• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Street Fighter players think about Melee.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I agree. Project M doesn't count as brawl.
just like people who play DotA don't play Warcraft 3

I do agree that there are some brawl players that, even if I enjoyed brawl, would probably turn me away from it because of how annoying they are.

Just generalizing though, there are annoying people in the melee community too.

sanefox11

Smash Rookie
well, i was a melee player and i had to withdraw because regrettably it's dying ( At least in my country), now i'm playing street fighter and i still think melee is pretty awesome,lol, why i say that?

Well in street fighter case, i just have 4 or 6 months and can call myself a good player(to not exaggerate). And sometime the game get a bit boring.

But in melee i played hours and hours and i never tired of that.
And i played it 6 years around. And it always was worth.

Massive

Smash Champion
well, i was a melee player and i had to withdraw because regrettably it's dying ( At least in my country), now i'm playing street fighter and i still think melee is pretty awesome,lol, why i say that?

Well in street fighter case, i just have 4 or 6 months and can call myself a good player(to not exaggerate). And sometime the game get a bit boring.

But in melee i played hours and hours and i never tired of that.
And i played it 6 years around. And it always was worth.
I've noticed this too, it's a lot easier to get to the "good" level in street fighter than it is in smash. Street Fighter good is 6 months of practice, Melee good is 2-3 years.

Divinokage said:
No trashtalking Brawl.. trashtalk the players that make the community ****.
There are melee players who have ****ty personalities too, Brawl is bad because the game is bad. I can guarantee you that the thing preventing most melee people from playing brawl is NOT the community.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There are melee players who have ****ty personalities too, Brawl is bad because the game is bad. I can guarantee you that the thing preventing most melee people from playing brawl is NOT the community.
I know that, I meant in general.. I didn't single out anything. And yes I'm mean to the mean players because they deserve it. Like I said, let people play what they want.. Brawl is not a bad game for those that play it, if it was, the turn-out for tournaments would be complete **** but it's not or tournaments would not even exist. I enjoy Brawl from time to time, it has nothing to do with me being a melee or brawl player.. that **** needs to stop right now, it's discrimination.

D

Deleted member

Went to a mix tourney a month ago with mvc3 mk9 sf4 and some of them were commentating how melees up there with mvc2 in skill/hype

stark contrast from what people tell me srk is which is blind fanboyism of bad games

as for brawl hate, i really don't see whats wrong with hating brawl or people that play brawl. you are not committing anything close to racial prejudice or w/e you wanna use as a bad example. most people hate it for pretty legit reasons because pretty much every melee player played brawl when it came out and fans of melee can just LOOK at the gameplay

so, theres usually nothing wrong with hating crappy ****. if you want to hold hands like little *****es in elementary school over something that isn't even anything wrong then..

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
They assume I'm talking about Brawl until I tell them I'm talking about Melee, but they've still got the image of Brawl stuck in their heads but with GC graphics because they played Melee when it came out and no one knew ****. Then they say it's the worst fighting game ever. + it's kiddie.
Pretty much this exactly, a lotta the elitists think that its just a item tossing party game. reading through this thread though I'm shocked to see so much respect for melee now, i think the haters just have never pushed themselves into it beyond smash spammin item lolmatches.

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
A few years ago I was part of the umk3 movement that started on Xbl and progressed from ultimatemk to castlegolf fightnight. Srk along with many other SF players used to think the game was a joke until they introduced it back into Evo. Now the game is growing and is becoming a crowd favorite.

Smash can do the same it's just how we present ourselves. CEO was a huge chance for this but sadly no one put the effort in to trying to take this community seriously and we may not get another chance.

Elitesm needs to end and both party's need to focus on killing the ignorance and fanboyism and learn what makes each game so incredible in its own rich similar to how the MK scene has picked up.

Overall though SF players who actually know their **** have a strong respect for melee it's the scrubs that ruin it for the rest of us. Anyone who complains that puff is gay or that people ***** about hboxs or m2ks style need to realize they are part of the problem.

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've been playing melee for 10 years and I still have room for improvement
Of course, everyone does. =)

Went to a mix tourney a month ago with mvc3 mk9 sf4 and some of them were commentating how melees up there with mvc2 in skill/hype

stark contrast from what people tell me srk is which is blind fanboyism of bad games

as for brawl hate, i really don't see whats wrong with hating brawl or people that play brawl. you are not committing anything close to racial prejudice or w/e you wanna use as a bad example. most people hate it for pretty legit reasons because pretty much every melee player played brawl when it came out and fans of melee can just LOOK at the gameplay

so, theres usually nothing wrong with hating crappy ****. if you want to hold hands like little *****es in elementary school over something that isn't even anything wrong then..
That's your opinion on the game and yes there's tons of things wrong about hating a game and a community. The community that plays Brawl do not want that and yet you would be childish enough to judge them anyway? Cmon man... The people that play Brawl enjoy the in and outs of it, and it's definitely about patience and reads. Ya, objectively the game has a few bugs and is incomplete.. so what? The game has tournaments and it's flourishing as well. I know TO ME, the game is not particularly to my liking but that's my own preference and you have your own preferences too.. there's still melee players that play Brawl, like Neo, M2k for example.

It's just like I <3 Sf4 but I hate MvC 3... so? I don't go out of my way and flame the users that play a game I don't like, it's stupid and childish. But I will defend something when people do stupid ****.

Terry

Smash Ace
Nothing wrong with someone hating something they don't like. You can hate Brawl or Metaknight or random tripping or footstools or bananas or slow game or no tech skill if you want. You can hate the childish community but should know there are some awesome and unique people that play Brawl. And know that the Melee community has some not so great people and that you can hate them too if you want. You can hate Melee, because you play Street Fighter and think Smash is childish. What do I care? I'm gonna do what I want and not care what you think unless you're interfering with me doing what I want.

And often the response I've seen from Street Fighter players is that Smash is childish or kiddie.

Stevo

Smash Champion
also, this is the melee boards, not the brawl boards. It would be different if we were going to a brawl thread and posting about how it sucks.

I don't care if someone says they don't like melee in the brawl forums.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Nothing wrong with someone hating something they don't like. You can hate Brawl or Metaknight or random tripping or footstools or bananas or slow game or no tech skill if you want. You can hate the childish community but should know there are some awesome and unique people that play Brawl. And know that the Melee community has some not so great people and that you can hate them too if you want. You can hate Melee, because you play Street Fighter and think Smash is childish. What do I care? I'm gonna do what I want and not care what you think unless you're interfering with me doing what I want.

And often the response I've seen from Street Fighter players is that Smash is childish or kiddie.
Would you really go out of your way and tell them? If you do, you are dumb.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter if respectable SF players think Melee is good, because they don't play or encourage anyone to play the game. If the game is good, but "too hard" or "too different" to be accepted, then no progress is being made.

YouTube video gamer DSPStreetFighter recently published a video about new fighting games being patched by developers and constantly being updated, stunting the growth of real communities and strategies. I sent him a message about Melee, but I doubt he will reply.

It's people like these that need to be informed, people who are ready to accept Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the only other argument that can be made is that it's off-topic, but in this thread it's VERY on topic.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I pray to Melee every night and before every meal. I dunno what you're talking about, Kage.

Stevo

Smash Champion
not OMG, OMM (Oh my Melee)

It really doesn't help people's opinion of melee when there is cute little pokemon and such lol.
and of course brawl existing makes it so much worse (as others have mentioned)

One benefit of Brawl for the melee community is that some of the obnoxious people (often scrubby scrubs, but not always) will gravitate towards the newer, more popular game, leaving a somewhat more devoted community for melee.

Varist

Smash Lord
One benefit of Brawl for the melee community is that some of the obnoxious people (often scrubby scrubs, but not always) will gravitate towards the newer, more popular game, leaving a somewhat more devoted community for melee.
Whole truth here, and nothing but it.

Varist

Smash Lord
China's got tons more people than Luxembourg but Luxembourg is ****ing ****.

Massive

Smash Champion
I think trying to get people to treat melee on the same level as SF4 is barking up the wrong tree. If anything we should be regarded more similarly to 3rd strike since the game is so old and lacks any of the modern conveniences.

From a non-smash perspective Brawl is a great value for the lackluster title list on the Wii; I certainly got my 49.95 out of the single player mode and enjoyed (some...) of time the KC crew was playing it "competitively". The game is not terrible, it's just too shallow for me (and most people who played melee at a decent level) to enjoy competitively.

I'm still confused as to why Kage is condemning players instead of the game though, isn't discrimination against people? If I dislike a group of semi-silvered plastic discs with microscopic laser divots on them, I'm not hurting or excluding anyone other than myself. I don't tell people to **** off when they tell me they play brawl I usually just say "I'm sorry."

People can grow and change, it's very hard for bits of data to do that.

Walt

Smash Ace
Did you not read the post? Most people look at Melee and think that it's too much work to bother playing.
That makes Melee like Buddhism, it's a ton of work for amazing reward.

Brawl is like lazy Christianity, maybe you try for Christmas and Easter..... if you're not busy.

Terry

Smash Ace
Would you really go out of your way and tell them? If you do, you are dumb.
Was expecting something a little bit more insightful than "If you do, you are dumb."

Anyways, I don't hate Brawl. If I did I would say that because that's what I feel. No one here is going out of their way to say they hate Brawl to the Brawl community. But if someone did, who cares. Either argue your own points, or ignore them. No reason to be butthurt just because someone else thinks something different than yourself.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Was expecting something a little bit more insightful than "If you do, you are dumb."

Anyways, I don't hate Brawl. If I did I would say that because that's what I feel. No one here is going out of their way to say they hate Brawl to the Brawl community. But if someone did, who cares. Either argue your own points, or ignore them. No reason to be butthurt just because someone else thinks something different than yourself.
Oh I'm butthurt alright, my way is the truth! =D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I hate the term "butthurt." Just seems like a cop-out to actually debating someone's point.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Right now it is about getting our community together. We have big events and even then we do not have professional streams and stuff. In order to get respect from anyone we must learn to respect ourselves and the game we play. It is not about which game is better than the other but hyping the game we love up as much as possible.

I think Apex can do that but thatttttttssss just me xD. I just think what I see in the community is something people are too lazy to try to do. That is why you have tournaments that have hype sets but that is all people remember. No one would remember a tournament that is half *** ran and careless promotion while people remember the people putting together an event with the love and desire of someone running EVO/MLG. That is what we need and what we should get.

MK got lucky only in the respect that people looked to SRK people to run it. We do not have that and should not expect it. You want a great stream then support the ppl that do our streams and have THEM improve. You want people like UltraDavid commentating then get rid of the morons who talk at nationals at do not worry if they throw a fit.

That is what I think we need to do and sadly...not many do it.

Top Bottom