• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
I actually like the headbutt KOs and setups. Feels like I'm doing and old school Sonic chase off the top. I'm still trying to find the best percents for it, but I've landed a couple of fart to Uair early kills.

once I learn more combos, maybe i will be able to get those farts into shorter windows.

Labernash

Smash Lord
It's all practice my man. Gotta get comfy with it. Also, make sure to never waft while standing on the ground. Makes it twice as hard to land.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You play keep away with both of them. Olimar once you get in you figure out the situation. Can I keep going? Is he going for a gtfo move, an airdodge, spotdodge/roll/etc? Like once you get in on Olimar in certain situations, he gets REALLY boned even if you are just doing relatively safe ****. He's not lagless enough with his gtfo moves in these spots to be as safe as he wants to be. If you do something like Dair Nair shield (assuming he's a tad in the air and close to you after this knockback), he is in an awful spot. He loses for doing attacks, he probably won't be able to drift away and avoid a shield grab, Jumping over you isn't safe either, and you still have OOS aerials to think about. Fart charged, hit at 30% send him offstage maybe kill some pikmin, BAM awful **** for him lol.

Diddy is much harder to pressure and effectively corner. Diddy is more mobile and can zone Wario more effectively than Olimar can (and doesn't have to worry about Pikmin/priority ****ing him over). It's fairly momentum based and good Diddy players won't get greedy on trying to damage Wario. He has a fairly safe setup against Wario and he wants to play the RPS game over and over where you are slightly disadvantaged in trying to get in. Wario wants to win the RPS a few times, and max out the damage he can safely get and hopefully back off with a lead. Diddy can't usually pressure Wario into bad spots onstage, but he can force him to approach or limit how he can realistically get in. One big thing is to learn banana control defensively. Wario with a banana defensively is hard for Diddy to deal with because getting hit by the banana or having to maneuver around it to hit Wario, and assuming Wario is in a neutral/retreating position it's hard for Diddy to already be close enough to reliably snab the banana back. Z dropping, recatching with aerials, throwing it down, etc

BSP

Smash Legend
Can someone tell me exactly what you need to do to not get air released by characters that don't force it?

Do you have hold down? Not hold up/jump?

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
i believe its not PRESS up or jump at all while mashing. I've definitely accidentally pressed up and then let go of it, only to wind up getting air released.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me exactly what you need to do to not get air released by characters that don't force it?

Do you have hold down? Not hold up/jump?

:phone:
Well, I usually just roll the stick on the bottom half and only press A and B and it works fine. If you hit a jump button (up on the stick, x, y, etc) you'll most likely go into the air. Feet off the ground usually means, into the air with you. According to Micaelis, there's a ground break AND pummel break.

Not sure about this stuff though. I'm a scrub.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm pretty sure it's "don't get grabbed while in the air, and if you're on the ground when you're grabbed, don't press a Jump command during frames 19-36 from when you're grabbed" or something similar. After a certain point, pressing Jump doesn't affect whether or not you air release.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That may be right. I know that certain characters get an air release on you if you were in the air to begin with, but I don't know everyone for sure. It's actually why Dedede gets to air release us during the CG, because his Dthrow CG if he does it right doesn't "land" us on the ground. We slide with knockback but the game treats us as still being airborne, and thus on the regrab we air release.

Different grabs also contribute to different releases depending on how high/low the grab change is. Certain Pivot or Dash grabs can be higher/lower than the standing grab and affect this.

Then you have random stuff like MK can air release Wario if he uses his DJ and gets pivot grabbed before landing. I don't understand that one at all.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I swear I've read specific numbers like that before a long time ago...

At the very least, you can test the general idea very easily. Get two controllers, have a character that doesn't normally air release you grab you, and press the Jump command either close to immediately after you get grabbed, or about a second later. You won't air release. I don't know the exact numbers, but, I feel like it's something like that. Might be 9-36.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Can a brutha get a proper "How-to" on teaming with Metaknight? Suggested video references are a huge plus. Please and thank you. :)
In short: air camp, let him go aggro, do poke damage...tank stocks.

Essentially, it's the same as teaming with a good Game and Watch. You let them run in, 2v1, but stay near enough to the fight to protect him. Just poke damage at safe times, preferably when they are trying to hit your partner, and then get back to a safer distance.

Wario is one of the few high tier characters slippery enough to actually do this "weave in and out" tactic with aggro characters like Game and Watch and MK, and its what makes him so good in doubles.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So I was playing the other day (wifi), and I noticed I was getting away with a certain combo pretty often on battlefield/SV platforms.

Jab 1 to Jab 2 from 0% and then a Fair jab lock(iono looked pretty hard to tech). So I was wondering what kind of jab lock setups does Wario have (mostly looking for ones not related to tires).

Could anyone throw some ideas my way?

Tesh

Smash Hero
For forcing resets, what are my options? Like which moves will jab lock. I know fair, tires and nair will. Anything else?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah those 3 are it I think. I coulda sworn 1 time seeing Dair (not strong hit, like first hit of Dair) not interrupt it, but that may have been something else.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Who would be a good partner for Wario? What should he be looking for?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Someone who can take care of himself, can legitimately fight, and/or keep people in place. I prefer to play support in Teams, clipping people with U-Air and throwing people off their timings with F-Air.

Meta Knight was easy and fantastic. It sounds weird, but Falco/Wario works well, I think. I imagine Toon Link would do well. Marth is okay.

xzx

Smash Lord
R.O.B. is also a very good teammate since he takes care off the off-stage game and the ground game. Wario has the air game and killing power. Oh, and if someone wants to grab-release you, ROB can easily interupt it with a laser (trust me, that has happened a lot to me)! =)

I have (seriously) a VERY important question: Characters who usually can't grab-release (air-release) Wario (for example Mario) can grab-release Wario if Wario makes a jump input. I have heard that about the first 40 frames Wario will be grab-released if he makes a jump input, but after that amount of time, he can do jump inputs without risking being grab-released. Can someone please inform me and explain to me more about this? I find this really useful!

Thanks!

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I second this, I play wario rob with Stingers sometimes and it usually works very well. The laser is invaluable and wario can just hop around . also both characters can wall if necessary, and if you're playing a team with few/no projectiles, rob can laser and top while wario sits behind, pulls a bike using the ledge trick and gets rid of it to make tires. Rob and wario both **** with tires
it's not MK but both do well.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
meaning we have just 1. and a bunch of okay robs? most switched a long time ago, Stingers is the only real one left.
:[

Labernash

Smash Lord
Side-B spam with R.O.b. is super funny to me.

Sometimes I turn on my Wii just to spam Side-B with R.O.B. Against Marios.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How much HP does the bike have? And does the bike take damage when hit while Wario is riding it?
Roughly 23%. Whenever you're riding the bike, it cannot be damaged. Also, if the bike was previously damaged and you ride it, it goes back to 23% of "health."

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hitting the bike while Wario is riding it will stale moves right? Like if I bike through a move.

Top Bottom