• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

Stewpedaso

Smash Rookie
Sorry, this is soo long. =P

A long time ago, when i was about 7, i went over to my cousin's house and he had a N64 with a game called Super Smash Brothers... i started playing it and immediately fell in love with the game. Back then i played Kirby because his recovery was easy to get used to.

Then Melee came out, when i got it i played kirby for a while. but my cousin kept beating me with his Falco.. so i figured if i have a faster character i could beat him. soo i picked up fox... Later on i picked up mario, because a well timed cape could ruin almost anything.

Then i got Brawl, continued to main Mario, then picked up Yoshi because of his speed and awesome aerials. After playing only Mario and Yoshi for a while i soon decided i needed a character with more range. (At about this time i started playing SSB competitively and learning some ATs). I've tried many characters since then Marth, Ness, Ike, Olimar... and other ranged characters None of them suited me... So now i just stick with Mario and Yoshi. :)

Sadly im beginning to get bored with brawl. Not that i love the game any less...
Just i have no one to play with, and you can only 3 stock a lvl 9 soo many times before it gets stupid easy. :(

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
When brawling in Basic Brawl, be sure to not load an internet page with a lot of things on it (like a lot of long GIF images). This will at least reduce the lag a bit.

Kitto

Smash Rookie
Played Link ever since the N64 one came out.I guess my years of playing as him stuck and I always played as him,I never really understood why people think he's so bad I love playing as him.

Haylstorm

Smash Rookie
I started using the Ice Climbers back in Melee when they were new, and just thought it was really fun to play as two characters at once. And then I just stuck with them in Brawl. :)

Briimstone

Smash Rookie
I mained Lucas for a while, just because I loved his usmash. I used him for the longest time, but now that I have been introduced into competitive brawl, I switched my main to Falco, whom I mained in melee.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I mained Lucas for a while, just because I loved his usmash. I used him for the longest time, but now that I have been introduced into competitive brawl, I switched my main to Falco, whom I mained in melee.
true that falco the best

Ultra_(MQJ3)

Smash Cadet
NNID
WALI78
3DS FC
3368-2165-5005
My main is Wolf. I have little logical reasoning for being him. In all of the past SSB's, I picked characters and got a "feel" for them. The one that felt the best to me or who I had the most fun with became my main. I also obviously take note of how well I do with a character. In Brawl, Wolf was the top one that met these qualifications. I then expanded to secondaries in the same way.

Anyone else do something similar to this?

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
My main is Wolf. I have little logical reasoning for being him. In all of the past SSB's, I picked characters and got a "feel" for them. The one that felt the best to me or who I had the most fun with became my main. I also obviously take note of how well I do with a character. In Brawl, Wolf was the top one that met these qualifications. I then expanded to secondaries in the same way.

I picked characters I liked and kind of adapted my playstyle to them, so I kind of made them feel right for me, if that makes sense.

I do have a naturally aggressive playing style though, so that tends to show through regardless of who I end up maining.

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
I chose to main Kirby because he is favorite nintendo character and copying powers is so much fun.

@ Ultra_(MQJ3) I think I understand what you mean. That's how Mario became one of my subs. Playing as Mario feels very natural to me and it's a really good feeling to play with a character like that.

Ultra_(MQJ3)

Smash Cadet
NNID
WALI78
3DS FC
3368-2165-5005
I picked characters I liked and kind of adapted my playstyle to them, so I kind of made them feel right for me, if that makes sense.

I do have a naturally aggressive playing style though, so that tends to show through regardless of who I end up maining.
I understand where you're coming from. Picking up strategies with specific characters is a must. I'm usually not excessively aggressive though.

yani_

Smash Ace
For 64, I really only knew Mario, so I just stuck with him.

Melee: I started out with Mario but my friends would usually beat me with fox. For some reason it made me wanna try Falco and it was love at first play.

Brawl: Sonic was my most wanted character for Brawl, couldn't help myself

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i kinda sorta changed my main from sheik to peach because i want to be as aggressive as i can possibly be

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord

While my real main is Captain Falcon, I did get that feeling when I started playing Ness / Lucas. I use almost everyone in Brawl, so that feeling went a bit overboard :laugh:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Switched mains to Bowser recently, it was basically love at first play.

D

Deleted member

Probably because Mario and Sonic are some of my all-time favorite characters.

toadfan64

Smash Rookie
Wario. I've always like him more than Mario, and always would want him to triumph over Mario in sports games so taking Wario I could do that. When I was young I kinda felt modeled after Wario with him being fat, greedy, and funny; While I'm not fat anymore I still think Wario is awesome.

8samus8

Smash Rookie
I'm old school, Samus is old school. Its run having an NES character to be in control of.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Lately, I've been using Luigi and Mario better than Ness and Lucas... If this keep going that way, the Mario Bros. will replace the PSI boys as my secondaries. O_O

mrawesomeman

Smash Rookie
My main, Lucario was chosen for a variety of reasons. One being that I'm an avid fan of the Pokemon series, and adding another pokemon into the mix in my opinion was just one more reason to play as him. Secondly, he is a relatively fast character, which is a quality I typically look for. I also like that he has a pretty good balance of ranged and close-range attacks, with a pretty useful counter-attack for when I need it.

ssbbrules2000

Smash Rookie
<My seconds encompass Link, Falco, and Ike. I play Ike as my strongest secondary since he is also a character from Fire Emblem. In comparison to Marth, his aerials are not as impressive. He does make up for range and power, at least.> quote originally posted by Yamato Hong

You've got good taste.

My fav is Link. I like his variety of projectile attacks plus I like the elgend of zelda series. My seconds are marth, ike, pit, and sheik.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Fox. He's a brave fighter and smart leader.

And a pain in the *** for those noobs who don't know how to escape a juggle.

pradbitt

Smash Rookie
I choose Snake because Snake is capable of some sexy strategy planning. Put one auto mine, put one user controlled mine. And then drop grenades while spamming the missile launcher/ grenade launchers. Watch as enemies flee in fear "evil grin:

D

Deleted member 189823

Yoshi became my main when I used to frequent playing SSB64, only three years ago. In Melee, I was dissapointed that he wasn't as good, so I decided to go with another character that I could use well- And that is when I met my true Secondary:

Bowser

His giant size, inmense weight and powerful attacks made me favour him in Melee, even over Yoshi, back when I got it last year. Then in Brawl, I started using Yoshi again...who got even more nerfed in attack power. Bowser got better, I like him more here.

In Brawl, I met my third character- Mr. Game and Watch.

RaqTasmeneth

Smash Apprentice
Peach and Zelda kind of came out of nowhere. Where I was consistantly a Marth/Pika in mellee, Brawl had me switching through the roster for a while-- switching out pika, sonic, and g&w(for the most part).
When I picked them up it was mainly for trolling. Winning as the most feminine (barring pit) characters was the lulz. 'Till it got serious =/

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
With Brawl I too ended up cycling through mains like crazy since the game was so friendly I'd have "epiphanies" where I'd go, "WHOA! I am good with this character!" Coupled with times where certain popular video games came out I sometimes switched to their representatives while I was obsessed. Though the ones that stuck out the most were probably Ike due to his range and strength and counter, Wolf for his "sweep" feeling moves, Toon Link for his speed and item usage, and right now it is a toss up between Lucas and Olimar.

Lucas has such a quirky style to him and his Smash attacks are smashing. A> for a quick snap, A^ for owning someone several feet above you, Av for when someone tries to grab the ledge (and a good CPU repellent since they will walk into the second charge of it after blocking the first). It was really a surprise I ended up liking him, since I hated Ness in Melee, and Lucas popping up on his Smash Dojo site was like, "Well, okay." But when I went through trying all the characters, seeing who I was good with, Lucas shined above the rest almost always. And via him I now have no issues with Ness, strange how that worked out.

Olimar has a unique mechanic and he was the one that I liked before the game released (seeing the update on the dojo site revealing him made me jump up xD). His games were fun, and he had just ridiculously fast smash attacks and a good Up air attack. He is almost mindless to play as, so sometimes I find it funner as Lucas, but I was recently told by my brother that he feels less in control when I am jumping around as the Captain.

Wizard Of Seraphym

Smash Cadet
Originally, I went with Captain Falcon, because Captain Falcon.

Then when I started playing for srs, I tried out a bunch of different characters, and Marth just seemed to click.

infersaime

Smash Rookie
My main is Sonic: He is speed is perfect for seeing how others play the game
and he is my favourite character.

secondaries:
Lucario: if there is somebody who is a slow character player I go with him his powerfull moves with aura is a perfect combination.

Fox: Against speed players is perfect you can just hit wjhile there coming at you.

Toon link: Versus a balanced player only.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Recently, Falco has been doing good in serious matches. Before anyone starts to complain, I only CG people under this condition : when my opponent breaks my Smash Taunt stance (which would only happens in Simple Brawl). Otherwise, I nearly never use it, as that attack has been milked too many times. Time for some change in tactics !

Top Bottom