• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

Variable

Smash Ace
Snake: I like playing defensive yet offensive at times. Very strategic character, and has a lot to offer. Is a top character, and very fun to play as. :D

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
i picked up a pad

i took a token with pone text

i put the token over the character icon

THERE! i found my character

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
There was already a thread on this topic, so I merged them together like magic :grin:

:fox: - Chose him as a main simply because I am a huge fanboy for the Starfox series. He was the main character in the series so I figured it would be right to choose him. He is also fun to play, so win-win.
:wolf: - I liked him in the games, he was my 2nd favorite character. I also like his playstyle and how I can actually spike opponents with him, unlike I can with Fox :urg:
:diddy: - I like monkeys :bee:
:lucario: - I don't really know where this character came from. I was simply playing some friendlies with people, and had a hard time choosing a character, and I randomly chose him. Very fun character indeed.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I'd like to edit some of my Brawl mains, because I want to. I use a lot of characters, but not all of them. I think it's better to list the characters I don't use :

Marth, Peach, the two DK, the ICs, Toon Link, Sonic (I'm too slow to use him properly), Lucario (too overrated for my taste), Olimar (though I like to go Pikminless for kicks), Sheik and ZSS.

Yup, I use 26 characters out of 37 (some of them properly, some others not). :awesome:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i began to have a reckless playstyle in brawl cuz i wanted to, so i picked sheik cuz i thought she was the fastest (then i realized mk and diddy are faster, but i was more comfortable with her character cuz of melee)

sheik is mad cute too, pink

kittehg0d

Smash Rookie
Kirby.

I love the kirby games, and to be honest, he was pretty good in SSBM.

yeah, i said it.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I just like female characters over males. (Fighting and shooting game wise.) I like Peach more than Zelda and Samus. Kirby though I always loved Kirby series since I was a kid.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I hope my memory is serving me. I believe it happened like this:

First, in my quest to beat Classic Mode on Hard without Continuing with every character, I noticed that I had the easiest time using Ike and Fox. They were the first two characters I cleared Classic on Very Hard with, and the only characters with which I could clear Classic on Intense. Then, I went to the multiplayer. I assembled an order of stages, and played through them in that order with every character, in 5-stock matches. Eventually, I beat all 31 stages with Ike against 3 Level 7 foes. With Mr. Game & Watch and Fox, I beat all the stages against 3 Level 6 foes. I've never traveled to any tournaments, but I asked a classmate who knows a lot about Brawl. He showed me a formula for who I'd most likely win and lose against in tournaments, but I didn't understand it. All I know is Ike, Fox, and Game & Watch are my 3 best characters, Jigglypuff is my worst, and I'm about evenly skilled with the other 31+ characters.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I chose Samus because I am a Metroid fan. There was no Metroid game for the Nintendo 64, which was disappointing, so I used Samus in Super Smash Bros. She has been my main ever since, and will always be as long as there is a Super Smash Bros. game featuring her.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
His GIANT Hammer

Edit: In Melee I picked Sheik because of her speed and power. Of course, everyone thought I was cheating when I choose Sheik so to prove myself, my other main was Mewtwo

Reach_Out_12

Smash Rookie
I have played Captain Falcon since the Smash 64 era nearly exclusively. I loved his playstyle and learned about all his tricks in all three games (I love him in Brawl too, even if he was severely nerfed).

I chose ZSS as my new main for Brawl (Falcon being a close second), because I wanted to change things up a bit and start to branch out my pool of characters, so I jumped in the lab with her and really liked her areal and suit piece game.

I could care less about a character's origins- all that matters is the playstyle to me.

Oimetra

Smash Cadet
Ike: Cuz i like swords and he is way manlier than marth
Falco: Cuz he was my main in melee and i kinda feel attach to it ;p

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Zero Suit Samus because I love the old metroid games and Metroid Zero Mission is one of my favorite games. She is also very fun to use and is really good. Also because I like arial characters a lot for some reason.

:phone:

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I grew up playing Sonic the Hedgehog, and I must confess that even if all his attacks did 1% I'd keep using him. So... "fanboyism" I guess.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Wario cuz i've always liked Wario in the mario games, i always tend to like the anti heroes/evil clones of characters and when I tried him out in Brawl he was tons of fun. I also main Toon link because he's so adorable and his playstyle is so awesome even though i'm not really a LOZ fan(Although i do like Wind waker ironically)

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Well I main primarily Yoshi/Kirby because I just love the character themselves. I sometimes play with IC/MrG&W but not on a regular basis. Same goes with Captain Olimar but I'm starting to play as him more often. I play as those latter 3 for the same reason I play with the former two.

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
My full history, or my most recent mains? :p

Meh, I'll give my most reliable mains:

64: Mario. 'Cause he's Mario. He's a great starter, and I play best as him, unless I spam Kirby's Up-B.

Melee: Samus. I played some pretty competitive players at my school's video game club, and I lost all the time mainly because I had no main (Mario wasn't my best choice anymore) and I was so totally new to the GCN controller for Smash (I played Brawl with the Wii Remote). Eventually, randomly, I chose Samus, and lo and behold, I did very well, enough for her to become my main and let me dominate everyone, even the best player we had.

Brawl: Sonic. He's the REASON I wanted Brawl. Sonic's THE biggest part of my gaming life, and a big part of my life period (next to Bionicle), so DURR I wanted him. And you know what? I was a natural at him.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
My love of EarthBound and Mother 3. I discovered EarthBound after Smash 64 came out and started playing as Ness and continued using him in Melee. I started using Lucas in Brawl before I unlocked Ness and liked him. I'm a bit better with Lucas but I still play as Ness pretty frequently.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
:falco: - I used to specifically pick the 4th controller slot for Starfox64 just to play as Falco in multiplayer. He was the character I would play as in Melee when I wanted to play competitively (Mewtwo was fun to play, but hard to win with) So when Brawl came 'round and Mewtwo wasnt included, falco was assumed the main position.

:pt: - I fell in love with Pokemon Trainer the moment I logged on the Smash website and saw the update. He kept me exicted for brawl through all of the crap updates we got (read: tripping, fatigued moves, etc)

D

Deleted member

I chose Wolf because he's powerful, he's fast enough to be useful to me, and he has a fine set of specials move for recovering and reflecting.

Also, dat theme song.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
:falco: - I used to specifically pick the 4th controller slot for Starfox64 just to play as Falco in multiplayer. He was the character I would play as in Melee when I wanted to play competitively (Mewtwo was fun to play, but hard to win with) So when Brawl came 'round and Mewtwo wasnt included, falco was assumed the main position.

:pt: - I fell in love with Pokemon Trainer the moment I logged on the Smash website and saw the update. He kept me exicted for brawl through all of the crap updates we got (read: tripping, fatigued moves, etc)
I always used the 3rd controller because I liked being slippy. His character may be annoying but I liked playing as a frog

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Recently, my friend and I were playing the first Super Smash Bros., and when I tried out Captain Falcon, I was disappointed by how short his recovery was (compared to Melee/Brawl, at least). I begun to use DK, and I enjoy his gameplay, though I didn't find a good use of his DownB move yet...

Komlan

Smash Rookie
My main is Lucas because I think he has one of the best recovery in the game(obviously it depends of your school to control it). i also love his Pk fire :p

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Well, in the Melee days, I started to play the game a ton more and get way more into it. I went from character to character, but for the majority of the game Captain Falcon was my main, and he's the guy I did it all with looking back. Later on in my Melee days prior to Brawl, Ness was a work in progress backup and I was able to beat seemingly anyone with my Falco.

So Brawl came out, and Captain Falcon was going to be my main for the third smash in a row before I figured out they ruined him. It took a decent amount of gameplay to realize what they did to my man, but then my Melee backup Ness became my guy until last April.

I never really lost interest in smash but I quit playing it religiously for a time starting about this time last summer, but early this year I started to go crazy on it again like I always did. After using Ness for a few hours worth of gameplay, I felt like I lost something that I used to have. I then played a competitive level match with him online and got destroyed. Lag completely ruins Ness (primarially PK thunder lag imo) so I got a little frustrated.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events after that, but I started trying to find a new character, and somehow started playing with Falco. I nevert would have thought I'd use him on Brawl because of how they changed his moveset up a bit from Melee and from lack of trying it out much I didn't like it. But...I started training and learning his AT's, and that's what led to Falco becoming my main. Now I've reached a new peak and I'm starting to play at the competitive Smash skill level. Falco is sure going to be my main for the rest of the game's lifespan.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Well, if you have a good internet connection, Ness' PK Thunder won't be affected that much by the lag. If you want to, I can Brawl you tommorrow to see how good you are with Falco :)

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Sure, I'll play you sometime tomorrow. By the way, I have Mediacom and to say the least they're the worst rated internet service in the U.S. by consumer reports. It has it's good and bad days...

My connection is suppossed to be high speed, and usually I don't have too much trouble with online gaming on a daily basis, but I wish I had a faster, more reliable service.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Zero Suit Samus- I like playing as characters who are clearly good, but not overly dominant. ZSS fits the bill, where I always have a chance in a match, and so does my opponent. I also like her unique style which revolves around air attacks rather than Smash attacks for KO.

Pokemon Trainer- Just flat out awesome. Squirtle and Charizard are my favorite characters to play as and I love being able to change character mid-match. The three of them put together are a pretty useless secondary for ZSS but they're still hella fun.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Samus. Because Metroids rock and so does Samus

Luigi and Diddy to fill a trio

Top Bottom