• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What video games touched your life most?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=4973]What video game touched your life most?[/drupal]

For me, it would probably be a tie between Goldeneye 64 and MGS3. ( and obviously Star Fox )

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Melee by far changed me in ways I couldn't imagine. There were other awesome games of course but all it did is make me think of possibilities of this world.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Pokémon (in general)

There are other games I could put on this list but those are a whisker above.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Too many to list. The original Mario games probably had the most impact on me as a person.

Games I'll always look fondly upon:

Super Mario Bros.
Street Fighter 2
Bomberman series
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Phoenix Wright
Mario Kart series
Smash Bros series
Pokemon Blue/Red

Most of my favourite games are ones I played with my sister or my dad as a kid.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Clannad

Its like the greatest visual novel ever

I'll also say smash, because it made me stop being a sore loser.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
The World Ends With You and Solatorobo. Both had incredible stories and I will probably remember them for the rest of my life and still be in awe.

Another one is Tales of Vesperia. The main character made a lot of decisions that really challenged me and tested my morals.

:038:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pokemon Blue (and then Silver) got me through my parent's divorce and subsequent abandonment at age 8.

Then Braid through my self abondonment a few years ago.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Tales of the Abyss
Baten Kaitos
Tales of Vesperia
FFIV
NIS games

It's thanks to these games primarily that my love of music blossomed. Each one inspired me in so many different ways that I can't even begin to explain. I owe a lot to them.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The World Ends With You, just because of this one line:

"Enjoy the Moment with all your might/whether its gloomy/whether its bright!" - Sanae Hanekoma

Also, the Iron Man game for another quote:

"Life is a blast. Living life is the game." - Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.)

I'll also add in some Devil May Cry 3, some Okami, as well as some Halo 3 in the mix. (Halo 3 = good times with friends.)

Seraphiel

Smash Rookie
Contra, Golden Axe, Altered Beast

Super Mario Bros. 2

Sonic the HedgeHog - Original

Ogre Battle

Final Fantasy I & VII - Of course

Mario Kart, THPS, and Smash Bros through college

DDR

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Melee, the rest had no lasting impact whatsoever on my life and were just to be enjoyed. Melee just changed me in so many ways, socially, I turned into a different person because of it. Oh, and Runescape, because it was what I did for 5 years and probably had an impact because it was playing with real people.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
Melee, the entire Starfox series, and every Sonic game made between 1991 and 2001.

Sonic made me love speed.

Speed made me love Melee.

Starfox made me waste many hours of my life deciding whether to main Fox or Falco in Melee.

Melee made me think, "Graduating high school is for ****ies!"

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
In terms of actually affecting my life, probably Metroid Prime Hunters.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Brawl: I played had this game since May 2008. I played it competitive since 2009. Fox mccloud is a reason why I play this game so much, and his green costume is beautiful. I train to get better and win tournaments. I also learn Macth ups, AT's, counter picks and learn how to use another character.

Ninja gaiden black: The game is good, takes skill to play, good story, multiple chioces of weapons (Doku's sword is my favorite one, because you can steal peoples souls with it.), bosses are quite dufficult and missons are wonderful. I only use 4 weapons in the game. Here are the weapons names and there advantages and disadvantages:

Lunar staff Advantages:
■Well Rounded
■High Range
■Crowd Control
■High Stun Lun
Lunar staff Disadvantages:
■Medium Strength
■Medium-Low Speed
■No more spike ball moves when changed from 2 to Sigma 2

Dragon sword Advantages:
■Arguably the most versatile weapon in the game.
■Effective combos.
■Becomes considerably stronger when The Eye of The Dragon is fitted.
■The Flying Swallow is one of the best moves in the games.

Dragon sword Disadvantages:
■Average Range.
■Ending the Flying Swallow chain leaves Ryu wide open.
■Not much stun on large enemies.
■Flying Swallow less effective against enemies in Ninja Gaiden Black.

Kitesu has the same advantages and diadvantages like the Dragon sword.

Dark Dragon blade Advantages:
■High damage, strongest weapon after the Unlabored Flawlessness at low health in the game.
■Almost every move is a guard break.
■Fast short combos in the hands of an expert.
■More likely to cause a stun effect on enemies.
■No Upgrades (except Unsealing storyline wise).

Dark Dragon blade disadvantages:
■Feels slow and clunky for new players.
■Some moves put Ryu off balance, leaving him open to attacks.
■Small move list.

Samurai shodown: I played this game since I was in the 3rd grade. The game is kinda like street fighter 2 with weapons like a swords, claw, ect. You have 12 characters in the game. Here are the characters including 2 other unplayble characters:

Haomaru: The main character of the series. He loves to drink wine and knows alot of physics. He is the lowest rank of a samurai, because he dosen't do anything only but fighting and traveling. He also saves the world from a evil lord named Amakusa.

Ukyo: He is the rival of Haomaru, because he is very sloppy and dirty. He is in love with a woman, but she engaged with another man. He has a serious disease and he has to eat fruit. He has 4 or 5 girls who are in love with him. But, he is not in lover with them.

Hanzo: The mightest Ninja of his clan. He kill anyone. No matter who you are. His son body is taken away by the lord amakusa. He later gets his body back, but his soul is still in hell. His wife and his second son helps him to bring back his son soul. His wife gets his soul back, but one of them has to go to hell if they want get his soul back. So hanzo's wife volenntered and she died.

Genan: Is a green skined human and the lamest character in the series. That's it. =I

Earthquake: Same as genan.

Galford: is the american version of hanzo. He has no brothers, only sisters. His farther was killed by a man named Draco. He was trained by Hanzo's mother and has a dog named poppy and he tought his dog the same tricks he knows.

Nakoruru: She is the most popularest Samurai shodown character. Amakusa wants to kill everything in site. Nakoruru is the defender of nature and must stopped amakusa from harming nature.

Charlotte: She is a minor French noble who prefers the company of commoners.[2] Whilst on her travels through the French countryside, she caught word of a "series of calamities" with no natural pretenses. She leaves her home to investigate and ends up traveling to Japan in order to do battle with Amakusa who is the source of the evil plaguing her home country.[20] Afterwards, she returns home to take part in the French Revolution

Jubei: He decides to become a ronin by the time Samurai Shodown takes place, abandoning the strict and regulated life of the dojo and Japanese nobility, to pursue personal enlightenment. Throughout the series, Jubei is hired by the shogunate to kill the demons that wander Japan.

Wang fu:He hails from a powerful family that resides in China and acts as a general in the Qing Dynasty. With his cunning battle strategies and powerful army, Wan-fu seeks to unify all of China. Hearing news of "powerful warriors" gathering in Japan, he sets out in hopes of recruiting them

Tam Tam: He is the greatest warrior and hero of his village, Green Hell. The location, according to the SS map, is in Venezuela ("Green Hell" was the nickname of Kourou, a town in French Guiana, however it is portrayed as having a civilization similar to the Aztecs and Incas, which are found in neither Venezuela nor the Guianas). Hearing from the village elders that their sacred artifact is missing, he takes the responsibility of retrieving their stolen treasure, the mysterious jewel called the "Palenke Stone" (named after Palenque). He retrieves it and returns peace to his village.[125] He also protects his village from Amakusa a second time, but fails to prevent the thievery of the

Kyoshiro: He fights with a naginata and fans. True to his profession, he speaks in a theatrical dialect as though he were in a play, letting his audience and opponent know how or what he is doing. For instance, when he is defeated, he cries "I feel regretful!" or when he jumps, he cries, "And here (I am)!".

Legned of zelda OOT: I've played this game since I was 5 years old. The game has a good story, fantastic music, and enemies to kill. I love the red tunic and the mirror sheild. I'm doing this to make it more difficult:

3 hearts
small magic bar
you can not buy anything that can heal you
you can only heal yourself by finding hearts
no save

And I Amost beat the game by doing this.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
No one else had video games save them from deep stuff?

I guess I'm alone on the sadness boat lol.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
It's really true for all of us. I always know video games will be there for me. When the human world seems unbelievably ****ty, we can immerse ourselves in a new one. Whether it be a beautiful galaxy or a post-apocalyptic war zone, it's sublimity that we can't find in our physical existence.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
King of Fighters 98'
Sonic The Hedgehog
Super Mario Bros.
Tales of Symphonia
Jazz Jackrabit
Pokemon Silver
Jump Ultimate Stars
SMASH (General + mods)

The list could personally go on, but I'll stop here.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's really true for all of us. I always know video games will be there for me. When the human world seems unbelievably ****ty, we can immerse ourselves in a new one. Whether it be a beautiful galaxy or a post-apocalyptic war zone, it's sublimity that we can't find in our physical existence.
Word .

Spyro

Smash Ace
The games I remember the most while playing as a kid had the most effect on me, mostly because of nostalgia and the memories I have while I was playing the games.

Spyro The Dragon
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Pokemon Yellow
Rayman

Melee will proable chance my life even more once I really get into the competitive community.

Life

Smash Hero
The list is huge.

Pokemon in general, but particularly the Orre games and PMD2.

Chrono Trigger. Something about Crono going through the portal after Marle... the party deciding to kill the beast that's going to destroy the future, even though it's not their problem... Crono standing back up after getting pummeled by Lavos... that game makes me feel glad to be alive.

Smash. I'm sure you can all relate.

Metroid Fusion. You can only avoid your problems for so long; spend the time you run preparing for when you turn to face them.

Just the highlights.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Street Fighter 4
Phoenix Wright series
Mother series.
Pikmin 2 - Kind of helped me in my first semester of high school. I wasn't emotionally ready at the time and for some reason the little guys kept me happy.
Metroid Other M (commercial)
Final Fantasy 7 and 8
Starfox 64 - Probably the reason why I'm sympathetic towards furries.
Super Mario 64 - First game I ever had.
Smash

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong Country trilogy, mostly 1 and 2. Especially 2.
Pokemon Red, Yellow, Gold and Ruby
Golden Sun 1 and 2
All Smash games

Some others to, but these the most

:phone:

Seraphiel

Smash Rookie
No one else had video games save them from deep stuff?

I guess I'm alone on the sadness boat lol.
I'd be happy to go one for one on the hardship train in PM but I think we can all relate to an escape from something. The great thing about a community is that you are never alone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Might be a bit early, but I say Zelda Skyward Sword as well.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Smash, the mindset and perspective of thinking competitively

Pokemon, years of my childhood.

Dota, getting over the fear of being judged and flamed lol

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the only game that ever caused me to feel positive while playing it all the way through was Portal 2's single player and Kirby's Epic Yarn. Even then, they didn't touch me much, other then waste time I should've been spending on stuff like school. Sad, I know (Or not if your in the mood to troll me), but hear me out.

As much as I'd love to be a typical Smash Player and love Melee like it was the holy grail, I don't feel it.

What am I doing wrong? What makes me feel like the game is overrated (My Sig Aside)?

Is it because it's outdated? Or does the issue lie within a garbage third-party gamecube controller...? Or did the fanbase overhype it so much that my expectations were too high...?

Either way, I'm bringing back to GameStop where it belongs. That, along with Just Dance 2 (which my Mom got, btw) and Bionicle for the Gamecube. I'd say this is the most disappointing game I've ever played. Not the worst game, THAT award goes to Sonic Unleashed (Wii Version).

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Super Mario 64
Pokemon
Super Smash Bros.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Sonic Generations
Call of Duty 4 ( the rest are all ****ing ****)
the Gears series
Guitar Hero III

GH3 is probably the only one who's actually affected me irl since its the game that finally got me to like a specific type of music genre instea of just listening to whatever because I didn't have anything better to hear

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Melee and Yu-Gi-Oh. These games got me through some rough patches in my childhood.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Smash Series
Pokemon Series
Super Mario World
Sonic the Hedgehog (1)
Kirby's Adventure
Chu Chu Rocket (was my first game)

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I grew up with video games. With new series like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and even Elder Scrolls with massive immense worlds, I definitely grew up with certain games in my life. Some inadvertently changed me for the better. Here's a quick story of three certain games that shaped me at different points in my life.

Younger years: Pokemon Series; Pokemon Red
Man I remember the day my parents pulled out Gameboys for my brother and I. We were probably 7 or 8 then R/B first came out, and we were hooked. We raced each other to see who would get farther, and we built different teams to combat one another. We loved it. Since we were young, we've kept up with all the games, so recently that we brought B/W on release, and looking forward to B/W2. Total side note, does anyone remember the first time they beat the E4/Rival? That sense of accomplishment was outstanding for me. I remember it well, same for your first level 100. The pride that overcomes you.

Middle school: Super Smash Brothers Series; Smash Bros Melee
Into my pre-teens, Smash Bros Series definitely touched my life. I'm pretty sure Melee in particular was the first video game I brought with my own money. My brother got the then recently released Final Fantasy X, and I got Melee. It was Boxing Day 2001. I'll never forget that day. That game took hours of my life up, and somehow taught me the value of patience. It also taught me, that with practice comes perfection. At the time, I was considered one of the best overall players in the area, or so I thought. In the end, obviously my main was Yoshi. I couldn't have spoiled that for anyone.

High school: Steel Launcher Arena International; aka S.L.A.I.
When I hit middle school and even to a point, highschool, S.L.A.I. for ps2 (aka Phantom Crash for x-box users), really hit a cord with me. I mean really hit a cord. It was the first game ever, that I 100% beat without cheating. For those who've actually played this rare gem of a game, it's exremely long with an almost stupid learning curve. Very enteraining and fun though. Somehow I got engulfed in the world they created, kind of like Medabots for adults. (Which total side note, I loved Medabots much more than Digimon or Pokemon, as a show at the time, no games were released to my knowledge).
S.L.A.I. took me over 4 years to beat, at one point having a mech totally unconventional to how everyone else was doing it, I somehow started to even win online with him. Point is, the game really saved me when I was bullied and even harassed in that time in my life, letting my anger out in video games, rather than onto others. They definitely should remake this for the PSN, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's sad to say, but at some point we all have a low.

For me, S.L.A.I. over SSB really pulled me through the bullying and harassment I faced in highschool. Now I look back and smile, because of where I went and what I do now (finishing college, looking onto my career) and decided to not sulk when bullied brought me down. On the plus, I'm fairly optimistic in the respect that one day I'll be their own boss.

TL;DR?
Pokemon (as a series, but mainly Red)
S.L.A.I (ps2)
SSB (Series) touched my life.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Melee. I've made so many friends through that game and played so many hours with friends (competitive and non-competitive), it's ridiculous. And so many great memories, too, whether tournaments, or casual times with friends. Some of them are long gone. Some are no longer my friends anymore. But I will always hold these memories and experiences dear to me.

Also, Super Mario Bros. 3. I grew up watching my father and grandfather compete at that game to beat each other amused like heck. Once my dad kept dying at World 1-3 because my grandfather dared him to go that way (he always went the 1-4 way). He was frustrated, and I took his controller for him, played for him, and beat the level for him. I was 2. I don't remember this, but my grandfather use to joke about how the prodigal son outplayed his father while in diapers (actually it was big boy pullups). But yeah, I played this game a lot in my childhood with my father and grandfather. Even though my grandfather died by the time I was 6, I still have an incredible amount of memories of him thanks to this game. There is a sentimental value there with a lot of memories that will never be erased. Plus, it's an incredible game.

Another game that I hold to sentimental value that I love is Metroid Fusion. I was in a tough spot in my life. I was a super jock athlete/video game nerd who got the worst of both worlds, but was too caught up in himself to care. Then I contracted an illness that basically preventing me from doing much physical activity for the next 2 years of my life and prevented me from being fully healthy until I was 18 (2 years ago). I went from basing my life around sports to being told there was a chance I could die before my 13th birthday. So I just sat in bed, with nothing to do, and no motivation. I was mailed this present by my (other) grandfather (he thought it looked like a game I'd like) after he first heard of my illness. This game, while simple in story, was deep. You were always on the run, always on edge, never fully in control... it felt like I was living out my real life.You were always afraid of SA-X, but you knew you would have to face her every once in a while. And the ending... I don't know why, but the ending is perfect. It's just so incredible how this game turned out. All the hidden content, all the boss battles, all the struggles and crap Samus went through. It hit me deep for a multitude of reasons.

Top Bottom