• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Street Fighter players think about Melee.

Massive

Smash Champion
Majority of Brawls players that i have talked about ssbm they said that they dont want to play a very glitchy game, that for win you must to use glitchs.

They think that is not fair to abuse the engine, also they said that sakurai think that melee is a big fail.
The easiest counterargument to that is to pick marth, have them go Ness or Lucas and then release>grab them until 250% then take your free KO. You can also do this with Wario: Free fsmash after release grab.

You could also infinite chaingrab them with Dedede or Ice Climbers (it's ******** easy) or play metaknight and stall forever on any ledge with no way of being retaliated against.

This doesn't even begin to speak to the volumes of glitchiness inherant with momentum cancel techs or the absurdly silly hitboxes Snake has.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The funny part is that Melee actually isn't glitchy at all. Everything works the way it should. Brawl has a lot more exploits and glitches used in competitive play.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I really feel like a thread like this makes the community look a little obsessed with trying to achieve approval by the standard fighting community.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Do (the majority of) Brawl players really think all that? I keep hearing this brought up on the Melee threads, but that's it.

Edit: Actually forget it. I'd rather not drag on anything.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Do (the majority of) Brawl players really think all that? I keep hearing this brought up on the Melee threads, but that's it.

Edit: Actually forget it. I'd rather not drag on anything.
A lot of non-forum users think that. Like, most brawlers who don't use SWF think somethign crazy about Melee. Not sure what percentage of the total community that is, but I remember going to a tournament and the only people I didn't know (aka people who don't use the forums) were like, "Yeah man I don't want to have to learn all the glitches in Melee to get good. I don't like that they have to abuse glitches to play the game."

On a similar note, a lot of Brawl players (well at least the ones I've met) that do use the forums admit that Melee is a better game.

Digitaloverload

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Street Fighter since 3rd Strike, and I was a little skeptical about playing Smash, but my friend got me into Melee and now the majority of the tournaments i go to are for Melee. To be honest, they are two completely different games that can't really be compared together. I still go to some SF tournaments and even MvC 3 tournaments. I just like the energy of smash. In Street there is a lot of waiting around, and SF4 is not as technical as you think, if someone can shoryuken they can usually get pretty far online (mind you 3rd strike was VERY technical... maybe more technical than smash). In tournaments you probably need to know more about the game depending what character you play.... Ryu you need to know FADC into ultra... blah blah. In MvC 3 the combo's are broken..... although don't get me wrong... its a great game. But Smash just has this energy you don't get with the arcade fighters I play. Also.... Smash was super hard to learn..... took me a long time to make wavedashing second nature. Although my Smash friends can't get used to arcade sticks lol ;)

Just my two cents.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
the only people I didn't know (aka people who don't use the forums) were like, "Yeah man I don't want to have to learn all the glitches in Melee to get good. I don't like that they have to abuse glitches to play the game."

On a similar note, a lot of Brawl players (well at least the ones I've met) that do use the forums admit that Melee is a better game.
Two things in this post that kill me. People who just a have a huge fundamental misunderstanding of competitive melee. They justify their dislike of the game using these terrible arguments that have been debunked thousands of times. They are content not actually researching or asking someone knowledgeable about melee if they are correct in their assumptions (which, they aren't most of the time). And then there's Brawl players, knowledgeable about both games, who admit that Melee is better, funner to watch, etc. And then they continue to play Brawl. "Oh, but my friends play Brawl..." Yeah? Get them to play Melee! Honestly there's no excuse not to play the better (opinion) game.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I've been playing Street Fighter since 3rd Strike, and I was a little skeptical about playing Smash, but my friend got me into Melee and now the majority of the tournaments i go to are for Melee. To be honest, they are two completely different games that can't really be compared together. I still go to some SF tournaments and even MvC 3 tournaments. I just like the energy of smash. In Street there is a lot of waiting around, and SF4 is not as technical as you think, if someone can shoryuken they can usually get pretty far online (mind you 3rd strike was VERY technical... maybe more technical than smash). In tournaments you probably need to know more about the game depending what character you play.... Ryu you need to know FADC into ultra... blah blah. In MvC 3 the combo's are broken..... although don't get me wrong... its a great game. But Smash just has this energy you don't get with the arcade fighters I play. Also.... Smash was super hard to learn..... took me a long time to make wavedashing second nature. Although my Smash friends can't get used to arcade sticks lol ;)

Just my two cents.
Thanks for posting, you're just the kind of guy this thread was looking for. If you made an account to post here, kudos for going through the trouble.

Although I disagree with 3rd Strike Being more technical (parrying is pressing forward), there's a fair chance I could be wrong, and it's nice to hear your opinion on the two different kinds of fighters.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thanks for posting, you're just the kind of guy this thread was looking for. If you made an account to post here, kudos for going through the trouble.

Although I disagree with 3rd Strike Being more technical (parrying is pressing forward), there's a fair chance I could be wrong, and it's nice to hear your opinion on the two different kinds of fighters.
While I enjoy SF4 the least out of the series, I really think he's brushing off SF4 a little too much, but that's just my opinion.
And about that energy he mentioned, I dunno... There's plenty of energy at tournaments and at busy arcades.

I do agree that it's pointless to compare the games by arguing which is more technical though.
The main point of SF games isn't about being super technical anyways.

As for the parrying thing, in a way Melee has that. It'd be pretty freaky if Melee evolved far enough where power shielding every other move was the norm.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Two things in this post that kill me. People who just a have a huge fundamental misunderstanding of competitive melee. They justify their dislike of the game using these terrible arguments that have been debunked thousands of times. They are content not actually researching or asking someone knowledgeable about melee if they are correct in their assumptions (which, they aren't most of the time). And then there's Brawl players, knowledgeable about both games, who admit that Melee is better, funner to watch, etc. And then they continue to play Brawl. "Oh, but my friends play Brawl..." Yeah? Get them to play Melee! Honestly there's no excuse not to play the better (opinion) game.
Or it might be pretty tempting to skip on learning to get good at tech skill :)
I personally don't like brawl for various reasons, and wouldn't enjoy playing it, but it doesn't seem as bad as some people make it to be. I mean, if Brawl was really that bad, we wouldn't have M2K and the other top players placing high in about every tourney and baddies failing to do so. Looks like a pretty competitive game to me.
Still, slow & campy & tripping = whywhywhywhywhywhy? :D

Another side topic that would be interesting to me: What do Melee players think about sf or other "classic" fighting games?
I personally tried some, but I always missed the highly dynamic and FLASHY play style of ssbm. Combos that are basically just tech chasing in melee feel so static to me nowadays. (:

Tekk

Smash Lord
Honestly there's no excuse not to play the better (opinion) game.
Way to be open-minded.
How about they just like Brawl better ?
Can't you leave them alone, even tho you don't like "their" game ?

You don't need an "excuse" to play a game rather than another LOL.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I didn't address those kinds of players.
They admit melee is a better game, but they like brawl better.

And "educate" ? LOL, we're talking about games, not grammar/vocabulary mistakes.
Choosing brawl over melee isn't a mistake, it's a preference, can't you understand that ?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Sounds like the type of justification people who try to force their religion on others use.
Yah, "others" should be happy that people care about them.

As for what Melee players think of traditional fighters... I just find them too restrictive in comparison to Melee. My friend calls them "1-D fighters" because you're more or less fighting on a line, forced to stare at the opponent, etc.

Melee is more variable, pretty much being a physics-based fighter. This also makes it really unpredictable and indefinite, which is a turn-off for some. For me, though, it's the selling point.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
They admit melee is a better game, but they like brawl better.
Ok, sounds odd though.

And "educate" ? LOL, we're talking about games, not grammar/vocabulary mistakes.
Choosing brawl over melee isn't a mistake, it's a preference, can't you understand that ?
Ok I'm really bad at posting because I'm coming off as a demanding moron. For Brawl players (and players of other fighters I guess) who know little about Melee and have a negative view (glitches and button mashers and bears, oh my) wouldn't it be alright to inform them their opinion is a little lacking?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
As for what Melee players think of traditional fighters... I just find them too restrictive in comparison to Melee. My friend calls them "1-D fighters" because you're more or less fighting on a line, forced to stare at the opponent, etc.

Melee is more variable, pretty much being a physics-based fighter. This also makes it really unpredictable and indefinite, which is a turn-off for some. For me, though, it's the selling point.
That's kind of how I feel about too, especially towards Street Fighter. I don't feel much of that towards Guilty Gear and Marvel but some of it is still there too.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ok, sounds odd though.
Not really. Tons of people know Melee is better, they just prefer Brawl because of several reasons:

-The pace is more comfortable for them.
-It's new.
-They've already put a lot of time into getting good at Brawl.
-It takes a couple months to become decent instead of years.

And others.

Varist

Smash Lord
Not really. Tons of people know Melee is better, they just prefer Brawl because of several reasons:

-It's new.

And others.
Sounds a lot like reasons to play SF instead too.

:troll:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Way to be open-minded.
How about they just like Brawl better ?
Can't you leave them alone, even tho you don't like "their" game ?

You don't need an "excuse" to play a game rather than another LOL.
you're way too tolerable. gotta be a **** to brawlers until they give up, it's the only way

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
my reasons for liking brawl is because custom content is easier and more manageable than melee

and Snake is in it.

thats just me tho

MasterShake

Smash Lord

-It's new.

And others.
Understandable, what irks me about people with those mindsets is they like everything about Melee except, well, playing it. It's not like the community wouldn't accept them with open arms, they literally have nothing to lose if they tried to pick it up.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
They assume I'm talking about Brawl until I tell them I'm talking about Melee, but they've still got the image of Brawl stuck in their heads but with GC graphics because they played Melee when it came out and no one knew ****. Then they say it's the worst fighting game ever. + it's kiddie.
This is true.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
The idea that people need to man up is ridiculous. If we are to be taken seriously we need to not act like a bunch of ghetto uneducated fools and act more civilized. You think people would want to sponsor someone who curses and hollers like some reject out of a rasp video? Nope. Sponsors want good representation so that they are in the light of the public more than the actions of staid player.

Yes people like how are good for locals but a major event there are not going to watch what they say because that's their "thing". Most people running major event's have people that can speak well not loud. Even then I will take something intelligent than the usual " oh **** dawn this ming hype". Yea it can be fun but we want to grow beyond that.

:phone:
Yea I agree with you. players in the smash scene needs to be more civilized and more respectful to other players.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
No here's what we need to do. Be willing to say f*ck everyone who doesn't like the way the Melee community works. If they don't like the way we do commentary then big deal they can go f*ck themselves. You have to realize that we DO NOT WANT the people that don't want to play our game because of our hype, but if we "tone it down and be more respectful" then they play. Those are the not kind of people I want to go to tournaments with.

Everyone has this idea that we can somehow grow the community amazingly through something silly like "having more professional commentary" are you serious? Communities grow from being in front of more people. Thats it. The more people we can expose to competitive Melee, the more will play. My proof is that nobody who has never seen competitive Melee ever chose to go to a tournament -_-. This is why SO MUCH MORE emphasis should be put on livestreams. It is literally the only way to expedite the growth of Melee any more than the way we have done it, sharing with friends that we think will be interested.

TL;DR: We should not change for anyone or any sponsor. If they don't like our hype or commentary then they can go play something else. We don't want them if they don't want us. A successful community member matching with us is like an avatar person matching with its mega dragon bird. They don't say "we would match perfectly if you just roared a little less and flapped your wings a few more times."

Kal

Smash Champion
Understandable, what irks me about people with those mindsets is they like everything about Melee except, well, playing it. It's not like the community wouldn't accept them with open arms, they literally have nothing to lose if they tried to pick it up.
It's absurd to expect them to pick up Melee. If you acknowledge that any game in existence is better than Melee, why don't you pick that up? In my opinion, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Starcraft, and Starcraft 2 are all far, far better than Melee in terms of depth. Why don't I play them?

Because I like Melee. I don't particularly enjoy those other games. I can't really say why; maybe it's because I suck at them, maybe it's because Melee has Pichu, or maybe it's because Marth has a tiara. But really, who the **** cares? Preference is subjective and largely arbitrary. You can't really choose what you like.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
No here's what we need to do. Be willing to say f*ck everyone who doesn't like the way the Melee community works. If they don't like the way we do commentary then big deal they can go f*ck themselves. You have to realize that we DO NOT WANT the people that don't want to play our game because of our hype, but if we "tone it down and be more respectful" then they play. Those are the not kind of people I want to go to tournaments with.

Everyone has this idea that we can somehow grow the community amazingly through something silly like "having more professional commentary" are you serious? Communities grow from being in front of more people. Thats it. The more people we can expose to competitive Melee, the more will play. My proof is that nobody who has never seen competitive Melee ever chose to go to a tournament -_-. This is why SO MUCH MORE emphasis should be put on livestreams. It is literally the only way to expedite the growth of Melee any more than the way we have done it, sharing with friends that we think will be interested.

TL;DR: We should not change for anyone or any sponsor. If they don't like our hype or commentary then they can go play something else. We don't want them if they don't want us. A successful community member matching with us is like an avatar person matching with its mega dragon bird. They don't say "we would match perfectly if you just roared a little less and flapped your wings a few more times."

PEEF, you have a point, but respectful commentary and not acting like an *** at major tournies with sponsors is still important. Sponsors = bigger tournaments = more publicity.

But other than in that particular instance, I agree with you. Livestreams. Hype makes a lot of people want to play the game. I'm waaaaaaaaay more interested in watching youtube matches where waffles is commentating than any other commentator (dogysammich is close second and should commentate more). Honestly, I think hype commentators like waffles are a major help to spreading smash around the internet. Everybody likes hype, and more importantly, I think a lot less people dislike non-hype.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Angry stuff
Making the community more professional doesn't mean toning down hype, it means being more organized.

Someone with an noninclusive attitude like you provided is who I wouldn't want to go to a tournament with, especially if I was just getting to know the game.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Making the community more professional doesn't mean toning down hype, it means being more organized.

Someone with an noninclusive attitude like you provided is who I wouldn't want to go to a tournament with, especially if I was just getting to know the game.
My attitude is this. "Here is the Melee community. Lots of great stuff. Some stuff that some people don't like. You like it? Good, lets play."

I bring people into this game every single day, and have been as successful at it as anyone else with the obvious exceptions, and I'm not even a big tournament winner/pro-level player. What works in person is being interested in the game, constantly looking for players that are excitable and might be interested, making sure they play while teaching them as much as possible, giving them a chance to enter the community, and letting them decide how much they want to be involved if at all. When streaming I attempt to explain what people find confusing, talk about what the community is like, and direct interested players to Smashboards.

Nowhere in there do I put on a suit and act like smash melee is some fraternity with a secret handshake and a high-dollar entry fee. Most of us are intelligent, almost all of us drink or smoke socially, and most of us know that the Melee community is laid back and overall gives few f*cks about acting professional when the truth is that we are playing a mario game with 0% current marketshare, and has 0 allignment with the current trend of video games.

The only people that I have a noninclusive attitude towards are those who have watched our videos, been to smashboards, and decide that they want us to change for them. If they don't like who we are because we don't put on our try-hard ties every morning, then they won't like it here anyway.

Digitaloverload

Smash Rookie

I've actually had this account for a long time, (although i know many people have had their accounts for years) but never felt like posting until now. Thanks though!

Parrying is a little bit more then pressing forward, it's hard to describe.... but there is something incredibly difficult about it. Parrying is different in each match up because of the speed and strength of characters. Anyways, I still think Smash has a lot more tech to learn and it can definitely be more difficult to master than parrying.

While I enjoy SF4 the least out of the series, I really think he's brushing off SF4 a little too much, but that's just my opinion.
And about that energy he mentioned, I dunno... There's plenty of energy at tournaments and at busy arcades.

I do agree that it's pointless to compare the games by arguing which is more technical though.
The main point of SF games isn't about being super technical anyways.

As for the parrying thing, in a way Melee has that. It'd be pretty freaky if Melee evolved far enough where power shielding every other move was the norm.
I meant the energy in game play. Smash is a bit faster than most SF games (depending which character your playing) and it can also look a little flashier. Trust me though, SSF4 takes a lot of skill. Mostly it requires a knowledge in spacing and mind-games. The only tech is Canceling, which again requires good timing. I do agree that SSF4 is my least favorite Street game, nice to know i'm not the only guy out there who thinks that. I hope Ultimate MvC3 and Street X Tekken doesn't end up sucking :laugh:

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
If the melee scene changed i probably wouldn't probably stop going to tournies. over here in oz we don't have huge tournies like EU and US do and we probably don't have the same standard of competition but we have fun and we can always joke about ****. and i love the family feeling we have in our scene.
i would not find the game nearly as fun if we took **** seriously and had to "act mature". personally, i would prefer if the scene stayed small, communal and (mostly) friendly than expanding and becoming a business.

just an afterthought, if we had sponsors then **** like scorpionmaster couldn't happen on the off chance we lose a sponsor. **** that ****.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Alukard says melee is wack cause it only uses two buttons
LOLOL u know i be trollin!

That probably comes from the fact that out of the 5 required buttons, only L, Y and B (in that order) are used a majority of the time. So with the added hyperbole necessary in dismissive remarks, 2 buttons is all a casual would use. But you use A for tilts, shieldgrabs and nairs pretty often. Z's kind of under the radar. Dual analog is the core of the game but traditional fighter players have hard-ons for buttons because they have the thumbs of Parkinson's seniors with hyperthyroidism and no gentle finesse and hence disregard the directional inputs.

Actually that's probably why they suck at Melee.
i just dislike how much u have to camp it up now =[ ... not as fun for me so i choose not to be stressed with 1v1 competitive play =] ... doubles is where its at LOL

and i dont suck!! =[

pretty dam good at melee/SSF4/MVC3 =]

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Lol maybe you should watch Dieminion camp to victory. Your logic is not very good Alu.. sorry.. In every fighting game you try to find openings in your opponents play. You can't change someone's playstyle because that's how they think. I think you just like to press buttons and hope it hits lol. Mashing is fun.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Dieminion is like the campiest player in existence, true story.

Jwong plays campy as hell in every game he plays pretty much.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hmm.. A lot of SF players irritate me. From my experience with them, they dislike the concept of DI...
They also call it a kiddy game, which annoys me a bit, but not enough to get mad.

Life

Smash Hero
If it helps any, SRK seems to be getting a bit more tolerant of Smash (or at least Brawl) based on the relative (and I do mean relative) lack of trolls on its "MK is banned" news item (and a few trolls were specifically Brawl haters, even some of those put in a good word for Melee).

Just felt the need to chime in.

Top Bottom