• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
It'd be awesome if you had to kick the Nintendog to activate it.
Best not, the animal rights lobby would have a field day:laugh:
Seriously though, I can see the Nintendog being a very unpopular item, because no-one benefits from it. Its just a massive annoyance, kind of like the red shell, because it disadvantages the holder as well as his opponants. Unless of course, Sakurai and his merry band have come up with a way around this

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
if the nintendog WASNT an item, what else would it be? a stage hazard???
haha it randomly pops up every stage at any time...
you never know, something like that could happen where it would hunt you down like a mailman and take some damage when in contact like his bite, but i still don't get what he has to do with covering the screen up with his paw

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I second that. It didn't seem to damage anyone in the vid, it's jsut probably the same as blacking out the screen. Only more annoying.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I also feel its just an item that is set to simply block out the screen.
But mabye this the time COMPUTER players could get affected by it too!

burrito

Smash Lord
I am thinking that the nintendog item may have been made specifically for online play. Then, yuo could block all the other players screens, but still see yours.

Blooper spooge, ala Mario Kart DS.

~Dac
errrrr..... the blooper spooge was an item.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has been done already. I just got back from Nashville:

Falco: Fox, what's the scouter say about his power lever?!

Fox: It's OVER 9000!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
hopefully it will be an item that affects the computer players too. i mean in mario kart, at least the comps would swerve and stuff when it's in the way. maybe the comps in smash will frantically run around and use moves at random

Blackadder

Smash Master
hopefully it will be an item that affects the computer players too. i mean in mario kart, at least the comps would swerve and stuff when it's in the way. maybe the comps in smash will frantically run around and use moves at random

That would be a legend.
many a time has a togepi blanked out the screen, and the computers
have smacked me round while I couldent see.
They probably will just do as you said, and run around punching the air a lot.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sure hope so, I had the same problem that blackadder just said, sure I dont use items anymore, and probably wont in brawl, but is would be awesome...

Blackadder

Smash Master
Sure hope so, I had the same problem that blackadder just said, sure I dont use items anymore, and probably wont in brawl, but is would be awesome...

I atually dislike items for the most part.
I have them turend of, but my friends often ask for them back on.
I just find that can eliminate an skill needed in game.
So for brawl, I must admit, I feel I will have them off after about 2 weeks of experimentation.

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
I atually dislike items for the most part.
I have them turend of, but my friends often ask for them back on.
I just find that can eliminate an skill needed in game.
So for brawl, I must admit, I feel I will have them off after about 2 weeks of experimentation.
Lol the problem is actually, when you use items u'll **** up your skills, as many claim. I think, using items can actually create a great strategy.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yes because the items like capsules, crates, and barrels will explode without notice though, I can not predict if the Smash Orb item will be allowed in tournaments or not. I would say they can be if it is the only item since you can only use it once but we just don't know.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Lol the problem is actually, when you use items u'll **** up your skills, as many claim. I think, using items can actually create a great strategy.
I strongly agree with that statement.If you concider yourself a pro,your considered that because of your level of adaptablitly,not because you play without items.Quite frankly,its one of the reasons I dont pay attention to who the top players in the world are currently.To me,they are just players that are great with an option turned off.Dont get me wrong now,there a horseload of technical skill to be display without items in effect,but theres also room for creativity with them,and in my opinion,your consider dangerous when you have two mind sets,instead of one.

Wrath`

Smash Master
i used to always play with items,until my freind said is wasnt allowed. but i still play with and without them. BEAM SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
You got it all wrong TWoK...Bob-ombs!
Face a n00b through one at him, kill him. He throughs one at you(if you have skill such as...ahem...I)and you catch it in mid air, through it at him and he quits.

Wrath`

Smash Master
id alway f smash my opponet off the edge,and when they recover trow beams swords at them.
i call it my trowing dagger techniqe

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
If you concider yourself a pro,your considered that because of your level of adaptablitly,not because you play without items.
and not because you only play on Final Destination because it's "the most fair".

As for tonight's update, I'm kind of at a loss. That full week of character updates kind of threw my predictions out of whack. Although, we've still been item-less for a while, so...

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I strongly agree with that statement.If you concider yourself a pro,your considered that because of your level of adaptablitly,not because you play without items.Quite frankly,its one of the reasons I dont pay attention to who the top players in the world are currently.To me,they are just players that are great with an option turned off.Dont get me wrong now,there a horseload of technical skill to be display without items in effect,but theres also room for creativity with them,and in my opinion,your consider dangerous when you have two mind sets,instead of one.
The only way to judge people skills is with items off; that is why tournaments have items off. Tournaments are just stages used to see who's the best, and the only way to find that out is to eliminate as much luck as possible.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Exactly! As I said above, crates, capsules, party balls, and barrels all can explode anytime giving luck to the person who doesn't get blown up. Now don't go saying 'but they can use one items' because crates and stuff still will pop up. Also, if they are on low, it can still happen. It shows no skill and just luck. The only skill you can show with current weapons is throwing it at them from across the screen and hitting them and that is not that hard to do.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
While items do add a level of strategy, and a level of adaptability, they add far more luck.

This is why I do not find playing with items the fairest fight, but they do make the funnest fight.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
While items do add a level of strategy, and a level of adaptability, they add far more luck.

This is why I do not find playing with items the fairest fight, but they do make the funnest fight.
Yea i agree with you, items make the fight so much fun, but if its a 1v1 serious fight you shouldn't play with items. If your at a party play with items, if your at a tournament play without items.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone else find this week disappointing? I mean, it was nice to see those FS's and new stage but...

I'm really wanting to see MK, Snake, and Zamus profiles already. I already anticipated most of the stuff they showed anyways, and I wasn't too thrilled seeing Fox's shine, or Wario.

Personally, I think I'm craving brand new characters and new levels. It's been so long since we got new stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong, the info is great - I'm glad we have it.

But we are mostly only seeing things that pertain to characters we already know about. Not really any new in-your-face, never-saw-it-coming stuff like we saw in the trailers.

I'm really just starved for a nice big chunk of info.

Croco

Smash Lord
The only way to judge people skills is with items off; that is why tournaments have items off. Tournaments are just stages used to see who's the best, and the only way to find that out is to eliminate as much luck as possible.
Exactly! As I said above, crates, capsules, party balls, and barrels all can explode anytime giving luck to the person who doesn't get blown up. Now don't go saying 'but they can use one items' because crates and stuff still will pop up. Also, if they are on low, it can still happen. It shows no skill and just luck. The only skill you can show with current weapons is throwing it at them from across the screen and hitting them and that is not that hard to do.
I turn off items and turn them on..
I understand about the crates and boxes.. BUT..
I do believe it does take a different skill to avoid, throw, and use items.

For example..
My friend Bryan who plays as Ganondorf tends to play better with items off.. Why? because he is horrible at avoiding items being thrown at him or used on him. He also isn't that good at timing his tossing and activating the items on time. So his chances of winning drop.. BUT Then there is my friend Rob.. he looses and plays worse with items off. When I turn items on he becomes more of a threat then my friend Bryan. He even knocked my friend Bryan out 4 times in a row with items by chucking them at him. What did I do? Dodge and run.. dodge and run.. and then find the right moment to hit him.
Yes.. some items are not fair.. The hammer is for example.. but it's all luck.

Playing a card game, dominos, and even board games aren't fair. It's all luck..
So.. basically turning off items in smash would sorta be like removing the dice and replacing it by calling the numbers you want.

So items are like cards.. you just need to know how and when to use them.

So why can a noob beat a pro with items? That is maybe because they SUCK at avoiding and dodging items. They never practiced enough with items.. so they aren't that good at dodging or using them.

So I play with and without items.. So I can gain my skills without playing with items and playing with items.

I feel that items make it fun.. so if you have a problem with that just deal with it. I would turn them off without any arguments.. but if we had them on and you started complaining how it isn't fair and it makes it unbalanced, then your a item noob. If you kicked my *** with them off.. I would accept the defeat and say that you kickass without items.

Items make the game more interesting.. it makes it fun, surprising, and always different each time around. It gives it a newer experience and challenge. So there are 2 skills.. Using items and playing as the character without them. There is not just one type of skill.

Turning items off and on could be looked at like giving and taking away a handicap for every person. But if you master both items and going solo.. it's not really a handicap anymore.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone else find this week disappointing? I mean, it was nice to see those FS's and new stage but...

I'm really wanting to see MK, Snake, and Zamus profiles already. I already anticipated most of the stuff they showed anyways, and I wasn't too thrilled seeing Fox's shine, or Wario.

Personally, I think I'm craving brand new characters and new levels. It's been so long since we got new stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong, the info is great - I'm glad we have it.

But we are mostly only seeing things that pertain to characters we already know about. Not really any new in-your-face, never-saw-it-coming stuff like we saw in the trailers.

I'm really just starved for a nice big chunk of info.

This week was really character driven, and most of the stuff we were shown we knew already. It wasn't like previous weeks were we got a huge variation of stuff, some of which we hadn't known about (or heard in the case of the music), and the occasional big update like the control schemes or Samus' profile.

This week was fine, but nothing really stood out, which is why there isn't much to talk about. Hopefully next week we'll get some variation back. An all new arena, some more music and Zamus' profile would suit me nicely.

And yeah I'm starved for a massive update too, don't worry E3's just three weeks away (and thats when the real fun begins)

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yes people are worried we aren't getting anything at E3...don't. We are definitely gonna get mentioned since the game is due out soon and one of Nintendos big hits. Even if we don't get a lot from there, our updates are gonna be old(until E3)from now till then. After E3, we get new news every weekday so don't worry about E3 guys.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
I have to say though, during E3 I firmly expect this thread to rack up over 100 pages worth of posts:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom