• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What wsa the tech that was the hardest for you to master?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Moonwalking is giving me a lot of troubles. I don't use Falcon often, though, so it doesn't really affect me that much.
I moonwalk with Marth/Fox/Sheik too :p

Shine b-air with Fox. Mine look fast enough, but I can still never make the b-air connect (except on lvl 1 Bowser).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Since Brawl came out I've had to relearn all of my old Falco tech. Even so far as going back to watch old videos of myself playing and say 'Oh yeah, that's what I used to do'.

I've had to relearn a lot of Falco tech : /
I've gotta get my Falco pillar timing down again.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
This thread makes me feel a lot better. For me, short hop double fair wasn't really that hard, and neither was ledge hop double laser. But when I first got into AT's, wavedashing and L-cancelling seemed impossible. I actually learned L cancelling by going back to smash 64 XD. But once I could wavedash consistently, waveshining with fox came surprisingly naturally (when before it seemed impossible), even though I don't even play fox. Anyway, right now I'm frustrated with the following:

Waveshining with falco
Wavedashing in between shl with falco
Dropping down off the ledge and then wall jumping without using my second jump
Short hop double laser (I can do it consistently if I move my left thumb to the B button and jump with X, but I can't press X and move to the B button with my right thumb in time...)

I'm trying to pick up falcon/spacies...

L canceling whenever it's not the l cancel in a shffl or a fulljumped arial (b/c ive practiced that and done it a million times).... for example: L canceling on stages with uneven terrain (like poke floats)
Why? because I have the problem of thinking "press L X amount of time after the fast fall" >.> I'm trying to get out of that habit now though, thinking about starting to l cancel with Z or something.
THIS FINALLY EXPLAINS WHY AT TOURNAMENTS I CAN GET 3-STOCKED, COUNTERPICK POKEFLOATS AND WIN!!!

Really, I've been dominated by people, then I go pokefloats and they have no clue what to do XD. If the previous match was really close, I pick yoshi's story (neutral) for marth, but if I don't think I can win there, I go Pokefloats and hope they don't know what they're doing.

San Diego Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Still have trouble doing consecutive waveshines and short hop double laser...
I also cant let go of a ledge and use illusion to grab it again before having to jump.

Ledge teching is easy when you get the hang of it, especially with falco. Everything else is easy.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
As far as having mastered, or mostly mastered, it would have to be pillaring on shield as Falco. Dern Dair doesn't cooperate lol.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
THIS FINALLY EXPLAINS WHY AT TOURNAMENTS I CAN GET 3-STOCKED, COUNTERPICK POKEFLOATS AND WIN!!!

Really, I've been dominated by people, then I go pokefloats and they have no clue what to do XD. If the previous match was really close, I pick yoshi's story (neutral) for marth, but if I don't think I can win there, I go Pokefloats and hope they don't know what they're doing.
Heh lol, i really don't have a problem with the stage in itself, i can do pretty well on it actually.
I just used the stage as an example of my L-canceling problem. Another example would short hop and do an arial from a platform and land on the ground (below the platform), I can't do it. The timing feels unnatural to me.
the problem is that I think "press L X amount of time after the fast fall" like I said, so I sort of have to re-learn l canceling now i think :(.
I can do tons of crazy **** in this game like SHDLing in lightning mode, moonwalk->edgehog with ganon (much harder then moonwalking across the stage with falcon), triple nair (a non-diing) falco with falcon (you need to be really fast to do that), pivot fsmashes about 80% of the time, shffl stupidly fast with fox, etc... but I can't l cancel unless it's in a shffl or normal full-jumped arial, because I learned it the wrong way >.> it's so annoying

ynnek123

Smash Ace
JCshines(max2 is the best i can Dx) Drillshines(I can only do 2 in a row and then i start to fullhop dair), moonwalking(can only do it with link, and its really sucky n_n),shdl(i can sometimes do 5 in a row and other times i cant pull of a single one) and SWD(i don't get the timing at all :p) thats about it, waveshine was actually very easy IMO

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Waveshining, foloowed by Marth's neutarl B timing, i've perfected my landings somewhat, but haven't gotten around to it to truly master it.

EDIT
Dropping down off the ledge and then wall jumping without using my second jump
Short hop double laser (I can do it consistently if I move my left thumb to the B button and jump with X, but I can't press X and move to the B button with my right thumb in time...)
ha, ha, I had this same problem when I used YLink who in particular game me the hardest time in wall jumping.

also, the opposite of what you mention for short hop is true to me, I actually have a hard time using my left thumb while pressing y instead.

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
The timing feels unnatural to me.
the problem is that I think "press L X amount of time after the fast fall" like I said, so I sort of have to re-learn l canceling now i think :(.
lol this is the same problem I have. Maybe if I practice without worrying about L-canceling and then incorporate it or idk:psycho:
Let me know if you get something to work >.>

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^Glad to know I'm not the only one with that problem lol. I've been thinking about switching buttons that I l cancel with, like pressing Z or something... but on the other hand thats physically uncomfortable lol (for me) so prolly not. Also I might get the same problem even if I start doing it with another button >.>
Maybe practice l canceling without fast falling?
Like randomly jumping around doing arials with a char you don't play as (different falling speed) on a stage with uneven terrain (like pokefloats), l canceling everything, and not fast falling at all. And then, later on, add fast falling here and there, with different timings. And lets not forget to hit stuff aswell, since hitlag can **** up your timing (**** this game is hard)
In fact, that might work O.o And I just thought of it now lol *starts practicing*
Utilt.

Wait I still can't utilt. NVM.
LMFAO! Word, this game is WAY to sensitive. You almost HAVE to start tilting it beforehand (while in the lag of something) to not accidently jump or usmash.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
connecting shinebairs with fox. dunno how the **** people do it so fast.

for a while moonwalking was like impossible but im ok at it now.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
well i just started trying to do this and im not sure what its called but..all u do it short jump, Dair with the c-stick, fastfall then L-cancel.. its just really hard with fox cuz hes one of that hardest characters to short jump with..

VA

Smash Hero
Learning how to hit with fox's shine then turnaround and bair is really difficult. Also alternating waveshine with fox is kind of hard. getting used to cancelling shine with analogue instead of Y was really odd...

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Short hopping with certain characters was(and is) very difficult for me. Most notably, I've never been able to short hop with Samus. I heard she's one of the most difficult characters to short hop with, so that makes me feel a little better, but still...nehhhh....

VA

Smash Hero
Try short hop fast fall missle cancels with her, it's a nightmare. I learnt them when I mained her only to find out they weren't really all that useful. I thought you could use them like SHL but was sadly mistaken as they are much harder to pull off and way WAY less practicle.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Yhea, short hopping was really hard in the beginning. In fact, if I hadn't learned L canceling in such a ****ed up way, I would've probably said short hopping.
But once your fingers get strong & fast enough from all the practice it gets easier.

The hardest part is moving your fingers at high speeds while maintaining your precision.
Im practicing fox SHFFL->reverse utilts (like SilentWolf does all the time) now. It's a good example of a tech that requires speed and precision.
It's really good though: at percents where nair will combo into utilt it's actually the most reliable nair follow up you have. the shine wont combo if you shine them in the air (and they usually lift slightly from the ground by the nair), and jab combos aren't always gauranteed.

Reverse jabs are really hard aswell, btw. Atleast if you wanna do them fast enough for a reverse thunders.
Pick up marth and base your entire playstyle around utilting species. Do it to tons of level ones. That's how I learned XD.

If you really can't do it, you could always just pick up ganondorf.
LOL

BTW, I wan't SW to post in this thread :p

err

Smash Journeyman
umm sometimes i just fire a laser instead of shining ^_^
that's what happens when you're crashing after a caffeine rush.

also i'm ****ty at waveshining backwards w/out turning around in the shine. its my **** lazy left thumb angling for the wavedash too soon.

@ whoever couldn't get used to analog stick for JC a shine -> i started doing it after watching so many Masashi / Thunders fox dittos. Their double jumps look so fluid (and they do it soooo freakin often) ... well lets change topics before this becomes a Masashi <3 fest (or did those kids all switch to brawl?)

BTW, I wan't SW to post in this thread :p
"finding time to smash when i'm too busy boning every girl that likes my tech skills."
there ya go

VA

Smash Hero
Silentwolf has too many fanboys...and yeah I just heard it was easier to use analogue to jump out of shine. It is in the end just a werid adjustment.

err

Smash Journeyman
Silentwolf has too many fanboys...and yeah I just heard it was easier to use analogue to jump out of shine. It is in the end just a werid adjustment.
yes he does, though i'm not one.

i joke with my friend about tech skill being directly proportional to game. so yea. laugh

plus i'm too busy ridin isai's @#&# w00t

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
That's why you jump with Y.
Seriously, Y makes everything a lot easier. xD

XACE-K

Smash Master
I suck at moonwalking. To make it worse, I main Falcon who has the best moonwalk but I'm unable to perform it.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
That's why you jump with Y.
Seriously, Y makes everything a lot easier. xD
Does it? I don't know, I've used X ever since the game came out. For all 1000+ hours of gameplay I have in. I've tried to use Y, but it feels so weird. I miss short hops with Y, but I still have been attempting to start using it. I find it's easier to go from X to the C stick though. Maybe it's because I'm used to it.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
did someone say LHDL XD, I guess being a Falco player, I'm slightly bias. But I can never seem to get fox's SHDL, so I just don't play fox XD. SHDL is definately the hardest tech for me, even if I claw... M2K is so gimmicky... ;)

--P2

ynnek123

Smash Ace
did someone say LHDL XD, I guess being a Falco player, I'm slightly bias. But I can never seem to get fox's SHDL, so I just don't play fox XD. SHDL is definately the hardest tech for me, even if I claw... M2K is so gimmicky... ;)

--P2
lol LHDL is ******* easy, try shinebair at really high percents xD
also, moonwalking>>>>>>>>>>shdl in terms of difficulty(or I just don't know how to do it :p
You dont play fox just b/c you're not fast enough to do a useless tech? You're missing out.
QFT, very wise words xD

Top Bottom