" as Falco u will still get the spike, kinda the same happens with Marths dair (unless u completely *** it and end up sending em upwards :S)

I think this footstool jump is most reminiscent (and im not even saying its exactly the same as) of the shine spike, being that u need you to be exactly on top of your opponent to perform it, and it doesnt have any range at all.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Its pretty obvious you wont be able tp turn it off, this is not an item for crying out loud.

Anyway, i do like it, and i dont think itll be cheap, first of all, sakurai talks about good timing, we dont know how many frames that implies, but im hoping it is a small window as to... you know, not let every noob n their mom pull it off whenever.

Second, i dont think the spike will be that easy to pull off, being that ur feet will need to be EXACTLY on the head of ur opponent to spike them, in Melee, it is not that hard to spike with say Falco for example, because u dont have to position ur feet perfectly, if u spike them with your "torso" as Falco u will still get the spike, kinda the same happens with Marths dair (unless u completely *** it and end up sending em upwards :S)

I think this footstool jump is most reminiscent (and im not even saying its exactly the same as) of the shine spike, being that u need you to be exactly on top of your opponent to perform it, and it doesnt have any range at all.
Agreed,hence me stating that poitenial chance of something like the jumpstool having a risk/reward balance as most recent fighters try and exercise quite well in most cases.

Only thing that bugging me is your quote,that I have an answer to however.Its because causal players are more populated than tournments.

CasMat

Smash Cadet
ummmm... wasn't there someone who suggested a new tech exactly like this? I remember reading a thread about a technique that someone thought up that involved jumping off your opponents head, and it seems that person and Sakurai (or whoever in the development team thought up footstool jumping) think alike.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well I honestly dont know what to think of this update, I mean I doubt I'll put the footstool jump as part of my strategy, but who knows, the good thing is that now every character has a meteor, whic is awesome...

Blackadder

Smash Master
Well I honestly dont know what to think of this update, I mean I doubt I'll put the footstool jump as part of my strategy, but who knows, the good thing is that now every character has a meteor, whic is awesome...
No.
Bowser footsooling Pikachu.
That is awesome. :p

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I think that this will be more reminiscent of wall jumping in the fact that maybe only certain characters can pull it off because honestly Giga bowser... jumping off of Pichu!

And on a side note.... TOAD MAN 4 BRAWL!

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'm sort of weary to come back to this thread after what happened yesterday...:crazy: Anyway,awesome update.I stayed up for the update last night,but my computer wouldn't open smashboards. New meteors for everyone,yay! :grin:

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm sort of weary to come back to this thread after what happened yesterday... Anyway,awesome update.I stayed up for the update last night,but my computer wouldn't open smashboards. New meteors for everyone,yay!
Lol, yeah...

I think the problem was due to a database error or something. We get those almost every other day now. I don't know why; you'd have to ask the mods.

Sjos

Smash Cadet
I hope Giga Bowser can footstool jump.
That's what I was thinking :laugh:

Anyways, no one would use the footstool on the ground if it was shieldable (you could do an air attack instead and deal damage, assuming that the footstool doesn't deal damage), so I don't think it's shieldable.

Btw, do you guys think it deals damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom