• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
I dont even know why mk even needs to use his b moves. They are the most punishable in his moveset against wario.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I know that the toon link MU is in our favour, but I have a hard **** time fighting them.
What should I look to punish?

How do I avoid the projectiles, should I jump around all day or PS closer to them or would going cloer to them on ground add pressure for me?

They have suprisingly fast air movement like Kirby, what's the best way to use waft on them because I can't nail it when they air dodge and move around?

Should I use bairs or fairs to poke, which one?

What's a good cp stage?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Is Wario's bite disjointed by any chance?
And does it cause character heads to shrink in a lulzy manner?

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Hey what's up fellow wafters. I've still very new to maining Wario. I have a question about map selection. What do you guys think are warios top 5 best maps. Personally any map with a platform I tend to do well. Ps waft oli, dmg, bassem, phantom I wanna get as good as your warios!!!

Gichan

Smash Champion
Generally, you want to be in the air against TL. TL's projectiles shouldn't be a problem with enough experience, just learn to get around them and what exactly he can do with them. Honestly, you really don't have to get hit by any of TL's projectiles if you don't want to. If TL hits your shield with any aerial, you can jump OOS waft him. It's also vital to learn to edgeguard TL, using invincible wafts/nairs from the edge. Using bair or fair to "poke" too much is not a good idea against a good TL, because they will simply shut down your approaches with a retreating bair. A good CP stage would be any small stage
So how in the world do I approacj him? lol, like if I want I don't get hit by projectiles but the problem I'm having is hitting him. The only time I get him is when I'm at death percentage and he keeps making mistakes...

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
I know that the toon link MU is in our favour, but I have a hard **** time fighting them.
What should I look to punish?

How do I avoid the projectiles, should I jump around all day or PS closer to them or would going cloer to them on ground add pressure for me?

They have suprisingly fast air movement like Kirby, what's the best way to use waft on them because I can't nail it when they air dodge and move around?

Should I use bairs or fairs to poke, which one?

What's a good cp stage?
TL is gonna use zair, which is punishable by nair or grab if it hits your shield.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I have a ******** amount of TL knowledge.

First look at this (if you haven't already): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252081

So to approach you need to remember the speed of this projectiles. When TL lands expect a QuickDraw arrow every single time. Also expect that when you jump over all of the arrows you will get a down angled boomerang coming towards you. Then lastly expect they will have a bomb in hand if you happen to get through all that.
The best advice I can give on the topic of approaching is to air dodge on reaction not automatically. All of his projectiles are rather slow so you can afford to wait till the last second to AD. Also don't land near TL while air dodging. It's a frame trap.
Once you break through the projectiles and get close enough to land a hit, land just out of Zair range. You'll be really happy you got through and you might want to go at him immediately, but just wait a bit. Chill in that range where it would be bad for him to use a projectile, but can't reach you with his Zair or ground options. Once he makes any move that isn't retreating Zair or Nair punish him.
Retreating Zair and retreating Nair is too difficult (IMO) to punish, so just wait for a better opening. They might start SHDA'ing too close, or use any of his grounded moves, and you should have no problem making them suck your **** after that. When you're chilling in that range it's just about getting in their face for an attack or two then retreating to that magic zone again.

EDIT: I may have made it sound easy, it really isn't.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Generally, you want to be in the air against TL. TL's projectiles shouldn't be a problem with enough experience, just learn to get around them and what exactly he can do with them. Honestly, you really don't have to get hit by any of TL's projectiles if you don't want to. If TL hits your shield with any aerial, you can jump OOS waft him. It's also vital to learn to edgeguard TL, using invincible wafts/nairs from the edge. Using bair or fair to "poke" too much is not a good idea against a good TL, because they will simply shut down your approaches with a retreating bair. A good CP stage would be any small stage
Well, this is what I know:
-TL's will use projectiles to bait a reaction, usually a double jump. A TL shouldnt be just throwing them out there all day.
-If a TL hits your shield and goes over you, you can hit them with anything. If they're smart and DI'ing away with the aerial, you have less options. Stupid Bairs, Hyro will constantly throw out safe bairs, and I can't do a thing about it.
-True about edgeguarding, repeated fairs offstage work well too.
-True about poking, it's hard as hell.
-Yoshi's. They hate it! And if they strike/ban it, the smaller, the better.

I have a ******** amount of TL knowledge.

First look at this (if you haven't already): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252081

So to approach you need to remember the speed of this projectiles. When TL lands expect a QuickDraw arrow every single time. Also expect that when you jump over all of the arrows you will get a down angled boomerang coming towards you. Then lastly expect they will have a bomb in hand if you happen to get through all that.
The best advice I can give on the topic of approaching is to air dodge on reaction not automatically. All of his projectiles are rather slow so you can afford to wait till the last second to AD. Also don't land near TL while air dodging. It's a frame trap.
Once you break through the projectiles and get close enough to land a hit, land just out of Zair range. You'll be really happy you got through and you might want to go at him immediately, but just wait a bit. Chill in that range where it would be bad for him to use a projectile, but can't reach you with his Zair or ground options. Once he makes any move that isn't retreating Zair or Nair punish him.
Retreating Zair and retreating Nair is too difficult (IMO) to punish, so just wait for a better opening. They might start SHDA'ing too close, or use any of his grounded moves, and you should have no problem making them suck your **** after that. When you're chilling in that range it's just about getting in their face for an attack or two then retreating to that magic zone again.
-If the TL isn't auto-pilot, they won't QD every single time. They do it if you continually try to follow up things. They can do a boomerang before or after the QD.
-Airdodging on reaction is very important. Good point.
-About the Zairs, you want to be just under them when theyre about to land, almost to bait the Zair. When they airdodge right before they hit the ground, they WILL Zair. They don't have any other option. You can shield the zair and punish accordingly (grab, OoS whatever).
-It's all about zoning in this matchup. Like you said, you have to be close enough so that he can't get you on the ground. If you get too far away, it starts all over again. You must not camp at all. They want you to.

Playing Hyro every tourney helps. You want to be in the lead all the time. TL's have a hard time overcoming a stock disadvantage/being forced to approach. Land your wafts!

OH, and another thing is at when you are at kill %, do not panic. Do not roll or dodge unless you absolutely have to, and just stay calm and collected and wait for an opening. It's exactly what they are doing to you.

Someone post this in the TL matchup thread. It's kinda outdated.

We should all be able to beat TL's now, lol.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Hey what's up fellow wafters. I've still very new to maining Wario. I have a question about map selection. What do you guys think are warios top 5 best maps. Personally any map with a platform I tend to do well. Ps waft oli, dmg, bassem, phantom I wanna get as good as your warios!!!
Here's an old thread about how Wario does on each stage... a bit outdated but it's still helpful.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182253

His top 5 stages depends on your playstyle, who you're fighting against and what stages are banned in your area lol. Most Wario players have different stage preferences for all kinds of reasons, Wario is really flexible with stages. Just experiment with them and find out what you like.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
You beat zss downb by shielding and then either farting or fsmashing LOL. you can grab too.

I'm sad that SGF rocker doesn't want to be as good as my wario :'( lol

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
easy way to do buffered chaingrab on falco?

btw hows the buffered grab i think im doin sumtin wrong.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There is no easy way to do the CG, just the right way. Do it at the last possible moment. Like, wait past when you think the animation is done (by a little bit) and then enter the inputs quickly. If you have to, practice with just a standing grab, and then you can work up to the turn around grab.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
There is no easy way to do the CG, just the right way. Do it at the last possible moment. Like, wait past when you think the animation is done (by a little bit) and then enter the inputs quickly. If you have to, practice with just a standing grab, and then you can work up to the turn around grab.
you have to buffer it

aka input before the animation ends

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
angled up kills the best but only by 1-2 percent i believe. i usually just use straight ftilt because going above people on accident if they duck or something always makes me mad.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I've actually started using uptilt against fox and falco's more. Mainly to hit them out of phantasm. Its easier with uptilt than most of wario's other moves because the hitbox lingers for a decent amount of time. Plus if their % isnt too high, one up tilt usually leads into another haha.

Xatic

Smash Lord
I've just recently came back to playing Brawl and I'm maining Wario once again.

My usual teams partner, Coco, mains Olimar and he is weird to team with because I'm not sure whether to pay more attention to him or my opponents.

I guess what I'm asking for here is advice on how to team with Olimar mains, it's quite odd and I haven't been able to figure it out

Help me plz. (sorry for posting in places that *werent* here xD)

Top Bottom