• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do I beat Luigi's down B? And what do I do when the Luigi's spacing is damn good and spams aerials so i can't get in?
You don't. It's a stupid, stupid move. Straight-up Mock Tornado. You have to be very wary of it all the time. Try to shield it and chase with a DACUS if you have to punish him for it.

As far as Luigi's spacing goes, be smart about D-Air when you can in order to harass him, but this matchup should involve a lot of B-Air and throwing out grabs. Abuse the fact that he has trouble approaching.

I spend a lot of time against BigLou's Luigi B-Air'ing, and I don't grab and pivot grab enough.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey gichan looks like pit boards will prolly be doing wario mu discussion soon so that's why i haven't sent a pm back yet :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is this one of those matchups that I gotta time out?
You don't have to time him out, but you certainly have significantly better chances if you camp the whole time. Luigi has to come to you the whole time, which you can take advantage of with the range of your B-Air and grab.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
As with all other matchups: Avoid their aerials and hit with yours, weave in and out. Cool combos are a no-go here, Luigi's Nair is too good.

Pwn vs t0mmy (best ROB): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncfZ0l_-hM0

You have to play the bob and weave game in this matchup. Shieldgrabbing is really quite good, tires can be as well if you use them right. ROB can use tires really well like his gyro, his item game is amazing so keep them away from him lol.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Can someone please explain to me how to fight MK as Wario
This match up is impossible for me =(

What's up Warios?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I think you should ask Lord Chair, he has quite some experience against an MK (or MKs, up to his mood) who know the matchup. Although his results vs MK haven't been very consistent, he does have the experience.
He just told me to shield a lot

bassem6

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me how to fight MK as Wario
This match up is impossible for me =(
I just played holynightmare at a canada tourny last saturday. He sent me to losers in winners finals then I took a set off him in grandfinals and the 2nd set went down to last game both players high%. Everything was recorded I believe so I'll post it here after it gets uploaded.

I dont really feel like explaining the MU now. I think I will write a guide on this MU though soonish since he seems to give lots of warios trouble.

You shield a lot.
Sort of. I mainly shield just to block nado and to shield grab occasionally.

Am I allowed to go aggro
Yes.

if you enjoy getting outspaced by everything, yes
False.

What's up Warios?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
1) Its a good stage for wario. Yes he benefits from the layouts and hazards. He is really mobile in the air so its easier to avoid them.
2) Its pretty solid for wario against most characters. Exceptions include mk and game and watch.
3) Get the lead, run away charge up fart, use fart, continue running away lol.
4)Yeah its mostly good.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I just played holynightmare at a canada tourny last saturday. He sent me to losers in winners finals then I took a set off him in grandfinals and the 2nd set went down to last game both players high%. Everything was recorded I believe so I'll post it here after it gets uploaded.

I dont really feel like explaining the MU now. I think I will write a guide on this MU though soonish since he seems to give lots of warios trouble.

Sort of. I mainly shield just to block nado and to sheild grab occasionally.

Yes.

False.

1) Its a good stage for wario. Yes he benefits from the layouts and hazards. He is really mobile in the air so its easier to avoid them.
2) Its pretty solid for wario against most characters. Exceptions include mk and game and watch.
3) Get the lead, run away charge up fart, use fart, continue running away lol.
4)Yeah its mostly good.
Thanks Bassem, you made me more hopeful =D

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I think I will write a guide on this MU though soonish since he seems to give lots of warios trouble.
I definately could get some use out of that. I'm getting better at the matchup but not well enough to beat MKs that actually have decent Wario experience. I saw that Holy really struggled to kill you though. I'm still dying at like 130%.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I don't see how going aggro is ever a good idea. Going aggro pretty much equals committing to getting frame trapped.

If you stick to shielding you pretty much force MK to box with you, or at least to commit to grabbing. Those are the situations in which you win simply because you can afford to lose boxing games much more often than MK.

Learn how to grab in between the hits of his ftilt, have a developed muscle reflex for nair out of shield and get used to being extremely patient and enduring several hits before you actually do something interesting yourself. If you get aggravated because you're getting hit whilst seemingly doing nothing in return, you're not going to win the MU.

If you're dying at 130%... either your DI is flawed or you have the tendency to jump into fsmashes. UpB should only be killing fresh at uh, 150%? Dsmash about the same. While the latter is not necessarily stale, upB is a move that you will get hit by.

In fact, if you are never getting hit by upB either the MK doesn't know how to handle the MU or you're Glutonny in terms of epic play. Getting hit by upB is inevitable and not that much of a problem. It only deals 9% fresh and it just sends you upwards without any strong or guaranteed followups. Grounded upB is really the most important move of the MU, let me get this straight:

It's retardedly safe on shield, get rid of this 2008 mentality of it being a free fart of uair.

If you're getting uairs and farts, your opponent is a scrub and doesn't deserve winning this matchup. If MK cancels the thing properly you can only get weak punishes and only if you specifically read the cancel, at best you can get weak punishes, and only if you buffer those correctly.

Thing is, he has other options. He can keep gliding and cancel whenever he wishes (be it in front or behind you) or glide attack timed the way he wants to, even going as far as glide attacking the back of your shield.

All in all, he has a ton of mixups and you must challenge him in this as well, if you decide to leave this bull**** for what it is because it sucks getting mind****ed you're giving him a free ticket to spam the same move over and over again. Again the same thing I said about shielding: if he loses the skirmish your punish is way more powerful than anything he could do to you if he were to win it. He grabs you? At mid percentages you'll eat 12% and be on your way, if he eats a grab he's going to be in a position in which you can do MORE to him. More importantly, you should kill him 60% earlier than he'll kill you.

As for farts, don't expect to hit them exactly at the right time because you probably won't. That's another scrub mentality thing I keep seeing on these boards that make me cringe every time I see people be positive about the MU. You cannot force airdodges and you cannot punish anything with it. Even if you make hard reads it usually isn't possible to make use of it and get that 1:50 fart in there to kill him at 60%, just don't expect it to happen. You can hit farts, mind you, but they won't be as awesome or rewarding as you'd want them to be. Aside of the difficulty of landing the farts in the first place, the tempo of this MU is really slow and doesn't lend itself for a stock every 1.30 minute.

Well then Chair, how do you get kills? Kind reader, you get kills as they present themselves to you. I never go into the MU expecting to kill earlier than 170 or so %, when fthrow kills the guy. As his percentage gets higher, your range of killing move increases. No, that's not so obvious. MK will keep relying on the same killing moves from a certain percentage. Let's just assume that he won't really hit you with an fsmash at the right percentage, what are his moves? Dsmash, fresh upB, nair. Eventually uair and to a lesser extent offstage dairs. He won't effectively start killing until 160-170%, eventually uthrow at what, 200?

Your arsenal of killing move gradually grows more diverse the higher his percentage gets. Depending on where on the stage you are, your killing moves range from fart to fsmash/uair to nair to bair to fthrow. While his moves remain reliant on either making a read or failure on your part (he will only really get a nair when he reads an airdodge or when you fail to correctly space your aerials on his shield), your killing moves are also your damage rackers.

What this means is that MK is required to commit to reads while Wario can technically continue to exploit MK's mistakes. The higher MK gets, the more diverse Wario's killing moves become and the less he has to keep track of move staling.

No longer feel like writing more! Perhaps later. If you guys want anything specific being covered, please ask.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't see how going aggro is ever a good idea. Going aggro pretty much equals committing to getting frame trapped.

If you stick to shielding you pretty much force MK to box with you, or at least to commit to grabbing. Those are the situations in which you win simply because you can afford to lose boxing games much more often than MK.

Learn how to grab in between the hits of his ftilt, have a developed muscle reflex for nair out of shield and get used to being extremely patient and enduring several hits before you actually do something interesting yourself. If you get aggravated because you're getting hit whilst seemingly doing nothing in return, you're not going to win the MU.

If you're dying at 130%... either your DI is flawed or you have the tendency to jump into fsmashes. UpB should only be killing fresh at uh, 150%? Dsmash about the same. While the latter is not necessarily stale, upB is a move that you will get hit by.

In fact, if you are never getting hit by upB either the MK doesn't know how to handle the MU or you're Glutonny in terms of epic play. Getting hit by upB is inevitable and not that much of a problem. It only deals 9% fresh and it just sends you upwards without any strong or guaranteed followups. Grounded upB is really the most important move of the MU, let me get this straight:

It's retardedly safe on shield, get rid of this 2008 mentality of it being a free fart of uair.

If you're getting uairs and farts, your opponent is a scrub and doesn't deserve winning this matchup. If MK cancels the thing properly you can only get weak punishes and only if you specifically read the cancel, at best you can get weak punishes, and only if you buffer those correctly.

Thing is, he has other options. He can keep gliding and cancel whenever he wishes (be it in front or behind you) or glide attack timed the way he wants to, even going as far as glide attacking the back of your shield.

All in all, he has a ton of mixups and you must challenge him in this as well, if you decide to leave this bull**** for what it is because it sucks getting mind****ed you're giving him a free ticket to spam the same move over and over again. Again the same thing I said about shielding: if he loses the skirmish your punish is way more powerful than anything he could do to you if he were to win it. He grabs you? At mid percentages you'll eat 12% and be on your way, if he eats a grab he's going to be in a position in which you can do MORE to him. More importantly, you should kill him 60% earlier than he'll kill you.

As for farts, don't expect to hit them exactly at the right time because you probably won't. That's another scrub mentality thing I keep seeing on these boards that make me cringe every time I see people be positive about the MU. You cannot force airdodges and you cannot punish anything with it. Even if you make hard reads it usually isn't possible to make use of it and get that 1:50 fart in there to kill him at 60%, just don't expect it to happen. You can hit farts, mind you, but they won't be as awesome or rewarding as you'd want them to be. Aside of the difficulty of landing the farts in the first place, the tempo of this MU is really slow and doesn't lend itself for a stock every 1.30 minute.

Well then Chair, how do you get kills? Kind reader, you get kills as they present themselves to you. I never go into the MU expecting to kill earlier than 170 or so %, when fthrow kills the guy. As his percentage gets higher, your range of killing move increases. No, that's not so obvious. MK will keep relying on the same killing moves from a certain percentage. Let's just assume that he won't really hit you with an fsmash at the right percentage, what are his moves? Dsmash, fresh upB, nair. Eventually uair and to a lesser extent offstage dairs. He won't effectively start killing until 160-170%, eventually uthrow at what, 200?

Your arsenal of killing move gradually grows more diverse the higher his percentage gets. Depending on where on the stage you are, your killing moves range from fart to fsmash/uair to nair to bair to fthrow. While his moves remain reliant on either making a read or failure on your part (he will only really get a nair when he reads an airdodge or when you fail to correctly space your aerials on his shield), your killing moves are also your damage rackers.

What this means is that MK is required to commit to reads while Wario can technically continue to exploit MK's mistakes. The higher MK gets, the more diverse Wario's killing moves become and the less he has to keep track of move staling.

No longer feel like writing more! Perhaps later. If you guys want anything specific being covered, please ask.
I like this a lot. Very informative. Very helpful. :)

Question, though--Can you comment on what it's like in the edgeguarding department, both being edgeguarded and edgeguarding Meta Knight?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Question, though--Can you comment on what it's like in the edgeguarding department, both being edgeguarded and edgeguarding Meta Knight?
(L)edgeguarding MK:

When MK is offstage (or hell, very high up in the air) he has no reason not to go for the ledge first. Attempting to get back onstage right away only means he's going to get juggled. The edgeguarding situation will never get you killed if you mess up (unless you mess up reallllly badly), the worst that can happen is that you get faired or nadoed. If this happens you can just shrug it off, what's mostly too bad is that you lost your chance to ledgeguard (more on that later).

Before you approach him offstage you have to make the choice whether to do it with bair or with fair. Obviously fair is better if you plan on going far offstage since it lasts shorter (so you aren't straining your own recovery too much). Since bair has more range and more killing power, it should be favored when you plan on being a tad aggressive closer to the ledge (obviously you autoselect bair when coming from the ledge).

So what do I do?
If the MK hasn't got his stuff together and whiffs fairs and dairs you can just punish whatever he does. This is NOT the way he should handle the situation so don't have any expectations with regards to this.

It's more likely that he recovers relatively low, say ledge level, in order to prevent too much aggro coming from you. If he comes back higher than that he's more vulnerable to being chased. By going low he also gives himself the chance to counter your attempts of edgeguarding with his uair, which you can not challenge. If he goes too low you can edgeguard his normal recovery and he'll have to scrooge really low, which you can only really counter with a very well timed fart. Note that this is entirely realistic yet also really annoying and strict to pull off.

When he recovers appropriately as described above he's still somewhat vulnerable to random bairs or fairs from you. Remember that in this situation you are the one actively putting pressure on him. Real pressure. If you chase him too far and don't reach him in time, he can very simply nado back to the stage. This is what the edgeguarding situation is all about and it can be fairly frustrating to get nadoed several times when being ballzy. The only real counter to nado is baiting it from the right distance, getting your footing back onstage and punishing it. The good thing is that because he already spent a big part of the nado duration traveling back onstage, he can no longer space it too well outside of your punishing range.

What this means is, if you correctly read the nado recovery and handle the situation well, you have yourself a setup for a fsmash. A KILL

However, there are quite a few variables which can make the whole process of predicting and punishing the nado a bit difficult. MK has to start it at the right distance and height if you want to get anything out of it. It's really hard to describe and you should really just experience with it until you get the estimation skills required down.

If he doesn't recover with nado you can get fairs and bairs, it's simple as that (unless, as said, he scrooges).

Ledgeguarding MK
Even though the two terms are technically the same, I use the term ledgeguarding for withholding your opponent from getting back onstage from the ledge.

MK is safe here, do not make any attempts to get within the range of his uair or fair (through the stage) unless you want to do something ******** like an anti-plank fart (of which I'm not even sure it's possible since you can't fastfall it, I wouldn't bother trying myself unless I'm at a stock deficit and getting timed out).

MK's options are limited, actually not practically existent. They all rely on you messing up and this is really the one point on which every Wario out there (yes, also Glutonny or whoever your idol is) can improve and will always be able to improve. It's all a matter of timing ftilt.

Ftilt. Beats. Everything. This counts for almost every matchup, the move seems to be designed for use when ledgeguarding. Its range is preposterous and the move design is almost to abstract for me to handle. It beats everything because the cooldown lag is nonexistent, if MK does a ledgejump the cooldown lag is so low that you are able to react to it in time. His ledgejump puts him at an awful height, exactly the height on which he can be juggled. If they commit to this just react and exploit the situation accordingly. Ledgeroll takes too long, especially after 100%, same counts for normal getup. The setup is fairly simple: you stand outside of ledge attack range and you wait for him to get up.

What is the best way MK can deal with this

It's simply airdodging back onstage. That, or perfectly space a nado so that the ftilt doesn't hit him and he can circumvent the active hitbox. That's where your timing comes in: time the ftilt so that you either catch his 2 frame landing or that you beat out nado with it. It's annoyingly strict and takes a lot of practice to get down. Note that if you expect the airdodge landing you can also go in with a nair and punish it more easily, yet this is a commitment that loses to MK opting not to act at all.

At any case, you have the advantage even when he does get back up. MK needs space to execute his moves safely, don't stress when he gets back.

A bit too busy to bring this any further, more later...

Kaffei

Smash Hero

This is beautiful. Thanks!!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Also kind advice not to quote the entire walls of text, it makes reading thread pages tiresome :(
I collapsed it, hope that's better xD

Btw, could you give a detailed explanation on how to get inside? Like, when he's spamming fair & uair & nair & stuff.. I hope this is easier to deal with offline cus I usually play wifi a lot (smh)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Let me finish being ledgeguarded first:

Being (l)edgeguarded by MK:
This is fairly straightforward, first thing you should get into your head is that you should always go HIGH if possible. The only moment when you shouldn't go high is when you know MK can get to your before you can fully execute your Bike > jump, in which case you are in a stressful position.

Being edgeguarded by MK is a direct consequence of being hit by being hit away. Proper DI should get you high enough to prevent getting gimped or otherwise destroyed offstage before MK has the chance to get to you. It only starts getting slightly complicated if your DI was bad or if MK hit you with a move with a weird angle, like dthrow at high percentages.

First priority is not getting hit by aerial upB. Your airspeed is enough to just space away from MK, don't be afraid to do this even though you're offstage! It doesn't matter how far from the ledge you are horizontally, so long as you're high you should be fine.

There are situations when you just don't have the time to set yourself up for a high recovery without putting yourself at risk. In these situations, too, your aerial mobility finds the way out. If there's no way to be safely above MK, it's still possible to get below him safely. Your fastfall is really, really good. There are enough situations in which you can just fastfall an airdodge through MK and get to the ledge or even the stage safely.

Yes, what I'm saying here is all very abstract and is really just a matter of practice and experience. ''Don't go low'', ''sometimes you can go low'', it's really a matter of proper estimation. It's not a matter of mindgames, it's merely a matter of knowing what to do when. It's almost always possible to get out of a situation by doing the same thing over and over again because offstage situations are always a matter of what's possible. MK isn't flexible in the air compared to Wario, Wario has options and MK can only take away those options if the right starting situation is handed to him.

When you're diagonally below him and outside of his dair range? If you're high, just fastfall towards the stage with an airdodge and it works, regardless of whether MK expects this. If you're low, you're ****ed. Diagonally above MK towards the stage? He's gonna uair you and you'll get back onstage, shrug the 6% off and be on your way. Below him right below the ledge? Just scrooge. It's a matter of right assessment and I won't bother posting walls of text of when to do exactly what, keep thinking logically because the only pressure he has is the extent to which your options are limited because of the situation you're in.

tl;dr don't do stupid things and go high

About scrooging:
It's often good, try not to commit to it when he's in the middle of the stage because he'll just edgehog you for obvious reasons. On SV specifically, you can almost always just scrooge your way back and be safe. This is not MK specific, but it's important enough to be noted.

On being ledgeguarded
Sucks, bigtime. Be patient and don't be afraid to stay on the ledge for quite the while. Refresh your ledge invincibility smartly, do it with your DJ and do it properly so that your head doesn't get above the ledge. If you mess up and MK dtilts you there you're screwed. Ledgejumping is safe. It's almost never the wrong option, it's almost always the best option, even. Normal getup and getup attack are fair options, but only used sparingly, very much so. Just never roll, that stuff sucks balls.

Note that reading that, you have to keep in mind that MK's ledgeguarding pretty much consists of fsmash. He can do all sorts of interesting stuff after it and I'd describe it pretty much the same way as ftilt only it's better :(

The difference between the ftilt and fsmash ledgeguarding is that your ledgejump actually makes sense, and that changes everything. Even when you ledgejump, however, don't be afraid to just instantly go back to the ledge.

Moar lator, please do also note if something doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I don't review my writings (yeah I'm terrible).

Lord Chair

Smash Master
About getting inside:

Read what I wrote earlier. You shield approach a lot and take away space. You get inside when you get the chance to nair OoS. Don't bother trying to get inside, it's an opportunity that presents itself rather than something you can fish for.

Also, don't play wifi. Good luck grabbing in between the hits of ftilt with 10 frames of lag.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
About getting inside:

Read what I wrote earlier. You shield approach a lot and take away space. You get inside when you get the chance to nair OoS. Don't bother trying to get inside, it's an opportunity that presents itself rather than something you can fish for.

Also, don't play wifi. Good luck grabbing in between the hits of ftilt with 10 frames of lag.
I would drop wifi if I had people to play with

T___T
Thanks for writing more btw, very helpful.

Oh, question. What frame does Wario's bike come out on???

Geerz

Smash Cadet
I need some help with limiting my oponents options. I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I know how to punish and space well but I can't figure out how to limit them and make sure that my reads are at a high % of accuracy

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does hitting Wario with an attack not powerful enough to knock him off the bike freeze the movement of the bike?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ok I have a major question
Why am I getting air released from a grab when I don't press Jump??
Should I just not mash at all

bassem6

Smash Lord
If your x and y buttons are set to jump and you mash either of them, you will jump. Or if the character that grabs you is tall enough to the point where wario's feet are dangling in the air when he gets grabbed, then its an auto-air release unless you mash out while they are pummeling you.

Geerz

Smash Cadet
I normally mash in a half circle on the lower part of the control stick, a, b, y and R I have Y set to shield.
You get air released from hitting x or a jump button, like these guys have told you

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I just said that I don't press the jump buttons. I don't press X or Y and I don't push up on the Control stick, either.

I still get air released. This makes no sense. -_-

Top Bottom