• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the Origin of Your Pseudonym?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to do this for some time, since a lot of people here have some strange pseudonyms. For those of you who don't know what a pseudonym is, is a name you use that really isn't your name. It's a false name, hence "pseudo-."

For me, the name I originally went by was "Metroid Fan." It's a very generic name, and really, isn't a name at all. It's a description. So, I decided I'd go by "Dryn." Dryn simply comes from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. There is a planet called Elysia, and on planet Elysia there is a place called SkyTown. While the Chozo Searcher does not have a name, you can find in MP3:C, names of different Chozo. You have Ou-Qua, Dryn, and De'la. (You can thank me for adding those entries on Wikitroid.) I liked Dryn, since he was a key scientist in Power Suit technology. You can find the Chozo bust of Dryn in Junction on SkyTown, Elysia. And that, my friends, is where my name comes from.

Hive

Smash Lord
cuz im a fcuken noob

:(
you spelled ****ing wrong.... you are such a noob :p lol^^
(I still haven't got to see you play yet you know :( )

Idk why I really picked hive... it sounds kwl... it has 4 letters (which was the amount you needed for melee names)... wasn't taken and I guess it sounded like something scifi-y like a hive mind or the ing hive, or that really kwl hive thingy in dead space.. ^^

Death is Only the Beginning.
Unity is Forever.
Keep Us Whole.

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
Saej is just the name I have been using for all of my games, other than shooters. I got the name by changing the letters of "sage" and used a j because that is the first letter of my name. I just like the sound of Saej I guess haha

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Xyro

WAY back in the 1990's i recieved my first GAMEBOY(the fat one) and my first GAMEBOY game(pokemon red). I couldnt think of a name to name Trainer red so turned the game off and went to my room and started playing mega man X for the SNES. The second ZERO saved me from VILE on the first level.....i knew ZERO would be my name on pokemon red and every other game since then........however

fast forward to melee.

I mained marth and went to tournaments with the name ZERO. but over time, i saw more and more and more people STEALING MY NAME, so i got pissed and went home to figure out my new name. Within 24 hours of of sheer brainstorming, i decided to keep the SOUND of ZERO but change the letting of ZERO to XYRO.

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

Hive

Smash Lord
its pronounced "zero"??? I thought everyone was saying it was pronounced "x-ro" loljk ;)

xyro sounds kwl ^^ I know another zero too lol ^^ I guess everyone does try to steal that ^^
My name was originally going to be envy at first lol, but apparently someone took that :( so I switched to Hive (which I like better now anyways ^^).

I'm thinking about switching to Zeero though in the future.... maybe Xeero.... just to mess with you lol ^^
(at least its not like in mmos where everyone does the lame mispellings of sephiroth though <.<)

Royta

Smash Journeyman
@ Dryn..so THAT"S where I recognized the name from, it sounded / looked familiar. I'm kinda a scan-***** in the metroid games so yeah .. glad you took a Chozo name and not a Luminoth name (those were kinda lame..stupid rip-offs)

@ Xyro, never really occured to me that you would pronounce it as "zero", niceness

@ Hive, for some reason I always think of the Ing from metroidprime2 when I see your name xD
@ spooN, The tick <3 awesome series!

Mine isn't that hard to figure out, I was a huge fan of Roy at the time from Smash and also of the name itself. But I wanted something more.. so I just added 2 random letters until it sounded 'kewl' and no one had it. Royta is pretty unheard of so yeah I think it worked ;p

Late edit: the TA came from Tard. Since I went by the fun name of Roytard for a time xD Now I remember ;p

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
its pronounced "zero"??? I thought everyone was saying it was pronounced "x-ro" loljk ;)

xyro sounds kwl ^^ I know another zero too lol ^^ I guess everyone does try to steal that ^^
My name was originally going to be envy at first lol, but apparently someone took that :( so I switched to Hive (which I like better now anyways ^^).

I'm thinking about switching to Zeero though in the future.... maybe Xeero.... just to mess with you lol ^^
(at least its not like in mmos where everyone does the lame mispellings of sephiroth though <.<)
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you do, i will kill you 2 times before you you hit the ground.

IIRC Xyro is pronounced Sexy Allan the Samus Wizard

dear god......even people in cali know my "other name"

heaven help me!

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Can Hive be Xiroh77?
i'll convince j4pu to main falco under Xerow77
I'll take a classier alternate -- Xireaux77

Jasona

Smash Ace
i was lame back in the day. i wanted to use jason as my name, but somebody had already taken it. i was determined, so i came up with the idea of adding an "a" to the end, until the system accepted the name. i thought that several "a"s would be recognized as white space characters and ignored. thus getting me the name jason. i didn't even consider that it would work with just one "a"
so i went to my first smashboards tournament (getting schooled). first smash tournament i attended was the baltimore v-games (anden and chu found me and tried "wanna MM, we suck" snikker snikker, azen ****** with bowser and pichu, and the sheik that couldn't grab. good memories!). anyway, at getting schooled, i introduced myself as "jason a" and got replies like "i'm mark p" or some other form of a real name. it was lame thinking that everyone thought i was using my real name. somewhere in the early rounds of singles i had to fight wes. i had watched all of his vids and, in typical newb style, thought i could easily take him in a samus ditto (****!!!). i heard him from across the room asking who his next opponent was and he yells out "whose j-sown-ah?".\
that pronunciation stuck and thats how i got my name

MRS1

Smash Journeyman
Cool story Jasona Wes gave ya your name.

My user name is MRS1, thats cause my real name is Emerson - get it? Em er s one?

My smash tag is MOM, cause,

NOBODY PUNISHES YOU WORSE THAN YA MOM!!!!!

plus Samus is a chick and I'm always fighting my training partner Dad's Ganon. They look like an old Mom and Dad having an argument. We would play with my roomamates noob kirby in the match and it was like he has a scared little kid in the kitchen while the parents were fighting.

loooking foward to tudor's.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpNFGZm1ps&feature=channel_page

That character Robin is the origin of my name. There are two Robins in Romancing SaGa 3 - a fat one and a skinny one. Back in middle school (90s) I played an MMORPG called The Realm. I named my character RobinS (Robin because of Robin from RS3 and S to represent it was the skinny one, not the fat one).

...eventually I lowercased the s and altered the b to an h because their ASCII representation is only different by a few pixels. RobinS -> ... Rohins

Old sig? Yeah I got one for ya:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well when i started playing melee i was like...10 or 11, so i didn't have some in depth way of thinking. So, since i made samus and my name is Eric, i made E-SAM, Eric Samus. Then when i entered smashboards i was like "Eric Samus sounds gay" so i made it eternal samus, and then when brawl came out and i main pikachu so i made it ESAM on the boards.

Also...xyro, i thought was pronounced zeye-roh, not zero. That's just...lame

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpNFGZm1ps&feature=channel_page

That character Robin is the origin of my name. There are two Robins in Romancing SaGa 3 - a fat one and a skinny one. Back in middle school (90s) I played an MMORPG called The Realm. I named my character RobinS (Robin because of Robin from RS3 and S to represent it was the skinny one, not the fat one).

...eventually I lowercased the s and altered the b to an h because their ASCII representation is only different by a few pixels. RobinS -> ... Rohins

Old sig? Yeah I got one for ya:

yeah i totally thought your last name was rohins irl

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Cool story Jasona Wes gave ya your name.

My user name is MRS1, thats cause my real name is Emerson - get it? Em er s one?

My smash tag is MOM, cause,

NOBODY PUNISHES YOU WORSE THAN YA MOM!!!!!

plus Samus is a chick and I'm always fighting my training partner Dad's Ganon. They look like an old Mom and Dad having an argument. We would play with my roomamates noob kirby in the match and it was like he has a scared little kid in the kitchen while the parents were fighting.

loooking foward to tudor's.
Aw man, MOM. I talked to Parker (our former n00b kirby roommate), and he said he hasn't played Smash since we moved out. He sounded so sad about it.

I violently beat MOM IRL daily. DAT's why I'm called DAD.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
My favorite boss from Metroid: Fusion. All he does is spaz and run in circles, just like me~!

Ravin

Smash Lord
Raven comes from my favorite anime Zoids. When i was old enough I took latin.

In latin when speaking about a female, you typically use the letter E to subject that word to them.

When talking about a male, you use an I.

So im simply switched Raven, to Ravin.

Thus it stuck. I used this name, and Merc. Ravin in FPS's, SirRavin in RPG's, and Ravin in most fighters.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
In a old pokemon website (I think it was arkeis) I had a really dumb user and I made friends with this one person that was on a lot, and we had a brainstorming session for a better name. She came up with something that was kinda feminine, so I made it more masculine :p.

It originally was Taeran Aran because I liked Metriod and it was Brom's Ring (the Aran part), and it stuck. I didn't like the weird rhyming feel Taeran Aran gave, so I switched to just Taeran.

It's easier to type too.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Xyro

WAY back in the 1990's i recieved my first GAMEBOY(the fat one) and my first GAMEBOY game(pokemon red). I couldnt think of a name to name Trainer red so turned the game off and went to my room and started playing mega man X for the SNES. The second ZERO saved me from VILE on the first level.....i knew ZERO would be my name on pokemon red and every other game since then........however

fast forward to melee.

I mained marth and went to tournaments with the name ZERO. but over time, i saw more and more and more people STEALING MY NAME, so i got pissed and went home to figure out my new name. Within 24 hours of of sheer brainstorming, i decided to keep the SOUND of ZERO but change the letting of ZERO to XYRO.

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
Well, Xyro, it's strange that you would pronounce your name, "zero," though it's spelled differently. I have always thought it sounded like "gyro." I've been reading "Xyro" as "gyro," but with the letter "x," and "x" sounds like the letter "z." Also, while your name comes from a different origin, I did mention before that the Greek word, xuro means "razor." Since there isn't any letter "y" in Greek, the letter "u" is used instead. However, when transliterating, people tend to use "y" instead of "u," hence "xyro." That's why I've said to you before that your name is "Xyro," because your skills are razor-sharp. I'm still going to read your name like "gyro," and not "zero."

@ Rohins: So, does your name sound like, "raw-hens," or "row-hens"? I've been pronouncing yours as the latter.

@ Serris: I had an idea that you got your name from Metroid: Fusion. Mind explaining where you got the tag, "Kinky"? :p

tha_carter

Smash Ace
LOL, wtf.... DRYN has two good threads in a row?

I was at a tourney years ago, and i was facing some west coast player named Carter. And i beat him. He was fairly well known. When i got to the next round, someone was like "**** i have to face Carter's fox". Then someone i came with said "youre not facing that scrubby carter, you facing a good carter, THEEEE Carter." Lmao, i stuck with it.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I'm still going to read your name like "gyro," and not "zero."
Yes, but the greek word "gyro" is pronounced "yee-row". So if you're going by greek words or whatever, Xyro's name would be pronounced "zee-row" or zero anyway.

@ Rohins: So, does your name sound like, "raw-hens," or "row-hens"? I've been pronouncing yours as the latter.
I pronounce it row-hins, why would it be hens? Not even its origin, robin, is pronounced raw ben..

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT PRONUNCIATION

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
well, Dillon Cullin- (Crews) is my name. soooo..... crews was just easy to use. (haha i made a rhyme =)

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Aw man, MOM. I talked to Parker (our former n00b kirby roommate), and he said he hasn't played Smash since we moved out. He sounded so sad about it.

I violently beat MOM IRL daily. DAT's why I'm called DAD.
lol, you anti-female-ist...thingy

Aran

Smash Apprentice
It's not hard to guess where mine came from. But there is a little more to it than just being Samus' last name.

My real name starts with an A, so i really wanted to get something that started with an A as well. And I just like how Aran looks and sounds. That's why I never leave them in all caps, or in all lowercase. I just like it with the A capitalized. In addition, I prefer to pronounce it ah-RAHN as opposed to Aaron as most people pronounce it.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I'm named after an episode of "faulty towers" and the name of a salad. THAT IS ****ING SAD. some people just have names relating to theirs, or something remotely cool, but waldorf ---> Waldorf Salad from the actual name of a salad and the weirdest episode of faulty towers ---> shortened for melee to Wald --> FAIL AFTER A ****ING SALAD.

Top Bottom