• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We lost a good smasher and a great person. RIP Sept 11, 2008 :(

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I'm saddened to inform you all that Atul Vyas has sadly passed away in the tragic train accident on september 11th, 2008 here in Chatsworth. He was 20 years old.

For those of you who knew him, he was a great smasher and a great person in general.

I knew him personally from high school and I helped introduce him to the smashboards community.
We all have that guy that used to **** us in smash before we got good, well, he was still ****** me long after I became good.

However, Smash was the least of his talents. He was by far the smartest person I knew, scoring an amazing 1580 out of 1600 on his SAT's. He was en route to becoming a doctor and was in the midst of heading to MIT or Harvard. How smart and talented do you have to be to even have a choice between the two?

He was a great friend and a positive role model for me. He was years beyond me in all aspects of life even though I was 2 years his senior. If you did not have the privaledge of knowing Atul, you seriously missed out.

I'd like to keep some respect on this thread as a tribute to him. I hope mods will be harsh on any spam that goes on in here.

I will update this thread with funeral information incase anyone is interested in attending.

There is a site where people are allowed to post anything they'd like in memory of atul. http://projects.latimes.com/metrolink-crash/name/atul-vyas/
If you didn't know him, please don't post on that link. I guess it's something kind of special for those who knew him in person.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Oh my god that is so sad. I knew him, he used to IM me and ask me to come to some of the tournaments up in SB/Pomona area. That is so sad I can't believe he was involved in that train accident :( My thoughts go to his family :(

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
Ahhh man... Im sorry to hear something this tragic to happen. Ironic its on Sept11...

R.I.P Atul Vyas and my condolences to his family.I will pray for his arrival in heaven.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sickening... I hate when things like this happen to good people (or any person, for that matter), and from Hugo has said Atul was even more than that. If he had the ability to choose between Harvard and MIT, he likely would have gone very far, but from what the LA times says he already went far by touching the lives of so many people.

I wish the best for his friends and family...

Atlus8

Smash Master
I can't believe someone so talented died at such a young age. Also, this accident came up in a conversation and it hit me . . . I MIGHT have been on the same train if Replicate was holding the smashfest at his place over the weekend.

Prayers go to the families affected by this . . .

replicate

Smash Lord
this was horrible

a girl in my grade was killed by the train accident as well, I found out today and it's still really weird because I knew her slightly

RIP atul and every other victim

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
dang thats a tragic thing to hear, I was readin on CNN about a metrolink train crash in cali, and i remember takin that thing a bunch and it was shocking to hear. then omar texts me like 5 minutes after I'm done reading it about this. jeez man hugo I'm sorry to hear that such a tragic thing has happend, my prays go out to him, the family, and the rest of the victims.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
it's horrible that it even happened, apparently even reports are coming out that the engineer driving the train might've been distracted by text messages. It's horrible, that anyone has to be a victim of that.

araknophobik

Smash Master
omg no ****ing way
i can't believe atul is gone
when i moved out to pomona we used to text talking about music
he had an awesome taste in hip hop
extremely talented player

my first tournament was the one he held with you hugo at claremont mckena on a friday night
i remember driving him to numerous tournaments but haven't talked to him in awhile i heard he studied abroad
hugo plz keep me updated with the funeral information

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
wow i went to that crazy *** tournament in his apartment i think.

if i remember....

chu dat (wanted money match revenge after i was beating him at kens house), ken, mango , hugs, romeo (****in ***** me again), alex, dc (played well against ken and almost took some matches), that chad ganondorf guy (his dad was on business trip) and jay were all there. i remember it so well lol. not only because i beat hugo (shameless plug) but because it was like an epic *** attendance in these two dorm rooms connected by a bathroom.

not to mention i played manacloud and beat him after he had just recently banned me lmfao. good memories. (and fabian lost to him match before lolz)

that guy was really nice and held one of the best tournaments ive been to and i thank him for that. Im sad to hear that he is gone (of course this IS if im thinking of the right guy).

either way.... R.I.P

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
**** i remember that tournament. chaddd made a topic saying he was gonna be in socal and i was trying to make it a point to go to it, since there are never any close tournaments to me. something came up and i couldn't go :(

AREL0E

Smash Apprentice
Condolences Hugs, I know its hard. I pray for everyone to never have to experience this tragedy.

chaddd

Smash Lord
My god. Atul was so friendly and accommodating when I came out to SoCal. I can't believe this happened. This is the worst news ever.

My condolences go out to his family.

Top Bottom