• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of your fellow gamers?

Tienak

Smash Rookie
I remeber the days when the only gamers I got to meet were friends at school back then I could just ignore the fact they were bad loosers or had no sportmanship.

Then the internet came out and eventually online gaming, first game I played online was Worms world party and that was great fun as you usualy had a good community base there, then it went down hill after they thought rope racing was good...

So now most of games are all online and to be honest I'm quite meh about it all.

Why are gamers so anti social? It seems to me that most gamers i've met mostly on the MMORPG genre annoy someone and when asked for their reasons for randomly attacking someone calling them every name under the sun it'll be over somethign very trival.

But this also bring up my next part which is the bad sportmanship that seems to linger with gamers. By bad sportmanship I don't mean they lose and throw the controll across the floor I mean when they win they brag, constantly.

"Lol pwnd" "Owned *****." and so on.

Why have gamers gone down this road? I remeber the days when it was all coop and gamers would work together and be nice to one anouther not attacking one anouther as if they had just killed their best friend,

What are your views on it?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Becuase those gamers arn't the gamers of the past Generations. A majority of them are main streamers and arn't "true" hardcore. In a sense they arn't really gamers but people playing games. I never say any thing bad about them unless they really piss me off.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I luvs mah fellow gamezers.

I'm not one of those MMORPG guys, and I don't think I ever will be, I'm more of a single player gamer, i.e FPS, RTS, and handheld games. The arrogance in the video game community comes from the constant levels of competition. Outside of the actual games, people keep their rep up and they say that they are the best, well I think when someone wins and starts going: "lol pwned" it is just being competitive. Though it can get annoying for example; spending one second in a CSS server...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think it all depends on the games you play. If you play Halo online, yes, you're going to run into a metric ton of eight-year-olds wanting to shoot each other in the face. If you play Animal Crossing online, you won't necessarily find a bunch of calm people, but they'll at least be more calm. MMORPG players are generally 95% idiots, 5% intelligent people, from my experience.

Runescape is of course 99.9% idiots, .1% intelligent people. As an example, I recently went back on the game just for nostalgia's sake. I ran into some moron calling another person a noob, and so I addressed them and told them that it was stupid to call the person a noob since they weren't exactly high and mighty themselves. Eventually it ended with me saying something to the effect of "I'm not even trying to insult you, it's just, wow...grow up." and the noob-caller said something to the effect of "your face, its just...wow". At which point, I promptly logged off and made a promise with myself to not come back to that hellhole for a good amount of time, if ever.

But yeah, I definitely agree with Darkslash. Most of the idiots out there doing all of this **** aren't real gamers. This generation of gaming, as well as the latter half of the previous one, is more of the new bunch of gamers, be them casual or more serious (notice I said "more"), 80-years-old or a toddler. Because unfortunately, although I know this has to happen for them to make money, the companies are branching out and trying to appeal to the max amount of people they can.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I think that a lot of gamers who were only born in the 3D era seem to be more arrogant and competitive than gamers from before then. They also think that if a game doesn't have good graphics or online, then it is rubbish, and if it isn't an RPG/FPS it is also rubbish, asndgames for younger, more casual players is a ludicrous idea..

I am a fan of 3D games, but I grew up with Amiga and Sega, so those games are still my favourite. I don't think that the early 3D games were that good, as a lot of them lacked the charm and precise controls of 2D games- Super Mario 64 being a prime example here (it wasn't the prettiest game, and the controls were awkward, especially trying to move to a sign to read it.) I believe that the modern 3D games do have better controls than older games, and the graphics for 3D are a lot better.
I'm not one of those people who thought that the first 3D game that I saw was the most gorgeous game I had ever seen, because I had seen prettier 2D games- taking SM64 again (Super Mario World was definitely a prettier, more aesthetically pleasing game) I believe that 3D games are just visually impressive, and revolutionary. People who say Mario 64 is a prettier game than Galaxy are kidding themselves.

The mention of Mario makes me want a remake of Super Mario 64 with Galaxy's graphics and more precise controls (waggle isn't needed, as B would have to be attack).
The controls prevented me from getting far in SM64, and I think that a remake could do with an option to have the hints that Galaxy has for each Star, so you have an idea where you have to go to get your star.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm so glad I grew up in the era of SNES. I had and still have a blast with the great 16-bit library of games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Runescape is of course 99.9% idiots, .1% intelligent people. As an example, I recently went back on the game just for nostalgia's sake. I ran into some moron calling another person a noob, and so I addressed them and told them that it was stupid to call the person a noob since they weren't exactly high and mighty themselves. Eventually it ended with me saying something to the effect of "I'm not even trying to insult you, it's just, wow...grow up." and the noob-caller said something to the effect of "your face, its just...wow". At which point, I promptly logged off and made a promise with myself to not come back to that hellhole for a good amount of time, if ever.

I thought it was bad game play wise, but you just proved me right and wrong.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Most people are only idotic online, and fairly decent irl. I enjoy this generation, but personally 80s babies and 90s tinies are the best gamers to be around.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I thought it was bad game play wise, but you just proved me right and wrong.
Hm...?

It is a pretty bad game. I found it very enjoyable when I was younger, but...yeah. Not to mention that to make the game even partially worthwhile you have to pay $5 a month (and I think it might've even increased) to be a "member" -- a.k.a. get access to 90% of the game. And I'm sorry, Runescape is not good enough to make it worth $5 a month ($60 a year). I can get Xbox Live instead and save $10.

But yeah, even if the game were worthwhile, it's so full of idiots it's hard to enjoy anyways. Unless you go into a deserted world and set all public chat and everything off.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm so glad I grew up in the era of SNES. I had and still have a blast with the great 16-bit library of games.

Very true, I definetly feel lucky that I grew up in this era of gaming while it was still young, otherwise if I would of grown up in this "new" generation, I would have never even bothered at looking at the older games, much less play some of the true classics that cmae out on those systems, definetly the 16-bit/32bit era's were my favorite times in gaming.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who doesn't play World of Warcraft is cool with me.
What do you have against World of Warcraft players? I used to play WoW a lot and met a lot of good people. Sure, there are the people that are either really stupid and immature, and others that are too serious and forget that it's just a game, but for the most part, the community is alright.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
As long as the person isn't a douche or trash-talking idiot, I'm usually friends with gamers

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The Internet allows you to be whoever you want online. You can be sexist, racist or a homophobe.

Take Xbox LIVE for example, whenever someone beats me, they usually tell me that I got "owned" followed by a swear word. I just tell them "it's just a game..." and even when I win and say "good game" they just swear at me or question my sexuality or make comments about my mother.

I miss the days where you would invite friends over to play some multiplayer games but online gaming is generally more popular nowadays.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
The thing is that lots of people in online games, especially mmorpg's, have terrible inferiority complexes and try to make up for their self hate by downplaying everything they can destroy in the one thing they're good at- games. By trash talking people they beat and johning to people they lose to they manage to bolster their pathetic egos to justify their own existance.

It's all about increasing the size of your e-****. Which is the problem with internet gaming. Anything where you go out and meet the actual people is awesome, especially the Melee scene. It's just fun to go out and chat with people while playing your favorite game. It's just like inviting your friends for sleepovers, except on a much larger scale.

I will openly admit that I am a very young gamer and actually was only REALLY introduced to games with the Wii. I feel kind of ashamed of myself because I have to thank the Wii - the curse of every true gamer - for bringing me into this amazing community.

Puddin

Smash Lord
You obviously hadn't spent enough time on Runescape beforehand. Could you honestly expect more of an answer then what you got? Most of Runescape's population is under 13 years of age because their minds haven't developed enough to realise Runescape sucks and that there are much better games worth their time out there.

Although because I am a gamer and generally tend to not "fit in" with the rest of society I inherently hate the fellow gamer as well.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The thing is that lots of people in online games, especially mmorpg's, have terrible inferiority complexes and try to make up for their self hate by downplaying everything they can destroy in the one thing they're good at- games. By trash talking people they beat and johning to people they lose to they manage to bolster their pathetic egos to justify their own existance.
Insightful. I agree 105%.

It's similar to real life. People act mean to others to make themselves feel better in a lot of cases. I guess the important thing is to not let it bother you. No matter how you react, chances are they're going to think of themselves as being dominant anyway. Let 'em think it if that's what helps 'em sleep at night.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You obviously hadn't spent enough time on Runescape beforehand. Could you honestly expect more of an answer then what you got? Most of Runescape's population is under 13 years of age because their minds haven't developed enough to realise Runescape sucks and that there are much better games worth their time out there.
No, I spent a good year, year and a half playing Runescape. I just stopped for long enough that I forgot how absolutely ******** the people on there are.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I'm so glad that I didn't play Runescape for long after reading some of these posts.

As for me, my only real expiereinces with online gaming are Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, but you can't exactly tell how those poeple are.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you play With Anyone, there are no names...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I have no clue, I've never played MKWii online.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I have no clue, I've never played MKWii online.
*gasp*

You missed the only Wii game with no lag what so ever. Toadette owns everybody in this game, (well at least my Toadette).

But there are cheaters, oh my bad, BIG cheaters online because those people are n00b's that can't win worth crap, so they cheat to win. =/

But this has been said many times, if you play the game too seriously, try your hardest to place high and to win, your sportsmanship might drop.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
What do you have against World of Warcraft players? I used to play WoW a lot and met a lot of good people. Sure, there are the people that are either really stupid and immature, and others that are too serious and forget that it's just a game, but for the most part, the community is alright.
Well....

It's all about increasing the size of your e-****. Which is the problem with internet gaming. Anything where you go out and meet the actual people is awesome, especially the Melee scene. It's just fun to go out and chat with people while playing your favorite game. It's just like inviting your friends for sleepovers, except on a much larger scale.

I will openly admit that I am a very young gamer and actually was only REALLY introduced to games with the Wii. I feel kind of ashamed of myself because I have to thank the Wii - the curse of every true gamer - for bringing me into this amazing community.

This guy took the words outta my mouth with the first paragraph

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
*gasp*

You missed the only Wii game with no lag what so ever. Toadette owns everybody in this game, (well at least my Toadette).
Yeah, I don't own the game either. I've only briefly played it once. *Awaits more gasps*

I'm not all that big of a fan of Mario Kart as it is, and I just feel like MKWii is a rendition of every past Mario Kart with bikes and motion sensor control. Then again, I've been really turned against Nintendo recently and...I don't know. I'll consider it once the price has dropped (I assume that, given its popularity, it's still $50).

Wrath`

Smash Master
I just like to play with family and friends, Many of the people I have played online(specialy X box) are total n00bs, or colege students who talk about booze and sex during the game. wich is funny sometimes.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm a huge PC elitist when it comes to gaming (I own and play consoles too) so I'm a little dissapointed with the trend of porting every game and their mother to the consoles. And unfortunately a lot of titles and franchises just don't come out the same when they get to consoles (case in point Fallout 3 and not just because it was an FPS either, I love FPS games). I just feel like developers are cranking out the same god **** boring titles year after year and people are just eating that crap up. I mean jesus, the new Deus Ex is going to have a cover system. Really guys? REALLY? Did you learn nothing from Invisible War? Deus Ex should be updated, not fundamentally changed. And cover systems suck, I feel like I'm being railroaded into a single way of fighting with them, it just forces you to go to what they say can be used for cover. And god **** it it breaks up the flow of gameplay when you have to stop to shoot like that.

****, didn't mean to rant like that. Alright well I mean no offense by my hate-filled speech, I'm just bitter that Bethesda has now screwed up two series (in my opinion) and that the new Deus Ex looks like crap, that people are fine buying the buggy pieces of crap that are released today (not to say there wasn't buggy old crap, but haven't we gotten to the point that companies can release a working game at release?)...

Starting to rant again. Long story short I'm bitter and angry and elitist and don't like a lot of people. The end.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
It can be bypassed enough for people to make racial slurs, unfortunately.

Wiisus was worth it, though.
Me and my cousin were playing MKWii Online once and there was someone named Jesus who won like 5 races straight. I even almost came in first once, but I somehow magically ran into a tree at the last second and took 2nd behind him.

...I'm convinced they play Mario Kart Wii in Heaven.

Miharu

Smash Hero

Hit the nail right on the head here.

The anonymity of the internet allows you to be whoever you want to be, with little or no consequences; hence you have the people who feel the need to spam "pwned noob" after they get a kill in any FPS or win say a game in SC. Of course in real life, it's not like you can just turn to the guy sitting next to you and call him a "****ing ***got" while making various derogatory comments towards his family members without expecting something in return. But once you're enclosed in your room behind the safety of your monitor, there's very little that people can do to you.

Also, it's funny how the mass majority of those who play MMOs think they have a talent for gaming, when in reality the amount of time spent on said game is directly correlated with how "strong/good" you appear to be. Grinding is ********. With that being said, MMOs can be a lot of fun, but from my experience (wasted a good 2+ years on RO here) they take up far too much time and reward you with very little as an end result (**** server wipes).

On a related note, most people are notoriously BAD when it comes to gaming, but they think that they're good because they can wipe the floor with their friends. Then they go out into the competitive world...

And get crushed.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
QFT

Old gen gaming was likely the era of the most "idiot-free gamers". Likely due to the fact that there was no online and a lot of games didn't have multiplayer. Still, most of the people brought up with those games usually aren't as stupid as the gamers this generation.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It comes down to the individuals and what type of gamer the person is. When I play TF2 normally everybody is pretty mellow but once in a while you run into some assclown on his period that will ***** if someone they deem to be "less-skilled" gets a kill off of them.

It doesn't just happen on the internet either. I went to an arcade once and there was this guy that would play just about every fighting game and show off when he won. Every single time. If you didn't know how to play he'd insult the person and tell them to stop playing. He didn't have any friends there as far as I could see and I heard he used to carry a knife where ever he went. I'm sure he's not the only one that acts like that in there either.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I have chosen my friends carefully, and I'm glad I did.
They are calm and easy, and don't mind it when I destroy them.
They never call me names, and I don't to them.

And if we DO start insulting, it's because we're joking.
I don't like those with too high self esteem.
It's okay if they lose and say GG, or something of the like.
Or if they make a small john, whatever (Some johns seem perfectly legitimate to me).
But when they start talking crap and don't have the skills to back it up, AND THEN talk about how CHEAP I AM?!
No.

But yeah, I don't have friends like that.
My friends are awesome.

But, I've run into my share of idiotic gamers.

"Ike sucks!" Just because he's slow?
"That was n00bish." I had used Marth's fsmash twice, and got a tipper on both.
I'm happy to say I got a KO off of both fsmashes.
"Stop using shield so much!" I block 'em when I see 'em.
And last but NOT least.....
"I bet pros NEVER use shields!" >_<
I spent so long laughing my head off.

Corpse

Smash Rookie
Depends on the games they play, and their attitude. :laugh: I feel that the reason that this generation of gamers today are worse than the past's, is because gaming today had become much more popular. Before it was small amount of people that enjoyed games, but today there are so many gamers it feels unrealistic. Because of this there is a larger amount of idiotic gamers. :( I feel very fortunate that I was raised on the genesis.

K64

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorta anti-social, but I stay away from being an d-bag and be a little polite. Typically, I only (as of this post) play one MMORPG (it's not WoW or any of them money grubbing products) and found out that there's some good people out there.
And the annoying children I mean annoying all caps lock. There are people that're constantly acting their shoe size and they're older than me. That's sad.

Top Bottom