• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Street Fighter players think about Melee.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
So I was talking to some of the SF (Street Fighter) players in my neighborhood. I asked them about Melee and what you like about it. Some said it's alright but the majority said they love seeing fox and falco work on that shield.

Have you ever asked a Street fighter player what they think about Melee? And what was their response?

Jonas

Smash Champion
I've talked to an old-school ST player who said he thought Melee was harder to get good at. Not that I care what other people think about the games I play, but I thought it was a little interesting.

Varist

Smash Lord
They assume I'm talking about Brawl until I tell them I'm talking about Melee, but they've still got the image of Brawl stuck in their heads but with GC graphics because they played Melee when it came out and no one knew ****. Then they say it's the worst fighting game ever. + it's kiddie.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I play at a local gaming cafe pretty often, and every Monday there's an event for fighting games. Smash is welcome, but not treated equally. There are 8 big (lagless) monitors that are reserved for fighting games, but the guy who runs the event refuses to put Smash on one of them, we have to bring our own tvs. A lot of the non-smash players will watch us play Melee from time to time. Some of them say Melee is legit, but no one outright says it's bad or that they don't like it. None of them like Brawl though.

Massive

Smash Champion
In KC, there is a smash crew and a SRK(shoryuken aka traditional fighting game) crew.

We've recently started getting in with the SRK guys (sharing tourney venues and whatnot), many of them have serious respect for melee. There are always guys who think it's a kiddie game and feel like it has shallow gameplay; we usually welcome them to try to beat anyone in the crew (hint: they can't).

Additionally, much of the crew has started playing AE. We can hold our own with many of the mid level players in their crew who have years experience with the previous incarnations of SF4 and its predecessors. The big difference is that we've only been playing seriously for a few months or so. The fact that melee players can break into AE (and MVC3 actually) on such short notice has been turning heads and impressing some people.

tl;dr: the KC crew has been playing a lot of AE, we're winning the Street Fighter dudes over and enjoying a different game at the same time.

GOMB

Smash Rookie
I haven't personally asked one, but most that I've seen on the internet, as everyone else has said, think it's a kid's game with shallow, simple gameplay. They automatically think that the lack of giant button combinations and no health bars remove it's legitimacy as a fighter. Although some have said they like it, but just think it's too hard, or can't get into it.

You just gotta show them this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgpGBbh5r8

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm deep into the fg scene. Online they think its ********

But most of the real fg players that actually go to tournies know what's up with melee.

:phone:

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Most of the FG scene players who live here in Tucson are really really chill dudes and they're completely okay with Melee and even Brawl. But I think that they like Melee better as an overall game and see it as more of a fighter if you were to ask them.

In fact because my brother(Forward), started with fighting games before Melee came out, and then sort of transferred to the FG scene a bit with 3rd Strike and Marvel 3 recently, he was in close with all the guys and we used the local fighting game hangout place for Melee tournaments before.

tl;dr: They embrace it pretty well over here. Like Melee more than Brawl. Have let us use venue for tournaments.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
One of my best friends are really competitive in Marvel 2,3 and SF4 and he dosen't dislike melee. It's just not for him. Melee shares a lot of fundamentals with those series.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
a lot of the really loud people in either community (smash is no exception) don't even attend tourneys or do anything for the community, so no one actually cares.

Zodiac

Smash Master
its usually either

"This game is gay and for kids"
or
"This game is ****"

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I remember watching RaynEx juggling AE and Melee at a tournament... some Street Fighter players followed him over to the Melee setup and watched him play.

"For shame RaynEx. For shame..." they said.

RaynEx proceeded to shdl, apply insane shield pressure with shine/nair and do shine spikes. you know, flashy fox crap. The Street Fighter players were hysterical.

"holy ****!" they exclaimed. "This game is CRAZY, what is going on?!?"

In conclusion, show the FGC technical Fox vids =P

Life

Smash Hero
So naturally, people that know what they're talking about love Smash (or at least Melee) and the people that don't don't.

What else is new? ;)

Varist

Smash Lord
Except in this case it's really true! Seriously! Melee's all you could want in a fighting game; unconventional and original in concept, and incredibly deep. It's got smoother graphics for its era than you'd think, it's got real, visible entertainment value (even outsiders know that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc#t=0m52s was some serious **** happening), the roster is familiar to even a child, Melee is to fighting games what Goldeneye was to shooters. Kind of.

Varist

Smash Lord
That probably comes from the fact that out of the 5 required buttons, only L, Y and B (in that order) are used a majority of the time. So with the added hyperbole necessary in dismissive remarks, 2 buttons is all a casual would use. But you use A for tilts, shieldgrabs and nairs pretty often. Z's kind of under the radar. Dual analog is the core of the game but traditional fighter players have hard-ons for buttons because they have the thumbs of Parkinson's seniors with hyperthyroidism and no gentle finesse and hence disregard the directional inputs.

Actually that's probably why they suck at Melee.

Rykard

Smash Ace
That probably comes from the fact that out of the 5 required buttons, only L, Y and B (in that order) are used a majority of the time. So with the added hyperbole necessary in dismissive remarks, 2 buttons is all a casual would use. But you use A for tilts, shieldgrabs and nairs pretty often. Z's kind of under the radar. Dual analog is the core of the game but traditional fighter players have hard-ons for buttons because they have the thumbs of Parkinson's seniors with hyperthyroidism and no gentle finesse and hence disregard the directional inputs.

Actually that's probably why they suck at Melee.
he was totally joking lol, but i appreciate the analysis

Varist

Smash Lord
now I seem like an ***hole. that's okay, I am an ***hole. but I've actually seen Alukard post before, and now I feel stupid. and that's not okay, i'm not stupid.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahaha wow. raynex would impress for sure. if i ever wanna play casual people, i usually show them falco.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Umm.. I'm friends with the SF/MvC 3 community here in montreal.. I tell them my stories of smash, they seem pretty interested. Well warrior stories are always interesting. =) I don't judge anything so it's nice for everyone and I give respect where it's due. That's what people should do imo if you want to bring all games together.. however just let them play what they want, never say another game sucks for no reason. Even Brawl too it's like that for me too.. being a universal friend is awesome. =P

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, pretty much any of the players that go to tourneys are cool with Smash.
At most they might joke about the community, but that's pretty much it.
Umm.. I'm friends with the SF/MvC 3 community here in montreal.. I tell them my stories of smash, they seem pretty interested. Well warrior stories are always interesting. =) I don't judge anything so it's nice for everyone and I give respect where it's due. That's what people should do imo if you want to bring all games together.. however just let them play what they want, never say another game sucks for no reason. Even Brawl too it's like that for me too.. being a universal friend is awesome. =P
Kage knows what's up. There's no need to really discriminate players based on games.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya just be friends with the people because you care about them, whatever games they play doesn't matter.. But of course I have my own preference but I watch hype matches when it happens. =P

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yeah I definitely have no hatred towards Brawl players.

But my disappointment of the game itself has pretty much manifested into hatred. Not towards anyone. Just towards the game.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I have not asked any street fighter players what they think about melee, but this is an interesting idea.

Massive

Smash Champion
Yeah I definitely have no hatred towards Brawl players.

But my disappointment of the game itself has pretty much manifested into hatred. Not towards anyone. Just towards the game.
I get pretty mad when brawl players get hyped about the most trivially boring ****.

At times whilst sharing a tourney venue with them, I'll be in the middle of an intense match and I'll hear a bunch of brawlions scream the loudest hype sounds ever.

Sometimes I'll shout "wtf just happened!?" They usually tell me something like "XXXXs meta-knight... he made it back to the stage!"

THIS ISN'T HYPE-WORTHY, EVERYONE RECOVERS FROM EVERYTHING IN BRAWL.

Stevo

Smash Champion
exciting in brawl is when someone manages to punish MK tornado.

I actually have no idea, I know nothing about brawl

I know a couple SF players and they were not really interested in melee until I started showing them a few things. They were somewhat interested after.

I think it is tough because melee would take lots of practice to catch up with the quality of play these days, so they would have to spend less time on the games they like, which is probably not going to happen.

Top Bottom