• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Shift

Smash Journeyman
I use tap jump off. I never really played melee so my utilts with tap jump on are really garbz and I always jump when I try to use it (even though it's rare to use utilt with Wario). It just makes it easier for me to use X/Y. I for one am not a person to shun mote-chucks but in my honest opinion, GC Controller is the best to use when playing Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, there are top players who use mote-chucks! ...I just think GC controllers are better for Wario.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Moved.

Most Warios I've played take tap jump off because that way you can't accidentally jump out of a grab and get punished.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Actually, you can still accidentally trigger an air-release out of a grab by pressing up on the control-stick even if you have tap jump off. Pressing in any direction on the top half of the control stick seems to trigger a jump release, as does flicking the c-stick.
QFT

its kinda annoying. :ohwell:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Actually, you can still accidentally trigger an air-release out of a grab by pressing up on the control-stick even if you have tap jump off. Pressing in any direction on the top half of the control stick seems to trigger a jump release, as does flicking the c-stick.
That sucks. :(

How do you guys mash out of grabs?

Shift

Smash Journeyman
That sucks. :(

How do you guys mash out of grabs?
I actually just press the A button very fast once I get grabbed. People call it a myth or fact that if you keep pressing the A button with Wario, you'll ground release. I do it either way as a habit since I don't wanna be grab-released. Don't know if it's true or not but hey, ignorance is bliss.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
To 100% avoid an air release, pressing A+B only is the best way. You can also slide the control stick along the bottom half of the circle, but that might force you to DI incorrectly and kill yourself accidentally
This but since I use X for grab I mash ABX and rotate the control stick towards the bottom/middle 6 inputs.

The mighty reflex taught me this method long ago.

Delta-Cod would also agree that its the way you shake your controller/hand that makes you break faster.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Protip: also mash L+R. Even though it won't make that much of a difference, it'll make enough noise to make your opponent think you're actually mashing well.

If all else fails, at least you're being hella annoying.

Padô

Smash Lord
Well,

There are 2 types of mashing:

If I see the ******* is pummeling me or if it is DDD/Marth under a platform, or an ICs, I mash like there is no tomorrow all buttons, CStick, Control Stick, Start (NOT), LR ABXY.

If the character let me ground release... Half Circle downwards on CStick AND Control Stick + LRZ

femmetriforce

Smash Apprentice
Look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0Ufk_0ZMI

Min 1:27 - 1:30

I tried this trick, glitch, bug, or name it as you want, with grenades and bob-ombs, it results that when you eat an explosive just when is going to explode you'll get a double explosion, the one of the explosive and the Wario one, try it at your houses under your own risk xD.

Yo probe esto en mi casa, llamalo truco, jugada, error, o como quieras, con grandas y bombas, resulta que cuando te comes un explosivo justo cuando va a estallar, obtendras una doble explosion, la del explosivo como tal y la del Wario, pruebelo en su casa bajo su propio riesgo xD.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0Ufk_0ZMI

Min 1:27 - 1:30

I tried this trick, glitch, bug, or name it as you want, with grenades and bob-ombs, it results that when you eat an explosive just when is going to explode you'll get a double explosion, the one of the explosive and the Wario one, try it at your houses under your own risk xD.

Yo probe esto en mi casa, llamalo truco, jugada, error, o como quieras, con grandas y bombas, resulta que cuando te comes un explosivo justo cuando va a estallar, obtendras una doble explosion, la del explosivo como tal y la del Wario, pruebelo en su casa bajo su propio riesgo xD.
I don't think it's a trick, glitch, or bug. I think what happened was when Samus got hit, it simply increased the duration of Wario's explosion animation. Plus, DK was right next to Samus when she got hit. Kind of like wafting on Wario's bike: it increases the hitbox and has a delay as well. Soon after Wario is in the air and you try to approach after the bike is destroyed, you may get hit by the full force of the waft.

Wario works in mysterious ways to which we still know so little of that miracle of a manly man.

Asa

Smash Hero
if you pause at 1.29 you can see two distinct hitboxes, one of the grenade and one from wario eating the grenade

it looked like samus got hit by the nade hitbox and dk got hit by wario

RATED

Smash Lord
s.grab seems fine, but s.dodge doesnt, I am a snake mainer(don't b deceived by my icon) and good snakes can react to it by delaying the 2nd hit.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
there's a way to punish snake ftilt(nice spaced)? I know that baiting it is the way, but when it hits wario's shield?
I usually go for a nair immediately after Snake does his ftilt to get a hit in. If not, I'll fair poke him. But shield grabbing works!

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Mashing out of grabs: If it's guaranteed air release, I put my hand flat over A/B/X/Y/Cstick, and just shake it on them, along with rotating the control stick. I don't touch L/R/Z, really. I have tap jump off, so if there is a possibility of air release, but not guaranteed (while pummeling, grabbed in air, etc.) I spam A/B/Cstick/control stick.

Double explosion thing: Wow, I've never seen TWO explosions! Liked and favorited. Very nice. At first I thought the same thing as Shift, but a second look showed there's definitely two explosions. Maybe he bit it the moment before it exploded so that the grenade hitbox was out, but he still got the explosion from biting it too...

Snake's ftilt: I'd sit in shield to wait for the second hit, since that has a little lag. If they tend to only use one tilt, it's better to wait a sec in shield, then spotdodge. Waiting covers if they immediately grab or the delay of the second hit.

Mario footstool after dair: Pretty dumb, but just follow his footstool, read and ****.

Real talk: So I've picked up Falco as a hard secondary for MLG DC. Like I'm probably gonna go 50/50, or mostly Wario/use Falco for bad matchups (DDD, Olimar, etc.) There's a tournament coming up in my area this weekend. Is it a good idea to go all Falco as practice?

Masky

Smash Master
Yeah, Wario can eat explosions as they're exploding. There's a video on youtube of it somewhere. What I thought was interesting was that Wario didn't take any damage from eating the grenade in that video. Doesn't Wario normally take damage from eating a grenade?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He does. When you double explosion, you do not take the damage

Padô

Smash Lord
IMO bike is the best thing to do when you are getting air released.
Not really, If you try to bike out Ike's GR > USmash you get hit while by jumping you do not. But those are some stupid situations like... if the Peach player doens't time the GR USmash correctly you can bike out of it, but in general jumping out is better.

Also Leather, you weren't playing in some stupid stages were you? Like YI, Halberd, Brinstar, Delphino Plaza, which got strange platform composition, I mean non-uniform.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
It happens on pretty much any stage. I just press a and air release for some reason. It really pisses me off when it costs me matches >:/

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
if you press up on either of the sticks you air release too

Real talk: So I've picked up Falco as a hard secondary for MLG DC. Like I'm probably gonna go 50/50, or mostly Wario/use Falco for bad matchups (DDD, Olimar, etc.) There's a tournament coming up in my area this weekend. Is it a good idea to go all Falco as practice?
oli isnt a bad matchup...
but i look forward to meeting you at DC :)
maybe ill go mostly wario again lol

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Falco isn't a hard counter for Oli like he is for d3. Oli shouldn't be to hard to improve at the oli MU it's a lot like G&W in the sense that if you don't know it you'll struggle. I think all of Wario moves beat out Oli's pikmin moves and all of oli's non pikmin moves beat out Wario's moves. I wouldn't pick up Falco. I'd instead tighten up my game with Wario and practice extra hard. It's better to go with who you know then try to learn a character last minute. You can also watch videos I think slikvik has some vids against a Oli and same with PX. Learn what their doing and look at what you're doing and see how you can improve. Also I think nair is good against his whistle.

Padô

Smash Lord
Falco isn't a hard counter for Oli like he is for d3. Oli shouldn't be to hard to improve at the oli MU it's a lot like G&W in the sense that if you don't know it you'll struggle. I think all of Wario moves beat out Oli's pikmin moves and all of oli's non pikmin moves beat out Wario's moves. I wouldn't pick up Falco. I'd instead tighten up my game with Wario and practice extra hard. It's better to go with who you know then try to learn a character last minute. You can also watch videos I think slikvik has some vids against a Oli and same with PX. Learn what their doing and look at what you're doing and see how you can improve. Also I think nair is good against his whistle.
Airdodge grab is good. (<3 Fiction)
Kill Olimar at 20% with 1:50 fart.
DON'T YOU EVER APPROACH WITHOUT THINKING, you are getting pivot grabbed.
Get greedy off stage.
Bait Whistles.

This is a brief summary on what you gotta focus.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Nair is ****ing broken against Olimar. I'll elaborate if people really can't figure out why :)
Post it so people will know what to do against pesky Olimars. I have Olimar trouble especially since the only Olimar we have in MD/VA is Pyronic Star/Logic. He's one of the best and he's incredibly difficult to beat.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I'm seconding Falco more for the stage CP advantage than the character matchups (except for DDD, of course). And I personally have barely any Oli exp, so I'm not too confident in the matchup. Thanks for the tips guys.

I still plan on going all-Falco for a tourney this coming weekend, but I'll probably go whichever character I feel does better in the specific matchup from then on.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Post it so people will know what to do against pesky Olimars. I have Olimar trouble especially since the only Olimar we have in MD/VA is Pyronic Star/Logic. He's one of the best and he's incredibly difficult to beat.
Logic is da shiiiiiiiit!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Nair will either combo Olimar to hell and back at lower percentages, or will generally put him in a very awkward position at higher percentages. His physics just totally fit the move, you know the way you CAN'T nair > grab Falco when he's at 0%? Well, against Olimar you can do that and more. Nair > nair > fsmash, nair > nair > fair > ledge- or edgeguard, nair > jab > grab, ENDLESS AND ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES depending on percentages, you can really knock yourself out on that one.

Aside of how badly his mechanics (his light weight and general floatiness) are, the move is rather safe in general. On shield, it's obviously extremely safe, the first hitbox beats most (not all) of his pikmin moves, if you keep timing it well you can give Olimar a hard time beating it through conventional means.

At higher percentages, its awkward knockback angle can screw him up as well.

Its speed makes it preferable over dair in close combat situations, you definitely can't use it as a long range approach (lol nothing works as a long range approach against Olimar), but its normal uses (decently safe, comboability, speed) are amplified in this MU because of the way Olimar works.

Do know that if Olimar is in the air, you should never fear him. Most of you probably already know this, but for the few who still actually play really safe when he's up there: don't. Every aerial you hit while he's in the air puts him in an even more awkward position, your air game beats his because of the STUPID aspect of his air game that's called priority. All of his aerials can be outprioritized. Of course we don't outrange him, but so long as you time everything well (it's a perfectly human thing to do) you'll beat him regardless. Your fair will beat his, your dair will beat his uair, your uair beats his dair, SO LONG AS YOU TIME IT WELL.

Know when you have to commit to using uair to remove pikmin. When they're on certain parts of your body, you CAN'T KILL THEM WITH NAIR OR DAIR DON'T EVEN BOTHER (i.e. use uair), I'd note exact spots but I usually do it instinctively lol sorry ^^. I hate it when I see Wario players using nair like 5 times to knock off 2 white pikmin, which'll do their 500000% anyway. I know it's a ***** to have uair go stale, but it's better than taking unnecessary damage.

Tires are not really good against Olimar, watch Krys' vids against Hilt (I believe it was Hilt), Pikmin are way more expendable and practically beat them out.

Standing on a platform is never safe, usmash usmash usmash usmash and there's nothing you can do. You can, in fact, even just get pushed off and the greedy ******* can go for another safe usmash.

You can go for dropzone fairs, they're safe so long as you recover by biking AWAY from the stage, and then DJing back to either the ledge or onstage itself (whichever one seems more safe). Watch out for dem purple pikmin though, they'll knock you off your bike :(

Bike works decently as a ledgeguard, but as I said earlier: the tires are rubbish. More often than not, you're wasting time pulling out your bike.

That's all for now, more later perhaps.

Top Bottom