• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
I'll get on it lol.

Seeing DDD survive a fsmash at 360 % made me feel woozy.

Anyway, as you suspected PhantomX a bite counts as two actions, as it only tooks 5 bites to get my fsmash back to full power.

Dedede's tech roll looks cool.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Does Wario pummel refresh by each hit (great thing if so because him pummel is fast).

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Yes, every pummel registers as a seperate move. His pummel is nothing special though. Once every 50% is safe.

If there are some people wanting to know how many pummels he kan get in without risk of the opponent breaking out, tell me and I'll do some research.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's either 1 or two, if someone tried their absolute best they could achieve a break out on the first pummel after it strikes, but aside from that two would be most likely at least for Human players. (for 50%)

At 100%, I think you can possibly get away with 3.

Inbetween 50% and 100%, you can get a solid 2.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wario's pummel is poop. I generally just buffer a pummel as I'm grabbing and then throw (until higher percents), because people can mash fooking fast and Wario's pummel takes forever, lol.

Thanks for the testing, Corrupted

Gichan

Smash Champion
What are Wario's options after releasing someone from a grab (or if someone breaks out)? Cause I have re-grabbed people on the stop before and pummeled, then spotdodged and grabbed again, for suurious mindgames.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There are no guaranteed followups after a ground break. Everyone has the same amount of frames of inactivity before they can move (except DK, who has 10 less, and Ness/Lucas, who have 10 more and thus can be fsmashed out of ground break), so it's basically just reading them and doing what you want. Usually they don't expect the ground break so you can often get a regrab off them. People with jabs or other moves faster than 6 frames will beat that though. You could always dtilt, I guess.

Gichan

Smash Champion
And this dtilt can supposedly outrange that of MKs?

Or is it because the hitbox is rather large and MK's hurtbox gets sucked in?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Usmash is slow. dash attack is fast. Waft (stage 2) is faster than up b, jab and grab too.

People don't stutter step fsmash enough. Its craaazy good.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You have to dash to dash attack, but yeah, it's fast. Also, you won't be in range to waft, which is why I didn't bring it up.

Wasn't sure about upsmash, I didn't bother to check the frame thread :p

I usually just regrab if I ground break anyone (which I usually only do for mindgames).

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Is Chomp a good gimp move on Yoshi when he use his mid-air jump (to make the match more even)?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If they recover from below and don't grab the ledge, yeah. Diminishes their second jump, I believe.
So they'll be subjected to egg jumping, which either another bite or edgehog can take care of. This works well on anyone with a bad recovery. I 0-Death'd a Ness by doing that. Dthrow + Fsmash while he DJ'd, Dair when he used PKT, and DJ + Bite. I sacraficed a stock for that, but I had all 3 and was he only had his two.

So it became 2 - 1 stockwise. So yeah, bite CAN gimp. I've done the same thing with Yoshi.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
How much characters (and which) got an infinite grabrelease on Wario?
Not sure about the infinites, but nearly every character has a eadly grab release on Wario. So I'd say less than 5 characters can't take a stock off of you if you get grabbed.

Then again, it's not like Egg Jump is a very reliable recovery move to start with. One Bite should handle things about 95% of the time.
Two Eggs throws have you parallel to the edge, and when you're on the ledge, hogging it of course, one will hit you, giving Yoshi the grab. I know the answer to this specific question because I just went through it yesterday, lol.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think the Grab Release Infinites are like, Falcon, Ganon, Bowser, Zelda maybe, and possibly one other one.

Bite is great against Yoshi, even if you don't die, but odds are they'd do a dj airdodge.

Zip.

Smash Lord
whats a good secondary for wario that isnt mk?
(sorry if this has been asked already..)

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I think the Grab Release Infinites are like, Falcon, Ganon, Bowser, Zelda maybe, and possibly one other one.

Bite is great against Yoshi, even if you don't die, but odds are they'd do a dj airdodge.
The Captain Falcon one is not a real infinite since from about 50% you can tech the dair.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Grab release infinites mean they regrab you out of the air and rinse and repeat, not any of that fancy stuff.

Wario doesn't really need a counter unless you're just looking to have an easier/more fun time in particular matchups (like Falco or D3, in my case). Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, and Kirby are, in my opinion, the best alternates.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yoshi has a standing CG on Wario, but I've gotten out of it with Nair, so knock that off of the infinite list.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
no lol

You cannot get out of Yoshi's grab release infinite aside from ground breaking, which is near impossible right around 50% and higher.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Is there enough time for Wario to regrab Lucas/Ness when ground releasing? By pivot grabbing? Do they suffer 60 frames lag when air released?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Not enough grab range, walking within range takes too longs. what do you mean by pivot grabbing how would that work? Do you think you can dash behind someone and pivot grab within 10 frames?
Just the standard 50 frames air release.

Is the stun of the second hit of nair really enough to combo into fsmash?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
True infinite? lol. I'm assuming that I'm playing a bad Yoshi or something.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Weak hit of nair only truly combos into a buffered grab. Nair weak hit does trip sometimes though, in which case it combos into a fsmash.

Gichan

Smash Champion
you can dash grab a ness/lucas after ground breaking, I've done that. I think I have also grabbed on the spot, unless they do that extra inch DI garbage.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
If they constantly roll, Dsmash works once in a blue moon. Dair or Nair in place, as in just SH and don't use it in any direction, they're bound to run right into one. Also, try pivot-grabbing if you can predict a roll.
[/quote]

So Nair and Dair after a SH with no directional input while they roll AWAY from me? >_>
They're not rolling towards me.
Pivotgrabbing seems interesting though.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i main gw/wario, and it covers a lot of bad matchups for me. gw covers ddd/falco very well for wario, and gw can also be used to deal with annoying matchups like yoshi/bowswer/pit/zss/etc. Only one not really dealt with is marth, but like mentioned above, i think that matchup is doable for wario.

Also, does zss's infinite work on wario? The grab -> air release -> dsmash -> pivot grab on the other side -> repeat? cuz thats pretty annoying ha ha

BMX

Smash Lord
We can barely run the threads we already have, lol.
How about I run it?

I'm usually on everyday obsessively checking on my tourney thread. lol

I place usually well and I want to expose the best of the best here.

Plus, I usually check on my dood Wario on here. lol

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
i main gw/wario, and it covers a lot of bad matchups for me. gw covers ddd/falco very well for wario, and gw can also be used to deal with annoying matchups like yoshi/bowswer/pit/zss/etc. Only one not really dealt with is marth, but like mentioned above, i think that matchup is doable for wario.

Also, does zss's infinite work on wario? The grab -> air release -> dsmash -> pivot grab on the other side -> repeat? cuz thats pretty annoying ha ha
Nope, it doesn't work. Just hold away from ZSS and mash B and you'll pull out your bike and avoid the stun.

Pit is pretty easy for Wario, as is ZSS, the others you mentioned can be a pain, but Kirby handles them well too, haha.

If you want to try and make a results thread, you're welcome to, BMX.

OBM, you gonna be at APEX?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Bike doesn't prevent grabs, it just "superarmors" certain attacks and gets picked up with tilts/jabs. People can still grab you while standing inside your bike.

Top Bottom