• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Allied

Smash Master
Anyone have any last minute tips i am pretty sure i have the snake matchup down can someone give me a brief refresher on my

Options while covering Snake in the Air
Approaching Game
Grenade handling game

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Anyone have any last minute tips i am pretty sure i have the snake matchup down can someone give me a brief refresher on my

Options while covering Snake in the Air
Approaching Game
Grenade handling game

Im not a nationally ranked player and all but ill try to help with what i can.

snake in the air: stay out of bair range. Watch for B reverse and C4 reverse. Try to go for a clap or a waft if you read him right. If snake doesnt B reverse and just pulls out a nade. Your better off just upairing him.

Approaching: his Ftilt uptilt range will knock down our ground and air approaches. Try do dance circles around him baiting the Ftilt or up tilt and get inside. Sometimes you dont need to approach. Crash your bike against the edge, throw it up after the first bounce upair the bike and if you get the timing of it right airdodge when it breaks and you will have the big tire.

Nade handling: i try to instant throw his nades if i can but besides that i will just stand clear of them all together. no point in trying to Zdrop > bite reverse to get the nade explode and knock back it has on snake because it never really works. (by all means if you find the time to do it and know you wont get punished go for it. Sends them at a weird angle like 150 angle, they wont really see it coming so i guess they wont know how to DI.)

Wait for snake, no point in rushing if you dont have control.

If you find an opening and dont want to stale out your moves. UpB deals like 18 damage fresh but its not very useful after you do it a few times. they will react and SDI. But biglou didnt really see it coming when i played him in tourney so he didnt catch on until a little later.

Good luck sir. I hope my words helped a little.

Padô

Smash Lord
Options while convering Snake in the Air:

Dyno says everything OK, I just wanna compliment something here... About BReversal and Stuff... I'd recommend you stay a little more on the way Snake is facing so you can get out the Bair range and if he BSticks he always going to his back side. Like this poor representation:

___S

W

W stands for Wario, S stands for Snake, and ____ Is the Bair range AND the space he gets knocked by BSticking any move. In this stech the only thing you gotta worry is his Nair or Dair, but it gets kinda easy when those are his only options, clap them or chase them to the ground and Grab/FSmash. If he BSticks away abuse from your airsuperiority and punish him.
You can punish anything he has in the Air if you read it correctly, this includes all his aerials and BSticks.

Approaching Game:

What Dyno said is PERFECT, just bait him into something you can ounish fast right after. Kite him a lot and wait for an opening. If you want so you can Airdodge on his back and grab him ASAP, just watchout for the granades while doing this.

Another option is to use the BIKE. Yes, it helps here... Let's start from the following principle: everything Snake has got in the ground is, his tilts to pull you away, granades and grabs. I've been putting in practice the following:
To FTilt and UTilt Snake needs to press A, right? What If you can place your bike near him most of the time? I assume he's getting into and unconfortable position, and Wario can still remain the same because all he's got is his aerials most of the time, so this puts you in advantage into close combat. But what If Snake DACUS or run always? Well... You can always break the bike, get the tire, and repeat the whole process I doubt hard you ain't racking any damage on this transition with Nair or Dair and with a tire on your hands. Remember that the best way to throw the bike on him is by tapping the control stick diagonally Down so it can bounce 2 times. It might feel a little bit STUPID but I've been putting this on pratice and it actually works FINE, I still need to test somethings before giving 100% certainty about this buit I could say right now this works 50% of the time the other fifties is because you haven't done it correctly. :)

Granade Handling game:

First of all, this matchup start on the ports... So decide who's getting the highest port this makes an BRUTAL difference. NEVER, throw granades with the CStick on the ground, he can pull another one and you could get into a random FSmash/DSmash.
Watchout with the Nade-Grabs, they are hard to deal with, try to kite him a bit and wait for the granade to explode so you can pressure his shield a bit, and you might even shield poke him with a Dair or Nair.
You could also try some bites while a granade is near if you got the higher port, but as I said, it all depends on each port you got, if you land a grab near a granade, BThrow or Uthrow him if they are near exploding, they are our fastest throws.
Everything else is on Dynos answer.

Allied

Smash Master
Alright thanks again guys, really informative :D

yeah i hate battling for ports i feel if i don't get the port its almost like i autolose (as a snake main)

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
BITE HIS NADES TO MAKE HIM GO BOOM!!!!!!!
Lol i remember when people thought that was a legit tatics against snake.
Though it is funny when you accidently bite a nade and snake is dacusing towards you earning you a lolzy kill :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's bad overall. The main problem with Bite is that it removes Wario's strongest asset; his mobility.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It is. People tend to over shield instead of spacing Wario on the ground when he approaches. People who space around with their characters instead of resorting to shielding against Wario tend to do better. His harder matchups are because the characters can space against him over and over without worrying as much about having to Shield; Peach, Marth, MK for example. Instead of shielding before he gets there, they would prefer to walk backwards a bit, SH and follow him/wall him, or move more under him to threaten a vertical strike. Even in matchups that aren't that bad against him, Shielding tends to be an overused option against him.

Padô

Smash Lord
It is. People tend to over shield instead of spacing Wario on the ground when he approaches. People who space around with their characters instead of resorting to shielding against Wario tend to do better. His harder matchups are because the characters can space against him over and over without worrying as much about having to Shield; Peach, Marth, MK for example. Instead of shielding before he gets there, they would prefer to walk backwards a bit, SH and follow him/wall him, or move more under him to threaten a vertical strike. Even in matchups that aren't that bad against him, Shielding tends to be an overused option against him.
Gotta agree with that, and maybe, that's why pivot grab is one of the best options to nulify almost all Wario's approach options as Masky said sometime ago IIRC, honestly, bite is good around some matchups because it can, sometimes, cover an eventual shieldgrab > release, but that kind of though has been gone a while from now, at least for me.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
with a proper read all of those options ARE punishable though, especially with a read. bite is good because it allows you to cover the option of shielding directly from the air

most characters can not do this. at all.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
with a proper read all of those options ARE punishable though, especially with a read. bite is good because it allows you to cover the option of shielding directly from the air

most characters can not do this. at all.
word. air grabs are winnn hot fire moar fire !!!!!!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Let me tell you all something about the bite.

ADHD, ALLY, KSIZZLE, ATOMSK, MEW2KING, MANGO, SKY, SOVAman, DEHF, Blue Rouge, Lain, Krystedez, ChuDat, Coney, JUNEBUG, LEE MARTIN, Malcolm, and NEO all love the bite.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno

ADHD, ALLY, KSIZZLE, ATOMSK, MEW2KING, MANGO, SKY, SOVAman, DEHF, Blue Rouge, Lain, Krystedez, ChuDat, Coney, JUNEBUG, LEE MARTIN, Malcolm, and NEO all love the bite.
Ahhh **** i got baited..

oh wait--

Padô

Smash Lord

whers ma *** on thus fuggin list yo

Can we change the subject? I bet fiction is comming here tomorrow and say "bitebitebite" once again. And that would ruin ma day yo.

Cabtn

Smash Rookie
Tap jump off or on for Wario?

Title says it all im using a Wiimote/Nunchuck and i was just curious as to what you guys prefer competitively and why. Thanks!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I have it off.

If I'm not mistaken, having it off allows you to do UpB Out-of-shield which is a pretty good punishing option.

Can someone confirm?

Welcome to the Wario boards!

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
actually it's the opposite.

With tap jump on, you are jumping OoS and using your Up B in a fluid motion.

I personally have it off because I tend to mess up a lot if it's on.

I know Hunger keeps it on.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I have been experimenting with this on and off but I know some basic stuff about this.

First off doing stuff oos is easier with tap jump on but if you prefer it to be off then while you are shielding, you can substitute tap jump for just Y or X but it's kinda harder.

When you are trying to recover you might waste your jump sometimes while in battle or anything if you have it on and if you are recovering when you try to space the upB; so you will grab the ledge perfectly instead of your head going above the ledge, barely. The up motion, when you upB, will make you jump giving you a bit more leverage then you originally wanted.

Having it on also has its advantages. If you are in the air and you want to jump and upair quickly you can just do up A and you will rise while you clap. If you don't have it on they you would hit Y or X and up C/A this is slower than just doing up A but if you claw Y and hit up C then it is basically the same thing.

Its all about preference. I personally keep it off because I tend to waste my jump sometimes and it hurts when you think you have a jump but in actuality you don't.

I just work around the obstacles by clawing or pressing Y to do something OOS.

use the QA thread. lock plz.
I do agree that this should be in the Q&A thread but I can see people posting this countless times and keep asking over and over. This is a basic question and I personally think it should be left up for others to know about it. Maybe even stickied.

But I can not help but notice that a small part of me wants this thread to be closed because it is just a question.

Top Bottom