• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait, Ike can do that? - a Comprehensive Guide to Ike (A Work in Progress)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, considering he just joined he may not be trying to troll... but you can't ignore that name, IkeFiend. Kind of suggestive.

Edit:

IkeFiend said:
If you're referring to me as a 'he', think again.
Apparently it's a girl... or something else...?

:034:

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Use more jab. No, you're not using enough jab. Yes that's how to do it: jab. Bait those air dodges and punish with jab if you can't punish with anything else. Now do a fsmash. Great. You just killed them at 40%. Do some more jab. More jab. Jab out of shield. Less grab, more jab.
You should remove everything in this guide and replace it with this^.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I remember I had a convo with Ryko back in Feb. or March at one of inui's tournaments during Low-tiers and he said paraphrased "You don't need to play flashy to win with ike. You don't need jab->b-air or ~nair->bair...just jab"

It is the sad truth.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
They are helpful when they can be used. Just jab won't cut it vs players who actually know what they're doing. Because of SDI, I've been just completing all 3 jabs more often than jab cancelling.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Well Something that was posted in the discussion thread that I feel should be included.

I like it because it's our most useful spacing tool. 95% of it you know, but I hope I can provide that extra 5%. Massive tl;dr. I'll just color useful parts

It's range is just about as long as marth's fair, so not many characters can out-range it. This means that not many characters at all can directly challenge Ike's nair. Unlike Marth's fair, Ike's nair goes just about all the way around him, making Ike pretty safe against people trying to juggle you if you're fully retreating away.

If you face away from your opponent and nair, if you time it right by landing while the hitbox is behind you while still retreating, he can't punish it. Just whipping out nair while your opponent is chasing you is effective on most of the cast.

Kimchi told me how you can full hop + nair onto ledges, which is pretty useful. Also, on irregular surfaces, fast-falling an nair the correct way could give you a slide, which is pretty funny. Useful on brinstar, for example.

I made a post a while back about juggling with nair. The hitbox hitbox starts above you, which is a useful place to start, so you can follow opponents through their entire dodge animation. Nair can be used as a frame trap in order to get past opponent's air dodges. It works wonders on characters like snake and wario, mixing up between nair and jab. Since many characters can't directly challenge nair, they try to get around it, but they can't really air dodge, either. Ike can also fast fall the nair in order to jab or grab or shield opponents who are still in the air.

The best thing about nair is that it pays off to get a hit with it. On heavies, jab after nair is effective, but doesn't work quite so well on light characters with quick aerials. Back air after nair is pretty cool when it happens, but be wary of danger if you miss, so know when to retreat your bair or not. When I'm feeling daring, I dash + charge an upsmash and wait for the air dodge. Against characters who don't have quick and fast aerials to get away, might as well do another nair.

The attack I do most after nair is just uptilt, since I'm not usually in danger if I miss. On stages like battlefield, it could lead to you getting loads of damage from them landing on platforms. I may follow up with an aerial pivot grab, or upsmash.

The good thing about getting characters caught in nair, is that if they lose or just don't have their second jump, It's an easy pivot grab-->backthrow+dash attack.

In combintion with Ike's other moves such as jab nair provides us with plenty of mixups as well as a decent close quarters defense.

Kideras

Smash Rookie
I love you for making a guide to Ike, he is my favorite char (By far)
I originally had a really good long combo guide in progress but i lost connection partway through, I might put it up for you if i ever get around to it
it included enough combos, situational and general, to KO bowser in under 20 seconds 0_o

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
Ive played 2 tournaments with Ike, and have never finished 1st, just 2nd or 3rd. If the few little things i read here before i played the little while ago, I probably would have one. Thanks for the guide of Ike

Palpi

Smash Hero
well dash attack has no guarenteed follow ups, but this usually get yours opponent offstage which puts you in a position to edge guard them with a fair or what ever move your hear desires.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'd hardly count the Eruption spike. It's almost impossible to pull off without SDing and it's weaker than an Aether spike from what I've seen.

I'd be happy to help out with finishing this guide if you guys ever want to get around to it. I've got quite a lot of spare time these days.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
That part of Eruption only hits like that if the opponent is grounded.
If in the air, it's just a normal Eruption. So basically, it'll never spike someone down.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
o wrong thread.

But on topic, I'd like to see/contribute more to seeing that Ike boards get a bit more thorough. Stage discussion and matchups being completed would be nice for one.

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
I'd hardly count the Eruption spike. It's almost impossible to pull off without SDing and it's weaker than an Aether spike from what I've seen

Well, from what I can gather, it'd be like normal Eruption Guarding with a well timed jump, so it seems safe enough...about the power it might as well be a dead spike because no one would expect a spike coming outta eruption and probably be too thrown off to meteor cancel it.

Edit: Nevermind what I just said:
That part of Eruption only hits like that if the opponent is grounded.
If in the air, it's just a normal Eruption. So basically, it'll never spike someone down.
What's the point of that?? Like seriously, where is the logic in that. Any who, it wouldn't be impossible, you'd just have to time it perfectly on a stage change like in the FE stage. lol

Edit again: Moderator?? What?? When did I earn this title? Oh, wait, haha I get it. xP

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, it's pretty dumb.
It's similar with Zelda's Dair, it'll never sweetspot unless the opponent airborne.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Red, did I tell you about that eruption spike conversation with Kirk so many months ago? That's exactly what went through my head as he and I figured out the mystery of the eruption spike hitbox.

The Ragnell Joke

Smash Rookie
Actually, I've been playing Brawl for only about a week and I PWN as Ike. Srsly, I bet I could kill a lot of you as him. He has a freaking good Smash. Plus he's sexy. And Ragnell rules.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Actually, I've been playing Brawl for only about a week and I PWN as Ike. Srsly, I bet I could kill a lot of you as him. He has a freaking good Smash. Plus he's sexy. And Ragnell rules.
You're so cute. If you wanna be taken seriously, how about you humble yourself first. Either that, or you'll just be ignored during your stay here.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
Anyway...after reading the thread im pretty sure ike has 3 spikes, Dsmash, Dtilt and aether spike. My wii has been out of commision for like 5 months so my memory of brawl is slowly slipping.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Anyway...after reading the thread im pretty sure ike has 3 spikes, Dsmash, Dtilt and aether spike. My wii has been out of commision for like 5 months so my memory of brawl is slowly slipping.
He has 2 spikes, 1 semi-spike and 1 terribad downward attack that can't really be considered a spike. Respectively (and in order of how often they should be used) they are Dair, Dtilt, Aether, and Eruption. Never try to get an Eruption spike... it's stupid, weak and not worth it. Aether spikes can be escaped with SDI, and there aren't many times when you should be specifically trying for one. Dtilt is very limited and predictable, it will only work on recovery methods that don't snap to the ledge.

Dair is your best bet for spiking, and it can be used in many different ways. You can walk-off Dair either manually or with the attack stick, you can obviously just jump and Dair which will work sometimes if your opponent isn't expecting it, and you can full-hop off stage to meet your opponent, faking an Fair so that they air dodge and then using the attack stick to Dair them after said air dodge.

Also, what was that first move you mentioned? Dsmash or something? Never heard of it, can't be any good.

Top Bottom