• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warming Up

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Both literally and figuratively,

if youre in a really cold venue / are just really cold in general, what do you guys do to warm up your hands before a match? (being a fox player, cold hands just makes me play slow)

also, in a crowded venue, if you want to warmup before a match, how do you go about doing that (in terms of making sure your tech skill is on par) and in terms of getting a tv to actually get to play on

i know the second one is kinda answered a lot haha, my bad :/

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I guess living in Canada'll do that to you lol, but I go to tournaments around CT, NY, MA, VT, just New England area and I've never had a cold venue problem... To be quite honest the best way to warm up your hands in that situation is kindly ask the hosts to turn up the heat XD. Disregarding the obvious, your pits are pretty warm I guess... but the best way to warm your hands up isnt fun, but it works. Just try running them under really hot water until your fingers are well, really hot o.O. (Can't believe I just answered that question XD)

As for number 2, if you didn't bring your own set-up, then the thing to do would be politely assert yourself to a set-up or a group of people who look like they're not warming up very rigorously and ask if you could get in after the winner of that round and play until someone gives you the boot. I don't have this problem either, but I guess that's what I'd do in that situation.

Hope this has helped o.O

~MOP

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Lol I live in Canada. Imo the best way to warm up is to play some friendly matches.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
It's cold in Canada like.. all day. i just soak my hands in super hot water for like.. a minute, then i'm good to go.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
The hot water idea sound good. warms you cleans the controller then freezes you to it so it doesn't get stolen amazing idea I have super cold hand I may do that.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ya, Canada is cold. I just rub my hands together to heat them up. The hot water sounds like it would work better though.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The idea is not necessarily to just literally heat your hands up. That won't get them back to normal... playing conditions.

You want to get more blood flowing to your hands as well. Do this by clapping them together, shaking them hard, etc, etc. Heat will help too, but I always found that doing these things help much more.

Signia

Smash Lord
I sit on my hands. And look like a ******.

Now that I think about it that may be stiffening my hands...

Zodiac

Smash Master
I have had my hands so cold I couldnt even jump out of a shine, but usually I just get by a a heater or rub them together or something or other. figurtivley, I warm up by just doing tech skill one lvl 1 computers.

Signia

Smash Lord
heater isn't really an option as it's usually the air conditioning that's doing it... Incronaut's in Socal.

MarthPwnzer-

Smash Apprentice
Just wash your hands in warm water before you start playing. Then do friendly's and you will be warm.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The idea is not necessarily to just literally heat your hands up. That won't get them back to normal... playing conditions.

You want to get more blood flowing to your hands as well. Do this by clapping them together, shaking them hard, etc, etc. Heat will help too, but I always found that doing these things help much more.
Cold makes the blood thicker and flow slower. Warming up with hot water or hot air (if possible :p) would actually help.
But as you said, doing actual warm up exercises is also a good idea. In fact, gamers should exercise more, haha.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
If you're just arriving in then it would be a good idea to use warm water or heater. But after that it would be wise to do some stretching and actual hand warm ups. Like a drummer or a guitar player does before playing, I don't see how playing smash would be any different since you're probably going to play for hours and hours.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i play smash for at least 5 hours each day before a tournament so that warmups aren't even needed, or at least only a small warmup is.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
You can try cupping your hands and blowing on them. Or I guess you could do all of the things that people have suggested, one after the other lol.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
It's cold in Canada like.. all day. i just soak my hands in super hot water for like.. a minute, then i'm good to go.
this.... can lead to severe burns dont do that

just rapidly slide your hands against each other, or the armpit thing is good too. i just do wrestling warmups (makes EVERYTHING warm) but if im lazy ill put them in between my calf and thigh

Top Bottom