• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah I did a back to back timeout on ALSM.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I remember timing out either Lambchops or Afro Thundah a looong time ago, and they were both genuinely upset about it, even though it only happened to one of them.

I don't think it was saved. Happened on Brinstar.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I remember timing out either Lambchops or Afro Thundah a looong time ago, and they were both genuinely upset about it, even though it only happened to one of them.

I don't think it was saved. Happened on Brinstar.
:maskysmirk:

I remember that. lol.

I have never successfully timed someone out in tourney. I have tried, but i always end up either killing them or losing last minute.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I need general advice on fighting Metaknight on Brinstar. :)
Try to stay under him. Land farts as they kill extra early on brinstar. Refresh kill moves with tendrils (I use dtilt). If hes under the stage then jump on one of the platforms until he runs out of jumps and is forced to come back on stage. You can lengthen your moves hitboxes using the tendrils and round thingies in the middle. Dont be afraid to assault him off stage when the lava is coming up. Like if you wanna go for an extra risky fart off stage wait till the lava is coming up so you can recover if he dairs you or something.

Geerz

Smash Cadet
how do you perform the different distance glide tosses? cuz sometimes ill get a long one but i usually get a short one instead

BPx

Smash Lord
Its all timing. It took me a long time to get consistent with the long glide toss, and even now, I still suck :( Just sit in training mode, spawn bananas, and practice glide tossing.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
The timing is really precise, you almost have to press roll and the c-stick at the same time. Almost, but not quite at the same time.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
It's WAAAAY eaiser for me ever since I changed R trigger to attack. Had to get used to using L for shield, definitely not impossible though and I can consistently do DACUSes.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Yeah Kaffei haha it is annoying to have to be like "erm hey 1 min lemme make my tag", but in the end it really is worth it.

Gichan

Smash Champion
phiddles LOL, always a troll.

1. How does setting R button to attack make it easier to dacus?

2. How do I deal with DDD's bair?

3. What do I do vs sonic's invincible ball thingy on yoshi and/or picto?

bassem6

Smash Lord
phiddles LOL, always a troll.

1) Dunno, I use the normal button scheme and am usually pretty consistent.

2) Get above him and dair or try to fair him before or after the hitbox comes out. Alternatively, count his jumps (he has 4 in the air) then move to where hes going to land and shield grab his bair ( some might mix it up with a b reversed suck up but you can bite him if he tries that).

3) I dont think picto is a legal cp anymore and you should most definitely ban yoshis against any sonic you play. If you MUST play him at a stage with a slope then I would say try to get an early lead then just run away and force him to approach you. If hes camping the end of the stage with his spindash on a slope, then you also have time to pull out a bike and break it to get tires. Also, I believe our jab may clank with his invincible spin dash. Not 100% on that though.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
1. You use R instead of Z, basically it's just an easier button to press since your finger is sitting right on it.

2. Run away and pull out your bike, try getting some tires maybe. You can sacrifice a tire to lag D3's bair hitbox and attack him from above, or you can airdodge drop the tire, dodge through him and throw out a Nair while he is lagged on the tire. Those are some interesting ideas I just came up with, but I am very confident they will work (based on a good foundation of tire exp).
As for tire-less ways, either work on getting a tire or try to hit after the Bair hitbox ends. There is a very small window of opportunity, but it's hard to tell when the Bair hitbox ends (lasts forever) and then he can Bair again almost immediately. You can also try move through him or around him, pressuring him to change directions. The safest thing to do would be to run away and try to get a tire.

3. Dodge in place repeatedly, as fast as you can. Dodgedodgedodgedodgedodgedodge.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

1. Because you have to raise your index finger up when you press Z, which most people find more difficult to time correctly.

2. He only has so many jumps. Get used to attacking with the rising D-Air. Get used to giving him his space.

3. Banning Yoshi's Island (Brawl) is your best option.

I don't think it clanks with things in the air, but if it's on the ground and it works like DK's invincible thing, you should be able to D-Tilt in order to clank with it if he stays on the ground, and you should just do your best to punish if he jumps so that you can't do that.

If Sonic is hardcore camping you and only releasing when you get near him, then break your bike on the other side of the stage and throw a tire at him--At least you'll be able to force him to release.

Why is Wolf considered an unusually good Match Up for Wario?
It's mostly because Wario has a chaingrab from 60% to 200% (60%-to-death, basically, since Wolf will get F-Thrown at the end). Otherwise, the matchup would probably be much closer to even.

Gichan

Smash Champion
hoollyyy shiiitt, using the R button does make dacus easier! It's nuts how much easier it is, even for timing purposes. Learn something new everyday.

I got another question I've been playing around with in my head. If I wanna do an empty jump to grab should I airdodge into the ground and then do it or simply fall down and land next time and grab.

And is there any particular reason why airdodging into the ground makes you land faster?

bassem6

Smash Lord
Can anyone give me some good examples of mindgames with wario? I'm really bad with mindgames :s
When your enemy is grounded and playing defensive...

1) Jump into the air
2) airdodge into the ground as if youre landing right in front of your enemy's grab range
3) Weave slightly out of their grab range at the last second
4) Wait for grab
5) Punish missed grab with an f-smash
6)?????
7) Diamonds :awesome:

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some good examples of mindgames with wario? I'm really bad with mindgames :s
A thing I usually use against people who like to shield alot.
1. Jump and do a rising Dair on their shield (you should jump toward them from the direction that they are facing)
2. Move right behind them while your dair is still hitting their shield.
3. while you are still in the air and the dair animation has ended, do a reversed bite on their shield.
4. Omnomnom.

TL;DU: Dair behind them followed by a reversed bite.

Most people would expect FF Nair or an other Dair. This is a nice but simple mixup to catch people offguard.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's WAAAAY eaiser for me ever since I changed R trigger to attack. Had to get used to using L for shield, definitely not impossible though and I can consistently do DACUSes.
ok so back to this..
All I have to do is use R for attack instead of pressing Z?

so dash attack with c down and dash >
then up R?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Yup, and observe Gichan's post at the top of the page. It's really surprising how much of a difference it makes, the Dacus just FEELS a lot smoother and easier to do!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hey Bassem or anyone else knowledgeable: Could you tell me how Wario's ground games stack up against MKs? Moves to avoid...etc. Thank you :)

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dtilt and Ftilt
Dsmash
Fsmash
Shuttle Loop
Tornado
OOS attacks
Dash Grab

Basically gotta worry about everything MK has on the ground lol.

Moves to avoid using as Wario on the ground:

Utilt
Dsmash
Dtilt
Bite
Bike

Tend to have short range, bad startup, or bad moves in general.

1. If you get in shield grab range, and he keeps Dtilting in a row, you can shield grab between Dtilts and get him every time.

2. Same with Ftilt if he likes to delay his hits.

3. Your OOS options are pretty bad vs MK unless he is airborne. Stick to shield grab if you can, that's your best choice.

4. Range wise you can't compete with MK's ground game. Speed wise either. But you can shield certain things and punish, or make him guess what you will do.

5. Fsmash super armor against MK will only come into play if you Fsmash before he does a move usually. If you have a read, say you both are shielding and you know he is going to drop it and Ftilt, you can drop it and Fsmash and hope it works. Otherwise, don't count on it.

6. It's easier to deal with his ground game while airborne. However, it's easier to deal with a very aggressive MK if you are grounded because of shield grabbing. Unless they play aggressively and have great spacing, in which case good luck.

7. One of your best tools against him is dashing into his range and shielding. It is your safest ground approach and you luckily have a solid grab to do something with, along with threatening up close moves.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Thank you so much DMG. So lets say I'm really good at Powershielding, that would make the ground game battle noticably easier right? I main D3 so I have this run up and Powershield mentality and its allowed me to beat good MKs as him (typically near impossible ..lol)

Now in the air, Ive been trying to stay under them or within Fair range. I've learned that Dairing into MK gets me Uair'ed or worse almost everytime.I need to learn what to do with tires better against him. The thing is for right now I've been using Wario moreso on jank stages since D3 absolutely cannot handle Mk on his best CPs. Like, I love Brinstar but Ive found really hard using the bike there. I typically just dont approach ever and then wait for them to come to me or back on the stage and then punish. I feel the like tires could help tremendously but Im unsure how to handle them in this MU. I can Glide Toss, Instant Throw etc but I have less chances to use those on RC/Brinstar. Any suggestions?

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Keep one in hand, Z drop it and recatch with aerials, Airdodge, let it fall, etc. That's your best option with a lot of stuff, tires bananas Rob Tops etc. It creates a semi wall: if he gets impatient and goes for a shuttle loop with the tire Z dropped, chances are he'll hit that and be stunned for a sec. Because his moves are transcendent, hard for him to clank with tires without thinking about it (shield Tornado Dash attack Glide attack basically)

Gichan

Smash Champion
Two things I can add input to.

@Kaffei: I personally found the R button to make the dacus easier, but Lord Chair says it doesn't, he may have something to add to the mechanics of the dacus. But I don't know, I was able to do it one after another after another, etc. I spam that **** now. Not even just to attack, but let's say against ICs, I'll do a nair and dacus to the other side of the stage if they try to run at me. Sometimes that is. But I'm comfortable enough with the R button as attack to dacus vs ICs, where as with the Z button I would never try that simply because I was afraid of the dash attack animation coming out instead.

@TC & DMG: Holy told me a piece of advice that I stuck with and helps tremendously. Wait for 2 dtitls and then grab, it always works, I think it's simply because it allows us more time to react and at three it about pushed us to far to grab them.

Another thing is when mk's do that gay fsmash to dsmash, or dsmash to dsmash, on our shields, instantly walk forward and shield again, don't dash cause that's the mistake that ***** most of us.

Top Bottom