• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Street Fighter players think about Melee.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
That looks like it says Supreme on that hat.

I'm going to think to myself that it says Dirt below that.

Also while the Brawl community can suck sometimes... Actually yeah, the Brawl community does suck pretty hard a lot. I mean, apparently we need some stupid red/yellow card system :/

Melee commentary already tends to be pretty good... Maybe the better Melee commentators need to help the Brawl ones learn to actually commentate.

Personally I don't care what SRK and such think since I haaaaaaaaaaaaate Street Fighter, but... if we want respect from them we have a loooooooong way to go, and it involves making the Brawl community better too. No matter how much anyone would like otherwise, nobody sees seperate Brawl and Melee communities outside the Brawl and Melee communities. We're just looked at as one huge group.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Also while the Brawl community can suck sometimes... Actually yeah, the Brawl community does suck pretty hard a lot. I mean, apparently we need some stupid red/yellow card system :/

Melee commentary already tends to be pretty good... Maybe the better Melee commentators need to help the Brawl ones learn to actually commentate.

To your first comment here. The community is not at fault as much as the people in charge for not instituting the system until after the fact. You are, sadly, correct. This also has to do with them trying to make things more professional. They only fail in not having people in charge that are not seen as nothing but controlling. Bottom line it can work but its like if it was apart of a series of tournaments.

Basically when EVO does it...its EVO the biggest event of the year. When Unity did it there was not consequence. You miss tournaments that are small and not huge ones. Big difference.

Melee commentary like Hbox vs Armada? That is good? I am sorry but Melee, nor Brawl, are perfect but it depends on who is doing it. For me I have the best commentators that know how to be professional and have fun without resorting to low-grade uneducated antics.

Bottom line to fix things people need to stop assuming and start doing. We assume brawl is bad but in reality both need to be improved. I am in both communities so you cannot argue that both are not perfect.

BTW if you want good commentary listen to Apex ;)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh HBox vs. Armada was trash commentary, I agree.

Also I won't be listening to Apex, I'll be there.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ya as will most :)

but trust me I make sure commentary is amazing at Apex events.

Sadly most people are not as caring about their events and rather just run them to run them :(

Bones0

Smash Legend
Alex Strife dominated this thread.

Instead of trying to get Melee in with the traditional fighter crowd, has anyone considered doing it the other way around and have them come to us? Especially for large tournaments, I think it could be really beneficial to host Melee along with SF or other traditional fighters. If SF players attend a Melee tournament because of the SF side event and the side event is run exceptionally well, not only will they have major respect for the Melee community, but they could start returning the favor by including us at their tournaments or even playing Melee since they'd be hanging out with our community all the time.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Why that is a good idea I will just say this.

Do major Halo events ( community ran not MLG ) add other games because they have this need to justify their game to others? Do they feel the need to go out of their way to have Counter-Strike added because they want to be seen on equal par with them ( Yes this was an actually issue in the FPS community console vs pc ) ? The answer to that is no.

Let me explain this. Our main thing is not that we are not respected among ourselves. I would cite an issue that happened at a tournament but I will not put that person on blast. I will just say when someone who is in both communities calls this game "bad" and challenges us to "real fighting games" that shows that we do not respect ourselves enough to accept things in this game.

Does that mean that we should not try this? No but it should be done when then person hosting can do it out of love of the games not to "unite" us. People always find reasons to segregate each other. Whether it is money, race, creed, or something as silly as a competitive game vs another. This is human nature to want a feeling of superiority. It is why people push themselves to be better players. What we , as a community, need to do is to try and become bigger than just the FGC community and become a great community on our own.

When I first started hosting there was a group called DA ( Deadly Alliance ). They ran the biggest tournaments in NYC. I was not apart of the smash community and I loved the game. Instead of just letting them run tournaments the way they wanted and complain I , instead took an approach of running my own and ... the rest is history. Point is that we cannot look for acceptance but to find it within ourselves and build our events up to be bigger and better. Trust me the people that matter will respect it. The ones that hate are just the miserable people who would rather feel better than help others...and in the end they are the miserable ones.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Funny thing, I was coming back from Capcom fight club last night and I was hanging out with smashers/fighting game peeps and thing kinda was brought up. A pretty good point was also brought up that I wanted to share, the people who usually crap on smash as a whole are lower-end players you never hear about top players saying anything about our game. And one of the guys we were hanging out with also mentioned how he respected Melee for what it is, he doesn't play it but he respects it.

That's honestly just what it comes down to, people will always think what they want to think about our game but we should really just focus on making our community the best that it can be and when we get those hyped moments we can talk about how awesome we are. We love the game, and for the most part we're all happy to be a part of this community.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Why that is a good idea I will just say this.

Do major Halo events ( community ran not MLG ) add other games because they have this need to justify their game to others? Do they feel the need to go out of their way to have Counter-Strike added because they want to be seen on equal par with them ( Yes this was an actually issue in the FPS community console vs pc ) ? The answer to that is no.

Let me explain this. Our main thing is not that we are not respected among ourselves. I would cite an issue that happened at a tournament but I will not put that person on blast. I will just say when someone who is in both communities calls this game "bad" and challenges us to "real fighting games" that shows that we do not respect ourselves enough to accept things in this game.

Does that mean that we should not try this? No but it should be done when then person hosting can do it out of love of the games not to "unite" us. People always find reasons to segregate each other. Whether it is money, race, creed, or something as silly as a competitive game vs another. This is human nature to want a feeling of superiority. It is why people push themselves to be better players. What we , as a community, need to do is to try and become bigger than just the FGC community and become a great community on our own.

When I first started hosting there was a group called DA ( Deadly Alliance ). They ran the biggest tournaments in NYC. I was not apart of the smash community and I loved the game. Instead of just letting them run tournaments the way they wanted and complain I , instead took an approach of running my own and ... the rest is history. Point is that we cannot look for acceptance but to find it within ourselves and build our events up to be bigger and better. Trust me the people that matter will respect it. The ones that hate are just the miserable people who would rather feel better than help others...and in the end they are the miserable ones.
Yes, I completely agree that would should attempt to better ourselves as a community, but it would be naive to think that "getting in" with the rest of the fighting game community wouldn't help us improve A LOT. Even with quality tournaments, streams, and videos, being included (not just as a side sampling) at events like EVO would help so much to increase our raw numbers, as well as potentially funnel some more professional organizations our way. You manage to run tournaments very professionally, but not everyone feels like taking that approach when, at the end of the day, it was still just some underground tournament. Having actual sponsors are virtually guaranteed to be followed by an increase in tournament quality. Like you said, we aren't going to reach a higher level of quality by piggy-backing on other games. Getting on good terms with SRK and Co. isn't about justifying our game, but rather about justifying our community.

It's definitely a balancing act. We need to improve our community from within, but as our quality increases, so will our appeal to the other fighting game communities, and we should be doing our best to reach their standards considering they have currently upheld a much more professional standard than ours.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Yes, I completely agree that would should attempt to better ourselves as a community, but it would be naive to think that "getting in" with the rest of the fighting game community wouldn't help us improve A LOT. Even with quality tournaments, streams, and videos, being included (not just as a side sampling) at events like EVO would help so much to increase our raw numbers, as well as potentially funnel some more professional organizations our way. You manage to run tournaments very professionally, but not everyone feels like taking that approach when, at the end of the day, it was still just some underground tournament. Having actual sponsors are virtually guaranteed to be followed by an increase in tournament quality. Like you said, we aren't going to reach a higher level of quality by piggy-backing on other games. Getting on good terms with SRK and Co. isn't about justifying our game, but rather about justifying our community.

It's definitely a balancing act. We need to improve our community from within, but as our quality increases, so will our appeal to the other fighting game communities, and we should be doing our best to reach their standards considering they have currently upheld a much more professional standard than ours.

If we all work together we can justify our community without having people from SRK help us out. I am not saying, though , that it would be bad but , rather , we can do everything they have by simply doing it for ourselves.

What Apex and I are striving for is something like EVO. We are doing what will be the next step in our competitive community. Instead of just being a tournament we are creating an experience that only our community can have.

In regards to streaming that is more on the people who run our streams now. People like VG Bootcamp are making a great stream but other than that no one else has stepped up. In SRK there is Offcast, TS, Level|up and many others. We have just one when we should have more. Instead people are content with having people act like hoodlums on camera. We can be more if we , ourselves , take it a little more seriously.

Sponsors will come and go, trust me, and we can get them. I will just say Apex has a lot going for it than just tournament and qualifiers we are doing something that people will remember for years to come.

It is more of a callout to ourselves that I write this. If we are to be better we need to sell ourselves. Show the data that AlphaZealot puts together is put to good use.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Bring back Husband and Wife and make them permanent commentary at majors. Their stuff at MLG was amazing, then years later, at Pound IV they were back on the mic and haven't lost a beat. This is ideal commentary imo.

"durrr you hate waffles durrr"

no, not at all. Waffles=Yipes to me. Hilarious, hype commentary. It's fun to hear at smaller tournaments, but no one really wants to hear that stuff at a major. Best case scenario: someone give Waffles a mic to hype the crowd, while Husband and Wife are in charge on the stream commentary. They did it with Yipes at Evo.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Marvel 2 still has a community?

:troll:

Actually, the fact that Marvel 2 is kinda dead is a shame. Stupid Marvel 3 >__>

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah.. Marvel 3 ruined the community too. It's still there but they're a lot less.. aggressive I guess because of all these new school players that can't handle any type of trash talk.

Pengie

Smash Lord
That and the fact that the FGC operates almost like a business now; people aren't going to be as willing to talk **** if they know that their sponsors are potentially going to drop them for it.

And to be fair, the old Marvel community did go a little too far sometimes; I'd love to see someone like Dark Prince in this new scene :laugh:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The thing is, it depends on where you're from. If you're from an urban place like me, that stuffs normal and you know exactly how to handle it.

The only time DP really crossed the line was when he pulled a knife on that dude in FL.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I hate the fact that capcom games now have a ******** comeback mechanic. Ultras, ok. I can deal with that. But X-Factor? Yeah, let's reward the losing player. That's almost as bad as "pity Final Smashes" in Brawl.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
The idea that people need to man up is ridiculous. If we are to be taken seriously we need to not act like a bunch of ghetto uneducated fools and act more civilized. You think people would want to sponsor someone who curses and hollers like some reject out of a rasp video? Nope. Sponsors want good representation so that they are in the light of the public more than the actions of staid player.

Yes people like how are good for locals but a major event there are not going to watch what they say because that's their "thing". Most people running major event's have people that can speak well not loud. Even then I will take something intelligent than the usual " oh **** dawn this ming hype". Yea it can be fun but we want to grow beyond that.

:phone:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Again, you didn't grow up the way I did sooooo..

idgaf.

Acting like "ghetto uneducated fools" is fun for me. Sorry, it is. Of course I know when, and when not to do it, but nowadays I can't do it at all. It kinda sucks that I can't be myself.

I'm not uneducated btw. That was kinda offensive imo.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I grew up in the Bronx and have dealt with trash before. Just because I am educated does not mean I do not know what people go to. I am thinking about the new people who get into the scene. You know the ones who are shy and want to know people.

Look at an event cot5. The commentators trashed a guy who was going to his first tournament. It was right in his face and I find out he has this bad view of the community. Do you think that is how we should act? Should our response be lol man up? No because that is a horrible outlook and got many communities no where. Look at madden it is a bunch of failed ex-atheletes who have a fist fight nearly every event that is occurring. Should we be like that or be like a community such as counter-strike and star craft where we making more money than those cause we act civil?

Sorry but just because you had a ****ty neighborhood does not mean you cannot rise above it and be better.

By the way I am not saying you are I am saying acting that way wont help. You can still be yourself without hurting others.

I am all for trash talk I just think newer people need to be treated better not like pot fillers.

Sorry if I offended you I meant no disrespect.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I don't just randomly trash talk. That's ********. I thought you were against all trash talk. Okay, I understand what you were saying. And I didn't put the offensive thing against you bro. I know who you are and I respect your opinion.

I do still like trash talk though. But only when it's called for. I see it as hypeeeee. Lets be serious, DP was like THE BEST THING to happen to Marvel 2, PERIOD. He brung in sooooooo many new players it was ridiculous. He was banned from evo then unbanned because of the crazy amount of people that said they were just going to see the DP money matches.

Just a little history.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I know a lot of history for all games. It is kinda something I enjoy looking up. Thing is though that yea he brought hype but looking at it from an outside sponsor perspective...how does that look. Back then srk/evo had no faith Capcom would support them and just did it for the community. That is why it worked.

Why it did not work was because if you are not someone tha is not of a certain personality you will be timid to attend. Would you go to an event that might have a fist fight? You say yes cause you might not mind but some might just stay home. With the new gen games they have enough casual features to keep people playing plus people are more respectful to new players cause they realize what is at stake. If they all kept doing what they did do you think Capcom would help work with evo? doubt it imo

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it was an excellent example of how uninviting the brawl community can be. fairly irrelevant in a discussion about expanding the Melee community however. what else can we work on? the commentary point is a good one.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Melee community has done it as well. Instead of welcoming new players we have some players spending hours acting like a bunch of teenage girls talking about others behind their back. they have also went out of their ways to put down players calling them "******s " and the like. If we are to improve we need more players like kage. Who can talk with players to make them feel comfy. To me smash is smash but I do understand your point about bringing up melee specific issues.

Commentating can change only when hosts start to take hosting more serious. Some people can just host but they are not organizers. Some hosts just get a venue and say "come here cause im known" but not do the little things like getting things recorded and commentated. Yea some of these events are local but it is amazing how a local player can get support if you post bids and talk about them. This is not saying the host should do all of it themselves but, people need to step up and put this together.

We should also try to speak with newer players. Instead of being in our own circle of friends say hi to a new person...get to know them a little and make them welcomed. Even if they are not good you never know how cool they can be.

Bring more setups help...more setups mean more friendlies...better experience for everyone.

Try to introduce side events and get ppl to have fun rather than super serious tournament sets. Again better experience.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Create multiple spawn points where the item "Alex Strife" spawns, which in turn would increase the amount, outcome and epicness of tournaments 100 fold.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Putting the games aside, I find the Melee and Brawl community pretty similar to each other.
There are lots of cool people as well as a ton of immature/annoying people in the scene.
It's going to take awhile or something big to make the smash community feel closer to the traditional FGC.

It really doesn't help that the smash communities themselves don't even like each other.
I kinda feel like that's the first step to overcome.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
You think we are the only people like that?

Sorry but let me tell you about the "beloved" SRK community.

This community, pretty much pushed every person not under 27 or a female away for years due to their "antics" on the forums. Imagine certain incidents in this community but instead of a few imagine a good deal.

Now top that off with the ******** elitism that would put Hitler to shame. They mocked everyone for liking a game that WASNT 3s or MVC2. It was interesting to watch people in their mid-twenties act like little kids when they didnt get their way.

You think us complaining about brawl is bad? Ok check this out. A top/well known player wanted to go to EVO this year and start a chant of "**** AE" in front of the producer of Capcom. Now, yea there are flaws with AE, but to disrespect someone who was only trying to help the community is sheer ***********. I am glad they wimped out in the end but they did get some sort of chant out there. If you have concerns about a game you bring it up in private or professionally. Starting a chant to mock a game that pretty much SAVED Evo from becoming an event that was only attended by the same small group of hardcore players. So if it was not for SF4 and that producer groups like Evil Genuis / Mad Catz / complexity would not have even came CLOSE to that game.

Oh and here is one that is interesting. A lot of people missed EVO for a few reasons. Many of them cited " well its not that great I'll go to this other tournament that will be better". Mind you this is becoming a trend in the FGC. They have become spoiled with good events that they forget EVO should be THE event to go to. I am not saying having good events is bad but for some players to not support EVO is , to me, insane. That is like saying no to MLG cause a local is better. Now, mind you, EVO was a bit pricey but had so much more than a tournament it was insane. We are talking panels, cosplay, give-a-ways and things EVO set the trend for.

Now I am not saying all FGC people are bad but you have to realize that they are extremely spoiled. For years they *****ed about capcom not making a new game. Then they do and they STILL complain. Yea we do it to but they do not realize how easy it is for them. Companies THROW money at these events. They want to sponsor people cause its a HUGE community even for locals. Some are learning on the fly while others get it instantly.

I will say this. There is a reason certain high level players that complain never get sponsored. It is because no one wants a whiny girl on their team. Does a sponsor deserve a person like Tom Brady who WHINES every time something in the game does not go their way?

Sorry if I came off too hateful I just want people to realize that no community is perfect and that we need to look at ourselves as well as others for inspiration.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You think we are the only people like that?
Never did I say that.You got the wrong idea on what I was getting at.
Sorry but let me tell you about the "beloved" SRK community.

This community, pretty much pushed every person not under 27 or a female away for years due to their "antics" on the forums. Imagine certain incidents in this community but instead of a few imagine a good deal.
When I mean FGC, I mean FGC. Not people that talk crap all day on SRK and don't go to tourneys.
SRK is pretty terrible and I know that. It's turned into GameFAQs with elitism for just being a poster on SRK.

I usually don't see forums representing what communities are like whether it is SRK, DL, or SWF.
The people I see in tourneys are way different (and better) than what I come across on the web.
Now top that off with the ******** elitism that would put Hitler to shame. They mocked everyone for liking a game that WASNT 3s or MVC2. It was interesting to watch people in their mid-twenties act like little kids when they didnt get their way.
The majority of US players didn't even like 3S. A lot of them hated it. Yes there are some people that hail 3S as a superior game but they're really really outnumbered. So many vets that played all the other SFs didn't like SF3 but still played it for awhile.

As for MvC2 I can't say much on that since I can't remember the elitism they had towards other fighters.
You think us complaining about brawl is bad? Ok check this out. A top/well known player wanted to go to EVO this year and start a chant of "**** AE" in front of the producer of Capcom. Now, yea there are flaws with AE, but to disrespect someone who was only trying to help the community is sheer ***********. I am glad they wimped out in the end but they did get some sort of chant out there. If you have concerns about a game you bring it up in private or professionally. Starting a chant to mock a game that pretty much SAVED Evo from becoming an event that was only attended by the same small group of hardcore players. So if it was not for SF4 and that producer groups like Evil Genuis / Mad Catz / complexity would not have even came CLOSE to that game.
Yup, that is pretty bad. But again, I wasn't comparing SF players to Smashers.
I am curious on who that player was since that's an awful and idiotic thing to do.
Oh and here is one that is interesting. A lot of people missed EVO for a few reasons. Many of them cited " well its not that great I'll go to this other tournament that will be better". Mind you this is becoming a trend in the FGC. They have become spoiled with good events that they forget EVO should be THE event to go to. I am not saying having good events is bad but for some players to not support EVO is , to me, insane. That is like saying no to MLG cause a local is better. Now, mind you, EVO was a bit pricey but had so much more than a tournament it was insane. We are talking panels, cosplay, give-a-ways and things EVO set the trend for.
I haven't heard much on that. I know a lot of the people's reasons was mainly for thinking they won't place well, but most of the players I've come across want to go to Evo (even if they don't plan on entering). Evo is changing which helps a lot of casual people get interested because of the things you said like panels and etc.
Now I am not saying all FGC people are bad but you have to realize that they are extremely spoiled. For years they *****ed about capcom not making a new game. Then they do and they STILL complain. Yea we do it to but they do not realize how easy it is for them. Companies THROW money at these events. They want to sponsor people cause its a HUGE community even for locals. Some are learning on the fly while others get it instantly.
It really depends on the players. A lot of the (good) players like picking up the new game to help make it grow and support it.

Some of them know that the game could be better, but regardless a lot of people think that the final product is fun and turned out great. An example is like in MvC3. A lot of people know the game has serious issues, but a lot of the vets moved onto 3 instead of dwelling on MvC2. Same in SSF4. The only games where players absolutely refused to keep alive were Super Street Fighter II and Capcom Fighting Jam.

The people that whine are just people that whine. Like I said in my previous post, there are a lot of cool people and plenty of annoying/immature people.
Sorry if I came off too hateful I just want people to realize that no community is perfect and that we need to look at ourselves as well as others for inspiration.
Nah, I understand what you mean but I think you misinterpreted me since I was agreeing with you.

I think the Smash community is big and still growing. I think that if you take away whether the players play Melee or Brawl, the communities (Melee and Brawl) are actually alike but they don't see that. It's just disheartening when TOs try to set up a big successful tourney uniting players while the players don't get along solely due to a Melee vs Brawl debate when the tourney's going on.

When I meant by the first step we need to overcome, I mean that instead of worrying about other FGCs acknowledging and accepting our games and community, we should focus on working together with the other Smash community.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
sadly dude a lot of them do go to tournaments.

A lot of the people I mentioned are well respected. The one who wanted to do the **** AE chant placed top 5 at CEO in two games ( MK / AE ).

People in tournament ( rather the people that were there for years ) complain a LOT. They always seem to find something to whine about. They are kinda spoiled.

As far as 3s people worship that game now. Which is funny cause if you look at an EVO result it has top 8 all japanese and 7 use Chun-li LOL.

People like to live through a rear-view mirror.

Regardless in order to fix things people need to step up. Most do not but I am trying to along with the Apex staff. We do not want another big tournament we want it to be THE big tournament. Go beyond everything we have seen and create something new.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
sadly dude a lot of them do go to tournaments.

A lot of the people I mentioned are well respected. The one who wanted to do the **** AE chant placed top 5 at CEO in two games ( MK / AE ).
Well that's really unfortunate. Pretty disrespectful for someone actually thinking about doing that.
As far as 3s people worship that game now. Which is funny cause if you look at an EVO result it has top 8 all japanese and 7 use Chun-li LOL.
This is Evo 2k8 right? In top 8 there were only 2 Japanese players, one from Europe and the rest from the US, with 5 Chun-Li mains in top 5 (but I'm just nitpicky right now, haha).
3rd Strike lovers hate those results for multiple things, but mostly because some of the really good US players refused to enter since they dislike the console port of it.

But I see where you get at with the Chun-Li thing. It definitely gives it a bad image too.
But there really are few few players that love 3S in the US. Even Watson made it to top 8 and played it just to show people how bad it is.
Regardless in order to fix things people need to step up. Most do not but I am trying to along with the Apex staff. We do not want another big tournament we want it to be THE big tournament. Go beyond everything we have seen and create something new.
I hope things work out the way you want to for the next Apex and best of luck.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
About commentators...

I am actually not sure what would be a good formula...

Husband + Wife are the epitome of professionalism in Smash. High quality every single time.

Waffles + Phil are wildcards...Hbox + Armada was a disaster imo, but their commentary at Genesis was one of the main reasons I really started getting interested in Melee. It felt unique, it felt exciting, and it felt like it wasn't my first time seeing professional Melee--like I had known it all my life and was watching it climax right in front of me. People suggested that commentators like Waffles + Phil should remain strictly local, but their ability for hype just seems too good to me to not have in the GF's of a national.

But I'm a noob, whaddo I no?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Tbh if the brawl community wants the melee community to start liking them or whatever then they should host nationals that are brawl+melee. Genesis, Pound, etc....melee guys have run big Brawl events. Unless you count Alex Strife as a Brawl guy (and I don't, I think hes more of a smash TO in general; Zenith was his first event iirc and thats Melee), I can't think of a national that Brawl ppl made multigame.

Iunno, the major resentment is pretty simple. Very easy to solve. You don't even have to address the fact that most of us think Brawl is garbage (just being honest); plenty of communities have run with players thinking like that. Trust me, plenty of people hate AE or MVC3 or MK but they still attend EVO to play their favorite game. The resentment from the Melee side is that the Brawl community has taken everything they know from the Melee community, and has done almost nothing in return. In fact, its been the exact opposite. Melee players get treated like second class citizens on the site they built. You have to scroll all the way down to get to Melee discussion. All-is-Brawl doesn't include the Melee community at all. Fact is, most Brawl players wouldn't mind Melee being phased out completely. If it wasn't for the fact that our youtube videos actually get views, we wouldn't have any new players.

Melee players have done their part to help the Brawl community. **** they built it. And then they continued to run tournaments for it, even when they didn't like the game. If you actually want a unified community then the Brawl TOs have to step up and host a legit, grand-scale Melee tournament that rivals a Genesis or a Pound. Or else Melee kids will continue to view the Brawl community as parasitic.

I know no one wants Brawl v. Melee but real talk is real talk. Those are the actual reasons why there is a divide, and the only way to fix it is to talk it out. Its a little naive to say everyone should just let bygones be bygones and continue with the status quo, because the status quo is unfair. There is a lot of goodwill that has been lost and without actions to rectify that, the tension will continue.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's kind of obnoxious how we can't debate Brawl vs. Melee civilly anywhere on Smashboards. It is of course understandable to lock/tell people not to talk about it when they're being ******** about it (LOL BRAWL HAS NO COMBOS GAME SUCKS, LOL MELEE IS ALL TECH SKILL YOUR GAME SUCKS etc.), but a logical debate should have its place somewhere

Top Bottom