• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah. Wario technically doesn't have any perfectly safe aerials on shield that's universal against the cast. He has situations where if you attack from behind at the perfect height/cancel lag well then he's safe, but otherwise even with tight timing you usually only have enough time to try and spotdodge their counter. So for landing next to people with aerials, cross ups and attacks from behind are safest. Besides that, you can sometimes pressure people with rising aerials, but you can't force them into bad positions or maintain pressure by doing this. Like full hopped retreat Nair on taller characters or something.

Basically, try to land aerials on people/shields low to the ground and preferably behind them somewhere. If you can't do that, then no if the other guy has good options or reflexes, you aren't gonna be safe even if timed well.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
shoutouts to me for not losing a single mm at apex with wario

3-1'd espy, losing a match with ddd, 4th game i was 3 stocking him wit wario on bf and he started dairing off stage lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wait are you saying I can chew on them to make them release sooner or is it just to scare them into mashing?
It just makes them uncomfortable. People don't like to see themselves taking damage at a faster rate than normal, but, other than getting people to the maximum of eight chews faster, it doesn't make people come out any faster.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I daired because I stopped caring.
Wasn't in the best mood to play anyways.

Still a good set though. :applejack:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I feel like we play the main part of the game very similar to Dedede. You have to watch out when she's on the ground, poke here and there for damage and get out of there. Peach's poke game is much more varied, though, and certainly safe, so your best bet for getting a grab is to specifically wait for a jab to come out after, like, a landing F-Air and then shieldgrab at that time. If you can get her into the air, she's pretty easy to damage. B-Air the low part of her body, U-Air through her attacks...Don't be afraid to Waft through her aerials when she's above you.

Aaaaand...She can't catch you when you have a lead. I think it's worse than Dedede trying to catch you. If you have any platforms, just camp your heart out and watch her get frustrated. If you can, catch a turnip or spawn a tire to hold so that you can tap her if she gets brave.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I guess the things i can't seem to get by is when he is off stage, mostly. It seems like when i jump out there i get punished. I have a hard time hitting him after he uses his up b. Sorry, i'm new to the boards. I guess i just need a little bit more help on an approach i checked the match up guide for help on the approach. I get by arrows easily, but get destroyed by his ground game every time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I guess the things i can't seem to get by is when he is off stage, mostly. It seems like when i jump out there i get punished. I have a hard time hitting him after he uses his up b. Sorry, i'm new to the boards. I guess i just need a little bit more help on an approach i checked the match up guide for help on the approach. I get by arrows easily, but get destroyed by his ground game every time.
Punished by what? Pit's U-Air is very safe if he has the ledge, but, otherwise, he shouldn't be too difficult to hit offstage. All of his aerials mainly cover the direction he's pressing (F-Air is ONLY directly in front of him, etc.), so Pit has trouble covering himself from 45-degree angles. Sticking out long-lasting aerials makes it easy to catch him; time a N-Air or D-Air so that the last frames of the attack are what would hit if he doesn't airdodge. That way, you can use another aerial afterward; if he airdodges, follow and punish with U-Air or something, and if the late hit lands, you can follow up with a second aerial at low percents, and he's in trouble. Pit doesn't move very quickly in the air, so moving just outside his range to try and bait an attack or airdodge to punish works well, too.

N-Air works fantastically for hitting him out of his Up-B, since the hitbox stays out so long and it spreads out Wario's body. Get used to trying to hit with the late part of the move.

Pit has fast ground moves, but he has to be careful about the way he throws those moves out. Are there any specific ground options that give you the most trouble?

DUB

Smash Lord
A few MU specific questions/comments:

:olimar:
-Moves that beat out Olis Up-Smash if any? Unsure if dair will beat yellow pikmin but the others I don't think so.
-Approaching in general. Just looking to see what other people do vs. Oli. Mixing up FHs and DJs along with fall speed throws off this grab timings. This one is pretty gimmicky but SH ADing a little infront of Olis that are grab happy and buffering a spotdodge will make them whiff grab every time.
-After playing the MU for a while I felt like Wario's grab game was really important to get Olimar in the air and unable to set-up his zoning game. Wario has the ability to weave into Oli's blindspots and behind shield very well.
-I didn't experiment much with bike in this MU other then riding wheelies into F-smashes thinking LOL I can't be grabbed :troll:Seriously though, I feel like it may have a lot of potential in the MU as far as edge guarding and maybe tires blocking smashes/shield pressure. Sooo bike strats vs. Olimar?

:falco:
Don't know a lot of Wario specific stuff about this MU other then biking through lasers, nairing phantasm and punishing ROC, the chaingrab thats pretty tough to do :c (Reflex come back to NC and teach me thiiis). A lot of characters can do moves during Falco's jab 3 with good enough SDI. What are Warios options, it seems like nair would be fast enough, I know I've also SDI'd behind and grab/f-smashed.

:

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
For Olimar, I'm 90% sure our dair goes through blue/red/white usmashes. We usually beat his ikmin moves but lose to Olimar's moves. Grabbing is great in this matchup, because we can just uthrow him and the best he can do is whistle. He's very vunerable in the air, so try to juggle him if you can. Nair is incredible for us as well because it's stupidly quick and is decently safe. It's also good for following up into other moves. Also, he'll have trouble killing if he can't land a grab/usmash. Pretend to be Snake and live forever, because it really aggravates Olimars that can't kill. I also don't recommend trying to time out an Oli because he can rack up damage quickly. Oli's currently my favorite matchup, but I haven't played a top Oli yet so I don't know what stupid tricks he has.

And if you have a white or 2 pikmin on you, you should uair because it kills them and I find that you won't be landing uair on Oli much anyway.

Oh, and I found out recently that getting on your bike (from the ground) with pikmin attached to you will kill the pikmin.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't think our D-Air stops purple U-Smash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A lot of the game revolves around N-Air. We want to land N-Air, because it lets us follow up with all sorts of stuff, like grabs and general pressure but we use D-Air to beat Olimar's U-Smash, which we can't adequately deal with otherwise.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Totes legal, unless the tourney has banned infinites. The only time we can get out is if there's a platform above us to land on when we get released. But, I've ground released it before. I think at low percents, if you mash out fast enough without hitting a jump button, then you'll ground release. But if he has time to chew, it's air release, which can lead into an U-Smash and kill us. Not 100% sure on the ground breaking, but I've done it more than a few times, and each time I've been all like "waaahhh?"

Labernash

Smash Lord
It lasted from Mid 2009 till early 2010. Pwneroni tried to start one up, but little activity, then he went missing. =( I think a lot of it is un-reliable. Sadly...

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
just saw a video of reflex vs diddy where he gimps him by driving the bike into him offstage, it is possible to be done in tourney after all haha im glad

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh, just a stagespike. I was wondering if you meant something like biking into his Up B to gimp him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, just a stagespike. I was wondering if you meant something like biking into his Up B to gimp him.
I've done that before, too. Not sure if we can just fall on top of him via the bike's arc getting smaller...That would be SO much more useful.

Labernash

Smash Lord
The McRib Special

Is organizing a new MU discussion out of the question? It's 2012 and a lot if expected to change in the next 6 months.
I'd let it sit awhile before starting one, if you plan on it. I think one might be underway.

DUB

Smash Lord
I'd let it sit awhile before starting one, if you plan on it. I think one might be underway.
Oh yeah I wasn't talking about walking in here like "lol I'm making a new MU thread". I just noticed how old a lot of the material is and suggested it. If people are down with idea I'd help as much as possible.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So I was playing a friendly match a day or two ago and I used Dsmash to punish a spotdodge. After spotdodging, my opponent managed to power shield it anyway.

Why is Dsmash so bad and is there any way I can use it effectively?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Only effective use I have for it is for certain characters after they get off the edge.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I need to find more aggressive Wari-bros to watch to get some insight. I feel like I play too passive when I don't have a tire or two in my control. Suggestions? I have a big local coming up and I'm trying to refine my plumber. :)

Top Bottom