• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
I have Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door but haven't played it yet and I was wondering if I should get Paper Mario 64 and beat it before I play The Thousand-Year Door. I guess what I'm asking is, does the Paper Mario series go in a sequential storyline and should I get and beat Paper Mario 64 before playing The Thousand-Year Door, and then Super Paper Mario.

I also have Pikmin 2 and never played it yet and have played the original Pikmin but never beat it...should I pick up Pikmin and beat it before I start playing Pikmin 2?

Edit: Thanks Marshigio...I'll probably start The Thousand-Year Door tonight.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
No and no b13lion, you can enjoy both games without worrying about it. The Thousand Year Door starts new and Pikmin's storyline really doesn't drive the game.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword - I haven't played a good DS game since Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (and, to be honest, I didn't like a lot of the changes to the gameplay in that, so I really haven't been satisfied with a DS game since Phantom Hourglass) and I've heard generally positive things about it. Of course, between Smash right now and Okami next month, I'll probably have somewhat of a busy game schedule. Is Ninja Gaiden worth it?

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
The world ends with you or Ninja gaiden ds? Keep in mind that I don't like jrpg's all that much, but i am willign to try a new one, but I also want ninja gaiden

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
what are some good, long rpg games for gamecube?

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Tales of symphonia
Baton Katios:the eternal lost wings

Now i need some guidence:
im going to buy 2 wii games my ideas are:
NiGHTS
Mario soccer
DBZ:3
Mario kart
Fire emblem

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Tales of Symphonia. 60+ hours for just the bare minimum stuff. It takes forever O.o

Paper Mario: TTYD. Im not suggesting you buy it, im just questioning why you don't already own it. It might be a little better if you don't like Tales' 100 hour game play.

@Guy above me:

is Mario Kart out yet? What did I miss?

Anyways, Fire Emblems always good(Although I technically haven't played Radiant Dawn I assume its similar enough to Path of Radiance)

NiGHTS has been getting sort of meh reviews so idk. I played it for a little while and it was fun, but it didn't seem like something that would hold MY interest very long(I emphasize "my" as your interests may be different)

Mario Strikers is good and the online is fun if you can stand some lag

DBZ:3 Never played it >.>

@lycrof: I have no idea about The World Ends With You but I do know that I have about 15 friends telling me I NEED to buy Ninja Guiden DS. So I wan't you to NOT buy it just so you can help me spite them.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
well mario soccer is on sale,Dbz no go,Nights i will buy a cc for wen it comes on sale,same with mk,brawl is in there as well must get

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
To go with what Knightzy said, I'd say the two Baten Kaitos games will do you good. Loved both of them.

Speaking of knightzy...

Now i need some guidence:
im going to buy 2 wii games my ideas are:
NiGHTS
Mario soccer
DBZ:3
Mario kart
Fire emblem
Mario Kart is a must. Normally I'd tell you to hold out for now, but if you want another game, I'd suggest the soccer game (whatever it's called) since I've only heard good things about it. Other than that, I can only tell you what not to get, which includes DBZ and Fire Emblem. The latter is horrible compared to the rest of the series, and I just never liked DBZ.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
ok great thanks for the help i also need to get a dreamcast so anyone got one????
i will get soccer and mario kart buy the others laer when they get cheap.by the way Marshigio im in aus so theres only elternal lost wings as origens was a NA only relese.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
^^^ I ended up getting Ninja Gaiden ds. The world ends with you wasn't at the store yet. I don't regret getting ninja gaiden. Some of the highest production values i have seen on the console.

Sensai

Smash Master
Throwing this out there: If you have an able computer and half yet to play the Half Life series, you must do so right now. I just beat Episode 2, and, man, is it good.

I know this was random, so sorry, but it's worth the post. Let me emphasize.

If you have yet to play Half Life 2, go get the Orange Box. It's the best money you'll ever spend, ever. Guarentee you.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
^^^ I ended up getting Ninja Gaiden ds. The world ends with you wasn't at the store yet. I don't regret getting ninja gaiden. Some of the highest production values i have seen on the console.
IGN gave The World Ends With You a 9.0 review...here is a qoute from the review, "not only one of the best DS games out there, but also one of the top RPG’s we’ve played in years."-Bozon(Bozon is one of the reviewers at IGN)

Oh what the hell just read the review for yourself
http://ds.ign.com/articles/867/867129p3.html

I know for D@mn sure I'm picking it up :)

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario: TTYD. Im not suggesting you buy it, im just questioning why you don't already own it. It might be a little better if you don't like Tales' 100 hour game play.
I do suggest you buy Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, I just beat it 2 days ago and I have to say it was awesome!!! It took me about 30 hours to beat it but I also skipped alot of extra stuff...

(after I lost to the last boss the first time I looked up a couple strategies on gamefaqs and realized that my level was way below the levels of the people who wrote the walkthroughs, they were saying there HP was like 95 and my HP was 65, so it made the last boss alot harder for me, plus I didn't have half the items they were saying to use but I'm proud to say I didn't have to use the items they did and had 30 less HP.

...so if you are a completionist the game could last alot longer.
Bottom line: this game is awesome and you should get it.

VMuh 99%V

Smash Rookie
I need some Wii games...All I got is Brawl and Wii sports...And the dreaded Lego Star Wars Sega one....which sucks man...I'm gonna sell it to EB games...

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
I need some Wii games...All I got is Brawl and Wii sports...And the dreaded Lego Star Wars Sega one....which sucks man...I'm gonna sell it to EB games...
Guitar Hero III
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii (when it comes out)
Super Mario Galaxy

just to name a few

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I recently got a Nintendo DS, but I'm unsure about what games to get. I've got Zelda Phantom Hourglass and New Super Mario Bros. I would like some RPGs or just plain ol' fantasy (preferrably NOT Final Fantasy) or some other fun games out of the ordinary. Btw, I live in Europe, so there might be games that aren't yet released in my country. I need something now xD

So what should I get? Thanks in advance for your responses (or was it kthxbai? I'm doin it rong, rite? ;_; )

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
mario kart wii
is it good
Yes, Mario Kart Wii is AWESOME...the online play is 10 times better than brawl! I just got it yesterday but didn't really have time to play it alot, but from what I did play I was very impressed...the bikes are awesome and the Wii Wheel is freaking cool! I love it

I recently got a Nintendo DS, but I'm unsure about what games to get. I've got Zelda Phantom Hourglass and New Super Mario Bros. I would like some RPGs or just plain ol' fantasy (preferrably NOT Final Fantasy) or some other fun games out of the ordinary. Btw, I live in Europe, so there might be games that aren't yet released in my country. I need something now xD

So what should I get? Thanks in advance for your responses (or was it kthxbai? I'm doin it rong, rite? ;_; )
I'm currently playing FFIII for DS and I think it's great, but if you want to exclude final fantasy then I would probably get The World Ends With You, although I haven't played it yet, it received really good reviews. Oh also, you could pick up Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, that's another good one.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice ;) It's not like I don't like FF, but sometimes, I need something else. I don't know, but I think The World Ends with You hasn't been released in Europe yet, I think it's only out for a week or so in the US, so I don't get my hopes up. Might get into FF though, so I will probably buy that. It's always good to have :)

By the way, how's Super Mario 64 for the DS? I plan to buy it.
And another (probably stupid) question: How's Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii? I mean, are you expected to know the story or can you play it without having played the previous titles?

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice ;) It's not like I don't like FF, but sometimes, I need something else. I don't know, but I think The World Ends with You hasn't been released in Europe yet, I think it's only out for a week or so in the US, so I don't get my hopes up. Might get into FF though, so I will probably buy that. It's always good to have :)

By the way, how's Super Mario 64 for the DS? I plan to buy it.
And another (probably stupid) question: How's Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii? I mean, are you expected to know the story or can you play it without having played the previous titles?
Your welcome, good questions as I actually have both Super Mario 64 DS and Metroid Prime 3. I think Mario 64 DS is good but then again I never really played the original Mario 64 on the N64 all that much(I only played it at a friend's house). I like it because it's portable so it's easier for me to play it on the go. A good friend of mine told me that he rather play it on Wii's virtual console though because of the analog stick with the clasic controller. So as long as you don't mind playing it with the D-pad then I think you would like it, but other wise I would probably get it on the Virtual Console(I already had Mario 64 DS before the Wii came out so :ohwell:)

Metroid Prime 3 is another good game, I have only played a couple hours into it though, but it seems to have it's own story line which is pretty cool compared to the previous titles. I've beaten the first Metroid Prime and skipped over the 2nd strait to the 3rd. I never really felt the first Metroid Prime had much of a story to it, but the 3rd has really cool voice cutscenes and also the NPCs will talk as well...kind of like the Halo series...you could check into it more but my opinion would be you could skip strait to the 3rd and not miss anything. And of course you could always go back to the 1st and 2nd ones, but I don't think you'll miss any storyline like you would in Halo.

Also, according to IGN.com The World Ends With You came out 4/18/2008 in Europe, and 4/22/2008 in the US. (it came out 7/25/2007 in Japan...lucky them:))

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Your welcome, good questions as I actually have both Super Mario 64 DS and Metroid Prime 3. I think Mario 64 DS is good but then again I never really played the original Mario 64 on the N64 all that much(I only played it at a friend's house). I like it because it's portable so it's easier for me to play it on the go. A good friend of mine told me that he rather play it on Wii's virtual console though because of the analog stick with the clasic controller. So as long as you don't mind playing it with the D-pad then I think you would like it, but other wise I would probably get it on the Virtual Console(I already had Mario 64 DS before the Wii came out so :ohwell:)

Metroid Prime 3 is another good game, I have only played a couple hours into it though, but it seems to have it's own story line which is pretty cool compared to the previous titles. I've beaten the first Metroid Prime and skipped over the 2nd strait to the 3rd. I never really felt the first Metroid Prime had much of a story to it, but the 3rd has really cool voice cutscenes and also the NPCs will talk as well...kind of like the Halo series...you could check into it more but my opinion would be you could skip strait to the 3rd and not miss anything. And of course you could always go back to the 1st and 2nd ones, but I don't think you'll miss any storyline like you would in Halo.

Also, according to IGN.com The World Ends With You came out 4/18/2008 in Europe, and 4/22/2008 in the US. (it came out 7/25/2007 in Japan...lucky them:))
Thank you for your response. ;) I'd like to say that I'm very glad to have bought Super Mario
64 DS, I already have it on the N 64, but the DS game is an improved version which I think is very fun to play. Gotta get used to the controls though, not that easy.

Before I buy Metroid Prime 3 though, I'd first like to buy Brawl, it's important, as you know, I'm a member here for a reason ;)

I've also thought about buying an X-Box, but I'm not so sure. There are great games, but I don't hear much about it except....HaloHaloHalo... I'd like to try it out (played it once with my friend) even though I'm not into FPS, but I don't know if it's worth it. There's a lot of talk about the "red ring of death" and I don't trust Microsoft, I mean, I have Vista, it's like a disease (thank you btw, MS or should I say BS -.-). Anyway, what are your thoughts about it? And if you didn't notice before, I'm an avid Nintendo fangirl, but one of the good kind ;)

And what are some PS2 games you'd recommend? Gotta feed the poor console, the last game (Final Fantasy XII) was disappointing to say the least.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your response. ;) I'd like to say that I'm very glad to have bought Super Mario64 DS, I already have it on the N 64, but the DS game is an improved version which I think is very fun to play. Gotta get used to the controls though, not that easy.

Before I buy Metroid Prime 3 though, I'd first like to buy Brawl, it's important, as you know, I'm a member here for a reason ;)

I've also thought about buying an X-Box, but I'm not so sure. There are great games, but I don't hear much about it except....HaloHaloHalo... I'd like to try it out (played it once with my friend) even though I'm not into FPS, but I don't know if it's worth it. There's a lot of talk about the "red ring of death" and I don't trust Microsoft, I mean, I have Vista, it's like a disease (thank you btw, MS or should I say BS -.-). Anyway, what are your thoughts about it? And if you didn't notice before, I'm an avid Nintendo fangirl, but one of the good kind ;)

And what are some PS2 games you'd recommend? Gotta feed the poor console, the last game (Final Fantasy XII) was disappointing to say the least.
Cool deal on the Mario 64 DS, you'll have fun with it...especially the extra stars and extra characters.

Yes Brawl is definitely more important than Metroid Prime 3 ;)

And that's another excellent question because I actually do own an Xbox360 lol(but I actually didn't buy it...my best friend bought it for me as a birthday/christmas/wedding gift to make up for not getting me anything for the past 2 years...and he also bought me Halo3 and Guitar Hero3...mind you he is a broke college student on top of all that, but to make a long story short we use to live next door to each other and then he moved out of state so the main reason he bought me all that is so he could kick me arse in Halo3 and Guitar Hero3 online)(Also on another side note...since Brawl came out I've only used my xbox360 as a DVD player:chuckle: and Mario Kart Wii makes me even less inclined to play my xbox360...kinda sadly Mario Kart Wii online play beats Brawl's online play by 10 miles...Nintendo just needs to come out with a patch for Brawl and copy and paste Kart's online play to Brawl...but Smash is still my favorite.)...so anyways back to Xbox360. I've never had a problem with the "red ring of death" but my best friend has so...I guess it's just kinda hit or miss, but I think they have gotten better with the later systems(I just got mine this past X-mas) Xbox Live is what really makes xbox shine...xbox is the leading online system, and once you get into the acheivement point system you will never even think of buying a PS3...unless of course you want to play FFXIII...but besides that xbox has just about everything, even the menu system "the dashboard" is very well designed...and I'm not really a big fan of FPS either but I really liked Halo3, and plus they have GTA IV...ok so this paragraph is getting way too long and I could make it much longer, but I'm gonna close it out with this:
Bottom line: I would recommend putting off buying an Xbox360 untill you get Brawl and get alot of play time with it(unless your really itching to play some GTA IV, Halo3, or whatever else that doesn't come on the Wii, and you have the cash to spare). And yeah I'm also a Nintendo fanboy, not too bad though I only have one Nintendo T-shirt, but I do have all the Nintendo Consoles.

Ok whew, on to PS2...I'm actually using my PS2 as a PS1 right now and I'm playing FFVII and after that I plan on beating Legend of Dragoon...I've played both games to the 2nd disc like 7years ago, but I never finished either one and my best friend has been on my case ever since so besides playing Brawl, Kart Wii and some handhelds, FFVII is the only game I'll be playing untill I beat it, so take a look at some PS1 games that you might have missed like that. But if you want PS2 games...hmm theres so many, I guess it would just depend what you've played so far(I haven't gotten a chance to play FFXII yet) but if your into ActionRPGs you could pick up Kingdom Hearts, or if your into strait action games theres the Devil May Cry series(I've only beat the first one) or God of War...Is there any genre that you're looking for in particular?

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks again xD (this is getting way too long)
Yes, I will buy Brawl first, so no games or consoles till that guy (it's hard to resist the temptation ;_;)

Maybe I'll buy an X-Box later, when I have money. It's still an issue how I will pay for that, but I think eventually I will get around to buying myself one. ;) And I want to play GTA IV! Last night, there was a news report about the game, and the neverending question was asked: Should gamers be allowed to play the game? Is it bad, will it ruin families, will gamers try and take the government down because of this overly violent fictive game? You know, same old -_- It seems as if the US influences other countries as well and that makes me ashamed...no offense there, but if it's about games, I think it's pure BS.

On to the PS 2: Well, I played Kingdom Hearts at one of my friends' house. I think it was very well made, so naturally, this is a pretty good idea which I didn't even think of. Now that the price dropped, I can buy it without much worry for money :D
I'm more into fantasy in general, not so much into action. Also adventure, jump n' run and RPGs might interest me if the story is good enough.

Bah, I'm done, I guess. xD

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
LOL that's funny about the news story...unfortunately what the government and parents cannot grasp is if you child is not mature, than don't let them play freakin M rated games. Seriously all they need to do is pass a law saying that no one under the age of 17 is allowed to buy M rated games, and some parents these days are just idiots. I can't wait to be a Dad(but not for atleast another year or two) because I will know so much more crap about video games, cell phones, computers, and all the other crap kids can get themselves into trouble with. You know what's even more funny...you never here them say anything about movies! Honestly, look at all the sick movies that "movie watchers" are allowed to watch, or really not even that sick just watch Live Free or Die Harder, if we aren't allow to play GTA IV then no one should allowed to watch that movie.

Anyways...so yea Kingdom Hearts is a good one. Another very different adventure game that you might want to look into is Beyond Good and Evil(it's only $8.99 used in the US at gamestop), this is the description gamestop.com gives it, "Delve into a larger-than-life-quest, where you will gather evidence, expose twisted propaganda and finally unravel the conspiracy. Experience total freedom of movement and discovery as you journey by foot, spaceship and hovercraft through bustling futuristic cities, fantastical landscapes, and even the moon. Use martial arts, stealth, wit and cunning to gather photographic evidence and defeat the alien invasion."(it's also available on Gamecube) But that's all I can really think of right now...if I think of anything else I'll let you know

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know b13lion already addressed this, but since I've played through all three Prime titles, I figured I'd give you a more in-depth idea of the game.

As far as knowing the previous titles for playing Prime 3, I think that all three Primes can stand by themselves and be good games. There might be a thing here or there that you would appreciate more if you'd played the previous ones, but you really don't need to know the other games to play it. Phazon and Dark Samus/Metroid Prime are the only things consistent throughout the whole trilogy, and those are pretty generic so they're not things you really need to know.

As far as the game, I thoguht it was a pretty good game. It's difficult at some places, but not too difficult; it took a fair amount of time to beat the game, not an incredibly long amount of time yet still long enough to be satisfactory. It lacks some powerups that I would've liked to see that were pretty much replaced by the huge Phazon focus, but that's not a huge deal, nor is it something that will affect you really unless you've played Metroid games before and have pre-existing hopes for the abilities (although you won't necessarily be disappointed). The controls with the Wii are probably the best yet. This is one example where Nintendo didn't mess with a franchise by putting in Motion-Sensor.
Overall, I'd recommend the game. Also, I realize it's not a Wii game, but Metroid Prime was a really good game, I'd say in order of best to worst in the Prime Trilogy, the first is...well, first, Prime 3 is second, and Prime 2 is third.
But if you're just looking for a Wii game, Metroid Prime 3 is still a great option.

Hope this helps you!

M.K

Level 55
I've played the Final Fantasy GBA Remakes, and I somewhat enjoyed those. I loved the one with Cecil, Rydia, Kain, FuSoYa, etc.

All of these other RPG-esque games like "Children of Mana", "Magical Starsign", etc., which of them do you suggest?

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I want to get a new wii game. The three I am having a hard tiem from choosing are Okami, Mario Kart and Boom Blox. I probally want to play Boom Blox the most at the moment, but I really like unique art style in games and I want to support Okami. I have always loved mario kart games. I would normally buy the two of the games and rent a thrid but I am low on money and job hunting.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I want to get a new wii game. The three I am having a hard tiem from choosing are Okami, Mario Kart and Boom Blox. I probally want to play Boom Blox the most at the moment, but I really like unique art style in games and I want to support Okami. I have always loved mario kart games. I would normally buy the two of the games and rent a thrid but I am low on money and job hunting.
All I know is Mario Kart Wii is awesome! But if you wanted to support Okami then by all means, and I have no clue what Boom Blox is like...I only glanced at it on IGN.com for like 2 seconds

I've played the Final Fantasy GBA Remakes, and I somewhat enjoyed those. I loved the one with Cecil, Rydia, Kain, FuSoYa, etc.

All of these other RPG-esque games like "Children of Mana", "Magical Starsign", etc., which of them do you suggest?
No clue on those, I've never played them.

~rh

Smash Lord

Try "The World Ends With You" for the DS. I'm sure you'd love it.

Top Bottom